Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

why did comcast discontinue tv go

New Poster

why did comcast discontinue tv go

why did xfinity replace tv go with a terrible downgrade like xfinity tv?

Service Expert

Re: why did comcast discontinue tv go

pmarylaird68 wrote:

The functions of TV Go were added to the TV app. I used the TV go app to download on demand to use when away from internet or where I would have had to use cell data. 

Is there a feature of the TV Go app that you can't use on the TV app?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

pmarylaird68 wrote:

The functions of TV Go were added to the TV app. I used the TV go app to download on demand to use when away from internet or where I would have had to use cell data. 

Is there a feature of the TV Go app that you can't use on the TV app?

I think the point is that the old tv go app functioned better than the new tv app like the old website functioned better than the new website.

New Poster

On the TV go app, when we were not at home I could stream the missed show ot the live feed to a tv so the entire family could watch it... with the new app we have to huddie around a tiny phone and if you have small children, that makes for a lot of bickering... the new app is horrible and even if streamed on just phone the size is like 2x3" which gives me a migraine trying to watch. Go back to the tv go app - was so much better even with its limits!! Not unless there is a way to get around this blocked function now.
New Poster

Everytime i put a comment in about this issue comcast removes it. Since they retired the old tvgo app you cant stream through chromecast or you cant have it hooked up via hdmi port. What a joke
Service Expert

Kcmprize wrote:
Everytime i put a comment in about this issue comcast removes it. Since they retired the old tvgo app you cant stream through chromecast or you cant have it hooked up via hdmi port. What a joke

using a desk/laptop you can use the chrome browser and chromcast dongle to send your computer screen to the TV as you describe. Be sure to maximize the window on the browser to make the TV window full screen.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Chellefmt3 wrote:
On the TV go app, when we were not at home I could stream the missed show ot the live feed to a tv so the entire family could watch it... with the new app we have to huddie around a tiny phone and if you have small children, that makes for a lot of bickering... the new app is horrible and even if streamed on just phone the size is like 2x3" which gives me a migraine trying to watch. Go back to the tv go app - was so much better even with its limits!! Not unless there is a way to get around this blocked function now.

see my reply one bost before this reply.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I would really like to know WHY. I loved the TVGO app. It was actually better than Netflix for streaming on my phone and it was responsive and fast. This new app is terrible. Horrible doesn't begin to describe the miserable experience. WHY!!!!!?? Are you guys chuckleheads? Don't fix what isn't broken esp. With something even more broken and low performing as this garbage. Again WHY!!!!!!!!!!!???? Really take a quality assurance look at your product. WHY!!!!!!!!!!?????Why would you replace what you had, with this?????!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!?????
Service Expert

Shadowwraith wrote:
I would really like to know WHY. I loved the TVGO app. It was actually better than Netflix for streaming on my phone and it was responsive and fast. This new app is terrible. Horrible doesn't begin to describe the miserable experience. WHY!!!!!?? Are you guys chuckleheads? Don't fix what isn't broken esp. With something even more broken and low performing as this garbage. Again WHY!!!!!!!!!!!???? Really take a quality assurance look at your product. WHY!!!!!!!!!!?????Why would you replace what you had, with this?????!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!?????

not seeing a stated problem. What is it that you are complaining about specifically? I use the stream app all the time and it works great.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Okay, I'll try to state a clear problem for you.

I want to download TV shows to a phone and play them on a TV in a hotel when traveling.

In the past with Directv I've done this through casting, I've used an MHL capable HDMI cable, I'd now like to use a USB-C to HDMI cable. 

All of these things are completely possible, but Comcast/Xfinity has chosen to block them.

My stay with Xfinity will be rather short before I return to Directv if there is no movement forward on this issue.

Service Expert

dcldcl wrote:

Okay, I'll try to state a clear problem for you.

I want to download TV shows to a phone and play them on a TV in a hotel when traveling.

In the past with Directv I've done this through casting, I've used an MHL capable HDMI cable, I'd now like to use a USB-C to HDMI cable. 

All of these things are completely possible, but Comcast/Xfinity has chosen to block them.

My stay with Xfinity will be rather short before I return to Directv if there is no movement forward on this issue.

can't do both download and play on TV. you can use a desk/laptop to play via hdmi from web page version of Xfinity TV stream and play your own recordings, much of the on-demand catalog, and 'togo' TV stream feeds. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

...and that's my problem. I should be able to do that. I did it for years under Directv. Appearently you used to be able to do it with Xfinity. 

There is no techical reason why I can't play a downloaded video out to an HDMI cable, Xfinity has chosen to disable this function.

I'm really not an Xfinity basher, I like just about everything else about their services.

But I don't understand the reason they flipped the switch the wrong way on this issue.

Official Employee

dcldcl wrote:

...and that's my problem. I should be able to do that. I did it for years under Directv. Appearently you used to be able to do it with Xfinity. 

There is no techical reason why I can't play a downloaded video out to an HDMI cable, Xfinity has chosen to disable this function.

I'm really not an Xfinity basher, I like just about everything else about their services.

But I don't understand the reason they flipped the switch the wrong way on this issue.

I can answer that. Comcast licenses nearly all content from other companies (except NBC Universal which we own but operate as a separate business). These contracts have very strict rules around protecting that content from theft/copying/etc. HDMI cables can be quite easily connected to recording devices which would violate the terms of our distribution agreements with the programmers from which we license the content.  

There were a few versions of the TV Go app with bugs which didn't properly block HDMI and mirroring of content to external displays. That wasn't intentional and we quickly "fixed" the issue once discovered.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Problem Solver

What if I want to watch channels on tv go section that aren't availble on the linnear lineup. like BET hip hop do I have to buy a bigger desktop moniter to enjoy it? come on man why can't we at least send channels from tv go to our tv screens that aren't avaible on our set top boxes. 

Solution make bet hip hop and BET soul availble on the set top boxes

problem fixed.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation