Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can only get new Poscan tv to pick up channel 3.

Contributor

Can only get new Poscan tv to pick up channel 3.

I just purchased a Poscan 32" LED TV to replace the 19" one in the bedroom. Plugged the tv in. Attached the cable wire into the back of the tv. Pulled up the menu and checked the settings on everything. I only have Comcast basic cable, so you just have a small black box with two cables. One for the wall and one for the TV. I ran the Scan Wizard as it suggested to find the channels. I am only able to get Channel 3. I shut it down, unplugged everything and started over. Checked the settings and everything seems right. In addition the picture is not crystal clear like the small one or the larger one in the living room. Not sure if this a setting that needs to be adjusted or this is just a piece of junk and needs to be returned. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Its most like a setting and me getting annoyed but we've all been there.

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can only get new Poscan tv to pick up channel 3.

You do not do a channel scan on the TV. The cablebox gets you all the channels. If the box has coax output, you put the TV on channel 3, then use the comcast remote to change channels.

Contributor

barbie123

Thanks for your quick reply. I will go back and unplug everything and start over again. Someone said it could be the code in the Comcast remote but I have no clue on how to find that infor or how to enter it. I will see if you suggestions works.

Silver Problem Solver

Good luck. Here is the remote info:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes/

Contributor

Thanks. Off to give both of these suggestions a try.

Contributor

barbie123

I started over and did as you suggested and all channels, as far as I can tell are listed. I never watch 90% of the shows that come with the package but I'll assume they picked them all up.

Now to play with the settings. I did a few times and not sure if it's just the brand but some things just look off despite making adjustments. 

The font is so large that credits and such don't even fit on the page. So I have ten days to play with it and see if its just setting or the brand. 

Thanks for all your help.

Silver Problem Solver

You bought an HD TV, but you do not have an HD cablebox. Things will not look right. You can add an HD box and service to your account if you want things to look much better. Your call.

Contributor

I have a HD TV in the living room and don't have a HD box and the picture is crystal clear.

I don't watch that much television to keep adding things on and I'm on fixed income so have to keep costs of everything limited. Like I said I don't watch 90% of the channels my package offers. Wish I could do away with them and have the choice to add some I would watch. I never had cable in my life until Channel 40/NBC went off the air. But that is a whole other story.

Contributor

One more question.

My granddaughter came yesterday and played with the TV. She is a wiz at hooking things up. Its 99% better as far as being clear. I told her what you said

about the HD box. Not sure why the TV I had in that room for years came in so clear without one but it did. She said well they sell a cable that is coxical on one end and hdmi on the other, it's a converator cable. Would that help or its what that is intended for. The one in living room on the main cable box is hooked up with HDMI. Or would I need a box? I went on the website to shop what the cost of a HD box would be but wasn't able to find the cost or I was just looking in the wrong place.Just curious if it would really make that much difference. And is the cost a monthly fee or a outright purchase.

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Sorry, but there is no cable that is coax on one end, and HDMI on the other.

You can swap your box for one with HDMI output. If you do not already have it, you would have to add HD service to your acount.

Contributor

Okay...bear with me. Seniors don't catch on quickly at times.

My box in the living is a HD box. The box in the bedroom (where new tv is) is connect with a Comcast adapter.

We did a great deal of research on this yesterday. As I stated I must watch finances that is why I only have the basic package.

Here is exactly what I am talking about.....Image result for coaxial cable with hdmi end

One end would screw into the wall (cable) and the end up into the HDMI slot in the new television. According to all the articles we

read it is used for exactly the purpose I asked about it. You can find one of the articles here: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-convert-coaxial-cable-to-hdmi. The main tv is hooked up with a HDMI cable but that might have something to do with the two men that came to install my cable a few years ago and didn't have the correct box and rigged it to be 10 channel box with no OnDemand.

Where do I find the cost of the HD service if i actually don't have it, as I said I looked on the Comcast website under shop but wasn't able to find that information. 

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

That cable in the picture does not exist. The article refers to an adapter box, which converts coax to HDMI. You do not want that, and that would not improve your picture. You cannot create an HD signal from coax. If you already have an HD box in your living room, you should have HD service. Do you watch HD channels in your living room? Is that TV connected via HDMI? If so, you can swap the other box for an HD DTA, at no added cost. HD service costs $9.95/mo, and that covers all TV's in your house.

Contributor

Again, thank you.

It's a long long story and started with the two men that came to setup my cable. I had never had cable before that, they arrived with a box that wasn't intended for the basic plan I had. So they made a called and got a code to basically rig the box for my plan. I assumed they knew what they were doing but then the months that followed I was being billed for the basic plan plus the $9.95 for HD. I had no clue what HD was...I just purchased a new flat screen tv and was us to the old big tv's. So I posted on the forum for help was told what to do in order to removed the HD from my plan. So no I don't watch in HD. It's just something I can't afford. And like I stated I don't watch that much TV. Most of the time it's one and just for noise.

But the way they ridge it they couldn't use their cables, played with my cabled that I had for the VCR and DVD player and left. So to this day none of us has been able to figure out what they did in the install but if I unplug any cables from the "rigged" cable box and try to hook up the VCR or DVD player I loss my cable. Four people have tried to figure out what they did.

So no I don't have HD but the TV's are very clear, I guess except for those that come here that are use to watching in HD. 

Thanks for your help and explaining why that HDMI/Cox cable would not work but for whatever reason a person uses them they are available at Walmart.

Have a great weekend.

Silver Problem Solver

Good luck. If you are happy with SD, not HD, service, that's fine. There are lots of posts here from people who buy a new HD TV, and hook it up to SD service, and it does not look good. VCR's and DVD players have nothing to do with cable, and should connect directly to your TV, using only your TV remote to select them. Nothing to figure out there, and Comcast has nothing to do with connecting them to your TV.

And I will say one more time. A coax to HDMI cable does not exist, not at Wal-Mart or anywhere else. Please post back if you actually get one.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation