Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot watch HBO or Showtime on Xfinity

ANSWERED
New Poster

Cannot watch HBO or Showtime on Xfinity

Despite having subscriptions to both HBO and Showtime, I get a message saying that I need to upgrade and subscribe to these services.  I was in a chat session for over an hour and a half last night trying to get this resolved and was transferred six times and then during the last transfer something happened and It said the analyst left the chat.  Needless to say I'm very frustrated. 

Can anyone help resolve this issue?  This happened when I moved across town and took exact same equipment with me.  Oh and I can't access On Demand for HBO or Showtime anymore either. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot watch HBO or Showtime on Xfinity

I FIXED IT!! 

Just posted this to the forum as a new post, but here you go:

----

Very, very simple fix!

If you pay for premium (HBO/SHOWTIME) content with Comcast and have recently found yourself logging into Xfinity TV to watch your shows, only to encounter orange locked/key buttons and a request that you "subscribe" instead of the familiar green "PLAY" buttons, just follow these steps:

1. Log into Comcast Customer Central (the normal login to manage your account).

2. Go to: http://xfinity.comcast.net/profile/

3. Look to the right of the page (you may have to scroll down) under a box with the header "Devices & Diagnostics."

4. Scroll down within that box and click on the link called "Authorized PC devices."

5. You will see the following message: "In order to protect your account from abuse, there is a 3 device limit per Comcast Digital Cable subscription. Please manage your devices below. Removed devices can be added again upon next use."

6. When I navigated to this page, I discovered that the "3 devices" listed were ALL MY ONE SAME DEVICE I've been using to access my premium content (Showtime / HBO) online. Xfinity was not recognizing my various logins from the same device (my Mac) as such---but instead recognizing each subsequent login as a "new device." Apparently clearing the cache, etc. does not fix this.

7. I simply clicked "REMOVE" for all "three devices" (actually just my one device, but listed as "three devices" from three separate logins), thus completely clearing the list and thereby removing the block triggered by Xfinity's aforementioned "3 device limit."

8. I then logged out completely, cleared my cache just to be sure, launched Firefox again, accessed Xfinity TV online and guess what? Those annoying orange "locked" buttons have been replaced with pretty green "play" buttons once again, and I can watch my premium content online.

-----

This fixes it, I am telling you. This is definitely it. There is a glitch, and I guarantee you you guys all have "3 devices" (possibly from actually reaching your 3 device limit, but possibly also just from multiple logins from a single device) listed in this section of your account. Once you hit the "3 limit," Comcast locks you out of premium content on what it seems to be perceiving as "any device beyond your 3 device limit."

Delete these "3 devices" (as it says, you effectively add them back when you log in again, so deleting can do no harm), log out, clear your cache, close and reopen your browser, and then log back in again: problem 100% solved. Enjoy your HBO and/or Showtime content! 

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Official Employee

perdueka wrote:

Despite having subscriptions to both HBO and Showtime, I get a message saying that I need to upgrade and subscribe to these services.  I was in a chat session for over an hour and a half last night trying to get this resolved and was transferred six times and then during the last transfer something happened and It said the analyst left the chat.  Needless to say I'm very frustrated. 

Can anyone help resolve this issue?  This happened when I moved across town and took exact same equipment with me.  Oh and I can't access On Demand for HBO or Showtime anymore either. 

We are looking into your issue. I will update you when I learn more.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem and have not moved

Tags (1)
Official Employee

pitmail2019 wrote:

I have the same problem and have not moved

Try asking the person who you uses the log-in "RPITERA1239" to sign in if it's not you.

Try playing a video that you are trying to play and see if it works.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same exact issue.. I have Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, etc... I'm away on business and was checking out XfinityTV for the first time, and it says I need to upgrade my subscription.

Maybe related to this, I had an iPad 1 and used the HBO2Go and Cinemax2Go apps... then I bought an iPad 2, and I can no longer use either app. Very frustrating considering what I pay for service.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

reecepy wrote:

I'm having the same exact issue.. I have Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, etc... I'm away on business and was checking out XfinityTV for the first time, and it says I need to upgrade my subscription.

Maybe related to this, I had an iPad 1 and used the HBO2Go and Cinemax2Go apps... then I bought an iPad 2, and I can no longer use either app. Very frustrating considering what I pay for service.

Make sure that you are signed in with your Comcast.net e-mail address or Comcast ID. If you are not signed in or are signed in with a non-Comcast account, our site will not be able to verify your subscriptions.

Are you within the United States?

Also, try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Joe. I am signed in with my primary Comcast ID. I am within the United States, and I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. In all cases it says the premium channels are for subscribers only, and I'm given the option of subscribing.

Just grasping at straws, but could it have something to do with all my movie channels being in the "Digital Premier" bundle, and not being subscribed to individualy?

Official Employee

reecepy wrote:

Thanks Joe. I am signed in with my primary Comcast ID. I am within the United States, and I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. In all cases it says the premium channels are for subscribers only, and I'm given the option of subscribing.

Just grasping at straws, but could it have something to do with all my movie channels being in the "Digital Premier" bundle, and not being subscribed to individualy?

Our team is looking into this, I will let you know when I have an update.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Just a note, I received a voicemail last night from someone with XfinityTV - they asked if I was still having a problem viewing premium channels. I wasn't aware that anything had been done to fix my account, but I just wanted to state that no, I still can not view premium channels via xfinitytv.com

thanks,

Reece

New Poster

My family and I have subscribed to premium channels for years. I have been watching videos on xfinity pretty much every day for almost 2 years now with no problem on Google Chrome. Today, all of a sudden, when I tried to play a movie, it said I needed to buy a subscription. It's not an issue on Internet Explorer, but I only ever use Chrome, so I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get xfinity to work on Chrome again. It's not just HBO and Showtime it's all the premium channels.

Tags (1)
New Poster

Ihave same problem juststarted last night no Showtime or HBO. HBOgo works but not Xfinity.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I also am having the same problem. We subscribe to all the premium channels and I have never had a problem watching any of them online. I logged in to watch the dexter finale today and it asks me to subscribe. We have only one cable box and i checked there to see if showtime still worked and it certainly did. If there was nobody watching that tv at this time it wouldnt be an issue. Any help is appreciated

Tags (1)
New Poster

We're having the same issue too.  Of note in "My Xfinity Profile" it seems like it's unable to load my "Account Number" and "Primary User ID" in the Profile Snapshot section.  It just sits there at [Loading...] for both.  Maybe there's a communication issue with Xfinity online with accessing account info and as a result it's unable to load subscriptions?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Hi all,

Try deleting your cookies and cache then try again.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I tried that. Now it just says "your video will resume shortly" and never plays. Only on Google Chrome though, everything works fine on Internet Explorer still.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

sophia_c wrote:

I tried that. Now it just says "your video will resume shortly" and never plays. Only on Google Chrome though, everything works fine on Internet Explorer still.

There is something in Google Chrome that is preventing you from playing videos. To be clear, you are no longer getting orange keys?

While using your Google Chrome browser, please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Please don't get derailed because somebody posted a problem that is unrelated to what the rest of us are experiencing. I am getting the orange key for all premium channels as well, and I have the package with everything. Not stupid, I am signed in and have tried from multiple browsers. The issue is on your end.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

angelow wrote:

Please don't get derailed because somebody posted a problem that is unrelated to what the rest of us are experiencing. I am getting the orange key for all premium channels as well, and I have the package with everything. Not stupid, I am signed in and have tried from multiple browsers. The issue is on your end.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I am having the same issue... and I have already cleared all IE user data.... I will say the strangest thing was the other day when this occurred, I signed out and the movie played then, however trying that shortcut today did not suffice.

My Device Information My Zip Code: 77459 My Cable Provider: Comcast Houston Digital My myDVR Manager Status: My Set Top Box Names: My Queue setup: True Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: My public IP address: ****Withheld*** My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.0 My web browser: Explorer 8 - Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Comcast Install 1.0; GTB7.2; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 4.0.60531.0 My flash version: 11.1 r102 Javascript&colon; <script type="text/javascript"></script> enabled Cookies: enabled
Tags (1)
New Poster

Exact same issue here. I get the little orange keys telling me I "must be a subscriber" and yet I am a subscriber. I've been watching Dexter online for MONTHS without any problems whatsoever, and suddenly (as of last night, 12/25/2011) am locked out of all premium content (HBO and Showtime) online.

Here are my stats:

My Zip Code: Unknown / My Cable Provider: Unknown / My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed / My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed / My Queue setup: False / Facebook Queue Syncing: false / Facebook Connect: Not Installed / My public IP address: [REDACTED FOR PRIVACY] / My operating system: Mac - Intel Mac OS X 10.6 / My web browser: Firefox 3.6 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 // My system type: Desktop computer or other device / My Move player version: Not Installed / My Silverlight version: 4.0.60531.0 / My flash version: 10.3 r183 / Javascript&colon; enabled

Tried clearing cache; signing in and then out-----nothing. I never use IE (nor have I ever used it), nor do I have Chrome. I use only Firefox and, again, was basking in premium content online until around 24 hours ago, when I inexplicably encountered those stupid orange key buttons where I should have green "play" buttons. And yes, again, I am a subscriber and pay for premium content.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I am having the same problem being reported here.  I have a subscription to HBO, and I watch my subscription from my computer all the time without any problem.  For some reason today, my account is not recognizing my HBO subscription anymore.  This is very frustrating, and it looks like this issue has been reoccuring with other customers.  It would stand to reason that this issue should have been resolved already, so what do I need to do to fix it?

Tags (1)
New Poster

I FIXED IT!! 

----

Very, very simple fix!

If you pay for premium (HBO/SHOWTIME) content with Comcast and have recently found yourself logging into Xfinity TV to watch your shows, only to encounter orange locked/key buttons and a request that you "subscribe" instead of the familiar green "PLAY" buttons, just follow these steps:

3. Look to the right of the page (you may have to scroll down) under a box with the header "Devices & Diagnostics."

4. Scroll down within that box and click on the link called "Authorized PC devices."

5. You will see the following message: "In order to protect your account from abuse, there is a 3 device limit per Comcast Digital Cable subscription. Please manage your devices below. Removed devices can be added again upon next use."

6. When I navigated to this page, I discovered that the "3 devices" listed were ALL MY ONE SAME DEVICE I've been using to access my premium content (Showtime / HBO) online. Xfinity was not recognizing my various logins from the same device (my Mac) as such---but instead recognizing each subsequent login as a "new device." Apparently clearing the cache, etc. does not fix this.

7. I simply clicked "REMOVE" for all "three devices" (actually just my one device, but listed as "three devices" from three separate logins), thus completely clearing the list and thereby removing the block triggered by Xfinity's aforementioned "3 device limit."

8. I then logged out completely, cleared my cache just to be sure, launched Firefox again, accessed Xfinity TV online and guess what? Those annoying orange "locked" buttons have been replaced with pretty green "play" buttons once again, and I can watch my premium content online.

-----

This fixes it, I am telling you. This is definitely it. There is a glitch, and I guarantee you you guys all have "3 devices" (possibly from actually reaching your 3 device limit, but possibly also just from multiple logins from a single device) listed in this section of your account. Once you hit the "3 limit," Comcast locks you out of premium content on what it seems to be perceiving as "any device beyond your 3 device limit."

Delete these "3 devices" (as it says, you effectively add them back when you log in again, so deleting can do no harm), log out, clear your cache, close and reopen your browser, and then log back in again: problem 100% solved. Enjoy your HBO and/or Showtime content! 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much!! That was the issue.  

Frequent Visitor

I too am having issues authenticating. I am a Showtime subscriber and am able to play all their series except for Dexter and Homeland. Those two are giving me the orange key.
Tags (1)
New Poster

Official Employee

splourde wrote:

I FIXED IT!! 

----

Very, very simple fix!

-----

Thank you so much for your help. I am glad to hear that this is working for mostly all of you.

Of course, there should be messaging when you hit your 3 device limit. I will have our team look into it.

Thanks again splourde,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

This did not work for me. It's still showing an orange key for dexter and homeland.
Official Employee

Cubuff99 wrote:
This did not work for me. It's still showing an orange key for dexter and homeland.

Is Showtime working on your TV?

If you subscribe to any other premium channels, are those networks unlocked online?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yes Showtime works on my tv. It's just those 2 shows that are locked. I can access all other content including series and movies.
Official Employee

Cubuff99 wrote:
Yes Showtime works on my tv. It's just those 2 shows that are locked. I can access all other content including series and movies.

Only these two shows? This is strange. Please forgive me but I am going to ask you a strange question.

I know these shows have orange keys but have you tried clicking them anyway? If not, please try it and see if it works.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I have. Tells me I need to subscribe to SHO.
Official Employee

Cubuff99 wrote:
I have. Tells me I need to subscribe to SHO.

Our team is looking into your account; I will update you when I learn more.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Joe - I am having the same issue with dexter and homeland on my IPAD 2.  Can you look into my account as well.  spenray@comast.net

Frequent Visitor

I read another post you did saying it should be fixed. i just checked and it still doesnt work.

New Poster

I am having the exact same problem. Dexter and homeland aren't working on my iPad 2.
New Poster

Same for me. All other Shotime content is working, however not Dexter or Homeland. Those are the two shows I subscribed to Showtime for.
New Poster

I am having the same issue as well. Homeland and dexter don't work but the rest of it does? Any help would be appreciated
New Poster

I am having the exact same issue.  I had watched a whole bunch of Dexter episodes to catch up and then all of a sudden when I tried to watch the next episode in line I got the orange lock button.  I checked other content on the Xfinity app on my iPad2 and everything works except for Dexter and Homeland.  Strange.  Please help.  Thanks.

By the way, I was having issues with watching content on my computer through IE as well.  I tried the fix that splourde recommended above and it fixed it. 

I continue to have problems with Dexter and Homeland on my iPad2 though with the Xfinity app as mentioned.

New Poster

I've been having trouble with premium (HBO) videos over the past month.  Using Chrome was pretty hit or miss.  IE was working fine, until this afternoon.  I've probably watched 10+ episodes over the past couple of days, and now this morning I'm getting the orange key on Chrome, Firefox, and IE.  The proposed "solution" in this thread did not work.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem with my IPad. I cannot watch Homeland. It was working fine last week
New Poster

Same problem for me -- called Comcast and they said they know this is a problem but they don't have any idea how to fix it.  What great service.

New Poster

Same problem for me -- I tried the fix that someone recommended.  It worked -- but now it is not working again,.

New Poster

Having the same problem. Was watching Dexter online last night.. woke up this morning to continue watching another episode and was told I needed to subscribe to Showtime. Except, I am subscribed to showtime. Funny...I thought that's why I pay a ridiculously high cable bill every month..

Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue can't watch anything or  HBO SHO VH1 etc.. I am signed on with My same ID primary email I have had for as long as I have been with comcast !!  I also tried to sign in to my account and it asked for my last 4 didgits of SS# & phone number then saidSS# didn't match Phone Number on my account which has been the same as long also. this is rediculous

Frequent Visitor

It's fixed for me!!!!!! Dexter is showing green keys.
Frequent Visitor

That is for the iPad i should note. Dexter is showing green keys. !!!!!!!!
Frequent Visitor

Its working. Thanks.
Frequent Visitor

Working for me now too !!! Hope it stays that way Smiley Wink 

New Poster

I can't watch HBO on xfinity although I have the subscription. It is very frustrating how do i fix this!??

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats