XFINITY Stream on Roku

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 401 of 1,586

AllYouCanDrink wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

AllYouCanDrink wrote:
In reply to mikec171,

Time Warner Cable has the TWC Roku channel for their service and Charter has the Spectrum TV Roku channel for theirs. CenturyLink also has the Prism TV channel for Roku.

Xfinity is nowhere close to breaking new ground in this area

Time Warner, Charter and CenturyLink don't have the X1 box with all it can and will do, which the Roku app will emulate. That's the new ground it's breaking.

That's not what he said. What he said was that other traditional TV providers also don't have Roku apps, that the only ones who do are the ones who are only online streamers. Quoted "Sure, the purely online streaming vendors may but the actual TV vendors do not" 

The X1 never factors into that....

and I wouldn't count on the Roku app being very X1 like

Re-read what I said paying particular attention to the last sentence.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 402 of 1,586
I dont think most people actually care if the app is based off of the x1 , they just want to be able to watch the channels they currently pay for without having to pay to rent multiple x1, hd, or standard comcast boxes. I honestly wouldn't even care if the specific xfinity app never comes out as long as comcast would allow us to have an access code for current roku channels as every other provider does. If the kids could watch Nick Jr or the wife could watch food network with an access code (that scrolling through the list looks like over 100 other providers offer) is all I really need. Why does comcast always have to be last or the one difficult company?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 403 of 1,586

According to Cord Cutter News, at the CES, Chas Smith of Roku was saying that the DirecTV Now app would be out in a few weeks and that so would the Xfinity Roku app.

"Chas Smith also added that Comcast’s Xfinity Roku Channel will also come to Roku players in the “next few weeks”. - See more at: http://cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-coming-roku-next-weeks/#sthash.i1NZdZ9x.dpuf"

http://cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-coming-roku-next-weeks/

Posted by
Contributor

Message 404 of 1,586

Thank you allyoucandrink for the link.

That sounds very encouraging. Maybe just maybe in a few weeks we will get it. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 405 of 1,586
I would also bet that one of the delays with the Xfinity app is due to the issues with the 7.5 OS.

Xfinity is probably designing the app in a manner that will require the newer 7.5 OS, which gave developers a lot more ability, but the 7.5 rollout has had numerous start and stops.

The most recent one was posted in the Roku forum on Dec 23, and was saying that not only was the rollout stopped, but that they were actually rolling back the update to 7.2 for those who got it already.

The Roku developer said later in the same thread that they were working through the holiday break to try and make it right.

If the Xfinity app requires 7.5, which I am betting it does, the delay of the release would be partially, if not entirely, due to the OS that they designed it for not being ready.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98184
Posted by
Contributor

Message 406 of 1,586

If this actually happens, I will be so happy.  Three TV's in the house have Roku but no cable box.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 407 of 1,586

FWIW, people in the TWC/Charter Spectrum forums are reporting a lot of problems with this app, so not all is well for those that have it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 408 of 1,586

I was reading about Comcast introduceing a "Digital Home" service at this year's CES and they said it would release in Q1 of this year. Is this anyway connected to the Roku app or two separate things? Sorry i am not a tech expert but from what I understand the new gateway will expand wifi but unsure if it has anything to do with the Roku app but the release dates are about the same causing me to wonder.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 409 of 1,586
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 410 of 1,586

Lonniew wrote:

I was reading about Comcast introduceing a "Digital Home" service at this year's CES and they said it would release in Q1 of this year. Is this anyway connected to the Roku app or two separate things? Sorry i am not a tech expert but from what I understand the new gateway will expand wifi but unsure if it has anything to do with the Roku app but the release dates are about the same causing me to wonder.

These are separate initiatives. The experience on Roku, however, will benefit from better wifi throughout the home.  The new wifi equipment we're rolling out in 2017 will be very advanced and powerful. Can't wait to get it myself!

Cheers,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 411 of 1,586
A similar related-but-not-quite question...

The early-mid 2016 demo included Nvidia Shield TV. Are you (or anybody else) aware of the Android TV apps current status?

I'm curious as to whether it's being worked on simultaneously, is already finished but planned for a later release, or if it's been tossed aside as a proof-of-concept that may never reach the public.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_0386.JPG
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 412 of 1,586

Hope it comes soon.  I've been using a legacy WMC system with extenders throughout the house, and with the roll-out of MPEG4 video its made the extenders virtually worthless.  Wish there was a successor to it but everything I've seen of the HDHomeRun doesn't suggest its even close to being ready.  

I waited and waited hoping the rokus/Xfinity app would replace the role of the extenders, but I'm hitting my time limit...if something doesn't roll out soon I'm switching to something a little more reasonable than Comcast to handle multiple TVs (the multiple box rental fees are just nuts).  Too bad too...been an xfinity customer for 10+ years.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 413 of 1,586

dcburnquist wrote:

The early-mid 2016 demo included Nvidia Shield TV. Are you (or anybody else) aware of the Android TV apps current status?

I'm curious as to whether it's being worked on simultaneously, is already finished but planned for a later release, or if it's been tossed aside as a proof-of-concept that may never reach the public.

Thanks in advance.

The Xfinity TV ap has been available on Android for a long time. Any android tv box with access to the Google Play store and a recent enough version of Android should be in the clear download, install and run the Android TV app.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 414 of 1,586

ComcastDan wrote:

Lonniew wrote:

These are separate initiatives. The experience on Roku, however, will benefit from better wifi throughout the home.  The new wifi equipment we're rolling out in 2017 will be very advanced and powerful. Can't wait to get it myself!

Cheers,
ComcastDan

ONLY if the Roku device is connected via WiFi.  If it's connected via ethernet, will there be any kind of benefit?  If so, what?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 415 of 1,586
How can I access xfinity tv on my Roku I see that the last update was in mid 2016
Posted by
Contributor

Message 416 of 1,586

BruceDelaney wrote:

dcburnquist wrote:

Thanks in advance.

The Xfinity TV ap has been available on Android for a long time. Any android tv box with access to the Google Play store and a recent enough version of Android should be in the clear download, install and run the Android TV app.

Don't want to derail the thread but want to state why this is incorrect. While Android TV is based on Android, the Android TV Play store differs from the regular Android Play store. It will show you apps that were specifically designed to work on Android TV with the use of a remote instead of a touch screen and designed for a big TV screen. While you can sideload any android apk onto an Android TV device not all will run properly. For instance the latest Xfinity TV app will install on the Shield Android TV however when you try to run it, the app immediately force closes. Comcast must have coded something in the more recent Xfinity TV android apps to prevent them from running on Android TV devices. The most recent version that will run on the Nvidia Shield Android TV is version 3.2.1.028 which was released in March. No version released after that will run on Android TV. I don't think it would be much trouble for Comcast to make an Android TV version of their Xfinity TV app, but someone would probably have to sweeten the pot to give them incentive to do so.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 417 of 1,586

An online chat agent shared some key info with me.  The TV app became available on Dec 19, in beta.  Your Roku device with firmware 7.2 or greater has to be logged in through your Comcast email in order for the channel to show up.  Once it is out of beta, you'll be able to log into it through other email addresses.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 418 of 1,586

egnlsn wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

Lonniew wrote:

Cheers,
ComcastDan

ONLY if the Roku device is connected via WiFi.  If it's connected via ethernet, will there be any kind of benefit?  If so, what?

As long as the ethernet is from your home router it should work just as your wifi does (that is, Comcast will detect you are 'in home').

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 419 of 1,586

nwikoff wrote:

An online chat agent shared some key info with me.  The TV app became available on Dec 19, in beta.  Your Roku device with firmware 7.2 or greater has to be logged in through your Comcast email in order for the channel to show up.  Once it is out of beta, you'll be able to log into it through other email addresses.

Is this true? What is the beta code?

That is, what did you search for to find the beta version of the app? Also, did you find via the Roku UI or through adding the channel through Roku on the web?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 420 of 1,586

>>nwikoff wrote:

>>An online chat agent shared some key info with me.  The TV app became available on Dec 19, in beta.  Your Roku device with firmware 7.2 or greater has to be >>logged in through your Comcast email in order for the channel to show up.  Once it is out of beta, you'll be able to log into it through other email addresses.

It was never avaliable for public beta.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 421 of 1,586

Rustyben wrote:

egnlsn wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

Lonniew wrote:

Cheers,
ComcastDan

As long as the ethernet is from your home router it should work just as your wifi does (that is, Comcast will detect you are 'in home').

The response doesn't address the question, but I take it that if connected via ethernet, there will be no difference from what we experience now.

How will the new equipment enhance the WiFi experience?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 422 of 1,586

MidnightSVT wrote:

nwikoff wrote:

That is, what did you search for to find the beta version of the app? Also, did you find via the Roku UI or through adding the channel through Roku on the web?

No, this is not accurate. There is no publicly available beta for the XFINITY TV Roku app at this time, nor is there a private beta code for external testing.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 423 of 1,586
The only benefit of connecting the Roku box to the ethernet would be to eliminate Wi-Fi issues. If you deal with the range issues or intermittent drop outs from your Wi-Fi then of course ethernet would illuminate those issues. As far as I know the ultra plus is the only unit with a ethernet plug in. That is the unit that I have just purchased and so far have no issues.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 424 of 1,586
My post got a bit buried.

Not to derail, but any info on Android TV app status? It appeared to be demoable whwn the partner program was announced...
IMG_0386.JPG
Posted by
Visitor

Message 425 of 1,586

It's already available on Android. Phones, tablets etc. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 426 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
The only benefit of connecting the Roku box to the ethernet would be to eliminate Wi-Fi issues. If you deal with the range issues or intermittent drop outs from your Wi-Fi then of course ethernet would illuminate those issues. As far as I know the ultra plus is the only unit with a ethernet plug in. That is the unit that I have just purchased and so far have no issues.

Some people prefer wired to wireless for a variety of reasons, not just range issues or dropouts.  But, that's a different discussion.

Roku 3, 4, Premier+ and Ultra all have ethernet ports.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 427 of 1,586

Joey42 wrote:

It's already available on Android. Phones, tablets etc. 

Android TV is not exactly the same as the Android used for phones and tablets. Android TV apps are designed to work with a remote control and for the big screen while standard Android apps are designed for phones and tablets which have smaller touch screens.  Android TV can be found on Sony, Sharp and several other brands of TVs. The settop boxes running Android TV are Nvidia's Shield Android TV, Google's Nexus player, Xiaomi's Mi Box, Dish's AirTV & Razer's Forge TV. The latest version of the Xfinity TV app does not work on Android TV devices which is why some of us are asking if/when an Android TV version of the Xfinity TV app will be available. I think we should have a separate thread for Android TV.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 428 of 1,586

Not True - I have the MiBox Android TV.  Only a fraction of the apps available for mobile versions of android are available for TV and tablet versions of android.  I've even tried sideloading 2 older versions of the mobile app but upon installing the app force closes Smiley Sad

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 429 of 1,586

MidnightSVT wrote:

nwikoff wrote:

It is a closed beta.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 430 of 1,586
Well, I went through the trouble of associating my Roku to my Comcast email, and an Xfinity channel has not shown up as TWO chat agents told me it would. If there is/was a beta, I can't get it.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 431 of 1,586
nwikoff,

Read the responses given.

It was never available other than as a closed beta. The info the user posted from the chat was wrong. Associating your Xfinity email with your Roku account will do nothing
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 432 of 1,586
Littlesender wrote:

Not True - I have the MiBox Android TV.  Only a fraction of the apps available for mobile versions of android are available for TV and tablet versions of android.  I've even tried sideloading 2 older versions of the mobile app but upon installing the app force closes Smiley Sad

Version "3.1.1.019" of the mobile app works on the Android TV MI box with a wireless mouse. There are some occasion snags, but very usable.

I have been using version "3.1.1.019" for months on a few different android boxes.

The newer versions of the mobile app will crash or block the HDMI port output.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 433 of 1,586

can you remove the post saying it available on Beta,we dont need anymore false information..

Posted by
Visitor
Message 434 of 1,586
It's January, when will XFINITY be available on Roku?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 435 of 1,586

I'm new to ROKU,  but have been with Comcast for more $1000's than I care to think about.

Untill there is a public Xfinity App for Roku,    would a work around option be to use a Roku Web Browser, and access the Xfinity site directly ?

Geoff

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 436 of 1,586
For what it's worth, I have an Android a95x box and it won't let me use the app because it is connected via an HDMI cable. It doesn't have a screen, but the HDMI connection is detected as a second screen.

Holding out hope on the Roku app. I have a few htpcs, but it'd be so nice to not need a mouse and keyboard for family and power reasons.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 437 of 1,586
I am logged into my Comcast email. I am having trouble locating it. I searched Xfinity and Comcast both. Any help?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 438 of 1,586
Nevermind, the rest of the posts were not showing up until I posted. I see it's not open beta.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 439 of 1,586

G_e_o_f_f wrote:

I'm new to ROKU,  but have been with Comcast for more $1000's than I care to think about.

Untill there is a public Xfinity App for Roku,    would a work around option be to use a Roku Web Browser, and access the Xfinity site directly ?

Geoff

No, this method would not work.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 440 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 441 of 1,586

off-topic, unhelpful, promotes a paid service outside of comcast

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 442 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 443 of 1,586

off-topic, make your own thread about android TV if you like

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 444 of 1,586
Posted by
Visitor

Message 445 of 1,586
The beta is available to those that meet these requirements!
IMG_1226.PNG
Posted by
Contributor

Message 446 of 1,586

Can you confirm if you see the app in the Roku Channel store?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 447 of 1,586

mark.bidewell wrote:

Can you confirm if you see the app in the Roku Channel store?

Just looked, and I didn't see it.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 448 of 1,586

I'm not seeing it either. If it's a private channel we'd need the invite code.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 449 of 1,586

The Roku app is not yet available for customer beta. Sorry the agent provided you incorrect information. We will scream it from the rooftops when it goes out (starting right here in this forum with our most passionate customers!).  Appreciate your continued patience. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 450 of 1,586