Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

why do I need to be connected to my own wifi to stream? When I had FIOS I could stream on any wifi

Highlighted
New Poster

why do I need to be connected to my own wifi to stream? When I had FIOS I could stream on any wifi

Why do I need to be on my home WIFI to stream? When I had FIOS I could stream on any WIFI.

Official Employee

Re: why do I need to be connected to my own wifi to stream? When I had FIOS I could stream on any wi

littlebighorn wrote:

Why do I need to be on my home WIFI to stream? When I had FIOS I could stream on any WIFI.

There are up to 200 live channels and 40,000 On Demand choices you can watch from anywhere in the USA - not just your home network (actual counts depend on your subscribed channels).  However, when you are in-home and connected to your XFINITY network, there is some additional content (the same that would be available on your set-top box) which is delivered over the Comcast managed network (not the Internet).  The programmer rights for these 2 sets of content is different (in-home rights tend to offer broader availability and doesn't count against any data usage plans since it doesn't use the Internet). The rights to stream content over the Internet (called "TV Everywhere" rights) are not always available from programmers or may be limited on a particular platform (web versus mobile).  For example, the XFINITY Stream portal for computers includes CBS content while CBS does not offer that for mobile devices via XFINITY.

I hope this helps clear it up.

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation