members

online now

discussions

watching Comcast TV on my mac increases files in a "var" cache folder

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

I use an iMac and a Macbook Air to watch TV sometimes through the wi-fi connection to Comcast Xfinity router set up in my Comcast account in our home.  I have noticed continuing increase aount of used space in the nard drives of both. Using daisey Disk, I found large files in "private/var/ ... and drill furtherer down thru more levels to a long list of files" that amounts to 200GB - yes, 200 gigabytes! - on the imac (1Terabyte HD) and about 20GB on the Air.

I did a google search and one site forum had a posting that indicated the increase in these files was due to watching TV on my computers.  I went to the Genius bar at the Apple store today and they didn't know why the files were so large.  It was after this visit that I found the google search info.  

Does anyone know if this is correct about Comcast?

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 5

jeb555 wrote:

I use an iMac and a Macbook Air to watch TV sometimes through the wi-fi connection to Comcast Xfinity router set up in my Comcast account in our home.  I have noticed continuing increase aount of used space in the nard drives of both. Using daisey Disk, I found large files in "private/var/ ... and drill furtherer down thru more levels to a long list of files" that amounts to 200GB - yes, 200 gigabytes! - on the imac (1Terabyte HD) and about 20GB on the Air.

I did a google search and one site forum had a posting that indicated the increase in these files was due to watching TV on my computers.  I went to the Genius bar at the Apple store today and they didn't know why the files were so large.  It was after this visit that I found the google search info.  

Does anyone know if this is correct about Comcast? 

lot of links on Google basically say it is temp file use that the OS manages. If you wish to clean up the folders don't delete manually say the links.http://osxdaily.com/2016/01/13/delete-temporary-items-private-var-folders-mac-os-x/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 3 of 5

I had previously searched and found the same article  that was in the link you sent.  I read it and, although parts of it appear to be not wrtitten very well, I understand about the safe mode boot part.  I haven't done that yet - although I've done it in the past for other reasons.  However, I just got off the phone with AppleCare senior tech ( was bumped up by first level tech), who said those files under >var/folder/ (then many lower level folder names)< can be deleted by moving to the trash, then emptying  the trash, which to me sounds like manual deleting.  He never said (and I did not think to ask) that I had to do a safe mode reboot.  So I wonder which is correct.

I'll try the safe mode reboot to see what happens, then decide.  And I have everything backed up, to 2 separate locations - one is offsite.

Thanks for your input.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 4 of 5

jeb555 wrote:

I had previously searched and found the same article  that was in the link you sent.  I read it and, although parts of it appear to be not wrtitten very well, I understand about the safe mode boot part.  I haven't done that yet - although I've done it in the past for other reasons.  However, I just got off the phone with AppleCare senior tech ( was bumped up by first level tech), who said those files under >var/folder/ (then many lower level folder names)< can be deleted by moving to the trash, then emptying  the trash, which to me sounds like manual deleting.  He never said (and I did not think to ask) that I had to do a safe mode reboot.  So I wonder which is correct.

I'll try the safe mode reboot to see what happens, then decide.  And I have everything backed up, to 2 separate locations - one is offsite.

Thanks for your input.

1. Download CleanMyMac 3 for free
  2. Select System Junk
  3. Click "Scan"
  4. And then “Clean”

That’s it, cache files cleaned! CleanMyMac 3 works on all systems, including the latest macOS Sierra.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 5
Solution

MikeB39A - thanks for advice.  I did decide to do a safe mode boot, and that cleaned out the files - 190 gb at the time - on my 1tb HD.  It took a long time for the safe boot to get to the desktop - I suppose because it was removing all those files.  I'll look into app you suggest.