Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity TV app download

New Poster

Xfinity TV app download

Why does the Xfinity TV app need access to photos, media, and files on my phone?

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV app download

Herospiff5 wrote:

Why does the Xfinity TV app need access to photos, media, and files on my phone?

Because the XFINITY TV app offers the ability to download TV shows and movies, Android devices display this permission request automatically.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Thank you for your prompt reply! I can understand media access. Specifically why the access to photos or files?

Service Expert

adding.. the TV app for X1 customers allows you to download (files) recorded assets and some downloadable on-demand content to your smart device.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

Thank you Rustyben! That takes care of files. Photo access is the only one left unaccounted.

Problem Solver

herospiff55 wrote:

Thank you Rustyben! That takes care of files. Photo access is the only one left unaccounted.

It is NOT accessing your photos.  The category "Photos/Media/Files" is one of the generic Android "Permission Group Definitions". You can read about permissions here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/6014972?p=app_permissions&rd=1

Since the Xfinity TV app is able to download and access a file on your smart device, you have to give it access to do that by agreeing to the permission. The developers of Android grouped those 3 types (Photos/Media/Files) into one category, so any app trying to do one of those, is given access to all of those. There is no nefarious reading of your photos by the Xfinity TV app.

Your question though (along with probably millions of other users) is why the Android developers decided to revamp permissions in Android 6 and higher. The previous permissions were way too vague, and were only asked about at install of the app. Now they are actually asked at runtime when the user attempts to perform something in an app that will require a permission. Users should then be given a much more specific reason as to why a certain permission is being requested, and the option to allow or deny that permission request.

Frequent Visitor

If I do not wish to download anything, why can't I deny permission and just watch a live stream of a TV program?  I am running Android 6.0.1 and I still get a request to allow access to all phots, media, and files.

Official Employee

TambourineMan wrote:

If I do not wish to download anything, why can't I deny permission and just watch a live stream of a TV program?  I am running Android 6.0.1 and I still get a request to allow access to all phots, media, and files.

Photos, media and files are a single permission on Android, unfortunately. We require access to store files on your device for things such as Recently Watched TV channels, Parental Controls and other core app functionality (beyond downloaded shows/movies).  

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation