Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't connect to xfinity tv portal

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to xfinity tv portal

So over the last few days I've not been able to connect to the xfinity tv portal. The page never loads and it stalls out on "establishing secure connection". I can't connect to every other page fine, even the xfinity tv app works fine on my mobile device. The only way I can get my pc to connect to that portal site is if I use a vpn and then obviously If I do that it will tell me I'm not on my home network. Why can't I connect to tv.xfinity.com without a vpn? ;(

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't connect to xfinity tv portal

What makes it more strange though is that it works through WiFi but hangs on Ethernet. That sounds like a config issue, yet I hear you when you say you haven't changed or installed anything.  Windows update might have made some sort of change though. Do you happen to have System Restore turned on.  If so, you could try using a restore point from a week or two ago.

Also, have you tried a different PC through Ethernet?

View answer in context
Service Expert

Do you have a Comcast gateway or router?  Which browser are you using?  What is the URL you are using?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hello. 

I am using a comcast gateway, model TG1682G. Using Chrome but I also tried Microsoft Edge and I'm trying https://tv.xfinity.com/

Service Expert

Xaces wrote:

Hello. 

I am using a comcast gateway, model TG1682G. Using Chrome but I also tried Microsoft Edge and I'm trying https://tv.xfinity.com/

You are not using OpenDNS or any other DNS provider are you?  

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Nope, only thing I have is a vpn and that is the only way I even get the site to load at this point. When I try to connect through my real ip the page times out.

Service Expert

Xaces wrote:

Nope, only thing I have is a vpn and that is the only way I even get the site to load at this point. When I try to connect through my real ip the page times out.

Hmm.  I have a Cisco DPC3941T and my Win 7 Pro computer is connected by ethernet.  I use Chrome, IE11, and Firefox and that URL works with all of them.  Have you tried logging into your Comcast account with your comcast.net primary userid before trying to go to that URL?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes sir I have tried that. I'm also connected through ethernet

Service Expert

Xaces wrote:

Someone mentioned that browser adblocker software might be the culprit.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy wrote:

Xaces wrote:

Someone mentioned that browser adblocker software might be the culprit.

Sadly that is not the culprit. Again the site works just fine if I change my IP with vpn software. Though that obviously creates the problem of me no longer being "at home". It's almost llike I'm banned from the website or something. I really wish a comcast employee would chime in with some help. =(

Frequent Visitor

I literally can't watch TV without this website working so this is a big problem for me. 

Problem Solver

Sorry, I'm not from Comcast, but since they didn't answer at all since you posted your original message, I thought I might add my 2 cents to the issue.

First, has it ever worked using a computer (not a smart device) in your home without going through a VPN?  Have you tried a second computer? Have you checked your account profile, to ensure the Gateway/modem model, MAC address, and serial number match what is actually in your home?  I would assume it should match since you said the Xfinity TV app works "in home". Always good to check though. Also, have you tried a gateway reboot? Lastly, some people have had success with getting this to work by reactivating their modem (http://www.xfinity.com/activate). YMMV.

Frequent Visitor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Sorry, I'm not from Comcast, but since they didn't answer at all since you posted your original message, I thought I might add my 2 cents to the issue.

First, has it ever worked using a computer (not a smart device) in your home without going through a VPN?  Have you tried a second computer? Have you checked your account profile, to ensure the Gateway/modem model, MAC address, and serial number match what is actually in your home?  I would assume it should match since you said the Xfinity TV app works "in home". Always good to check though. Also, have you tried a gateway reboot? Lastly, some people have had success with getting this to work by reactivating their modem (http://www.xfinity.com/activate). YMMV.

Thanks for posting! It was actually working fine about a week ago. This all happened randomly and yea the app works just fine. I actually had a hunch that I just tried as I was typing this reply and it proved to be correct. Whatever the problem is it has something to do with the ethernet. Using wifi works just fine. I just tried to connect to the site through wifi on my computer and it actually loaded. Right back to timing out when I use ethernet. 

Maybe someone can shine some light on this? It's progress but I don't like wifi on my pc so it's not a real solution. I also tried that activate link and I've tried rebooting the gateway before I even made this thread. Such a weird problem, I mean it's the same gateway but ethernet is causing tv.xfinity.com to not load and wifi works............

Problem Solver

Obviously, must be some difference between Ethernet and wifi.  Open File Explorer and paste this line into the address bar: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center

That will open the Network and Sharing Center

When using wifi, what does your active network show in the Network and Sharing Center, Public or Private?

Change to Ethernet and do the same. Does it show Public or Private?

On the Network and Sharing Center, click Change adapter settings.  This will open the Network Connections page.  Right click your WiFi connection and click Properties.  Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4) in the list and click the Properties button.  Ensure Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are both selected.  Click OK to exit. Then highlight Internet Protocol Version 6 (tcp/ipv6) in the list and click Properties. Ensure Obtain an IPv6 address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are both selected.  Click OK to exit. Then click OK on the Wi-Fi Properties page to exit.

Next check you Ethernet connection by right clicking it and clicking Properties. Do the same checks as above checking both Internet Protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4) and Internet Protocol Version 6 (tcp/ipv6) properties. 

Possibly something might have changed your Ethernet settings. Hopefully this will fix your issue.

Xaces wrote:

Thanks for posting! It was actually working fine about a week ago. This all happened randomly and yea the app works just fine. I actually had a hunch that I just tried as I was typing this reply and it proved to be correct. Whatever the problem is it has something to do with the ethernet. Using wifi works just fine. I just tried to connect to the site through wifi on my computer and it actually loaded. Right back to timing out when I use ethernet. 

Maybe someone can shine some light on this? It's progress but I don't like wifi on my pc so it's not a real solution. I also tried that activate link and I've tried rebooting the gateway before I even made this thread. Such a weird problem, I mean it's the same gateway but ethernet is causing tv.xfinity.com to not load and wifi works............

Frequent Visitor

Both of them say Public and both of them have the obtain automatically options checked already. ;(

Problem Solver

Sorry that didn't help. I have both Ethernet and Wifi working on my laptop, and both networks are set to Private in the Network and Sharing Center, although that really shouldn't make a difference. Still must be some difference in the settings between Ethernet and Wifi. I highly doubt Comcast would be able to help, since it seems like a settings issue (mostly likely out of their expertise level).

Is this a laptop or desktop? If desktop, could you try a different Ethernet card? If laptop, your choices are more limited, although you could try a USB network adaptor.

My only other suggestions would be to uninstall the driver for the Ethernet network adapter in Device Manager and let Windows re-install it.  That is something you would have to be comfortable doing though.

Xaces wrote:

Both of them say Public and both of them have the obtain automatically options checked already. ;(

Frequent Visitor

I find it hard to believe this is something on my end. It was working fine this whole time and randomly stops. Nothing changed on my pc and I am the only person who has access to it. I haven't even installed any programs and it is literally 1 website on the entire internet that will not load for me. It makes no sense for it to be something on my end. Literally one day everything was fine and the next day I wake up and can't connect anymore. I will try to reinstall network drivers but I don't think it will help. Anything is worth a shot at this point though =(

Problem Solver

What makes it more strange though is that it works through WiFi but hangs on Ethernet. That sounds like a config issue, yet I hear you when you say you haven't changed or installed anything.  Windows update might have made some sort of change though. Do you happen to have System Restore turned on.  If so, you could try using a restore point from a week or two ago.

Frequent Visitor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

lol wow I love you man. I guess you where right! Whatever the problem was reinstalliing my ethernet drivers fixed it. I dunno why It randomly decided to take a dump on itself but maybe it was that anniversary win 10 update. I'm glad I listened to you and decided to reinstall. Problem solved! thanks for taking the time. =)

Regular Visitor

My desktop works but not my wi-fi. I watch TV shows through my laptop only. It was working fine 2 days ago before the change to combine the TV GO and TV portal. Now I can't do anything. It's like it doesn't reconize my laptop. I shut off the ad blocker as well even though it was never a problem before. My desk top however is connected directly, but my laptop isn't allowing me to watch TV on comcast at all. It's crazy. Even the Comcast reps didn't know what was going on and never mentioned about the latest combine change. People need to be worried if they think Netflix is going to come in smooth. I have a Netflix account separate and will still pay for it because they give the best quality picture and I don't trust if going through Comcast will be better.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation