Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can not stream premium channels despite subscription

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Can not stream premium channels despite subscription

I used to stream movies from premium channels all the time using my iPad and the web. I could watch premium channels, specifically HBO, Cinemax, and Starz, all the time using either the Xfinity.tv web site, the Xfinity TV app on my various iDevices, or using th HBOgo app. Recently, after a subscription change, I can not do any of these things. Whether I use Xfinity's web site, app, or HBO's app it tells me a need a subscription and redirects me to comcasts website. I have a full subscription to HBO, Cinemax, and Starz. It's very difficult to find someone who can help me. Most of the people at tech support have no idea. I was once even given a special number to call, but nobody ever picked up. When I did get ahold of someone, who I can only hope was outsourced, I was instructed to clear my cache, cookie, etc, reinstall the app and try again. None of this has helped on any of my access points. Sort of canceling my subscription does anybody have any other advice? Hummel
Accepted Solution

Re: Can not stream premium channels despite subscription

Update and resolution: Well, I don't know what happened. Comcast tried to callee this afternoon but I missed the call. However, once again as if by miracle changes have occurred. This afternoon HBO started working. With this now all the premium channel I subscribe to work. I changed nothing, I simply went to the web site and open the app on my iPad as usual and HBO was magically unlocked. I'm not sure if it was something comcast did or not, but it's working and it doesn't seem to be a result of anything I did. No matter how many times I cleared the chase, cookie, and hsitory and reinstalled the apps it never changed a thing. Just time and magic worked. Thank you
View answer in context
Tags (1)
Official Employee

Briehummel780 wrote:
I used to stream movies from premium channels all the time using my iPad and the web. I could watch premium channels, specifically HBO, Cinemax, and Starz, all the time using either the Xfinity.tv web site, the Xfinity TV app on my various iDevices, or using th HBOgo app. Recently, after a subscription change, I can not do any of these things. Whether I use Xfinity's web site, app, or HBO's app it tells me a need a subscription and redirects me to comcasts website. I have a full subscription to HBO, Cinemax, and Starz. It's very difficult to find someone who can help me. Most of the people at tech support have no idea. I was once even given a special number to call, but nobody ever picked up. When I did get ahold of someone, who I can only hope was outsourced, I was instructed to clear my cache, cookie, etc, reinstall the app and try again. None of this has helped on any of my access points. Sort of canceling my subscription does anybody have any other advice? Hummel

Are these channels working on your TV?

Did you keep these channels when you changed your subscription?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I can view these channels just fine on all of my televisions. The changes in my subscription were small. HBO and Starz were just a price change, Cinemax was added and Showtime was removed.

Since then I can not view either the new stations (Cinemax) or the ones I used to enjoy online (HBO and Starz).

Unfortunately, because I use only Cable cards I cannot attempt onDemand access from my cable box.

Thank you.
Official Employee

Briehummel780 wrote:
Yes, I can view these channels just fine on all of my televisions. The changes in my subscription were small. HBO and Starz were just a price change, Cinemax was added and Showtime was removed.

Since then I can not view either the new stations (Cinemax) or the ones I used to enjoy online (HBO and Starz).

Unfortunately, because I use only Cable cards I cannot attempt onDemand access from my cable box.

Thank you.

I will further look into this issue.

In the meantime, please try deleting your cookies and cache and then sign in and then try watching a video again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I deleted the cookies, cache, browsing history, activeX downloads, etc. In fact I cleared everything. The problem still exists both on my home computer and work computer. The Apps were deleted and reinstalled on all of my family's iDevices and still fail to work.

Thank you.
Silver Problem Solver

do you have the latest versions of silverlight, and flash?  make sure your not using ie9.  Try firefox.

Frequent Visitor

Really? That's what you come up with? Maybe we should leave this to the professionals. Of course I have the lattest versions. In case you didn't bother to read the entire posting everything worked just fine until a few days ago when they made changes to my premium subscription. And seeing as how I can watch non-premium content just fine I don't think it's my software that's keeping me from watching subscription content. It's comcasts server that is giving me the lockout, not my software. Also, please explain how having the latest version silver light and flash make a difference when viewing on an iDevice. And, by the way, explorer works just find and is a completely stable viewing platform. Please get off you Firefox high horse and realize that Microsoft is not the devil. (Which is hard to admit being a Mac and Linux user myself).
Frequent Visitor

Update: This is more for people reading theses posts as research than for the technician. I receive a call from a technician this afternoon. I was very surprised as I didn't expect my issue here to be brought to a call center technician. I was very pleased seeing as how I had had the most difficult time getting a support technician on the phone who could assist me. We spent about 30 minutes on the phone while he collected details of every symptom. The major thing he had me do was log onto the Xfinity.tv site and click the sprocket icon on the right side of the black bottom toolbar. From that settings page I was asked to enter the "Manage My Devices" section. There I found several devices listed under the "Your Computers" sections. Apparently you can only have so many computers accessing your account with a single log in. Though I had never had any problems logging in from any computer I was at, he asked me to click "Remove" on all three devices. Once that was done he aske me to log out, and clear the cache, cookies, and history (the Comcast mantra). Initially nothing changed. Next I was asked to use iDevice and delete the Xfinity app, clear the history, cache and cookies (again) and reinstall the app. I declined as I had no time at the moment. I was promised a call back the next day. Lo-and-behold!! Something changed in the middle of the night. Here I sit in my office looking for something to watch, out of nowhere I can now watch 2 out of 3 of my paid premium channels. Though HBO is still locked out Cinemax, Starz, and Encore are now working just fine. This is without a cache, cookie, and history cleansing; without a deletion and reinstall of the app; and without making any changes to the browser in my desktop. Hopefully HBO will magically appear shortly, maybe with the new extended channel roll-out starting tomorrow. I'll post a follow-up once I hear from the technician tomorrow.
Frequent Visitor

Update and resolution: Well, I don't know what happened. Comcast tried to callee this afternoon but I missed the call. However, once again as if by miracle changes have occurred. This afternoon HBO started working. With this now all the premium channel I subscribe to work. I changed nothing, I simply went to the web site and open the app on my iPad as usual and HBO was magically unlocked. I'm not sure if it was something comcast did or not, but it's working and it doesn't seem to be a result of anything I did. No matter how many times I cleared the chase, cookie, and hsitory and reinstalled the apps it never changed a thing. Just time and magic worked. Thank you
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation