Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Backing up DVR scheduled recordings through XfinityTV Website

Regular Contributor

Backing up DVR scheduled recordings through XfinityTV Website

So I encountered a some what puzzling and very upsetting problem today.  My cable boxes rebooted on Saturday or Sunday to what seems like a power spike.  Usually not a problem, but today I noticed my cable boxes all had "To Be Announced" on the all the shows.  Ok no problem I called comcast and expected them to 'Hit' my boxes to kick the stupid thing into downloading the guide data.  I've had to do this once before just after my initial setup.  Yes Comcast has checked and I have no signal issues or anything of the sort so they say.

Well low and behold the nice lady on the phone didn't "hit" my box she decided to re-initialize my boxes like they were a fresh setup.  This seems to have cancelled or deleted all my Scheduled series recordings for all my shows.  All my previously taped shows are still on the DVR but my complete configuration including guide color and setup were all wiped out.  This is very irritating as I was not informed by said nice lady that this would happen.  As I said I've had my boxes "hit" in the past with no loss of anything and the guide seems to download the data and go along it's merry way.

So I called back to see what my options were knowing full well this was comcast and that I was SoL.  The rep on the line told me that I should be able to backup my scheduled recordings data on the website so this wouldn't happen again and the box could just down load it.  Now I consider myself a fairly smart person when I re-signed up with comcast I looked over the whole website and setup or configured just about everything I could.  When I'm on the configure DVR screen to search for through the TV listings to find the shows I want to record it's easy enough to find and schedule such a series recording.  Now when I look at the actual DVR manager I can of course see the shows I have setup series recordings for.  No where on there do I see a "Backup" or "Save" to the almighty Comcast Cloud backup service so this doesn't happen again.

Am I simply missing the button/screen and should be calling asking where mine is?  Or is said call center employee as I suspect simply trying to get me off the phone?  Seems the Website is able to poll my box and see what I have scheduled.  Seems it would also be straight forward to pull that data back to my on-line account and store it for times like this.  Tell me am I just missing something or should my system have saved this data and I shouldn't be in this very bad place.

No I don't have X1 and seems I don't want it or will never get it by the shear fact they were talking about it 3 years ago when I left Comcast and they aren't any further along now that I've come back.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Backing up DVR scheduled recordings through XfinityTV Website

Jcato77 wrote:

So I encountered a some what puzzling and very upsetting problem today.  My cable boxes rebooted on Saturday or Sunday to what seems like a power spike.  Usually not a problem, but today I noticed my cable boxes all had "To Be Announced" on the all the shows.  Ok no problem I called comcast and expected them to 'Hit' my boxes to kick the stupid thing into downloading the guide data.  I've had to do this once before just after my initial setup.  Yes Comcast has checked and I have no signal issues or anything of the sort so they say.

Well low and behold the nice lady on the phone didn't "hit" my box she decided to re-initialize my boxes like they were a fresh setup.  This seems to have cancelled or deleted all my Scheduled series recordings for all my shows.  All my previously taped shows are still on the DVR but my complete configuration including guide color and setup were all wiped out.  This is very irritating as I was not informed by said nice lady that this would happen.  As I said I've had my boxes "hit" in the past with no loss of anything and the guide seems to download the data and go along it's merry way.

So I called back to see what my options were knowing full well this was comcast and that I was SoL.  The rep on the line told me that I should be able to backup my scheduled recordings data on the website so this wouldn't happen again and the box could just down load it.  Now I consider myself a fairly smart person when I re-signed up with comcast I looked over the whole website and setup or configured just about everything I could.  When I'm on the configure DVR screen to search for through the TV listings to find the shows I want to record it's easy enough to find and schedule such a series recording.  Now when I look at the actual DVR manager I can of course see the shows I have setup series recordings for.  No where on there do I see a "Backup" or "Save" to the almighty Comcast Cloud backup service so this doesn't happen again.

Am I simply missing the button/screen and should be calling asking where mine is?  Or is said call center employee as I suspect simply trying to get me off the phone?  Seems the Website is able to poll my box and see what I have scheduled.  Seems it would also be straight forward to pull that data back to my on-line account and store it for times like this.  Tell me am I just missing something or should my system have saved this data and I shouldn't be in this very bad place.

No I don't have X1 and seems I don't want it or will never get it by the shear fact they were talking about it 3 years ago when I left Comcast and they aren't any further along now that I've come back.

I am sorry but there is currently no option to back up your recordings or settings.

Our product team is constantly working on improving the site to make the best experience possible. Thanks for your suggestion; we'll consider your idea for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation