Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,710,818

members

96

online now

1,874,042

discussions

Back to Top

XFINITY X1 Remote App Being Retired

Posted by
Administrator

Message 1 of 14
5,149 Views

Capture.PNG

 

As of Tuesday, April 12, all XFINITY X1 Remote app users received an email notifying them that the app will no longer be available in the coming weeks and advising them to download and use the XFINITY TV Remote app, which offers all of the same features and functionality as the X1 Remote app.


Please note that the X1 Remote app was removed from the App Store and Google Play on March 29. 

 

 

Here are some frequently asked questions:

 

 

Why are you retiring the XFINITY X1 Remote app?

 

Comcast is working to consolidate its apps and create a more seamless customer experience. For years, the XFINITY X1 Remote app allowed customers to use their mobile device to control their TVs like never before, including simple voice commands to find something to watch easily, and navigate the guide. The XFINITY TV Remote app now supports voice remote functionality for XFINITY X1 customers only, and allows customers the same features and functionality as the XFINITY X1 Remote app. With the XFINITY TV Remote app, customers can change channels, browse XFINITY On Demand and TV listings, and even schedule your DVR when you're away from home.

 

Now that the XFINITY TV Remote app has been updated to include the Voice Remote functionality for X1 customers, we can now retire the XFINITY X1 Remote app.

 

 

I don't have XFINITY X1 service, can I use the XFINITY TV Remote app?

 

Yes. Non-X1 customers with an eligible box can use the app on a smartphone or tablet as a remote control. Change channels, browse XFINITY On Demand and TV listings, and even schedule your DVR when you're away from home. Please note that voice control with the XFINITY TV Remote app only works on X1 TV boxes, excluding RNG150 devices.

 

 

When can I get the XFINITY TV Remote app?

 

You can download the XFINITY TV Remote app today from the App Store or Google Play. Please see these instructions for download and setup.

 

 

Can I keep using the XFINITY X1 Remote app?

 

The XFINITY X1 Remote app will be retired and unsupported in the near future, and you'll need to switch to the XFINITY TV Remote app, which offers the same features and functionality with an updated user interface.

 

We do understand that many customers are already comfortable with the XFINITY X1 Remote app, but we're confident that you'll grow to love the XFINITY TV Remote app even more. Go ahead, delete the XFINITY X1 Remote app, and make the switch to the XFINITY TV Remote app now.

 

 

Can I change channels on my TV from the XFINITY TV Remote app?

 

Yes, you can change the channel with the XFINITY TV Remote app in the same way you do with the XFINITY X1 Remote app. Please download it from the App Store or Google Play to quickly and easily find and tune your TV to the shows you love.

 

 

What are the system requirements for voice functionality on the XFINITY TV Remote app?

 

X1 voice remote functionality requires iOS 10 on Apple devices, and Jellybean on Android device. For details, see this overview of the app.

 

 

What are the eligibility requirements for the XFINITY TV Remote app?
For details, see this overview of the app.

 

 
For additional information about the XFINITY TV Remote App see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/setting-up-the-cable-tv-app/

 

 

Setting up the XFINITY TV Remote App

 

  • Download the XFINITY TV Remote app from the iTunes app store to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. For Android, download from Google Play.
  • Select the XFINITY TV Remote app on your device.

 

Apple devices
HOW3926_03_31_15_01.png

 

Android smartphone

HOW3926_03_31_15_02.png

 

  • Once logged in, you’ll be provided with your list of eligible TV boxes.
  • Be sure that your TV box and TV are both turned on. When your eligible TV boxes are displayed on the app, a message will be sent to your TV box to match the name listed on the XFINITY TV Remote app.
  • Tap on each TV box to enter a name that you’ll be able to remember in the future for controlling your TVs.
  • If you have more than one eligible TV box, go through the same process for each TV box in your home.
  • After naming your TV boxes, click Continue.
  • Select Finish. You’re now ready to use the XFINITY TV Remote app!
  • If you have an eligible DVR on your account, DVR Manager will also be activated so that you can schedule recordings from your device.

 

For troubleshooting and helpful tips when using the XFINITY TV Remote App see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/top-tips-for-cable-tv-app/

 




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
13 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2 of 14
4,812 Views

This is sad news.  I loved the old app.

NOT a fan of the new app. The old app had EVERY button that my remote had so using it like a remove was easy.  It was a TRUE remote. I could bring up menus, and naviate on any TV. 

 

Here is are a list of features the new app does not do:

 

1. I can use the app to play On Demand items on any TV if I change the TV under devices, but when I want to use the app to play recorded shows on my TV from my DVR it will ONLY let me play it on the TV with the DVR (aka defalut TV), not on any TV in the house.  The DVR manager tab defaults to the TV with the DVR and won't let you change it even the setting shows its my kitchen TV with the check next to it.

 

2. The old app let you control and serf all the menus on your TV and the new app doesn't.  If I'm controling the TV connected with the DVR (since that is my only option using the app) and I'm playing a show I've recorded, there no longer exists buttons in the app to fast-forward, rewind, start over, etc.  I can't even bring up that menu on the TV with the remote app because the "INFO" button doesn't exist.  The only way to exit out of an OnDemand show or DVR recording is to change the channel with the app.

 

3. No arrow or select buttons.  I had a window pop up on my TV during a service call because my remote is not working and they asked me to select the "YES" button on my TV.  My remote is not working so I couldn't select Yes and the new Remote app did not have a "select" or "enter" button so I couldn't even use the APP to select YES.   If I needed to use the APP to get to the Help menu on my TV I can't get there becuase the APP has NO way to bring up any menu's on the TV with the new app.

 

I fail how anyone could see this new app as a sufficient replacement to the old app when it doesn't function at all like a remote.  A remote does more than change the channel. It brings up menus and let's you navigate within your TV cable box and this new app does NONE OF THAT. 

 

I hope you takes this feedback back to your decison makers and either add the improvements or bring back the app that does do what the title implies.  Retiring the old app before the new app works with the same quality is irresponsible and disppointing.

 

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 14
4,797 Views

Hawkinstein wrote:

This is sad news.  I loved the old app.

NOT a fan of the new app. The old app had EVERY button that my remote had so using it like a remove was easy.  It was a TRUE remote. I could bring up menus, and naviate on any TV. 

 

Here is are a list of features the new app does not do:

 

1. I can use the app to play On Demand items on any TV if I change the TV under devices, but when I want to use the app to play recorded shows on my TV from my DVR it will ONLY let me play it on the TV with the DVR (aka defalut TV), not on any TV in the house.  The DVR manager tab defaults to the TV with the DVR and won't let you change it even the setting shows its my kitchen TV with the check next to it.

 

2. The old app let you control and serf all the menus on your TV and the new app doesn't.  If I'm controling the TV connected with the DVR (since that is my only option using the app) and I'm playing a show I've recorded, there no longer exists buttons in the app to fast-forward, rewind, start over, etc.  I can't even bring up that menu on the TV with the remote app because the "INFO" button doesn't exist.  The only way to exit out of an OnDemand show or DVR recording is to change the channel with the app.

 

3. No arrow or select buttons.  I had a window pop up on my TV during a service call because my remote is not working and they asked me to select the "YES" button on my TV.  My remote is not working so I couldn't select Yes and the new Remote app did not have a "select" or "enter" button so I couldn't even use the APP to select YES.   If I needed to use the APP to get to the Help menu on my TV I can't get there becuase the APP has NO way to bring up any menu's on the TV with the new app.

 

I fail how anyone could see this new app as a sufficient replacement to the old app when it doesn't function at all like a remote.  A remote does more than change the channel. It brings up menus and let's you navigate within your TV cable box and this new app does NONE OF THAT. 

 

I hope you takes this feedback back to your decison makers and either add the improvements or bring back the app that does do what the title implies.  Retiring the old app before the new app works with the same quality is irresponsible and disppointing.

 

Thank you for your consideration.


another customer here. I use the Xfinity TV Remote app and it have arrow function and can select any TV to control. The android device has to go through settings (gear) to set 'default' TV (DVR has no effect on X1). the iOS devices have a quick switch set top box name switcher icon.

 

other than not having page up/down and flash back button what would you want added that has to do with X1 equipment? Keep in mind that the app is using 'internet' not infrared to control the set top box.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 14
4,794 Views
I agree the new app does not replace the old one at all!!! Need back ability to use all remote buttons. The old app was critical to use x1 by my quadriplegic son who cannot use standard remote but can control his Android phone. Now he can no longer do most thing like before.

Please fix asap!!!
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 5 of 14
4,788 Views

Dgyfll wrote:
I agree the new app does not replace the old one at all!!! Need back ability to use all remote buttons. The old app was critical to use x1 by my quadriplegic son who cannot use standard remote but can control his Android phone. Now he can no longer do most thing like before.

Please fix asap!!!

what control are you missing that is x1 device related?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 6 of 14
4,679 Views

I was pretty miffed myself when I thought I no longer had the remote functionality of the old X1 remote app, but in my frustration I decided to try the voice command function. When I pushed the microphone button on the top left, I got 3 more menu items that had almost everything I was missing, with the exception of the 15 second rewind and 5 minute forward buttons.

 

Hope this helps.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 7 of 14
4,655 Views

This Helps, but the Skip forward and skip back are the most used buttons on my remote.

Why would these be removed?

This makes watching sports so much harder!!


Bikebrain wrote:

I was pretty miffed myself when I thought I no longer had the remote functionality of the old X1 remote app, but in my frustration I decided to try the voice command function. When I pushed the microphone button on the top left, I got 3 more menu items that had almost everything I was missing, with the exception of the 15 second rewind and 5 minute forward buttons.

 

Hope this helps.


 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 8 of 14
4,652 Views

Hawkinstein wrote:

This is sad news.  I loved the old app.

NOT a fan of the new app. The old app had EVERY button that my remote had so using it like a remove was easy.  It was a TRUE remote. I could bring up menus, and naviate on any TV. 

 

Here is are a list of features the new app does not do:

 

1. I can use the app to play On Demand items on any TV if I change the TV under devices, but when I want to use the app to play recorded shows on my TV from my DVR it will ONLY let me play it on the TV with the DVR (aka defalut TV), not on any TV in the house.  The DVR manager tab defaults to the TV with the DVR and won't let you change it even the setting shows its my kitchen TV with the check next to it.

 

2. The old app let you control and serf all the menus on your TV and the new app doesn't.  If I'm controling the TV connected with the DVR (since that is my only option using the app) and I'm playing a show I've recorded, there no longer exists buttons in the app to fast-forward, rewind, start over, etc.  I can't even bring up that menu on the TV with the remote app because the "INFO" button doesn't exist.  The only way to exit out of an OnDemand show or DVR recording is to change the channel with the app.

 

3. No arrow or select buttons.  I had a window pop up on my TV during a service call because my remote is not working and they asked me to select the "YES" button on my TV.  My remote is not working so I couldn't select Yes and the new Remote app did not have a "select" or "enter" button so I couldn't even use the APP to select YES.   If I needed to use the APP to get to the Help menu on my TV I can't get there becuase the APP has NO way to bring up any menu's on the TV with the new app.

 

I fail how anyone could see this new app as a sufficient replacement to the old app when it doesn't function at all like a remote.  A remote does more than change the channel. It brings up menus and let's you navigate within your TV cable box and this new app does NONE OF THAT. 

 

I hope you takes this feedback back to your decison makers and either add the improvements or bring back the app that does do what the title implies.  Retiring the old app before the new app works with the same quality is irresponsible and disppointing.

 

Thank you for your consideration.


I'm with you even by selecting the mic button, I don;t get all the functions of the old App.  New should be improved, not removed.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 9 of 14
4,565 Views

well, there are actually a lot of problems with the app.

It would be better to have all the buttons on the remote, like the old app.  For instance, having a "guide" button, instead of having to navigate through "xfinity" button, then scrolling to guide, etc.  There is no INFO button.

 

Problems with the app:

 

The app seems to need the microphone to be available (not used by another app) in order for anything to work, even if you are not using the microphone for commands/searches.  In fact, the app wont even bring up the guide or initial screens with the mic in use on other app.  We have the phone setup to have mic always listening for voice commands for other phone functions, texting, etc., so it is an issue. 

 

There also seems to be an issue with scrolling through the guide listing.  We have a mouth controlled joystick that operates like a mouse plugged into the phone.  The mouse scroll commands emulate scroll dragging up and down on touchscreen and works on all other applications but we could not get it to work with the new xfinity app.  We could not figure out how to get the guide to scroll.

 

With all these problems above, it was already enough of a problem to try and  get into specifics on other missing buttons or controls.

 

-Dave

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 10 of 14
4,377 Views

This is in no way a consolidated app for the Remote X1 App... First off... the voice feature although nice at times is not the end all for remote control of a DVR. We need buttons... Particularly for those who can not speak or do not want to speak a detailed request where one button click can do it much more efficiently.  Found it very convenient to use my smart phone as a remote control.  Bring back the buttons that are on the actual remote back into the application please...I might use the application.  The current state of the app is merely a guide app with voice commands.... I like to enter numbers for my favorite channels or desired channels. I do not want to search through a list. 

While watching a recorded show ... it is difficult to manuever the rewind or fast forward via voice... Come on!  Don't let a marketing guy who is enamored with the voice function of the X1 determine what Customers really want...

 

" XFINITY TV Remote app, which offers all of the same features and functionality as the X1 Remote app." IT DOES NOT!

 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 11 of 14
4,185 Views

Cheyennemtnman wrote:

This is in no way a consolidated app for the Remote X1 App... First off... the voice feature although nice at times is not the end all for remote control of a DVR. We need buttons... Particularly for those who can not speak or do not want to speak a detailed request where one button click can do it much more efficiently.  Found it very convenient to use my smart phone as a remote control.  Bring back the buttons that are on the actual remote back into the application please...I might use the application.  The current state of the app is merely a guide app with voice commands.... I like to enter numbers for my favorite channels or desired channels. I do not want to search through a list. 

While watching a recorded show ... it is difficult to manuever the rewind or fast forward via voice... Come on!  Don't let a marketing guy who is enamored with the voice function of the X1 determine what Customers really want...

 

" XFINITY TV Remote app, which offers all of the same features and functionality as the X1 Remote app." IT DOES NOT!

 


Please click the microphone icon in the TV Remote app and scroll to the left (there are 3 screens of controls). You should find all the buttons you are looking for there.

 

You can also use the Search at the top of the TV listings to "Find a channel by name or number".

 

-ComcastDan




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 14
4,125 Views

I am also a quadriplegic using the app with an adaptive pointing device. Overall the new app is working good. I do have difficulty scrolling with the guide. It would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL to have PgUp & PgDn buttons on the guide. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 13 of 14
4,094 Views

makoa2001 wrote:

I am also a quadriplegic using the app with an adaptive pointing device. Overall the new app is working good. I do have difficulty scrolling with the guide. It would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL to have PgUp & PgDn buttons on the guide. 


Thank you for your feedback. I'll share it with our accessibility and product teams.

 

Best,
ComcastDan




Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 14 of 14
568 Views

Using the microphone icon to access the portion of the app that duplicates the handheld remote is very poor interface.  A microphone represents voice interaction and nothing else.  This makes the interface lack any intuitive interaction.  The portions of the interface that duplicate the DVR interface with the guide, on demand, and DVR manager are incredibly useless, since the DVR inteface is already on the TV.  Burying the handheld interface makes the the app difficult to use.  The app should open with the interface that duplicates the handheld interaction.  This is very poor interface design, and it's clear that no one took the app home and tried to use it before the release, and it's clear that the app didn't go in front of a focus group or beta testers before release, otherwise they would have told you how bad the interface was.