Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity tv remote app

New Poster

Xfinity tv remote app

Since downloading the latest update I now can control only the default box for dvr recordings. Will no longer change to any other box . This is true on 3 iPads and 3 iPhones that I have. Worked great before last upgrade

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity tv remote app

Drimaxu wrote:

Since downloading the latest update I now can control only the default box for dvr recordings. Will no longer change to any other box . This is true on 3 iPads and 3 iPhones that I have. Worked great before last upgrade

do you have the X1 entertainment experience or the legacy DVR system? If on the X1 system, the little TV icon in upper left corner lets you select the set top box 'name' you desire. I presume (someone can reply to confirm?) that the legacy system would be the same.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I have the X1 and yes I understand to select the box but when selected it allows you to change the channel on either box but never changes the dvr manager control it always and only controls the default box. I've used the app for a good while always was able to control either box and watch any recorded program on either box cannot do this now. Live tv functions fine. 

Regular Visitor

Same for me.  Can't watch nor delete any watched programs.  

Service Expert

Drimaxu wrote:

I have the X1 and yes I understand to select the box but when selected it allows you to change the channel on either box but never changes the dvr manager control it always and only controls the default box. I've used the app for a good while always was able to control either box and watch any recorded program on either box cannot do this now. Live tv functions fine. 

backing up a bit, this thread area is about the xfinity TV app (view and schedule). The recordings sheduled on our home xfinity X1 system is actually set up by a comcast scheduler server that decides which DVR if you have more than one a recording is placed. The xFinity TV Remote does have a device selection icon (a blue TV) to allow you to play a recording or on demand asset or to change the channel on a particular TV using the listings tab. The xfinity TV remote can not control a DTA because DTA is not integrated into the x1 entertainment experience.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Are you using the xfinity TV app (needs a desk/laptop pc, apple or android smart phone/tablet)? For the cloud DVR you must also have the free rate code added to your account and accept the terms and conditions for the Cloud DVR. Only recordings made from that point forward will be recorded on the cloud DVR.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes - the app called TV Remote that allows me to change channels and access my dvr manager.     What's a free rate code and where do I get this?

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Yes - the app called TV Remote that allows me to change channels and access my dvr manager.     What's a free rate code and where do I get this?

do you have the x1 entertainment system?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Yes

call x1 support center at 877-896-8678 and request that the cloud DVR rate code be added to your account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Nope.   Rate code is on my account.   

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Nope.   Rate code is on my account.   

cool. using a desk/laptop go to https://tv.xfinity.com/ and you should see a full menu (while on home WiFi or ethernet connection) and be able to stream live TV, on-demand, and recorded programs (that have recorded since the terms and conditions have been accepted).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.   Can you elaborate?

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.   Can you elaborate?

sure. do you have a desktop or laptop computer that is successfully connected to your home internet service by ethernet or by wifi?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Yes

on your home internet computer open a browser and enter click on this site https://tv.xfinity.com/ and log in. Then click the Live TV and select All Listings. scroll to a channel you would like to watch and select the current show or the channel icon on the left. Does the Web page then begin playing that channel?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes.   I followed that and it worked.  However my issue is with the TV remote which is the subject line of this discussion.    I downloaded this app to my iPad that allows me to do just about everything the actual tv remote can do....change channels, setup recordings or select something that was recorded and hit the "play" button and then it plays on my tv.   This is what is currently not working - the dvr portion of the app.   

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Yes.   I followed that and it worked.  However my issue is with the TV remote which is the subject line of this discussion.    I downloaded this app to my iPad that allows me to do just about everything the actual tv remote can do....change channels, setup recordings or select something that was recorded and hit the "play" button and then it plays on my tv.   This is what is currently not working - the dvr portion of the app.   

access is all related so the quickest test is to use the web browser as that eliminates wifi issues, proxy issues, VPN issues, even the GPS function turned off can cause issues. 

There are 3 apps that if set up can do a lot of different functions, all xfinity apps. The X1 remote app acts like a voice remote. after logging in, you touch the 'gear' and select the x1 device name you wish to control. Quick test when you select the named set top box is press the Xfinity button on the remote. does the menu popup on the TV? If so, press the Exit button on the app.

The next app to 'test' is the TV Remote App. Load and run the app, login, and select the 'TV' icon and select the set top box name as you did with the first app. press the listings tab, and pick a channel like TVLand and touch the channel icon area. Does the TV change to TVLand? 

The last app is the xfinity TV app. It does not control your TV at all but is your in home and out of home connection to the Cloud DVR. You can't change a channel but you can record using its listings as well as use the TV Remote app to set recordings.

hope all the testing goes well.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

All apps working  - except TV remote for the DVR.  Changing channels is fine.   It currently lists a bunch of shows I deleted via the handheld remote.   When I try to delete, nothing happens.   If I click play I get error on screen XRE - 06004

Service Expert

Drimaxu wrote:

there is no 'selection' of DVR for multiple DVR homes (I have 3). Other than hitting record on your actual physical remote on a particular remote/set top box and making a "hot" recording right now, all scheduled recordings are scheduled on any of your DVRs by the Comcast scheduler server. The server knows the current available space on each DVR and what can be deleted if necessary to make room, and schedules a particular DVR for each and every recording event. There is no use of the default DVR for use in recording. 'IF" you want to record on a particular DVR via a "hot" recording, press record on the physical DVR's remote OR press record using the xFinity X1 Remote app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

using the xFinity TV Remote app (iOS version only as android TV Remote does not currently have the feature) select DVR Manager > recordings. touch a listing and slide left to reveal delete option. If a folder of episodes select the folder and then you can delete via the procedure above.

when you say watch do you mean stream on your smart device? that is the function of the xFinity TV app (and only X1 customers can stream live TV and recordied assets to any device in the home)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

The process you described to delete recorded shows is not working.   I slide, hit delete, nothing.    If I click play, it's to have show play on tv.  Again it's a remote - to manipulate tv via iPad.   When I hit play the error msg I gave displays on tv

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

The process you described to delete recorded shows is not working.   I slide, hit delete, nothing.    If I click play, it's to have show play on tv.  Again it's a remote - to manipulate tv via iPad.   When I hit play the error msg I gave displays on tv

from ipad mini-2. i touched the line and dragged to the left.

ipad-del1.jpg

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes.  I understand.   It is not working.  Do you know of a fix or not?   Are you an employee of Comcast?  

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Yes.  I understand.   It is not working.  Do you know of a fix or not?   Are you an employee of Comcast?  

all Comcast employees (OE = Official Employee) are verified by the forum administrators and appear with usernames in red-letters

Most app issues are easily fixed by force closing of the app. for apple you double 'home' causing a carousel to show the currently open apps and swipe 'up' to remove the app from currently running apps. Then restart, go to recordings, and the feature should return. The iPhone issue of 'delete' not working after you have watched an asset is still unfixed and only workaround I' is restarting the app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Ok, so no fix 😩   I've done everything suggested- restarted, deleted/reinstalled, force closing, etc.   nothing.   Issue exists on iPad & iPhone.    Very disappointing as last version of app worked perfectly.   They update it and now broken.   

Service Expert

KzMarSH88 wrote:

Ok, so no fix 😩   I've done everything suggested- restarted, deleted/reinstalled, force closing, etc.   nothing.   Issue exists on iPad & iPhone.    Very disappointing as last version of app worked perfectly.   They update it and now broken.   

you mentioned iPhone this time too, works there too. on your iPhone are you up to date on upgrades to iOS and what version do you have of xFinity TV remote? I use the recordings while watching TV so I can watch the oldest shows first.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation