Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity TV not coming to Fire TV?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 23

That's a shame because Roku and Fire TV are the two most popular streaming devices.

22 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 2 of 23

Has this been confirmed? The app is available for all Kindle devices, so why not the Fire Stick? The Fire Stick is undoubtedly the most popular streaming device. Say it ain't so someone from Comcast... EVERY other streaming service available to date has an app for EVERY streaming device. You're struggling with one platform as we speak...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 23

Any news on official support for the Amazon Fire TV?

It has plenty of beefy specs for this and just needs devleoper support from Comcast.  The app is on the Amazon store for all Android devices except for Fire TV / Fire Stick

Any updates?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 4 of 23

When you think about it, Xfinity wants to keep those hefty device rental fees, which amount to about $30 with HD,DVR,1 extra outlet. Looks like they locked out Casting too plus losing lots of channels if you travel.  I think the product is working as designed. Good for Comcast bad for customers.  Vue/etc looking better all the time. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 23
It appears that Comcast is only working on an app for Roku. Doesn't seem like they are interested in making a Fire OS, Android TV, or TV OS version of the app. Since they already have Android and IOS versions of the app making apps compatible with FireTV, Android TV or Apple TV boxes would be a lot less work than had to be put into making the Roku app. More than likely Amazon, Google( or the various Android TV device manufacturers), and Apple would have come to an agreement with Comcast for Comcast to have any incentive to make apps that work on their devices.

So looks like Roku will be the only option for those Comcast customers who want a TV optimized app as a cable box replacement.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 23

Dont agree with the hefty fees comment as Comcas tis working with Roku ) as mentioned earlier in this thread) and Samsung Smart TV.

I think Amazon will get there and other devices (iPhones/iPads and other Android devices have this already)   just need to get Comcast to focus on this as they see more and more users wanting this

The reason I dont agree with the heft fees is summarized in this article (Note this article mentions Roku but they left out Samsung Smart TV initative too)  Comcast gets their money from the Video fee service.  The equipment they dont make that much on.  They would rather get peep on x amount a month on the Video service (not caring about the device they use to access this as they make pure profit off the monthly video service).  But dont get me wrong thet will still cater too the equipment market too for the traditional TV service.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/comcast-is-about-to-sell-you-cable-tv-without-the-cable-box...

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-launches-xfinity-tv-partner-program-...

I think Amazon will get there just need time and user community votes Smiley Happy

Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 23

How do we vote? How do we get Comcast/Xfinity to realize that their customers want to have a free app to watch the service they already pay for on ALL the popular streaming platforms, e.g., Amazon Fire TV/stick, Apple TV, Android TV, etc.? Once Hulu Live TV arrives Comcast/Xfinity will start losing customers and that is going to happen real soon. I have been a Comcast customer for many years and I find it a really bad move for them to not provide this service to their paying customers for ALL platforms and not just Roku. 

Sincerely,

Bruce P.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 23

I applaud this comment - i pay $270 a month to comcast .  its time someting changes

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 23

pcpursuits wrote:

How do we vote? How do we get Comcast/Xfinity to realize that their customers want to have a free app to watch the service they already pay for on ALL the popular streaming platforms, e.g., Amazon Fire TV/stick, Apple TV, Android TV, etc.? Once Hulu Live TV arrives Comcast/Xfinity will start losing customers and that is going to happen real soon. I have been a Comcast customer for many years and I find it a really bad move for them to not provide this service to their paying customers for ALL platforms and not just Roku. 

Sincerely,

Bruce P.

Thank you for your feedback. I agree and will share it with the team.

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 23

Thats crazy $270 is a new car payment

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 23

i agree - should be a 7 play - instead of just a triple play -  i need to serioulsy look at my options

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 23

What options will we have for watching TV via wireless, so that it looks and feels like it is connected.  DirecTV has had this for years.  You are way behind the curve.  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 13 of 23

breszfr wrote:

What options will we have for watching TV via wireless, so that it looks and feels like it is connected.  DirecTV has had this for years.  You are way behind the curve.  

Search this forum for Roku Beta program. Else use an iphone, android phone, iPad, android tablet and enjoy the full set top box experience in the home. You can also use any desk/laptop that can run modern browsers with flash for example safari, IE, Firefox, Chrome. New set top box model xi5 is also a wireless companion and is available in some areas already (in national rollout).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 23

Add me to the list voting for Xfinity Stream on Fire TV Stick. I need this to watch at my lake cabin.

Thanks

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 23

Add me to the list of voters for Fire TV. Seriously disappointed that this isn't already done. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 23

I also want to put in a vote for an Xfinity Stream app on the FireTV/FireTVstick.  I had sideloaded an older version of the Xfinity TV app for Android onto my FireTVstick, which worked up until a couple months ago.  Hoping Comcast didn't 'break it" on purpose to keep people (like me) from doing that...though i wouldn't be surprised, since it takes away revenue from them on X1 box rentals.  Very upsetting if that's why.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 17 of 23

galvinchow wrote:

I also want to put in a vote for an Xfinity Stream app on the FireTV/FireTVstick.  I had sideloaded an older version of the Xfinity TV app for Android onto my FireTVstick, which worked up until a couple months ago.  Hoping Comcast didn't 'break it" on purpose to keep people (like me) from doing that...though i wouldn't be surprised, since it takes away revenue from them on X1 box rentals.  Very upsetting if that's why.

Comcast must pay fees for devices connected to a TV set. The current Roku Beta program is currently free but when beta is over, there will be a charge. Comcast has to cover incremental costs plus a profit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 23

Seems unlikely Roku beta will ever come out of beta at this point. Serious issues with the app, on all Roku devices i have. Crashes, forces device restart. No issues with any other mainstream apps, but xfinity, one of the largest natioanl providers, can't get it right? Seems like a deliberate choice to try to let it die.

Really a shame I already have Roku/Roku TV's and family loves the expierience. It would be great to have xfinity in any room with decent wifi, but app crashes after just a few minutes. The iOS and Android apps work great. May have to add android TV box/sticks which is totally stupid. Roku is one of the most recognized streaming setttop platforms.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 23
Its not good that you can't get Comcast on the fire stick. So I put Kodi on it. But on my Roku TV I have the Xfinity stream app and works fine. I'm able to watch all the channels I subscribe to and more.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 23

It is completely ridiculous that there are no announced plans for Xfinity to create an app for fire tv/stick. However, the ever increasoing economic drain of cord cutters, trimmers and nevers will ultimately force Comcast to come around this, imho. I'm a >15 year Comcast customer who is in the process of seeking alternatives, and Hulu live or Playstation Vue are the two services I'm looking at closely.

Just purchased a Roku TV and love it. However, the Xfinity app is unstable to say the least (that is being kind). Comcast is making a huge mistake if they can't/won't get the bugs and feature set limitations addressed in this particular app in addition to creating a Fire app. Personally speaking it will almost certainly leave me no choice but to leave them altogether, including internet connectivity. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 23

I agree totally as I bought a firestick to try other providers such as Sling, ATT Direct, Hulu. Costs are getting to be ridiculous since I watch only about 20% of the channels and pay about $200/mo. I also run Comcast stream on my laptop and it works good in that aspect. But, I would like to have the feedom to move my tv around the living room without stringing a cable to unaccessible places.

If Comcast can't come around to porting their app to firestick then I am pretty much going back to one of the other providers and dumping Comcast. Cost is cheaper, programming is similar and I expect it to mature even more. So really no reason to stay and pay such a large monthly fee when others are far cheaper.

For gods sake it's a billion dollar company, spare a few bucks and port the code.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 22 of 23
Not sure if it's avail on the firestick but we do have it avail on Roku using the stream app
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 23 of 23
The stream app u can watch it t.v. from a wireless device, we have had tv go and tv stream apps before that for many years