Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

whenever I try to go to fullscreen while watching live tv its cropped on both sides, Help!!!

New Poster

whenever I try to go to fullscreen while watching live tv its cropped on both sides, Help!!!

Service Expert

Re: whenever I try to go to fullscreen while watching live tv its cropped on both sides, Help!!!

are you watching a numbered (linear) channel? is it SD or HD? Do you pay for HD service (if on a Roku)?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: whenever I try to go to fullscreen while watching live tv its cropped on both sides, Help!!!

I'm having the same problem. It started last night (July 31).

• It's happening on all channels (that I've tried), incluing SD and HD. These are channels I regularly watch.
  • It happens on the Safari browser, but not on the Firefox browser.
    • Safari – version 10.0.3 (11602.4.8.0.1)
    • Firefox – version 54.0.1 (64-bit)
  • The Safari browser works fine in full screen on other videos (such as youtube)

Below are screenshots of the very same show. The first one shows a channel in regular screen (showing the wide view with the browser window visible). The second one is that exact same channel and show after I clicked the double arrow at the bottom, right. Notice even the show info at the bottom is cut off.

fullscreen problem 1.jpg
fullscreen problem 2.jpg
Service Expert

Complexity2 wrote:

I'm having the same problem. It started last night (July 31).

• It's happening on all channels (that I've tried), incluing SD and HD. These are channels I regularly watch.
  • It happens on the Safari browser, but not on the Firefox browser.
    • Safari – version 10.0.3 (11602.4.8.0.1)
    • Firefox – version 54.0.1 (64-bit)
  • The Safari browser works fine in full screen on other videos (such as youtube)

Below are screenshots of the very same show. The first one shows a channel in regular screen (showing the wide view with the browser window visible). The second one is that exact same channel and show after I clicked the double arrow at the bottom, right. Notice even the show info at the bottom is cut off.

on a mac?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

on a mac?

Yes, on a MacBook Pro. The Safari browser only runs on Apple products. There was once a PC version of Safari, but it was discontinued years ago.

Service Expert

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

on a mac?

Yes, on a MacBook Pro. The Safari browser only runs on Apple products. There was once a PC version of Safari, but it was discontinued years ago.

it appears that the diagonal arrows function as a magnifier in the example you showed. if you right click on the normal video does it have a full screen option?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

it appears that the diagonal arrows function as a magnifier in the example you showed. if you right click on the normal video does it have a full screen option?

No, I get the normal flash options. I tried this is many different places (midscreen, at the bottom close to the name of the show, on the icons at the bottom, even on the arrows icon), but I kept getting the same options.

• Back
  • Reload
  • Open in Dashboard...
  • Show Page Source
  • Save Page As...
  • Print Page...
  • Block this ad
  • Block an ad on this page
  • Inspect Element

To right click on a MacBook Pro, I held down the Control key while clicking on the trackpad. Holding down the Option key while clicking did nothing.

RightClickOptions.jpg
Regular Contributor

Interestingly, I just discovered that full screen is working correctly on:

• ANTEN ... AntennaTV .............. 318  ← does not automatically default to HD channel (1158)
  • KTXH ...... My Network TV ....... 1020
  • KIAH ....... The CW ................... 1039
  • ION ......... ion Television .......... 1049

However, full screen is not working correctly on:

• BUZZR ... BUZZR .................... 306  ← does not automatically default to HD channel (1174)
  • KRIV ....... Fox .......................... 1026
  • USA ........ usa .......................... 1403
  • HLMRK ... Hallmark Channel ... 1458

These are just the channels I tested. I have no idea how many other channels are affected by the problem.

*Note:

All channels numbers are for the Houston, TX area.

Selecting the SD channel for each station automatically defaults to the HD version when available

Problem Solver

Hey there

Is this still happening for you? I'm trying to reproduce with a Houston test account and Safari 10.1.1, and I'm not able to with any of the channels mentioned. I tried tuning directly to the 4 channels via the Channel Finder as well as tuning to the SD channel from the grid (which, as mentioned, tunes the HD channel when available). 

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Yes, it's still happening. I noticed something odd the other day. I tried one of the channels and first thought the problem was fixed. Then the black borders on the sides appeared and literally cut off the sides of the video -- as if the black side borders were on a layer on top of the video.

We're using different versions of Safari and possibly different versions of OS X so maybe that matters? I'm running El Capitan with Safari 10.0.3.

When my daughter comes over tonight, I'll try it on her MacBook Air which is running the latest OS X and Safari to see if that matters. I'll let you know what I find.

Problem Solver

Right on, thanks for that detail—I am running Sierra. Will investigate further with a machine running El Capitan.

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I just tested the problem on my daughter's laptop and found it is happening on her's as well.

My daughter's computer info:

• MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
  • Sierra 10.12.3
  • Safari 10.0.3 (12602.4.8)
  • Flash 13.0.0

My computer info:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
  • El Capitan 10.11.6
  • Safari 10.0.3 (11602.4.8.0.1)
  • Flash 13.0.0

So the problem is not with the verson of OS X. We are both running the latest version of flash (I just updated it on both laptops). I'm not sure what version of flash you're using, but the problem was also happening on my older version of flash so I don't think that's going to be the cause.

One difference I see is that my daughter and I are both running Safari 10.0.3 which is different from yours (10.1.1) so that will be my next thing to look at. I'll update Safari on my laptop to see if that changes anything. I'll let you know what I find.

Regular Contributor

I updated everything on my MacBook Pro, and the problem is still happening.

I am now running:

• El Capitan 10.11.6 ← same version as before, but all updates have been applied
  • Safari 10.1.2 (11603.3.8) ← I'm now running a newer version of Safari than you

I also did the following:

• cleared all Safari caches
  • deleted all cookies related to xfinity and comcast (xfinity.com, comcast.com, comcast.net)
  • cleared all flash storage
  • cleared (and when applicable, rebuilt) all caches (system, user, and internet for all browsers) and repaired disk permissions using Coctail v9.7 for El Capitan

And the problem remains.

So it's not the OS X version. It's not the Safari version. It's not specific to the hardware. It's not flash related. Any idea of what I can try next?

Regular Contributor

I checked for error and warnings. I started by clearing the log file so everything started off clean. Below are my findings. However, it is important to note that the errors and warnings I found were the same for the channels that are working correctly AND channels with the problem. So this is probably not diagnostic, but I'll still show what I found just in case.

• Used bookmark to the url: https://tv.xfinity.com/listings: No errors or warnings
  • Clicked on show for BUZZR (channel 306) and got 1 error
    • [Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (logo, line 0)
  • Clicked watch for that show which took me to https://tv.xfinity.com/live/Watch-Family-Feud/7211854935007329105/BUZZR: No errors, 3 warnings
    • Console Warnings:
      • [Warning] 80 console messages are not shown.
      • [Warning] ConfigurationManager: – "get: audioLanguage not found, using default value: undefined" (elements.js, line 28.325)
      • [Warning] ConfigurationManager: – "get: audienceManagerEnabled not found, using default value: false" (elements.js, line 28.325)
    • Debugger:
      • The warnings point to line 14136 in elements.js: n.unshift(i + ":"), e.funcMap[t].apply(console, n)

Something I discovered while doing all that: AntennaTV (318/1158), which I previously found to be problem free, is now exhibiting the problem. That begs the question if the video file or the player used could be the culprit? Older shows have a different aspect ratio and, possibly, a different file type requiring a different video player.

Coupling that with the previous problem in which several channels in the Houston area could not stream due to a video file/video player mismatch, it would seem reasonable to check if any related changes were implemented on July 31. There was a reason why Comcast made the original changes that created the original problem. They fixed that on July 14 by backing those changes out. This current problem then began two weeks later on July 31. I'm wondering if the Comcast engineers implemented a new change on July 31 to accomplish their original goal which is now causing a different issue.

Since the problem can be duplicated on two different laptops running different operating systems and different versions of Safari, it appears the problem is caused by something on Comcast's side. Given the date in which this problem began, it seems the problem was caused by something Comcast changed on July 31.

Problem Solver

Yep, sorry—I missed a step. We've been able to reproduce on different versions of Safari and different MacOS versions with all channels (it's just that some are worse than others). Looking into it now. Thanks again for the details!

LHC

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Excellent! Now that you can reproduce the problem, you have a chance of figure out what's causing it. Thanks for your diligence.

Problem Solver

There was a web client release on 7/31, which is why you noticed it then (the problem is in the client, not the video delivery this time). The web team is working on a fix.

LHC

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the updated info! Hopefully, this one will be easier to fix than the last one.

New Poster

Hi, I am also having the same issue. Please let me know when will it be fixed.

Regular Contributor

thanks - but tick tick - credit due!  guess not

New Poster

This is happening to me as well....I can not watch Game of Thrones in fullscreen...This is an Issue everyone is having.

Problem Solver

It's only with Safari, so workaround is to use Chrome or Firefox. Fix has been identified and implemented; just need to get a deployment out. Hopefully tomorrow morning!

LHC

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Hi guys!

Web release went out this morning with a bunch of new features and the fix for this issue. If you missed the "Update" modal, just refresh your browser to see the changes.

LHC

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Yes, it is fixed for me! Thank you!

Unfortunately, the fix introduced more problems:

1. No Favorites filter – that filter disappeared in Safari and Firefox (I didn't even try Chrome; weary of testing for Comcast issues)
  2. Extra large listings – using Safari, the listings are almost double the size that they were before the change. The listings look normal using Firefox.

Lori, you are a super nice person and are doing your very best to get problems fixed, but there's only so much one person can do. Comcast appears to have spaghetti code that's held together by gum. I would not want to even begin to touch that code. It's clearly a mess. Maybe Comcast is hiring people straight from college (if even that) with no actual experience. Quality control is clearly a problem at Comcast.

All I want to do is click my listing bookmark, see a show I want to watch, and click on it to watch it. I never wanted to spend endless hours documenting and describing a myriad of problems. Youtube can do it, why can't Comcast?

Again, thank you very much for your attention and hard work fixing the previous problem, this problem, and hopefully the problems this fix created. My frustration is not with you. You've been great in finding and fixing the problems, as well as keeping us informed along the way. Too bad Comcast can't clone you.

Bronze Problem Solver

Complexity2 wrote:

Yes, it is fixed for me! Thank you!

Unfortunately, the fix introduced more problems:

1. No Favorites filter – that filter disappeared in Safari and Firefox (I didn't even try Chrome; weary of testing for Comcast issues)

Favorite filter is still there, it has benn moved -

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Favorite-filter-was-removed-from-stream-website/...

Regular Contributor

Complexity2 wrote:

Complexity2 wrote:

2. Extra large listings – using Safari, the listings are almost double the size that they were before the change. The listings look normal using Firefox. 

Below are screenshots of how the listings look using Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. The listings for Firefox look normal while the listings for Safari and Chrome have become extra large.

1Firefox.jpg
2Safari.jpg
3Chrome.jpg
Bronze Problem Solver

Complexity2 wrote:
 Below are screenshots of how the listings look using Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. The listings for Firefox look normal while the listings for Safari and Chrome have become extra large.

Check your font size settings in the browser settings. My FF & chrome look the same, but I can make chrome look bigger like yours by changing the font size in chrome to a smaller setting.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Streaming-website-now-uses-browser-font-size-set...

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:
Check your font size settings in the browser settings. My FF & chrome look the same, but I can make chrome look bigger like yours by changing the font size in chrome to a smaller setting. 

Safari: That helped with Safari. My eyesight isn't what it used to be (yeah, I'm getting old) so I has Safari's preference set to "Never use font sizes smaller than: 16." Deselecting that option or setting it to 10 fixes the problem.

I'll try to run Safari at that setting, but I'm not sure how well I'll be able to view other websites. The whole reason why I watch TV on my laptop is because the picture on the TV set is harder to see than the screen on my Mac. As I'm writing this reply, some of the fonts on this page are now too small to read comfortably (the navigation at the top, the text under "*Body," and the quotes on messages).

The thing is it used to look fine in Safari even with the font preferences set to no smaller than 16. Now it looks horrible. Why, oh why did Comcast have to mess with it?

Chrome: I had the preferences for "Font Size" set to Large. Changing it to Medium (Recommended) still looks bad. In fact, it still looks bad even with the Font Size set to Very small. Let me get some screenshots to show you what I'm seeing. Maybe you can help me figure out what's wrong.

Bronze Problem Solver

Complexity2 wrote:

Chrome: I had the preferences for "Font Size" set to Large. Changing it to Medium (Recommended) still looks bad. In fact, it still looks bad even with the Font Size set to Very small. Let me get some screenshots to show you what I'm seeing. Maybe you can help me figure out what's wrong.

Check the settings in chrome "Customize Fonts". I have FF & chrome set to 16 and they look the same. This is a new feature of the website with this release.

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:
Check the settings in chrome "Customize Fonts". I have FF & chrome set to 16 and they look the same. This is a new feature of the website with this release.

Changing the Font size in the settings changes the font size in the Customize fonts setting thusly:

• 9 – Very small
  • 12 – Small
  • 16 – Medium (Recommended)
  • 20 – Large
  • 24 – Very Large

While that does indeed change the size of the font, notice that it doesn't affect the size of the cells in the table (with the exception of the Very Large size which increases the cell size).

All these screenshots were done with Page zoom in Chrome settings set to 100%. In fact, the only thing I changed was the Font size as noted.

One possible consideration: I'm viewing the listings using a MacBook Pro with retina display (resolution set to 1680 x 1050). I wonder if the reason we're getting different resuls when viewing the listings in Chrome is due to the way Chrome is handling the retina display? What display and resolution are you using?

1ChromeVerySmall.jpg
2ChromeSmall.jpg
3ChromeMedium.jpg
4ChromeLarge.jpg
5ChromeVeryLarge.jpg
Bronze Problem Solver

Complexity2 wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Changing the Font size in the settings changes the font size in the Customize fonts setting thusly:

• 9 – Very small
  • 12 – Small
  • 16 – Medium (Recommended)
  • 20 – Large
  • 24 – Very Large

While that does indeed change the size of the font, notice that it doesn't affect the size of the cells in the table (with the exception of the Very Large size which increases the cell size).

All these screenshots were done with Page zoom in Chrome settings set to 100%. In fact, the only thing I changed was the Font size as noted.

One possible consideration: I'm viewing the listings using a MacBook Pro with retina display (resolution set to 1680 x 1050). I wonder if the reason we're getting different resuls when viewing the listings in Chrome is due to the way Chrome is handling the retina display? What display and resolution are you using?

When I change font size, the rows & columns shrink with the font. I'm on win10 pc with res 1920x1200

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Bronze Problem Solver

Complexity2 wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Try refreshing page after changing font size. Page doesn't refresh properly when font size is changed.

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:
Try refreshing page after changing font size. Page doesn't refresh properly when font size is changed.

I did. It makes no difference. The cell sizes remain the same (except the Very Large setting).

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:
When I change font size, the rows & columns shrink with the font. I'm on win10 pc with res 1920x1200

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

These screenshots appear to have the exact same cell sizes. All that's different is the second image is reduced 61% from the first one. When I resize the image widths to be the same, the cell sizes (length and width) are exactly the same. So it appears changing the font size does not change the cell sizes on your setup.

To do a true comparison, the dimensions of the browser window need to be the same and the screenshot should show everything within the window. Just edit the screenshot to black out personal info.

Bronze Problem Solver

Complexity2 wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

These screenshots appear to have the exact same cell sizes. All that's different is the second image is reduced 61% from the first one. When I resize the image widths to be the same, the cell sizes (length and width) are exactly the same. So it appears changing the font size does not change the cell sizes on your setup.

To do a true comparison, the dimensions of the browser window need to be the same and the screenshot should show everything within the window. Just edit the screenshot to black out personal info.

No, the cell sizes are smaller in both directions, the image is not reduced, its the webpage cells that are reduced. When I set to smaller font I can see more hours across screen and more channels down screen

Regular Contributor

mvenanzi wrote:

No, the cell sizes are smaller in both directions, the image is not reduced, its the webpage cells that are reduced. When I set to smaller font I can see more hours across screen and more channels down screen

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, that's not happening when I use Chrome. I suspect Comcast made changes that either did not consider sharper displays, such as the Retina display, or managed it poorly.

What a shame because they used to have it right. The changes they made last night/this morning fixed one problem, but created another problem. This is after dealing with yet another problem earlier that took them almost a month to figure out (same thing – they made a change that broke things, but required an entire team of engineers to figure it out).

It seems Comcast does not test their changes before implementing them. It's not as if Safari or Chrome are some weird, unknown browsers that no one uses. And the Retina display has been around for years (introduced on the iPhone in 2010 and MacBook Pro in 2012). It's certainly not some newly developed technology they never heard of before.

I'm just tired of Comcast's problems. It shouldn't be this hard.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation