Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity TV on a cable-inaccessible television

New Poster

Xfinity TV on a cable-inaccessible television

I have the desire to stream Xfinity TV including on-demand and DVR recordings to a television in a room with wireless internet connectivity but NO ability to route a cable to.

My setup:

-TV: Comcast Xfinity box (connected to another tv in another room)

-Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6183

-Router: OnHub by TP-LINK (Google router)

Comcast has indicated I NEED their modem in order to accommodate for the Xi5 wireless cable box. 

-Is this true?

I want to purchase a Roku Streaming Stick+(3810) in order to stream Xfinity to the TV if the Xi5 box will not work with my current modem

-Can the Roku stream the Xfinity TV App if I do not have a Comcast modem?

Thank you for your time to answer this. I have received different stories from online postings and the techs who have come out from Comcast to install. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV on a cable-inaccessible television

wyldsmoke wrote:

I have the desire to stream Xfinity TV including on-demand and DVR recordings to a television in a room with wireless internet connectivity but NO ability to route a cable to.

My setup:

-TV: Comcast Xfinity box (connected to another tv in another room)

-Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6183

-Router: OnHub by TP-LINK (Google router)

Comcast has indicated I NEED their modem in order to accommodate for the Xi5 wireless cable box. 

-Is this true?

I want to purchase a Roku Streaming Stick+(3810) in order to stream Xfinity to the TV if the Xi5 box will not work with my current modem

-Can the Roku stream the Xfinity TV App if I do not have a Comcast modem?

Thank you for your time to answer this. I have received different stories from online postings and the techs who have come out from Comcast to install. 

Does your wireless signal reach where the tv is? If so you have options. You could use a roku that has wireless connection, but not a Streaming Stick+, its not a supported roku. You could also use a pc connected via hdmi to your tv and use the streaming web site. Or you could use one of the xf wireless cable boxes.

Supported roku:

What Roku devices can I use the app with?
Initially, the XFINITY Stream Beta app will only be available for use on the following Roku players: Ultra (4640), Premiere (4630), Premiere (4620), Express + (3710 and 3910), Express (3700, 3900), Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range), Streaming Stick + (3810), Streaming Stick (3600 and 3800), Roku 4 (4400), Roku 3 (4200, 4230), Roku 2 (4210). The XFINITY TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices. Devices must be on minimum firmware version 7.5.

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs

New Poster

@mvenanzi:

Thank you for your reply. I do have the Roku 3810 which is shown as compatible. I have not yet installed it as I want to ensure it will function properly before committing. 

The Xi5 from Xfinity (wireless cable box) will NOT work as I spent several calls and several tech visits to with conflicting information to learn that only Comcast cable modems will function as a wireless gateway for that particular product. So my SB6130 is incompatible with the Xi5. 

Can anyone answer with certainty that the Roku will work when you have:

-Xfinity Internet

-NOT an Xfinity modem (I have the Arris SB6183)

Thank you!!!

Bronze Problem Solver

wyldsmoke wrote:

@mvenanzi:

Thank you for your reply. I do have the Roku 3810 which is shown as compatible. I have not yet installed it as I want to ensure it will function properly before committing. 

The Xi5 from Xfinity (wireless cable box) will NOT work as I spent several calls and several tech visits to with conflicting information to learn that only Comcast cable modems will function as a wireless gateway for that particular product. So my SB6130 is incompatible with the Xi5. 

Can anyone answer with certainty that the Roku will work when you have:

-Xfinity Internet

-NOT an Xfinity modem (I have the Arris SB6183)

Thank you!!!

Sorry, yes your roku is in the list, sorry I didn't see it. As long as you have xf internet and a tv package, the roku will work. The only thing I would add is the streaming website seems to be more reliable then the xf roku app based on the reports in forums.

If you already have the roku, just try it, you're not commiting to anything. There's no cost to use the xf roku app currently.

Good luck

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation