Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity Roku App Receiving DRM.-6 Errors with Live TV

New Poster

Xfinity Roku App Receiving DRM.-6 Errors with Live TV

I recently had a power outage that killed my cable box, which was conveniently timed around when the new Xfinity Roku beta app was released. I switched over to that and it worked for ~1 month without issue.

Now I'm receiving "Error (DRM.-6)" errors any time I try to load a live TV stream. This happens on all channels.

The OnDemand streams work fine.

I've tried a number of things to resolve this:

• Reset my Roku
  • Logged out of Xfinity app and logged back in with new activation
  • Moved Roku to be in front of my firewall on my (non-comcast) router

I'm a bit lost as to what could be the case. I've contacted Comcast Cares over twitter but they haven't had any insights. Wanted to see if this audience might have other suggestions.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is disconnecting my router and plugging my Roku directly into my comcast gateway (Currently in bridge mode) to remove any issues happening at my router level. However the fact that the app worked for more than a month without issue makes me think it's not a router or firewall issue.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Roku App Receiving DRM.-6 Errors with Live TV

I have the same issue - started a week ago after working perfectly for 2 weeks - 4 differenet Rokus, tried all options, resetting Rokus, modems, an hour on the phone with elevated tech support - turned over to "engineering" 5 days ago for further elevated support - have not heard back yet and still does not work.

New Poster

So, at least one aspect of my issue had to do with the fact that I had returned a dead cable box (Wouldn't restart after a power outage) as the Roku app had been working just fine as a replacement. Ends up that when Comcast got my cable box back, they switched me to an internet only package. D'oh!

Just spent a few hours going back & forth with @ComcastCares on twitter and eventually came to the conclusion that this was the case after seeing only Internet listed as my services on my Xfinity account page (Don't know why they didn't realize this at the top).

So I'm now resubscribed to a cable + internet package and they're sending me a new cable box. Last time I checked my Roku app, I was still getting this error so will need to retry again later. Will follow-up with details.

Side-rant to Comcast - why do I need to have a cable box to get video over my Roku? I realize it's a beta but I don't need/want a cable box. Also, why is HD still a $10/month premium? All of the streaming services are HD native. Get over it and throw it in for free. I know it's a great cash stream, but as the cord cutting increases it will be a competitive disadvantage for you. Embrace the change. Fios is coming to my city in the next 2 years so you're going to have to hustle if you don't want me to consider switching.

Service Expert

AdeasTridae wrote:

So, at least one aspect of my issue had to do with the fact that I had returned a dead cable box (Wouldn't restart after a power outage) as the Roku app had been working just fine as a replacement. Ends up that when Comcast got my cable box back, they switched me to an internet only package. D'oh!

Just spent a few hours going back & forth with @ComcastCares on twitter and eventually came to the conclusion that this was the case after seeing only Internet listed as my services on my Xfinity account page (Don't know why they didn't realize this at the top).

So I'm now resubscribed to a cable + internet package and they're sending me a new cable box. Last time I checked my Roku app, I was still getting this error so will need to retry again later. Will follow-up with details.

Side-rant to Comcast - why do I need to have a cable box to get video over my Roku? I realize it's a beta but I don't need/want a cable box. Also, why is HD still a $10/month premium? All of the streaming services are HD native. Get over it and throw it in for free. I know it's a great cash stream, but as the cord cutting increases it will be a competitive disadvantage for you. Embrace the change. Fios is coming to my city in the next 2 years so you're going to have to hustle if you don't want me to consider switching.

Comcast is in a beta test/market test of a streaming only service in at least one location. The requirement for Roku is that you have at least one attached by coax Set Top Box. The Roku acts as a wireless customer owned set top box companion in the customer's home.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Same error here. It has something to do with DRM or "Digital Rights Management" and your owning your own modem. Sometimes a ComCast rep doesn't "tickle" the check box in your account settings indicating you own your own modem. This has everything to do with "Permissions". From what I've been able to gleen from other threads on the Internet, the Commcast service allows you to use their TV feed (Roku Beta) from your address only, meaning you MUST be signed in from YOUR Comcast Home Network for the Roku to work. Problem is, your modem isn't registered to your address somewhere in the Comcast/Xfinity's numerous check boxes. You have to verify with a Comcast rep that your modem IS set to your home address. Don't talk "Roku" or "Beta" to them, cause you'll confuse them needlessly. Just ask the simple question if YOUR modem is tied to your home address so you can watch content on your errrrr "Tablet" or something along those lines. The reps truly want to help, but tier one tech support is what it is and the time you spend walking it up the food-chain is for naught once you say "Beta".... Hope this helps. I plan to try this in the morning just the way I say, and I'll submit feedback on my results... BTW: The "On Demand" feed IS NOT covered by the same DRM as TV station's available LIVE feed content if you were wondering. That's why "On Demand" works...

Service Expert

Aerodown wrote:

Same error here. It has something to do with DRM or "Digital Rights Management" and your owning your own modem. Sometimes a ComCast rep doesn't "tickle" the check box in your account settings indicating you own your own modem. This has everything to do with "Permissions". From what I've been able to gleen from other threads on the Internet, the Commcast service allows you to use their TV feed (Roku Beta) from your address only, meaning you MUST be signed in from YOUR Comcast Home Network for the Roku to work. Problem is, your modem isn't registered to your address somewhere in the Comcast/Xfinity's numerous check boxes. You have to verify with a Comcast rep that your modem IS set to your home address. Don't talk "Roku" or "Beta" to them, cause you'll confuse them needlessly. Just ask the simple question if YOUR modem is tied to your home address so you can watch content on your errrrr "Tablet" or something along those lines. The reps truly want to help, but tier one tech support is what it is and the time you spend walking it up the food-chain is for naught once you say "Beta".... Hope this helps. I plan to try this in the morning just the way I say, and I'll submit feedback on my results... BTW: The "On Demand" feed IS NOT covered by the same DRM as TV station's available LIVE feed content if you were wondering. That's why "On Demand" works...

in the billing system the modem must be attached by device MAC ID to an "outlet" in the home for the Roku to work (same for wireless device use as 'in-home'.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I set Roku up today and kept getting the same error message. I finally decided to install an Xfinity stream on my phone and sign into my Xfinity account through the app. It solved the problem! I hope this helps.
New Poster

I set Roku up today and kept getting the same error message. I finally decided to install an Xfinity stream ( it shows up on your phone under the app as stream TV) on my phone and sign into my Xfinity account through the app. It solved the problem! I hope this helps.
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation