Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 301 of 1,586

Yes, I would like to know how to be included in the beta as well. I'm a brand new customer that was pushed over due to the Roku promise. A little discouraged after reading these forum threads but still hopeful. I certainly haven't been waiting as long as most of you folks. 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 302 of 1,586

paid my bill today and talked to the xfinity rep about roku and she informed me the roku app was now availble but is in the testing phases but I can not find the app on roku. Is what she said true and if so what is the actual name of app

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 303 of 1,586

I asked on Facebook, got this message:

"to ensure the best customer experience, the Roku App launch has been delayed. On Monday, December 19, customers will be able to access the beta app from the XFINITY Channel in the Roku Channel Store. Curtis"

Of course, there  is nothing in the store.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 304 of 1,586

It's pretty bad when they give a canned response which isn't correct. There is no accessible beta/xfinity channel. - And it's 10pm PST 12/19. Another letdown, and or, complete fabrication. 

Xfinity, what the heck?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 305 of 1,586
Shocking another missed date and no word from comcast. If anyone has lost hope or we find that the app is not compatible with your current roku there is a $25 work around. Just buy a $15 HDMI splitter, 25-50 ft HDMI cable for $10. Then download the xfinity remote controller app and magic you can watch the channels you pay for in another room without being forced to pay the box rental fee. Not the best solution but will work for people who dont need 2 different channels at the same time.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 306 of 1,586

I really hope people are not being sold Xfinity packages on the premise of this non existent roku app. I think that would be classed as fraudulent selling with severe penalties for Comcast.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 307 of 1,586

I think Comcast need to realize they need to step into the Future. There is no need for people to have holes drilled into walls and dust gathering big clunky cable boxes in each room taking up space. Would you still use a 1980's cell phone that is the size of a brick, or a small nifty iPhone?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 308 of 1,586
Claire-Ann wrote:

I really hope people are not being sold Xfinity packages on the premise of this non existent roku app. I think that would be classed as fraudulent selling with severe penalties for Comcast.

Claire-Ann,

To clarify my post, I read the articles and news releases and made my own decision; albeit based on the pending Roku app. I would not classify my situation as being sold the service dependent on the App. In fact, all reps I talked to were unable to give me any release timeline -- same as you guys have been hearing. I was, however, expecting it by the end of this year. It sounds like from messages announcing the 19th that it is very close so I'm still crossing my fingers. 

I'll also point out that none of the other competing (legacy type) TV services that I looked at (DirecTV, Dish, FiOS) offer a capability like this; they all require additional boxes and associated fees. 

Mike

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 309 of 1,586

I have a few rooms that don't get high usage but would like to have all the channels on the TV.

Things to consider:  the channels may change from one to the next much slower, you may not be able to start recording using the roku app, picture quality might not be as good, and the remote might not have a number pad to quickly type in channel numbers.

I'm willing to give up features to gain the ability of having all the channels stream to the TV, still be able to play back recording's and to save either 4.99 a month for the adapter box or $9.95 for the full-size box. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 310 of 1,586

DTA's are now $5.99/month.

I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast puts limits on how many streams you are allowed, or may even start charging a monthly fee per device connected, most likely similar to the DTA fee. I doubt they will give up that guaranteed rental money all that easily.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 311 of 1,586

Claire-Ann wrote:

I think Comcast need to realize they need to step into the Future. There is no need for people to have holes drilled into walls and dust gathering big clunky cable boxes in each room taking up space. Would you still use a 1980's cell phone that is the size of a brick, or a small nifty iPhone?

I know wireless is the rave largely because it's more convenient, but one of the downfalls with wireless is: The RF doesn't stop at the outside wall or even the fence -- it goes over into the neighbors yards/houses as well.  In my single family house, I see 5 or 6 routers in addition to my own.  Say half of the houses have smart TVs and their AVR uses WiFi, they have a bluray disc player, a laptop, 2 tablets, and 3 smartphones. That's 48 devices in addition to my own.  Ninety percent of people don't change the router's channel, so that's 50+ devices vying for a piece of the same channel.  Add in a couple of Rokus (or other streaming device) at each of those 6 homes, and we're looking at 60+ devices all trying to talk over one another.

Not a brick, and I hate iPhones. Smiley Wink

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 312 of 1,586
Posted by
Contributor

Message 313 of 1,586

As a consumer why would you or anybody else just rely on one source. The corporate Comcast website hasn't been updated since 4/20, the Roku website announcing the app hasn't been updated since 4/20. At least 2 employees havent stated a date yet. It's easy to point fingers but for every finger you point, you have three more pointing at you. When it's released the news will have it everywhere.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 314 of 1,586

Wolverine062 wrote:

As a consumer why would you or anybody else just rely on one source. The corporate Comcast website hasn't been updated since 4/20, the Roku website announcing the app hasn't been updated since 4/20. At least 2 employees havent stated a date yet. It's easy to point fingers but for every finger you point, you have three more pointing at you. When it's released the news will have it everywhere.

Add to that, speaking for myself, I'd rather they delay releasing the app and do the major bug fixes rather than release it and leave me cussing it every time I tried to use it and something didn't work right. Besides, I won't be sending back my satellite boxes right away anyway. I plan at least a month worth of testing of my own before I rely on the app 100%, that's if it even works on the Roku models I have.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 315 of 1,586

I'll be scrutinizing the DVR functionality of the app closely before I return my box.  I mean, when I press "pause," I want it to pause, not make me wait a couple of minutes before pausing.  If I'm rewinding and press play, I want it to stop rewinding and resume playback, not continue rewinding for another minute or two before playback begins.

Right now, the commands go from my remote to the DVR, and that's it.  Utilizing the app, the commands go from the remote to the Roku box, through my home network, cable modem, several miles of HFC plant, and the processing equipment in the headend before it gets to the cloud DVR.  How much time does that take?  Who know, it may actually be more efficient than my ARRIS DVR.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 316 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 317 of 1,586

Here's an edited re-post so that certain people can sleep at night:

My problem is that I listened to the rep on the phone. Two months ago he spoke of the ComKu app as if it was already in use and had been for some time. I'm kind of a serious nerd/geek/techie/etc., so I felt rather stupid for having missed this for so long. I changed my service at Comcast and ordered a new Roku. Imagine my surprise! Now I feel rather stupid for a different reason.

Yes, technology takes longer than expected to roll out. Yes, it will be plagued with bugs and require frequent updates, especially in the first few months.

What is hard for me to understand is the miscommunication within Comcast. I don't think the rep was an evil troll. He believed what he was saying. What's kind of astonishing is that he's reading off a list of "solutions" in order to "help" customers, but the solutions are non-existant.

I'm not impatient with technology and I accept that it will take longer than I wish to get what I want.

I am impatient with the misdirection and false information that seems to be an inherent feature of Comcast's corporate bloat. It's a monopoly, [EDIT: for crying out loud]. Communicating with customers will not threaten the bottom line.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 8.48.40 AM.png

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 318 of 1,586

Just to throw it out there, yesterday was the last day of Fall, which was one of the original estimated release times. There's only ten days left in the year.

Comcast, I'll ask very clearly, and hopefully one of you can answer. There has not been another update, can we still expect to see this app, even if it's in a public beta format, by the end of the year?

By the way, I'm in the boat of "I was told this already existed so I bought it." I spoke to a Comcast rep in a retail store who was specifically standing by the Roku display telling people that you could use Roku as a box for secondary TV's. He referenced the announcement article and said that the service was already available. The Roku Streaming Stick was on-sale, and I already had a passing interest in getting one, so I bought it. It's a great device, and I'm happy that I own it, but I would not have purchased it without being told false information. Now I'm using it to get the few live streams that are available to Xfinity customers, but am mostly using it with my father-in-law's Charter account since so many channels don't accept Xfinity as a valid provider.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 319 of 1,586
We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused everyone. The previous dates that we had were leaked from corporate but nothing was set in stone by marketing or legal. I was told that an announcement will be made very soon on the release date. Im sure the only reason Comcast would withhold this app from being released would be issues found in the app. Please stay patient and keep a eye out for the updated release date.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 320 of 1,586

Thanks Rick

Your update is much appreciated and I know it's not your fault but how many times can we hear " very soon" there will be an announcement. It's at the point now where that is meaningless. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 321 of 1,586

It'll probably come out 1 week after the Xi6 box comes out.  The Xi5 box came out in time for the Olympics (although nobody has one, nor does anybody know anybody who has one.  The official press release said they would be out in time for the Olympics, so I know they're out there), so that means the Xi6 is next.  Seeing as how they were both announced before the app was announced, it would only be fair to get the Xi6 out before the app.

And they probably don't want another huge debacle like they had with the Olympics in 4K, so they're being extra careful.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 322 of 1,586
So in April you said it would be out by fall, then by the end of the year, now you're saying you don't even have the partnership worked out, stop lying to us, is this app ever coming out and when?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 323 of 1,586
I'm sorry I don't understand what your saying. The app is made and getting ready to be released. Sounds like the engineers ran into a few problems. But the app should still be released very soon. We understand your frustration and thank you for being so patient.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 324 of 1,586

Thanks for the good-faith communication, Rick. We look forward to the software's release.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 325 of 1,586

Basically, this is why Comcast does not normally say 'when' a feature will be available, but only says it is in progress and watch for official announcements.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 326 of 1,586

True, but in their announcement it says "Comcast is one of the most popular pay TV operators in the U.S. and since many Roku customers are also Xfinity subscribers we believe the new Xfinity channel will be very popular when it launches this fall."

Comcast then has a responsibility to either launch by the end of fall (yesterday) or provide an update as to when to expect the app. Saying "Marketing or legal will make an announcement soon." is not acceptable as a response. There was an official announcement made, a date range given (Fall, Sept. 22nd - Dec 20th), and now they need to officially amend that post or provide further updates.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 327 of 1,586

ComcastCares responded to my tweet:

"@thunder2132 We are releasing it soon, but I don't have a date for you at this time. Stay tuned. -Joe"

Same story there :-(

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 328 of 1,586

Why only 2016 Samsung smart tvs

I bought a samsung smart tv in July How do I find out if My tv is a 2016.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 329 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
I'm sorry I don't understand what your saying. The app is made and getting ready to be released. Sounds like the engineers ran into a few problems. But the app should still be released very soon. We understand your frustration and thank you for being so patient.

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-and-roku-bring-xfinity-tv-partner-ap...

"Comcast today announced a partnership with Roku Inc. that will continue to expand the range of retail devices Comcast’s customers can use to access their Xfinity TV service. Later this year, Xfinity TV customers will be able to enjoy their cable subscription in the home via the new Xfinity TV Partner app designed specifically for Roku® TV™s and Roku streaming players."

9 days left...

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 330 of 1,586

Pharrell wrote:

Why only 2016 Samsung smart tvs

I bought a samsung smart tv in July How do I find out if My tv is a 2016.

The date might be on a tag on the back of the tv, or you can do a search for "samsung smart tv model #XXXXX" and see what comes up.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 331 of 1,586
Posted by
Visitor

Message 332 of 1,586
Just saw a post from ComcastCares on Twitter saying to expect the app "in the new year". What a joke, now the release window has expanded to all of 2017. Between this and data caps, I'm 100% done with Comcast at the end of my contract this spring.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 333 of 1,586
Really!?

Well that's a huge disappointment if true. I've stayed out of the conversation as technically Comcast hasn't broken their 2016 promise yet, but if it indeed is held until 2017, I will NOT be happy.

Personally, I've purchased/upgraded 5 Roku devices in anticipation of moving on from TiVo and recouping some of that cost. I've centered all of my entertainment purchases around the mid-late 2016 release as disclosed. As time goes on, the TiVo resale value slowly dips and my parents, who's home is now decked with Roku and prepared for the app, are still hearing "the app is coming soon" from me.

I'll be perfecty content if 2016 still happens, but if it does go in to 2017, the app dev team, marketing teams, and even reps should be embarrassed.

I can't fathom how Comcast can roll out 'Comcast Cares' and 'Think Customer First' lines when they seem to repearesly ignore the customer. Any company less massive in scale would be in major financial trouble if they followed the same repeated practices as Comcast.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 334 of 1,586
Like many others upon the announcement I too invested in multiple Roku devices, returned my extra dta devices, and patiently awaited the release of the app. Considering it now appears the app isn't going to be released on time, and I can't count the number of lies Comcast has already given me on both of my hands, I became impatient and ended up finding another solution for all my Roku devices. I cancelled services and ordered cheap Internet from another local provider + PlayStation vue. I will only save 40$ for the first month due to early termination fees, but after that I'll be saving roughly 100$ a month and actually enjoying my viewing experience by knowing that I'm saving so much rather than feeling obligated to watch tv due to extremely high xfinity bills. I've already done the same for my father and my friend is also awaiting installation of his new internet before cancelling himself. That's 3 customers gone. I'm sure I'm not alone, and I wasn't the only one tired of paying nearly 200$ a month for decent services, so yea, times are changing and it looks like you guys are simply falling behind. As a 5 year customer I highly recommend this new method to anyone who only needs basic cable (no not the useless channels) and Internet.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 335 of 1,586

Politically-Themed Post Removed per Forum Guidelines.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 336 of 1,586
My contract is up in April. If the Roku app is out by then I'll try to renegotiate our contract and stay on. If not, I'll absolutely be switching to the local fiber provider and a streaming service.
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 337 of 1,586
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 338 of 1,586
Posted by
Contributor

Message 339 of 1,586

dcthemvp wrote:
Like many others upon the announcement I too invested in multiple Roku devices, returned my extra dta devices, and patiently awaited the release of the app. Considering it now appears the app isn't going to be released on time, and I can't count the number of lies Comcast has already given me on both of my hands, I became impatient and ended up finding another solution for all my Roku devices. I cancelled services and ordered cheap Internet from another local provider + PlayStation vue. I will only save 40$ for the first month due to early termination fees, but after that I'll be saving roughly 100$ a month and actually enjoying my viewing experience by knowing that I'm saving so much rather than feeling obligated to watch tv due to extremely high xfinity bills. I've already done the same for my father and my friend is also awaiting installation of his new internet before cancelling himself. That's 3 customers gone. I'm sure I'm not alone, and I wasn't the only one tired of paying nearly 200$ a month for decent services, so yea, times are changing and it looks like you guys are simply falling behind. As a 5 year customer I highly recommend this new method to anyone who only needs basic cable (no not the useless channels) and Internet.

That's your own fault for investing in something that wasn't released yet, and you made the purchase going in that in a perfect world, the app was months away from being released. 

How many have you complained to Roku (easy guess, none) about the late release? It IS a partnership, how do any of you know that Roku isn't dragging their feet? 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 340 of 1,586
Why on earth would roku drag it's feet? Can you imagine how many roku's would be sold for people to use the xfinity app
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 341 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 342 of 1,586
See plenty of messages being deleted again. Wonder why anyone would be frustrated about getting the silent treatment from Comcast. Why on earth would roku drag their feet on this? That had to be a troll question. The fact is sure people like me are upset it seems that comcast either 1. flat out lied about the release date or 2. greatly underestimated the task at hand. Or 3. Are dragging their feet as long as possible to collect every penny they can from rental fees. Most likely a cobination of all 3. Let give the customers a great gift for the holidays. Or at the bare mimum an update on the issues.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 343 of 1,586

Wolverine062 wrote:
That's your own fault for investing in something that wasn't released yet, and you made the purchase going in that in a perfect world, the app was months away from being released. 

How many have you complained to Roku (easy guess, none) about the late release? It IS a partnership, how do any of you know that Roku isn't dragging their feet? 

The App is not Roku's responsibility. It is Comcast's responsibility to code the App and since it will be a public channel Roku just has to approve it.  Do you have any reason to believe that Comcast has submitted their App for Roku approval yet?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 344 of 1,586

Nobody at CC has a clue what is going on

Hi Jack, I am following up with you. The app was released only in select markets. It may not be available to everyone at this time. This may explain why you are not seeing it on your end. - Mike

Can you tell me WHAT markets it is currently in and how long before it goes to the rest of us? Comcast promised this app 8 months ago and said we'd have it by year's end. It's now less than a week from the new year.
I apologize for the confusion surrounding the app, Jack. The Xfinity TV app for Roku is still in development and will be available in the new year.​ -JoeK
Oh, so Comcast LIED when they said it would be out by the end of the year then huh?
So is it even out in certain markets? Because it seems that's a lie too, as you just said it isn't out anyway.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 345 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 346 of 1,586
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 347 of 1,586
I work away from home and was really looking forward to having the ability to view some of my Xfinity channels via the Roku stick on an actual tv instead of having to view via my laptop. Just reading that this app will allow "in home viewing only" is absolutely pathetic and quite frankly a pointless release. I have read that people could abuse it by sharing login credentials but I don't buy that excuse at all; how is this any different to viewing on a laptop through the Xfinity TV website or via the iPhone app? I really hope they re think this stance or I may have to switch carriers so I have the ability to view when I travel.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 348 of 1,586
Posted by
Visitor

Message 349 of 1,586
Been watching for this app since they announced it. Would be awesome to have since I have a tv in a room upstairs that isn't wired for cable. I'm thinking it's not ever coming out since Comcast doesn't want to lose their rental revenue.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 350 of 1,586

I want to know if this app ever comes out ,will it be a better picture since its suppossedly streaming as oppossed to coming thru thier cable lines which has a degraded picture compared to streaming.Ive streamed playstation vue and Sling and the picture on all channels is excellent compared to any of Comcasts channels.