Service Expert

Message 352 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 353 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 354 of 1,586

I see Comcast is at it again with deleting posts.

Could someone at Comcast give us an update on status of this app and why it would be any harder to come out with than app out that allowes you to watch Tv on phone or tablet.

It seems to me that it would be the same concept.  If I am wromng please explain.

Hopefully this posts will not be deleted as it is on topic and not inflamatory.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 355 of 1,586

An app to watch TV on Roku requires all new code. Roku doesn't run Android or iOS, so there is no code to re-use from their already developed apps. Also, the interface is all new with the available buttons on a Roku versus a touch interface on a cell phone or tablet. However, I don't think that is what is holding the Roku app back. There are obviously still too many people willing to continue paying for cable and equipment rental to make the Roku app a priority. I predict that we won't see a Roku app until enough folks jump ship for a streaming alternative.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 356 of 1,586
Agreed...At this point, I'd consider this dead in the water. Back in April they figured they had to make a move so they showed it off on a Shield TV with a freshly compiled version of their Xfinity TV apk, that only they have access to. I mean we wouldn't want Comcast releasing that Android app to everyone. Instead we get to use the app that starts barking when you try to cast or sees an HDMI source, or an Ethernet connection. Now that they realize no one is pushing them anymore, they've dropped the project (if there was ever one to begin with). I really don't see this happening any time soon if ever. If they truly wanted to make this available to consumers, they would just release the Android app they used to show this off in the first place. They don't need a Roku to make this happen.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 357 of 1,586
Sorry that the app is taking so long but it should be out shortly. The app is not dead and has been completed and is waiting for its final release. The next release date will be given to us from legal and marketing.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 358 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 359 of 1,586

squeakywheel wrote:
Why is it when I state the next and only announcement will come from marketing it gets deleted for being off topic, but the comcast employees just state the exact same thing?

More importantly from another deleted post the customers wouldn't "flame" as much if we were just given any type of update for better or worse from someone who actually understand the issues. Being given the silent treatment will only cause more resentment. The issue is we were told we would have our ComKu app in 2016. Sadly with 3 days left there is no such luck. An official update would satisify most impatient customers. Deleting and ignoringng people's frustrations will only cause them to be more frustrated.

P.S. this posts follows the guidelines, is not flaming and is on topic. Let the customers vent a little bit and be happy once the app is awoken.

Posters are allowed to vent as long as it is within the Guidelines.  A lot of posts have been removed because of language, flaming, baiting, and other forum violations.  This thread has been updated with the most current information.  Until there is something different to be passed along, hounding the forums isn't going to get the app released any sooner.  Sometimes, even with the best intentions, things happen and there are delays.  Sure, we'd all like a "hey, we're delaying this indefinitely or until such-and-such date", but that rarely happens.  Official Employees aren't going to pop in and post several times a day when they have nothing further to share.  ComcastRick, who is an Official Employee, has given you all the information he has.  We understand everyone's frustration, but we haven't any more information to share at this point.  No one is giving the forum or the thread the "silent treatment", and saying any differently is basically baiting more people to respond negatively and in a manner that isn't adhering to the Guidelines, and consequently posts will be deleted.  There is no conspiracy here, but know that as soon as the app is available it WILL be announced.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 360 of 1,586
One question: When the app does get officially released, will we learn it here first, or will we have to wait for the press release to make its rounds in the media to find out? Or, to rephrase, if it comes out on Friday but it doesn't hit the media until Saturday or Sunday, will we know about it on Friday?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 361 of 1,586
If one of the Comcast employees does not make a post about the official release I'm sure one of our members will. I myself checked every day in hopes that the app will be released before marketing makes a official post.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 362 of 1,586
When is roku going to begin sorting xfinity tv app?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 363 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 364 of 1,586
Someone over in the Roku forum just posted an email that Roku sent to developers with the end of year schedule.

Roku does not do certification, push out updates or push out new channels from Dec 16 to Jan 9.

So since Xfinity couldn't get the app done by Dec 16, there is no way it will come out before Jan 9
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 365 of 1,586

AllYouCanDrink wrote:
Someone over in the Roku forum just posted an email that Roku sent to developers with the end of year schedule.

Roku does not do certification, push out updates or push out new channels from Dec 16 to Jan 9.

So since Xfinity couldn't get the app done by Dec 16, there is no way it will come out before Jan 9

That would explain why there haven't been any new apps added to the New section for a while.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 366 of 1,586

workerdummy wrote:

AllYouCanDrink wrote:

That would explain why there haven't been any new apps added to the New section for a while.

That was exactly why it came up,  the thread was asking why no new channels or updates were coming out

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 367 of 1,586

There is a post on the Roku blog that talks about no new channels between Dec 15th and Jan 9th.

Scroll down to the "Channel Store Blackout Notice"

https://blog.roku.com/developer/page/2/

Hopefully after Jan 9th, we will see something Smiley Happy

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 368 of 1,586
I found a much better alternative for my needs. I bought a Microsoft wireless display connector. I can now stream xfinity tv to my television from my laptop even when not in my home network. Not being able to use xfinity with my roku when not in my home network was the deal breaker for me as I travel a lot. I really can't see the benefit of being restricted to your home network only.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 369 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 370 of 1,586

Pvolpe wrote:
I found a much better alternative for my needs. I bought a Microsoft wireless display connector. I can now stream xfinity tv to my television from my laptop even when not in my home network. Not being able to use xfinity with my roku when not in my home network was the deal breaker for me as I travel a lot. I really can't see the benefit of being restricted to your home network only.

My laptop has an HDMI port and I plug it into any TV that has an open HDMI port.  I don't need to use wireless that way.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 371 of 1,586

telc wrote:

There is a post on the Roku blog that talks about no new channels between Dec 15th and Jan 9th.

Scroll down to the "Channel Store Blackout Notice"

https://blog.roku.com/developer/page/2/

Hopefully after Jan 9th, we will see something Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info, and the link. Smiley Happy

Posted by
Visitor

Message 372 of 1,586
You will only be able to watch the "to go" options outside of your home network.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 373 of 1,586
Apparently on an earlier post it was stated that there would be no to go option and that the app would only work in your home network. I hope they are wrong but this came from Comcast Rick
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 374 of 1,586

Well its official Comcast has lied and mislead us all.All that was needed on Comcasts behalf was an official announcement as to what is going on with the app.As  Customers we shouldnt of had to search down information on the app,they had no problem with the Press release back in April announcing the app.I know the latest is possibly after January 9th,but who knows.Lets all hope for the best..Happy New Year..

Posted by
Visitor

Message 375 of 1,586

I'm genuinely amused at the intensity of aggravation from users waiting for the app.  I'll admit that I'm anxiously awaiting its debut, but I'm also the owner of two software companies, both of which have mobile apps.  

Because of that...PEOPLE...these things are NOT easy to build, especially when you add in streaming content, quality of service, data speed resampling when you're moving around through networks or your bandwidth adjusts based on volume on other devices, etc. There's a LOT to get done and validate that they were done correctly, and getting an app like this working within even 12 months would be extremely impressive.  This isn't a simple little Twitter app that gets a text message and a random picture.  Be realistic about what you're expecting. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 376 of 1,586

scampcat wrote:

I'm genuinely amused at the intensity of aggravation from users waiting for the app.  I'll admit that I'm anxiously awaiting its debut, but I'm also the owner of two software companies, both of which have mobile apps.  

Because of that...PEOPLE...these things are NOT easy to build, especially when you add in streaming content, quality of service, data speed resampling when you're moving around through networks, etc. There's a LOT to get done, and getting an app like this working within even 12 months would be extremely impressive.  This isn't a simple little Twitter app that gets a text message and a random picture.  Be realistic about what you're expecting. 

Well, as a software engineer, I'd simply point you to the hundreds (thousands?) of channels currently on ROKU. This is not rocket science. ROKU has an extremely extensive documentation and developmental framework in place to get the job done. Apparently many other companies have been able to accomplish the task, repetitively. If it truly is a software "problem", then I'd say that it reflects poorly on COMCAST.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 377 of 1,586

I'm ready to leave Comcast cable and move to other options. Today they are many streaming TV companies competing for our bussiness. I refuse to pay for extra receivers when I can get a streaming service for a flat fee that allows streaming up to 5 devices but Xfinity refuses to get us an app on Roku or Fire TV because they want our extra $$ when we rent extra receivers. Even the app on Adroid and IOS is pattetic when they block any video output to a TV/monitor. Why Comcast Why?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 378 of 1,586

plummerl wrote:

scampcat wrote:

Because of that...PEOPLE...these things are NOT easy to build, especially when you add in streaming content, quality of service, data speed resampling when you're moving around through networks, etc. There's a LOT to get done, and getting an app like this working within even 12 months would be extremely impressive.  This isn't a simple little Twitter app that gets a text message and a random picture.  Be realistic about what you're expecting. 

Well, as a software engineer, I'd simply point you to the hundreds (thousands?) of channels currently on ROKU. This is not rocket science. ROKU has an extremely extensive documentation and developmental framework in place to get the job done. Apparently many other companies have been able to accomplish the task, repetitively. If it truly is a software "problem", then I'd say that it reflects poorly on COMCAST.

The majority of those "hundreds (thousands?) of channels" are just pulling files from a server, not emulating an advanced cable box.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 379 of 1,586
The app for Roku was originally promised a 2016 release. Now that Comcast has officially missed the mark again, any news on a real release date?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 380 of 1,586

RokuFan2017 wrote:
The app for Roku was originally promised a 2016 release. Now that Comcast has officially missed the mark again, any news on a real release date?

No and Forgetaboutit

Posted by
Visitor
Message 381 of 1,586
I'm sorry but all we are expecting is what comcast told us they would do. If they were unable to do this then they shouldn't have given a date. You as the owner of two companies should understand better than most you don't want to promise the customers something and not be able to come through with that promise. At the very least comcast should come out and give a reason for the delay. I would hope you as a business owner would understand this. Don't tell the customer something if you can't do it.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 382 of 1,586

Sure I am aggravated,but its not the end of the world.However Comcast should have never made a promise of having it out by the end of the year.This was all Comcasts doing,all the backlash they brought on themselves.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 383 of 1,586

Is there an update on when the xfinity app will be available on Roku

Posted by
Visitor

Message 384 of 1,586

@Comcast Andrew - Do you have an update on the release of the xfinity app for Roku?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 385 of 1,586
I'm sorry we have not been given any updates but if you read above you might find some more info. Someone found some info on the Roku forums, but still no date. Sorry.

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 386 of 1,586

Hasslehoff wrote:

@Comcast Andrew - Do you have an update on the release of the xfinity app for Roku?

No, sorry there isn't any additional information. Trust me, once there is, it will make the social media and regular media rounds. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 387 of 1,586
Is there a beta program I could sign up for go test the Xfinity app? I am a Roku beta tester as well. Thanks!
~ AVarnell
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 388 of 1,586

scampcat wrote:

Because of that...PEOPLE...these things are NOT easy to build, especially when you add in streaming content, quality of service, data speed resampling when you're moving around through networks or your bandwidth adjusts based on volume on other devices, etc. There's a LOT to get done and validate that they were done correctly, and getting an app like this working within even 12 months would be extremely impressive.  This isn't a simple little Twitter app that gets a text message and a random picture.  Be realistic about what you're expecting. 

It's worth mentioning here that Comcast set this time table.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 389 of 1,586
If it is so difficult why have most, if not all of Comcast/Xfinity's major competitors, introduced functioning Roku apps?
Posted by
Visitor
Message 390 of 1,586
Sorry Rick - sending your customers to Roku for some answers is not world class customer service
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 391 of 1,586
It has nothing to do with our app release date, It just gives info that's roku is not releasing any new apps until after the 9th. I do not want our customers to think our app will be released on the 9th. That is why I said to read the above post from other members.

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 392 of 1,586

Mrr1 wrote:
If it is so difficult why have most, if not all of Comcast/Xfinity's major competitors, introduced functioning Roku apps?

I'm not weighing in on the difficulty of the app, but what competitors of Comcast/Xfinity have Roku apps instead of charging for extra boxes? Sure, the purely online streaming vendors may but the actual TV vendors I researched (FiOS, DirecTV, and DISH) do not. Just curious as, from my perspective, Comcast seems to be leading the pack in trying to adopt to the new paradigm. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 393 of 1,586
Posted by
Contributor

Message 394 of 1,586

mikec171 wrote:

Mrr1 wrote:

I'm not weighing in on the difficulty of the app, but what competitors of Comcast/Xfinity have Roku apps instead of charging for extra boxes? Sure, the purely online streaming vendors may but the actual TV vendors I researched (FiOS, DirecTV, and DISH) do not. Just curious as, from my perspective, Comcast seems to be leading the pack in trying to adopt to the new paradigm. 

So, just what exactly is the Web app, Xfinity TV? It would appear to be the very same presentation that will (someday maybe) be destined for the ROKU, with the major difference being on a piece of hardware that will HDMI it to the TV. Same comment applies to the mobile app. Give me a break!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 395 of 1,586
In reply to mikec171,

Time Warner Cable has the TWC Roku channel for their service and Charter has the Spectrum TV Roku channel for theirs. CenturyLink also has the Prism TV channel for Roku.

Xfinity is nowhere close to breaking new ground in this area
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 396 of 1,586

AllYouCanDrink wrote:
In reply to mikec171,

Time Warner Cable has the TWC Roku channel for their service and Charter has the Spectrum TV Roku channel for theirs. CenturyLink also has the Prism TV channel for Roku.

Time Warner, Charter and CenturyLink don't have the X1 box with all it can and will do, which the Roku app will emulate. That's the new ground it's breaking.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 397 of 1,586

Time Warner, Charter and CenturyLink don't have the X1 box with all it can and will do, which the Roku app will emulate. That's the new ground it's breaking.

As great as the X1 is, and it's pretty great, the net effect is that Comcast doubled down on proprietary hardware and all the fees that go with it when they could have just been leaning into all of the streaming hardware that was already on the market.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 398 of 1,586

AllYouCanDrink wrote:
In reply to mikec171,

Thanks AUCD. That's good information that I wasn't aware of as those weren't options for me. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 399 of 1,586

workerdummy wrote:

AllYouCanDrink wrote:
In reply to mikec171,

That's not what he said. What he said was that other traditional TV providers also don't have Roku apps, that the only ones who do are the ones who are only online streamers. Quoted "Sure, the purely online streaming vendors may but the actual TV vendors do not" 

The X1 never factors into that....

and I wouldn't count on the Roku app being very X1 like

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 400 of 1,586

mikec171 wrote:

AllYouCanDrink wrote:
In reply to mikec171,

Thanks AUCD. That's good information that I wasn't aware of as those weren't options for me. 

No problem at all.

The TWC app is supposed to be pretty incredible, btw.