Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can I use the TV Remote APP to control a TV when I am not even at home?

New Poster

Can I use the TV Remote APP to control a TV when I am not even at home?

I know this sounds really strange but please bear with me...

my father is 92 years old and is a new Comcast TV customer.  He has very little feeling in his fingertips so lots of times he makes mistakes changing TV channels.  

It would be great if I could help him remotely.  

Is there any way I could use the TV remote app on my iphone so when I am talking to him on the phone and he says he wants to watch the Today show I can change the channel for him?

Or do I have to be in range of his set-top box?

Problem Solver

Re: Can I use the TV Remote APP to control a TV when I am not even at home?

That is a really interesting question!  The main issue is not if you can control "a" TV away from home (you can). The Remote App allows you to control "your" cable box and TV from anywhere since it uses the internet.

The question is if you can control more than one TV, especially one that is different from your "main" TV. I imagine that you would have to somehow "switch" to a different profile or something and that you'd have to authenticate to the second box.

I don't know if that is possible, but it seems like it would be a great idea.

If your father has internet access, another possible solution might be to teach him how to use the Xfinity web site to control his TV.  I actually use the web site from my laptop all the time because I find it much easier to point and click my way to different channels (as well as manage DVR recordings).

Great question; I'll be watching for other answers myself. 

New Poster

Yes you can..  to put it simply.

Regular Contributor

If you have your father's Comcast ID and password, you could login to the XFINITY TV app or the XFINITYTV.com website to change the channel.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation