Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Audio dropouts/Pixelation/Picture Freeze-ups

Frequent Visitor

Audio dropouts/Pixelation/Picture Freeze-ups

This is so frustrating. I am having issues on all channels with audio dropouts/pixelation/picture freeze-ups. Had a technician out to my house once. He replaced some cables but the issue is still happening.

I am spending alot of time monitoring this problem on the TiVo diagnostics screen and from what I an tell, the problems worsens dramatically in the evenings even though the signals levels do not appear to have changed much at all. Large chunks of Corrected and Uncorrected codewords are showing up in what appear to be bursts of errors. Then the error counters don't move at all for a while.

How do I get to the bottom of this problem? Watching TV with these interruptions is so painful.

New Poster

Re: Audio dropouts/Pixelation/Picture Freeze-ups

I have been having the same problem.  Based on an earlier suggestion by an Comcast tech, I replaced my old cable modem with a new Motorola unit, and the problem went away.  For a week or so, but is back worse than ever.  How about some help here, Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

It's happening again tonight, anywhere from 300 to 930 uncorrectable codewords, and 160 to 1700 corrected codewords, over the course of 50 minutes (from 8:45pm to 9:35pm). The frequencies that the tuners were locked to were 123 MHz, 267 MHz, 381 MHz, 471 MHz, 477 MHz, and 513 MHz. So clearly, this is a broadband issue, not just some interference on a few frequencies.

All tuners had signal strengths between 85% and and 91% (the sweetspot according to TiVo support pages) and SNRs between 34dB and 36dB, so it is not a signal level issue either.

Tomorrow, I am going to run the same experiment where I run a single cable from Comcast's input to my house to my TiVo, with no splitters, no amps, no other devices attached to the coax at all. I will report back what happens.

Frequent Visitor

Strange to have the problem go on "hiatus" for a week only to return. My modem is an Arris SB6183, less than a year old.

Frequent Visitor

The problem continues. Hard to say if it is intermittent noise on the Comcast channels or possibly an intermittent hardware problem. I am getting a second TiVo box which I will run side by side with the first and that should allow to rule out the hardware if both boxes get dropouts and pixelization at identical places in recordings. 

Im disappointed that I have received no replies from Comcast personnel in this thread. 

Regular Visitor

I have a Tivo Premier with cable card and Comcast TV.

For the last few days I'm experiencing picture and sound dropouts and pixelation. All of the channels from 2 to 1000+ are showing this problem, both high def. and standard def. I've seen this before but it usually is rare. But the last few days, this has gotten really bad and almost makes shows unwatchable because the sound keeps stuttering along with the pixelation.

The picture and sound is fine for 10 to 30 seconds, then the picture will show some pixelation for one or two seconds. Then it will be fine again for 10 to 30 seconds. This repeats continuously and usually includes sound dropouts. It was really bad last evening, and it is still doing this at 5:30 AM this morning, all channels 2 to 1000+.

It doesn't matter if I'm watching live TV or something I recorded. When I press the rewind button on live TV, I can replay this effect, and I can pause it when the pixelation is showing.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with my cable modem because the main cable is split in two before it reaches the cable modem. The cable modem gets one of these, and the Tivo get the other. Things have been fine up until lately.

PowerMove: I was wondering did you ever get the second Tivo? Did you see the same problem?  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I did get the second Roamio and ran it in parallel with the first one. Both behaved virtually the same with significant numbers of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected codeword errors (according to TiVo Diagnostics pages). I felt confident at that point that my issues were the fault of my Comcast signal and not the TiVo's. 

About a week afterwards, I spotted a Comcast service truck on my street. I spoke to the technician who said he was out to fix the ”messed up" cable in the neighborhood. Things changed after that. Now both TiVo boxes (and my cable modem) make a lot more Corrected codeword errors than before (concerning!), but ZERO Uncorrected codeword errors (hooray!). This means that there should be no TV signal corruption and so far that appears to be the case. I haven't had a chance to watch much recent programming so I will continue to monitor the situation. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation