Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Stream app only shows half of a recorded show

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 25
I recorded a 2 hour show on my home DVR, my wife watched it, all 2 hours. I download it to watch or try to stream it and it only shows as 48 mins long. Only get 48 minutes of a 2 hour program. This is obviously a bug, but is this with the app or my DVR ?
24 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 25

MattH132 wrote:
I recorded a 2 hour show on my home DVR, my wife watched it, all 2 hours. I download it to watch or try to stream it and it only shows as 48 mins long. Only get 48 minutes of a 2 hour program. This is obviously a bug, but is this with the app or my DVR ?

I'm sorry. That means that the Cloud DVR recording was corrupted or truncated. Cloud DVR recordings are separate from the physical DVR. Once they are bad, there's nothing you or the app can do to fix it. I recommend seeing if the show is available from On Demand or if there's another upcoming airing so you can try again. Again, very sorry.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 25
Hi Dan,

This isn't the first time this has happened. It has happened also with a few shows, some that show 58 Mins time and I download it only to have 23 mins play. Is there a way to check if there's something wrong with my cloud DVR? Obviously it's not a one off occurrence. This has been happening since the change to the "Stream" branded app. It's across all devices but can my cloud DVR settings be fixed so this doesn't happen again? What causes the truncation? How is it possible given the fact COMCAST HAS all the data for the show given it shows up on demand the next day? Something is affecting "my" cloud and I just can't sit with the "better luck next time" answer.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 25

MattH132 wrote:
Hi Dan,

This isn't the first time this has happened. It has happened also with a few shows, some that show 58 Mins time and I download it only to have 23 mins play. Is there a way to check if there's something wrong with my cloud DVR? Obviously it's not a one off occurrence. This has been happening since the change to the "Stream" branded app. It's across all devices but can my cloud DVR settings be fixed so this doesn't happen again? What causes the truncation? How is it possible given the fact COMCAST HAS all the data for the show given it shows up on demand the next day? Something is affecting "my" cloud and I just can't sit with the "better luck next time" answer.

This issue has nothing to do with the app itself so the timing of your issues is just unfortunate and coincidental. It is also not specific to your account so there isn't any configuration/setting that I'm able to manage which will fix it. It is primarily impacting customers in Detroit, Chicago and Twin Cities areas. I don't work in customer service/support so I'm not able to open a support ticket on your behalf. The engineering teams are aware of the issue and working to optimize the Cloud recorders to resolve. If you'd like, you can call 800-XFINITY and open a support ticket (increased quantity of tickets tend to get increased attention).

To your other question... Cloud DVR is, essentially, millions of mini-DVRs located in server farms which record each show for each customer individually (thanks to copyright law). With X1 having 6 tuners, that means there could be up to 6 simultaneous recordings for each household and millions of households. The scale is quite impressive but the technology is relatively immature (compared to stand-alone physical DVRs). Absolutely no excuse for any failures, however. 

Interestingly, your physical DVR likely fails to record properly from time-to-time. When that happens (on X1), we fail over to the Cloud DVR recording. If that is also bad, we fail over to On Demand.  If that's not available, we show an error message. With the apps, we have no way to fail over to the physical DVR recording but should bounce customers into On Demand when possible if there are issues with the Cloud recording.

I completely understand how frustrating it is and agree that we should be doing better. I know there are a lot of smart, motivated engineers working to improve the experience - even if it doesn't appear that way from the outside (and Comcast's reputation for customer service doesnt' tend to inspire confidence). I'll let the team know about your issues and truly apologize for the frustration.

Regards,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 25
Your not alone nor do I think it's a coincidence. I've been having the same trouble with stream only playing half of my shows. Also when I view my recordings from stream not all of my dvr content shows up.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 25

Jamieb1 wrote:
Your not alone nor do I think it's a coincidence. I've been having the same trouble with stream only playing half of my shows. Also when I view my recordings from stream not all of my dvr content shows up.

Your physical DVR holds over 100 hours. Cloud DVR is limited to 60 hours. Please see the FAQ here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 7 of 25

I've noticed the same issue lately.  The show on my actual DVR is 1 hour.  But when I attempt to watch it on my Android phone or using the web app, I get an incomplete show.  Even a download of the show is incomplete.  Monday night's recording was only 45 minutes out of an hour.  Tuesday nights recording was only about 15 minutes.  This seemed to happen on 2 shows (O'Reilly Factor and The Tonight Show).  Other shows on my DVR were fine when viewed on the phone.

At first I thought it was an issue with my phone since I recieved the new Stream app and Android Nuogut about the same time.  But since it happens in the web app as well I can rule either of those out as the cause.

But let me see if i understand this correctly... the app doesn't actually stream from MY DVR, but from the cloud?  Even if i live in an area that doesn't have cloud service yet?  Or maybe i do and just don't know it?

And if I'm streaming from the cloud, then despite the show being recorded on my DVR, I'm using internet data to view it when i'm connected to my internal wifi network?.

So if this is a corrupt show on the cloud, why has it just started happening?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 25

Thank you for the explanation. It would be nice if the customer service on the phone would not treat it like we are stupid and the only ones having this issue. And tell us to reinstall the app etc etc Just say they're opening a ticket and they're aware and working hard to fix it. I'm good with that for a little while. I appreciate the original question and response. I feel better knowing I'm not going nuts. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 25

I've been having the exact same problem. What is the fix for this so it doesn't happen anymore?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 10 of 25

muzicman61 wrote:

I've noticed the same issue lately.  The show on my actual DVR is 1 hour.  But when I attempt to watch it on my Android phone or using the web app, I get an incomplete show.  Even a download of the show is incomplete.  Monday night's recording was only 45 minutes out of an hour.  Tuesday nights recording was only about 15 minutes.  This seemed to happen on 2 shows (O'Reilly Factor and The Tonight Show).  Other shows on my DVR were fine when viewed on the phone.

At first I thought it was an issue with my phone since I recieved the new Stream app and Android Nuogut about the same time.  But since it happens in the web app as well I can rule either of those out as the cause.

But let me see if i understand this correctly... the app doesn't actually stream from MY DVR, but from the cloud?  Even if i live in an area that doesn't have cloud service yet?  Or maybe i do and just don't know it?

And if I'm streaming from the cloud, then despite the show being recorded on my DVR, I'm using internet data to view it when i'm connected to my internal wifi network?.

So if this is a corrupt show on the cloud, why has it just started happening?

First off, like ComcastDan said above, when watching your recordings through the Stream TV app or website, NOTHING is streaming from your DVR. If you don't believe this, schedule a show to record on your DVR, then pull the power plug from the DVR. Your recording will still record to the Cloud DVR server at the scheduled time, AND you will still be able to play back that recording on the Stream TV app and website even though your DVR is unplugged. All areas in Comcast's footprint now have Cloud DVR service.

Secondly, when streaming recordings from the Cloud using the Stream TV app and/or website on your home Xfinity network (wifi or wired), you will not be using internet data. Comcast knows that data is coming from their internal servers, and have systems in place to not count that data. It is possible to incur data charges using the Stream TV app or website if you watch channels labeled TVGO. They even put a temporary message up when you first start streaming a TVGO channel about it incurring data charges.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 25

I'm having the SAME problem -- ugh. Xfinity to way too expensive to have this many issues. Is there a known resolution for the issue? I'm all ears!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 25
I am having the same exact problem. Never had a problem until the new stream app was put into place. I don't care what comcast says. It's not a coincidence. If this isn't fixed, I will absolutely leave comcast. Completely false advertising. Now you can only watch half of your shows with an Internet connection.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 13 of 25

carvinlegacy wrote:
I am having the same exact problem. Never had a problem until the new stream app was put into place. I don't care what comcast says. It's not a coincidence. If this isn't fixed, I will absolutely leave comcast. Completely false advertising. Now you can only watch half of your shows with an Internet connection.

Hi Carvinlegacy,

Sorry you and others are having issues. When you say that you are having the exact same problem, can you please clarify? Are your recordings not full, complete recordings? I see that you are located in PA and not aware of issues in that market (only Detroit, Twin Cities, Chicago, and Albequrque are having the truncated recording issues as far as I know).  I also looked at all your recent recordings and see the start and end times as accurate. 

Are you seeing an error message? Also, what type of device and operating system are you using? 

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 25
My recordings, particularly hockey games, only will play about 1 hr. 19 mins of a 4 hour recording on the new stream app. They work fine on my home dvr but not on my Samsung tablet or Galaxy s6 using the new and pathetic stream app. The old app worked great. I am in PA and this is happening so there is an issue where I live too and I am so frustrated by this that I will leave comcast if it isn't fixed.
Posted by
New Poster
Message 15 of 25
I've been having the same problem. Indianapolis IN area
Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 25

I am having the same issue since switching to the new app I think. It's awful. There is not one show I can watch from the app from my recordings that isn't cut at least in half. It's totally unacceptable. It appears at first to be the correct length but once the show loads you find yourself in the middle of the show and you only have access to 27:45 of a 60:00 minute show.  How do we get this fixed? 

Amy Brooks

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 25

I am having the same issue, and it only started after the update to Stream.  Not a coincedence.  What is the fix?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 18 of 25

mikeflan46 wrote:

I am having the same issue, and it only started after the update to Stream.  Not a coincedence.  What is the fix?

see message 13 above from official Comcast employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 25

Same problem, same show every week!   I record TWD at 8 pm and playback is only fifteen minutes.  But my 11 pm recording of same show works perfectly.   This happened 3 weeks in a row.   

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 20 of 25

Lisa76 wrote:

Same problem, same show every week!   I record TWD at 8 pm and playback is only fifteen minutes.  But my 11 pm recording of same show works perfectly.   This happened 3 weeks in a row.   

that's weird. might try deleting the series recording (i know last night was the season finale) and adding back via the guide instead of a search. Could all of your tuners have been 'busy' or something similar? to check that on the stream app or a set top box is to bring up recordings during the time the fail to record (cloud) is happening to see if the program is shown as being recorded.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 25

I too have found the cloudDVR very hit or miss, which is extremely disappointing because this could be terrific add-on value to being a Comcast customer. Some recordings I watch on cloudDVR work fine, others are flawed. The most flawed seem to be recordings of The Walking Dead. Most of the time, the feed is broken so episodes skip ahead several seconds every few minutes of watching. I recorded the finale Sunday and, like others have mentioned, the feed was significantly flawed. Like others have mentioned, it only recorded 15 minutes. Plus, the video that was recorded still skipped ahead, making it impossible to follow the limited video that I had on the device.

Again, it's just very disappointing that the service that is being advertised and promoted doesn't work like it's supposed to. Hopefully the issues get resolved soon.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 22 of 25

fisheric26 wrote:

I too have found the cloudDVR very hit or miss, which is extremely disappointing because this could be terrific add-on value to being a Comcast customer. Some recordings I watch on cloudDVR work fine, others are flawed. The most flawed seem to be recordings of The Walking Dead. Most of the time, the feed is broken so episodes skip ahead several seconds every few minutes of watching. I recorded the finale Sunday and, like others have mentioned, the feed was significantly flawed. Like others have mentioned, it only recorded 15 minutes. Plus, the video that was recorded still skipped ahead, making it impossible to follow the limited video that I had on the device.

Again, it's just very disappointing that the service that is being advertised and promoted doesn't work like it's supposed to. Hopefully the issues get resolved soon.

the Cloud DVR works perfectly for me. There have been some issues in the Chicago area reported by Comcast.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 25

Same issue.  Chicago area.  Shows fail to record on cloud (full copy on DVR).  Shows truncated on cloud (full copy on DVR).  Some shows give error (Manifest) when trying to download.  

This past weekend, all of my shows disappeared from the cloud and were replaced by shows from September 2016 (but wouldn't play).  I thought maybe they had fixed the issue but the issue remains.  Walking dead was only 20 some minutes long.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 24 of 25

Not sure if my issue is the same, but sounds similar.  In the Denver area.  This just started this past weekend.  I try downloading my recordings on to my ipad, and it gets to 50% download, then starts over, does that about 3 times and then puts it in a que (no other downloads being performed.)  On the few shows that I am able to download, it skips, doesn't record the entire show, one the sound was missing.  Has a little better success downloading most of my shows onto my iphone (but not all), but I would prefer watching on the larger screen of my ipad.  I have reinstalled the app a couple of times with no improvement.  Was really hoping to download some shows for an upcoming trip...

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 25 of 25

This does not make sense. Tonight I recorded Law and Order, when trying to watch it on my iPad it shows 6 minutes recorded but on the DVR the entire show was recorded.

this is happening all to frequently.