Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

playback issue 8008

New Poster

playback issue 8008

I am using the Xfinity Stream TV app to watch TV on my iPhone 6. I plays TV and movies fine on the small screen. But when I try to connect it to a big flat screen, it stops and displays "Playback Issue :: 8008". It further states Screen recording is not permitted while watching video. Please disable screen recording and try again.

I wasn't using screen recording,but added it to my control panel, so I can make sure it isn't turned on. But I still am blocked, as soon as I connect a lightning cable to my phone. This cable is in turn connected to an USB powered HDMI adapter, which connects to the flat screen.

Anyone know how to get around this block?

Tags (2)
2017-11-13 11.58.31.png
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: playback issue 8008

chasq wrote:

I am using the Xfinity Stream TV app to watch TV on my iPhone 6. I plays TV and movies fine on the small screen. But when I try to connect it to a big flat screen, it stops and displays "Playback Issue :: 8008". It further states Screen recording is not permitted while watching video. Please disable screen recording and try again.

I wasn't using screen recording,but added it to my control panel, so I can make sure it isn't turned on. But I still am blocked, as soon as I connect a lightning cable to my phone. This cable is in turn connected to an USB powered HDMI adapter, which connects to the flat screen.

Anyone know how to get around this block?

Xf blocks the app when casting/mirroring of any kind is being used. The only known way to get xf streaming to a tv is using the stream website with a pc connected to a tv or using a roku with the roku app.

New Poster

That's too bad, thanks for confirming there's not much to be done here.

New Poster

I contacted XF regarding this issue, and after several conversations with support who had no clue, spoke with level 3 (ACES) support. Originally, she was not aware of the issue, but after three minutes of research indicated that XF is only supporting the app, and since Stream app working properly to the mobile device, they have nothing to do with the fact the image is not transmitting to a connected TV.  She suggested to call Apple (the manufacturer of the digital adapter) and see if they can help, but as far as XF is concerned, they are fine.

I read in forums that this is the way for XF to secure additional revenue having user get another box.  If so, in my opinion this is silly, and creates bad will.  What do they have to lose? They already letting people watch on their mobile device, so there is not much difference if the image would be transmoitted to a TV. For me, another box would not halp anyway because I am watching at a different location where there is no Comcast.

Secondly, the description of Error 8008 is misleading.  It implies that they would allow the signal to be transmitted IF the recording would be disabled. But that is not the reality.  As indicated by many, the recording is disabled and it has no effect on the ability to transmit the image.  So I, for one, wasted time researching and trying to fix, and painfully calling tech support.  Just call it for what it is and say in the error description  that transmission to the external device is prohibited.  End of the story.

For XF info, I had no issues watwatching TV stream on Verizon Fios, and was very disappointed when moved, that I do not have Fios at my new location.  The bottom line is - you can't do this and XF would do themself a huge favor of fixing the app and having people enjoy watching what they legitimately want and payed for.