Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

roku to xfinity hotspot

New Poster

roku to xfinity hotspot

i just got a roku stick and want to use it on an xfinity wifi hotspot. how do i do this?

Problem Solver

Re: roku to xfinity hotspot

morgaline2002 wrote:

i just got a roku stick and want to use it on an xfinity wifi hotspot. how do i do this?

Just follow the roku stick instructions

https://support.roku.com/article/208754808-how-to-set-up-your-roku-streaming-stick-

New Poster

Your link is for a standard setup and useless for a Xfinity public WiFi hotspot when not at home. You need to be able to enter your Comcast user name and password but there is no web browser in Roku to be able to do this
New Poster

Hey Gordon
Here's a tip. Google MAC spoofing.
1. Write down your roku MAC address
2. Set your laptop or desktop to that roku MAC address
3. Connect to the xfinity wifi with the laptop and authenticate to the xfinity wifi webpage through a browser like normal
4. Set the roku to connect to the xfinitywifi and it should work, might have to connect to the xfinitywifi a couple of times to get a successful connection

Note: you are allowed up to 20 devices on your xfinity account to connect to their wifi service

Enjoy
Service Expert

morgaline2002 wrote:

are you using the roku while at home? 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Gordonkouba2 wrote:
Your link is for a standard setup and useless for a Xfinity public WiFi hotspot when not at home. You need to be able to enter your Comcast user name and password but there is no web browser in Roku to be able to do this

The xf roku app only works on your home network.

New Poster

Any luck man? Im stuck on same problem
Service Expert

Rm24 wrote:
Any luck man? Im stuck on same problem

would you please explain why you are trying to connect to the stream TV app with Roku while not connected to your home network?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This is exactly what I've been looking for. My mom can't afford Internet so I'm trying to set up Roku for her using xfinity hotspot. I use a hootoo router to make another wifi so roku can consume it without login but the output is less than 1mb for some reason so she gets a lot of "loading". If I can use your technique to have the roku device connect directly to xfinity hotspot that would be awesome because I get a strong signal on my phone and running speedtest is like over 10MB's. 

If you could post/email me step by step for changing my computer MAC address to roku (and change back to it's own afterward) that would be awesome. 

Thanks man.

my email address is xxxxxxx@hotmail.com

New Poster

Can u help me im trying to connect my xfinity account to my on my roku box
Service Expert

nj_john1970 wrote:

This is exactly what I've been looking for. My mom can't afford Internet so I'm trying to set up Roku for her using xfinity hotspot. I use a hootoo router to make another wifi so roku can consume it without login but the output is less than 1mb for some reason so she gets a lot of "loading". If I can use your technique to have the roku device connect directly to xfinity hotspot that would be awesome because I get a strong signal on my phone and running speedtest is like over 10MB's. 

If you could post/email me step by step for changing my computer MAC address to roku (and change back to it's own afterward) that would be awesome. 

Thanks man.

my email address is vulcan86@hotmail.com

The Xfinity Stream TV app in Roku beta test will only work on a customer's home account not while logged into any other wireless SSID/connection. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Cubandoll wrote:
Can u help me im trying to connect my xfinity account to my on my roku box

hi, are you connecting your Roku device to a TV in your home and have the roku connected to your home wifi (not on xfinitywifi SSID)?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Wow! Ok, let's get to the real answer.
1. Hopefully your stick is of the latest generation, (3900, 3910, 3800, 3810, ultra).
2. Go to Roku system, network, setup connection, wireless, scan for and connect to Xfinitywifi public hotspot.
3. Window should pop up asking if your connecting at home or at hotel/dorm. Select the latter, hotel/dorm.
4. Follow instructions, using your phone WiFi to connect to your roku box direct. This should then open your WiFi sign-in page on your phone. This should get you connected, does for me
New Poster

Did you ever get instructions for this? I'm having the same issue with my Roku Premier Plus and spent some time last night trying some different techniques. I think this MAC spoofing thing might be the only good workaround. Did it work for you? I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks!

Service Expert

crtwlsn wrote:

Did you ever get instructions for this? I'm having the same issue with my Roku Premier Plus and spent some time last night trying some different techniques. I think this MAC spoofing thing might be the only good workaround. Did it work for you? I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks! 

hi, you didn't quote the post to which you replied. what are you wanting to use the Roku to do? to use the Xfinity app you must be in your home on your home wifi network. for other apps you can use any available wifi.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I did that and it worked. However after less than 3 hours Roku got frozen and I turned off/on and since then Roku does not give me the window to select dorm/hotel and simply just can't connect to xfinity Hotspot even though Roku recognize the network.
Any help? Thank you
Service Expert

Nneri209 wrote:
I did that and it worked. However after less than 3 hours Roku got frozen and I turned off/on and since then Roku does not give me the window to select dorm/hotel and simply just can't connect to xfinity Hotspot even though Roku recognize the network.
Any help? Thank you

go to roku settings and connection and scan again. If the SSID for xfinitywifi does not show up you can't connect to it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your kind answer.
It shows xfinity as a available network but does not ask me for password which normally would take me to the screen where you choose dorm/hotel. Once I select connect to xfinity it says error can not connect
Service Expert

Nneri209 wrote:
Thanks for your kind answer.
It shows xfinity as a available network but does not ask me for password which normally would take me to the screen where you choose dorm/hotel. Once I select connect to xfinity it says error can not connect

unfortunately I can't test that since closest xfinitywifi SSID does not show up on my roku (neighbor too far way, cell phone shows it). I do understand you are just trying to take advantage of your internet service. I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

From
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs

Can I use the XFINITY Stream Beta app when my Roku is not connected to my XFINITY in-home WiFi?

No, the XFINITY Stream Beta app allows you to access your XFINITY TV cable services, which are only available in your home through your in-home XFINITY network. You will not be able to use the app if you are connected to another network, including XFINITY WiFi hotspots or any "XFINITYwifi" network that may be available in your home. XFINITY On Campus customers must be on their campus WiFi network.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

1A48B365-24ED-4193-AA2C-C27A954E3C61.jpeg
Service Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
From
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs

Can I use the XFINITY Stream Beta app when my Roku is not connected to my XFINITY in-home WiFi?

No, the XFINITY Stream Beta app allows you to access your XFINITY TV cable services, which are only available in your home through your in-home XFINITY network. You will not be able to use the app if you are connected to another network, including XFINITY WiFi hotspots or any "XFINITYwifi" network that may be available in your home. XFINITY On Campus customers must be on their campus WiFi network.

I believe the customer understands can't use the stream app, customer wants to use the other channels (internet) available using their remote access to xfinitywifi SSID on the ROKU. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Per
http://wifi.xfinity.com
Scroll to “Ready to Connect” Laptop, handheld or tablet. The Roku or similar may not have a way to login to an account

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon