Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

BJ and the Bear

Regular Contributor

BJ and the Bear

OK, so now, apparently, CBS is running episodes of BJ and the Bear every night and I have decided to record them. 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? Also, NCIS is repeats that I have specifically excluded. Using the website to set up recordings has gotten to be completely useless. 

ScreenHunter_100 Jan. 27 19.05.jpg

Contributor

Re: BJ and the Bear

Same for me here. However I don't have the issue with NCIS re-runs wanting to record. I have been seeing BJ and The Bear showing up on the DVR portal for a couple weeks now.  Thought it was just me. Are you on X1? I tried X1 3 times and it never worked for me, but come May I will probably be forced to go to it.  Back when I tried it, recodings made online only showed up for the 1st recording all the other ones requested required the box to be rebooted.  I want to schedule my stuff from the web using a real computer and not by talking to a phone, tablet or remote.  Faster and more accurate to do so.

Regular Contributor

No, I'm on the old platform. The NCIS thing is probably one of the glitches that hits all series recordings. I've stopped using series recording as it frequently records dozens of repeats, or worse, doesn't record a new show. 

If you search for BJ and the Bear on the website, there are no listings on TV, On Demand, online or anywhere else. From everything I can see, the show hasn't been shown since 1981. 

I hope X1 works, but main reason I haven't looked at it is I always have a backlog of TV recorded and if you switch, you lose it all. Don't know why Comcast can't deal with that issue. They're files. Copy them.

Contributor

Have you by chance reported this? I haven't yet since the last time I tried to get an issue like this resolved (listing schedules that were incorrect on I think SyFy) it took me a week, many phone calls, chats, E-mails etc. before I got someone that vould fix it. As I recall they messed with the feed (East coast vers. West cost) and forgot to put the schedule back like it was supposed to be.  I am betting that if I reported this it would just result in hits to boxes, which is not the issue and a bunch or run around and wasted time. 

For the most part my series recordings go off without a hitch and I very rarely actualy get duplicates of re-runs. At times it will show issues a few days in the future, but by the time the recordings happen things get resolved. My most recent issue show is a BYU TV production Granite Flats that is currenty in hiatus, but every week my DVR shoes many instances that are not new, hoever they never record. The one big issue I do run into is that if a show was set to record, but is preempted for any reason my DVR will "think" it has recorded it and when it does air for real it won't record it since eventhough is shows new it has a record that it recorded.  I have to remember and override those or they don't get recorded and I have to resort to OnDemand (if it's on there).

I too have noticed that BJ and The Bear is not in the listings, so it's very strange that it would be showing up.  I see that it is for the next couple days and then later this week and into next it is gone (for now).

Contributor

I forgot to mention that I also have the issue with X1. I have a big backlog of stuff to watch on the DVR that I never seem to get to.  Some of that is on other services and a ton of movies that can be sourced easily elseware.  I think they would rather p*ss their customers by having them loose their recording than that the bit of time it would take to train their techs on how to transfer the recordings.  I know it can be done.  I have toyed with the idea of getting one of the external HDs that they now support to expand your recording space.  Wonder if you do that if you can move all the recordings off the box and onto the HD for use with a different DVR box? I haven't yet looked into buyying one since I would just record more junk I have to watch.  This way I know that each hour takes ~1% of the space and I keep it around 65% or so to make sure I can record a heavy week of TV while away without having to worry about it too much.  If I had any more space I would have to spend all my sleepng hours as well as waking hours getting caught up.

Silver Problem Solver

What does the cable box itself say is on? I have noticed lately that the web guide often has 'unkown title' or similar for some shows that the box itself properly displays.

Regular Contributor

It doesn't show on the cable box at all. It's in scheduled shows on the web, but not on the DVR. Usually, when the guide says unknown, it's also unknown on the DVR. So I come back from being out of town for a week and I've got 20 shows called unknown on the DVR. PIA.

Regular Contributor

Kludge, reported it? nah. Wouldn't waste my time. I've had very few calls with Comcast support in which the person I was talking to knew what they were doing. I've had support tell me they can see my cable modem and it's working after I unplugged it. I've had them say there is no outage in my area when a pole has been knocked down and the broken cable is laying in the street.  

Regular Contributor

So.... I open my DVR manager and go to scheduled programs and BJ and the Bear is still there. I click on one to open it and click on Cancel Series. Am I sure I want to cancel the series? Yes. Series "Elementary" Cancelled. 

Just goes back to what I said, the record series function has been screwed up for years. 

Just going to go in one at a time and cancel all series. More work on the front end, but Comast doesn't seem to be able to make this work.

Regular Contributor

Never mind. Went back in and set an individual recording for Elementary tonight and it shows up as BJ and the Bear in DVR manager. 

Silver Problem Solver

Programs have ID codes used to identify them. It seems as if the ID code for Elementary is mixed up with BJ on the web site. That said, I checked mine, and it properly ID's as Elementary in the DVR Manager for next Thursday. This is for the HD version. Your first post seems to show it on a low channel number, which is usually SD.

Regular Contributor

Yes, SD. I quit recording 'standard' TV shows in HD as it filled up the DVR too quickly.  Don't understand how the code could get mixed up with a program that doesn't exist. 

Regular Contributor

I swapped out one of tonight's shows that was showing as BJ and the Bear to the HD version and it's still says BJ and the Bear. This is for Hawaii 5-0 on CBS. It seems as if CBS has the market cornered on non-existent 30 year old TV shows. 

Contributor

andyross wrote:

Programs have ID codes used to identify them. It seems as if the ID code for Elementary is mixed up with BJ on the web site. That said, I checked mine, and it properly ID's as Elementary in the DVR Manager for next Thursday. This is for the HD version. Your first post seems to show it on a low channel number, which is usually SD.

The problem with your thinking here is that a) BJ and The Bear is showing up as the title for multiple CBS shows, and b) all of my recordings are HD (SD hurts my ears and makes my eyes bleed). It looks like that after yestarday I no longer have any shows showing up with that title.  I do have an ongoing issue however. DVR manager refuses to show 12 Monkeys on the schedule or in the series priority despite that fact that it is on my DVR. I have deleted the series request and re-created it mutliple times on the DVR but that series refuses to add to the web DVR Manager for some strange reason. Series I have requestid after it are showing up both places. Very odd. I usually do not have this much problem with DVR manager other than when I tried the X1 platform.

Silver Problem Solver

I have found the sync between the DVR and the on-line DVR Manager is VERY poor and often doesn't show any changes I make for 2-3 days. Also, on it's list of actual recordings, if I don't check it for a few weeks, I can find stuff that was watched and deleted weeks earlier.

Contributor

Ya I've had that problem also with resordings showing up in DVR mamager that have long since been deleted.  This is the 1st time I have had issues with a web or DVR created series recording (other that with X1) that has failed to show up on one or the other.  It's been weeks so I don't think it is a delay.  When I first set the recording it also acted funny and did not want to make the 1st copule of weeks a series instead it showed them as one time recordings.  It's odd since all of the new ones that have been created are there in series prority, but there is just one less one online and no gap in numbers.

Regular Contributor

Yeah' Ive got half dozen shows going back to December that I've watched and deleted that still show on the DVR manager. 

Silver Problem Solver

In the DVR manager, I just 'delete' them if I am sure they are actually gone from the DVR itself.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation