discussions

XFINITY TV on Roku

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 50 of 1,445
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 51 of 1,445

One of the questions being will it do 4K?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 52 of 1,445

Now that the furor behind "Unlock the Box" has died down, it seems this project has been relegated to moth-ball status.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 53 of 1,445

Hi,

Several months ago I read that Comcast and Roku are teaming up to provide the Xfinity TV app available to Roku users (article below). Since that announcement I haven't seen or heard of any updates. Does anyone know when this is launching?

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-and-roku-bring-xfinity-tv-partner-ap...

Thanks!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 54 of 1,445

They said Fall, but I'd be surprised of we see it this year.

jasonkitchen wrote:

Hi,

Several months ago I read that Comcast and Roku are teaming up to provide the Xfinity TV app available to Roku users (article below). Since that announcement I haven't seen or heard of any updates. Does anyone know when this is launching?

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-and-roku-bring-xfinity-tv-partner-ap...

Thanks!

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 55 of 1,445

The only thing to stop Comcast would be a nation wide strike where everyone cancels service the same day.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 56 of 1,445

Flingmccooter wrote:

The only thing to stop Comcast would be a nation wide strike where everyone cancels service the same day.

By "everyone", do you mean every Roku owner?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 57 of 1,445

Looks like they've launched it for some channels but not all.  I'm trying to add HGTV and DIY but Xfinity is not listed.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 58 of 1,445

Cnn Go also works and is live but still no xfinity app.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 59 of 1,445

Sometime ago it was announced that the Xfinity TV app will be available on ROKU later this year. When is the release date?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 60 of 1,445
Has yet to be announced.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 61 of 1,445
Posted by
Visitor

Message 62 of 1,445

That is not true! XFinity is not on the list. Time Warner and Cox and every other little cable company is on there but when you try to log in with XFinity it is not available. Should be because we pay for these channels so we should be able to stream it.

When is "FALL"? When will the ROKU app be out?

Please update!!!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 63 of 1,445

Why does it always take Comcast so long to do anything?

While we wait for the Roku App (yawn!), can Xfinity at least get added to the NFLs list of providers so that NFL Network/RedZone can be watched via the NFL App. It seems that every other TV provider in the country is on that list. Again, why does it take Comcast so long to do something?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 64 of 1,445

I am also wondering about a release date. I've been scanning the Xfinity and Roku forums, but I haven't seen anything definitive yet.

Regarding ComcastTenika 's reply -- It's good to see some of the features of the partner app listed. I was wondering about packaging/bundling and pricing ... will it be similar to the Sling TV and Playstation Vue models where there are multiple bundling tiers with different pricing? [SlingTV: Orange/Blue/Orange+Blue; PSVue: Access/Core/Elite]

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 65 of 1,445

for each delay in getting the app for xfinity/roku Comcast is losing revenue.I am ready to use this service as this will allow my 4 roku household the ability to watch Comcast without the need and extra charge for set top boxes.Its Fall now you said it would be up..Also if you have Comcast internet and use the Roku app to stream Comcast I understand that wont effect your data use.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 66 of 1,445
So, there are some new Roku devices coming out coming out next month http://www.avsforum.com/roku-introduces-five-streaming-video-players-including-roku-ultra/, with a couple of them doing HDR (HDR10). "The HDR implementation in the Premiere+ and Ultra models utilizes HDR10, the format used for Ultra HD Blu-ray. With Vudu’s recent announcement that it will support HDR10 in addition to Dolby Vision, all the major streaming services that offer HDR (including Amazon and Netflix) offer HDR10 content." The question is will the Xfinity app include 4k and/or HDR shows and events?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 67 of 1,445

The press release on this in April 2016 said soon.  Based on past announcements I would expect around October--2018.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 68 of 1,445

That's not what the OP is talking about. Those are external channel roku applications, and yes, Xfinity is usually the last provider to finally cave in and add themselves. They recently decided to cancel access to the starz app, too. 

No, this is supposed to be basically the X1 interface on the ROKU - allowing for TVGO access to all available channels with just the ROKU.

Comcast said a fall release, back in April - and it's Fall - and... naturally, we have no new information. Funny how Comcast RUSHES out items that are profitable, but when it comes to customer service and edifaction, we wait, and wait,..... and wait.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 69 of 1,445
Posted by
Contributor

Message 70 of 1,445

They announced the app ages ago, said FALL/Later this year. Well, the year is almost over. 

Comcast, can we PLEASE have an update on this? The Xfinity TV partner app would be a nice addition to my new Roku ultra. It's annoying that comcasts promises are always delivered seemingly last, or after every other cable company has edified it's customer base. 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 71 of 1,445

The app was announced shortly after the FCC started pushing to allow users to not have to rent a cable box. Now that the FCC has backed off, Comcast and other ISP's with similar announcements will keep delaying and eventually drop the idea of streaming on fixed devices like Roku.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 72 of 1,445
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 73 of 1,445

See the problem is that on Sept 8th of this year it waas announced in printed that the app was currently available on Samsung and Roku products.  so what's up?

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/four-months-comcast-s-xfinity-tv-partner-program-still-missing-half...

I'm a squeaky wheel.  I won't shut up til I get some grease here.

I've been talking to other Comcast employyees, here as well as opn the phones for a while, since losing TV GO as well as my STARZ play App and Access to other channnels on ROKU.

Maybe if a few more wheels start to squeak, Comcast will go from "To Be Announced" to "By this Date." I'll live with that, at least until that date comes and goes without any positive action.  I may be locked into a contract, but that doesn't mean I need to sit back with my tail between my legs and hope COmcast will deign to toss me a table scrap or tw.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 74 of 1,445

So it's Fall, still no updated information... since APRIL about the APP.

ROKU has no information and refers you back to comcast about the apps release date.

Can an Xfinity employee give us a timeframe here? 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 75 of 1,445

Dlaney35 wrote:

So it's Fall, still no updated information... since APRIL about the APP.

ROKU has no information and refers you back to comcast about the apps release date.

Can an Xfinity employee give us a timeframe here? 

Maybe is was just an April fools' joke. Of course, Comcast customers are the fools.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 76 of 1,445

dreichlin411 wrote:

See the problem is that on Sept 8th of this year it waas announced in printed that the app was currently available on Samsung and Roku products.  so what's up?

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/four-months-comcast-s-xfinity-tv-partner-program-still-missing-half...

I'm a squeaky wheel.  I won't shut up til I get some grease here.

I've been talking to other Comcast employyees, here as well as opn the phones for a while, since losing TV GO as well as my STARZ play App and Access to other channnels on ROKU.

Maybe if a few more wheels start to squeak, Comcast will go from "To Be Announced" to "By this Date." I'll live with that, at least until that date comes and goes without any positive action.  I may be locked into a contract, but that doesn't mean I need to sit back with my tail between my legs and hope COmcast will deign to toss me a table scrap or tw.

The XFINITY TV app for Roku is still in active development with good progress being made. I've seen a demo and it is coming together nicely but not yet complete. The next step after development will be an internal beta test period. We have not yet announced a release date but are anxious to get this to you when ready.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 77 of 1,445
Posted by
Visitor

Message 78 of 1,445

I would love to be able to have another box but it is expensive withe the other services. Thus to have a my Roku be able to be in my room so I can watch TV in my bedroom would be great and the ability to watch live TV with out having to use all of the other apps would be great I'm asking this to happen please I you guys would get it done I'm sure you db have more customer base pleas e I'm begging please I want this 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 79 of 1,445

I am one more "squeaky wheel" looking for the xfinity app for roku. I signed up for xfinity in september cuz the sales rep who came to my house told me the app was available. Up to this point I had been a binge watcher using  hulu, netflix, amazon prime and an hd antenna for my local channels. Buyer beware. 12 month contract no hd  channels and no roku app!!!!!!! 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 80 of 1,445
I was just told that this app would be out by the end of this year (in 2016 were the exact words), and that it would include the 4K content that is in the UHD Sampler app that is in Samsung and LG Smart TVs. We'll see...

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 81 of 1,445
I am also waiting impatiently as I went out and purchased 4 more Rokus on top of the 2 I already owned. Looks like I jumped the gun assuming Comcast would keep their word for once. I've grown tired of waiting and plan on cancelling the TV portion of my service. I honestly just need my local channels and I can stream the rest. Comcast is good for one thing and that's fast broadband. All of my experiences with them have been poor. Claiming now that the app is still in development and then it will need to be beta tested is nonsense. If this is true, then you have a few paying customers right here that would be happy to beta test for you if given the chance. It's the least Comcast could do for most of us...
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 82 of 1,445

I volunteer to beta test the Roku app.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 83 of 1,445
I'm a field tech for Comcast and I just bought the roku ultra plus just so I'm ready when the app is released. I have been asking management leaders to see if they can get a update from corporate. If I get a date I will be sure to share it with everyone.

I do want to mention that the nvidia shield is another device that will recive the app. If you sideload the app into the shield it does work now.

And if you didn't know the x1 cable box will soon have the Netflix app on it. Some customer may already have it.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 84 of 1,445

I was told a few days ago that this app would be out by the end of this year (in 2016 were the exact words), and that it would include the 4K content that is in the UHD Sampler app that is in Samsung and LG Smart TVs.

We'll see...

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 85 of 1,445
Posted by
Visitor

Message 86 of 1,445

Told by who?  someone at Comcast?  Why is there ZERO information about this online?   All the news is from Aug. and Sept.   They have about 2 months left in the year at this point.  Time to speak up COMCAST

Posted by
Contributor

Message 87 of 1,445

Another squeaky wheel. I thought about getting dish or direct TV so I could watch in different rooms without paying for the Xfinity box but was happy to hear that there would be an Roku app but I am tired of waiting. I put two kids through college since it was first announced and grew and shaved five beard's...I will give them till Thanksgiving if nothing by them I will give up and get direct TV  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 88 of 1,445
Yes, it was someone at Comcast. Like I said, We'll see...

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 89 of 1,445
Just curious:

Will X1 be necessary once the Comast/Roku app is released?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 90 of 1,445
I don't believe so but I'm not 100% sure. Comcast is working to get x1 in every house and will do away with the legacy devices.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 91 of 1,445
Here is my recent Twitter conversation with "ComcastCares" regarding NFL, BEIN and the ROKU app:

I've posted a couple of questions on the Xfinity forum and frankly the responses from Comcast have been either non-existent or unsatisfactory. The questions are 1. When will the Xfinity TV app be available on ROKU? I'm tired of hearing the standard "later this fall" response. I and I suspect many other Comcast customers would like a definite answer. 2. Why is Xfinity not a listed as a TV provider for or ? These are free services for BEIN and RED ZONE subscribers but for some reason Comcast decides not to allow Xfinity to be listed. Again I'm yet to receive a satisfactory answer, especially when you consider that all the other major TV providers are on the lists and have been for some time.

(ComcastCares reply) :

Thank you for reaching out to us privately. In reference to your ROKU inquiry, there is still no set date as we are still in the beginning stage of the partnership, but hope to launch the XFINITY TV partner app to the ROKU before the end of 2016. The beIN Sports and NFL RedZone are a part of a subscription to our Sports Package and you can view everything our Sports Package has to offer here: I apologize for any inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

This is why your customers are so frustrated! The Comcast announcement on 04/20/16 stated that the Xfinity App for ROKU would launch in the fall. Now I'm being told that you "hope" to launch it before the end of the year. I don't understand what the delay is. Are Comcast deliberately dragging their feet on this? Also, you are missing my point on the NFL and BEIN question. I already subscribe to the Xfinity Sports Package and pay an extra $9.95 per month for it. The problem is that I cannot go to and access NFL Network and Red Zone from outside my home because Xfinity is not listed as a TV provider on that website. Similarly I cannot go to  and access the extra free BEIN content online because again Xfinity is not listed as a provider. I should be able to access this content as BEIN is part of my sports subscription. The only thing stopping me is that Comcast does not allow Xfinity to be listed as a provider. Go to those two websites I mention and you will then understand the issue. The reason I am contacting you today is because I received an email from Xfinity (Charlie Herrin, Vice President) singing Comcast's praises. The email subject was "See how we're improving your experience". Well, I'm putting that to the test today, because from where I'm sitting the Xfinity "experience" has not been very good up to now. And please make sure that Mr Herrin sees this message - It's easy to say that things are improving but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

(ComcastCares reply) :

I apologize for the delay of the ROKU app services, we are working to get this out as soon as possible. Comcast does not currently have an agreement in place with the NFL to offer access to NFL RedZone coverage online or via your mobile device. Our programming teams meet with the NFL regularly regarding this situation and other matters. A contract and agreement to terms are required before we can offer this service to our customers. We are currently contractually restricted to offering the live streams of these channels only if you are connected to your home Comcast network. Our customers can access live streams of NFL Network and NFL RedZone now via the XFINITY TV app via a mobile device or online on a laptop or desktop. I recommend visiting this link for more information and to request having this added in the future:  

Frankly, it does not appear that Comcast are working to launch the ROKU app "as soon as possible", It's got to the point where I'll believe it when I see it. Regarding the NFL, why is it then that all of the other major TV providers allow online access via the NFL website and app? The fact that Xfinity is the only major player missing would suggest that the problem lies with Comcast. And you do not address the question of the free extra BEIN online content. I'm missing the opportunity of watching a soccer game on BEIN3 right now because of Comcast's reluctance to come into line with other TV providers. I will request these services via the link you provided but again I won't hold my breath that any action will be taken. Still, as long as Mr Herrin thinks that Comcast is "improving our experience" then everything is just fine, isn't it?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 92 of 1,445

I can confirm that the Roku app is really in active development and is planned to release before the end of the year. Roku is an entirely new platform which does not repurpose any existing code except backend systems. Please be patient while we develop, test and get this app ready for you to enjoy.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 93 of 1,445

Thanks for the update ComcastDan, I'll hope and hold you to it that it launches by then. Winter does start on Dec 21'st however, so theoretically, comcast still can honor the initial announcment assuming it launches by then.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 94 of 1,445

Thanks for the update Comcast Dan.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 95 of 1,445

What programming and features will be available with the XFINITY TV partner app?
XFINITY Guide
Live and On Demand programming, including:
Local broadcasts
Cable programming
Premium networks
Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) Channels
Cloud DVR recordings

What customers will be eligible for the app?
At this time, we are still determining eligibility for the XFINITY TV partner app. More information will be available later this year when we are ready to launch the app.

Will customers still need a TV box to access the XFINITY TV partner app on Roku devices and 2016 Samsung Smart TVs?
No, the XFINITY TV partner app will provide access to the channels and features listed above without the need for a TV box.

Do you plan to partner with other companies to expand the offering of the XFINITY TV partner app to other devices?
Yes, we continue to explore and discuss opportunities with other companies to hopefully expand this offering to other devices in the future.

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 96 of 1,445

OK - I get it.   COMCAST cares about its customers.  So for those us who have bought the smart (ROKU) tvs, what about some goodwill for our patience and give us a "loaner" box for free until the app is available?  Maybe that will move the production date forward with some sense urgency...  After the app comes available, anyone who has not returned the borrowed equipment could be charged a fee for the cost.  You could even loan them and charge a refundable deposit up front so you know you wouldn't lose out.  Win-win, if you ask me.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 97 of 1,445

Will usage of the app count against our data cap?

Posted by
Administrator

Message 98 of 1,445
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 99 of 1,445
That is a very good question. I just got out of a meeting with our regional manager and I did get a chance to ask him about the app. He seems to think that Roku will stream the channels through the X1 box but from what I'm reading it will be an app. If it is a actual app then I would assume it is using the Internet only. That could explain why we just recently added data caps for Internet usage.
At this time I cannot find any solid information. But if I do get more information about this product I will share it with you.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon