Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,806,635

members

83

online now

1,952,645

discussions

Top

"In Home" only viewing?

New Poster

"In Home" only viewing?

I'm a new X1 customer, and when I launch the Xfinity TV app and log on, then try to view some live programming it says "in home viewing only" for some programming.

I only have the X1 TV platform - no internet or voice.

Is there a reason why I cannot view some programming live on my mobile app?
Service Expert

Re: "In Home" only viewing?


HarleyChris2 wrote:
I'm a new X1 customer, and when I launch the Xfinity TV app and log on, then try to view some live programming it says "in home viewing only" for some programming.

I only have the X1 TV platform - no internet or voice.

Is there a reason why I cannot view some programming live on my mobile app?

are you by chance a commercial customer? I was not aware that comcast woiuld 'sell' the x1 experience without internet service.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

That may be the issue. I can get the X1 tv boxes (and did to replace my old HD DVR dual tuner box) but I may have to get their internet before I can view live tv on my other devices.
Official Employee

Re: "In Home" only viewing?


HarleyChris2 wrote:
That may be the issue. I can get the X1 tv boxes (and did to replace my old HD DVR dual tuner box) but I may have to get their internet before I can view live tv on my other devices.

Correct, you would need an in home Xfinity network

 

 

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-requirements





Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

Is the limitation just live programming? Can I watch recorded shows or on demand anywhere on any device?
Problem Solver

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

What happens if you try?  I can view recorded content and OnDemand on any network outside my home, but I do have Comcast for my in home ISP. Are you asking because you get an error message when trying to view recorded content?

 


HarleyChris2 wrote:
Is the limitation just live programming? Can I watch recorded shows or on demand anywhere on any device?
New Poster

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

I was actually trying to watch live TV (which I couldn't because I don't have Xfinity internet). I tried recording a couple of shows today and it appears that I can watch recorded shows from any device and can set recordings from my phone or tablet - I just can't watch live programming.
Problem Solver

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

Correct, because you don't have Comcast for your ISP. At least you can still watch recorded content.  The catch though is that watching your recorded content will count against any data usage limit you have for your ISP (if any).  While for someone with Comcast internet service, there is no data usage when watching live and/or recorded content in home. Make sense?

 


HarleyChris2 wrote:
I was actually trying to watch live TV (which I couldn't because I don't have Xfinity internet). I tried recording a couple of shows today and it appears that I can watch recorded shows from any device and can set recordings from my phone or tablet - I just can't watch live programming.
New Poster

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

Makes sense. I'm not worried about home network limitations - if I'm home I'll be watching recorded shows directly on X1 and not on the mobile app.
Problem Solver

Re: "In Home" only viewing?

And I guess to answer your original question, even a Comcast ISP customer cannot watch most live programming "out of home", only the channels marked "TV GO" are available when "out of home", hence the "in home viewing only" message.

 

As an example, if I'm in my home and my phone is connected to my wifi network, then I can watch live tv on the phone. If I switch the phone to 4G, then I'm blocked from watching live tv (with the exception of TV GO channels), because now I'm consider to be on an "out of home network".  Some strange Comcast/network provider arrangement.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1987 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation