Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 251 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
I will check on mine as I write this. But if Comcast was to allow people to use this app outside the home then customers would share this app with non-paying customers. And if you were outside your home you would be using a phone or tablet to watch TV not a Roku box.
And I'm still new to my Roku box so how do I look for the app? I go into streaming channels and try typing in the name and I see nothing like the photos above.
I just got done looking and I still see nothing, sorry.

I went to streaming channels...scrolled down to apps..click on that..you should see a search option on the left hand side. type in xfinity.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 252 of 1,586

Not on mine either, I have a streaming stick but shouldn't make any difference. 4-12 EST and no app, losing hope for today.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 253 of 1,586

Maybe we should just keep an eye on the Roku blog. They posted about the Time Warner app when it was released almost 4 years ago (https://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/03/05/twc-tv-launches-on-roku/). It would surely be newsworthy when comcast finally released a similar app that allowed customers to access ther subscription without renting a cable box.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 254 of 1,586

Actually, I wouldnt be solely on my tablet or phone  or laptop. And I once again reiterate, that is what you have login credentials for. How many people are really sharing it with everyone they know? And here's the solution, you limit out of network use to a certain number of devices. It's that simple. The fact that Comcast isn't even entertaining it as an option is completely ridiculous. Really, how much are you losing out on when someone shares credentials with a family member anyway? You're already charging, quite frankly, a small fortune for your services, but I can't take a Roku stick with me while I'm at a work apartment all week and watch the Comcast I already pay dearly for? I have to use my laptop instead, or even better, take a second computer with me? Stream from a tablet? They all seem redundant to me. If I can play it on my computer and tablet then why not just have me log into the Roku app and use that out of my home network as well? I have waited more than 7 months for you to get this done and you've completely buggered the whole deal. Consider yourself canceled.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 255 of 1,586
I completely feel your frustration. Hang in there a bit longer and let's see what the app can actually do.
As for giving updates, I apologize I can no longer give any more information. I was told this information will be released by the marketing teams when they have actual dates.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 256 of 1,586
Hi ComcastRick. First, I believe I speak for this thread's community when I say

"Thanks for the info, to date" 😎👍

While we understand your reasons to withhold any further product release date info, allowing so hint me about the release date seems odd. Given the release should occur within several weeks, the need to withhold such info could be interpreted as a disingenuous statement, at the least.

While I am NOT implying anything with the previous statement about you OR Comcast, potential customers should be given at least a week date window for release so that those potential customers may ***seriously*** consider XFINITY over directvnow.

As a seasoned Comcast customer, the choice between the two broadcasters seems very close, now, even though directvnow offically will be released sometime Q1 of 2017. From April of this year until today, is a very long time especially when there are MANY private Roku channels which enjoy a large & growing viewership.

Customers are rapidly finding the private channels are, like it or not, much of the same content found on ALL broadcasters channel lineup for free or reduced cost.

It's not rocket science to find the numbers to verify these claims.

As a Comcast employee, I (we) feel someone from marketing should step into this thread's community & post a more precise release date to lend legitimacy to what can be expected from the new XFINITY Roku app.

Once again, I (we) appreciate your posts!!!

Happy holidays
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 257 of 1,586
Posted by
Visitor

Message 258 of 1,586

Its funny how this APP has taken so long to be released. I side loaded the Xfinity TV app to my Amazon Fire Stick months ago when I first got it because I got tired of waiting for this.

Dont be fooled. Development of this APP was probably started in october.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 259 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:

Yes it is very frustrating and I just replied and another post about the same issue. I will try to ask my leadership why Comcast has locked down viewing channels through smart devices. It may be because Comcast wants to build a partnership with certain companies. I know of only four that are allowed to have the Xfinity TV app and they are Xbox, Nvidia shield and the roku box. I did try sideloading the TV app on the Nvidia shield a few months ago and it worked great. As for the Roku box, obviously we are still waiting for that app

The latest version of the Xfinity TV App does not work on the Nvidia Shield. You have to go back to version 3.2.1.028  (2016-03-18) to find one that works. Every version after that immediately force closes when you try to run it on the Nvidia Shield. Will we ever see an official working Xfinity TV app for Android TV? Also any news on how much longer it is going to be before an Xfinity TV app is released for Roku?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 260 of 1,586
Thank you for sharing the information about the Nvidia shield. I have not played with the Nvidia shield for over a year now and at that time it was working. As soon as we have more information about it we will share it in the proper post.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 261 of 1,586

I just spoke with someone regarding a billing error and I asked about the app on the off chance that they would have some info.  The rep read to me from some type of announcement that the app will be available on the Roku Channel page on 12/15.  Rogue One and TV App on the same day!!!

Posted by
Admin1

Message 262 of 1,586
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 263 of 1,586

you should have gotten the reps name otherwise your post is just speculation and giving false hope.I hope its true but just like in a court of law 2nd hand information is useless and never allowed..When we see an official annoucement directly from Comcast or the app auctually up and working all other information is worthless.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 264 of 1,586
@egnlsn:

***MANY*** thanks!!!!

Happy holidays!!!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 265 of 1,586
Why do my posts keep getting deleted? Starting to feel censored. Is it not a fact that a Comcast employee stated ... "I can no longer give any more information. I was told this information will be released by marketing " That plus there are now 17 days until the end of the year... I'm not allowed to put that into a fun little jingle? OK then let me ask an actual question If the app is not available in the next few weeks is there any chance xfinity will allow access to the shows on the Roku that I already pay for like Nick Jr, food network, stars, ect?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 266 of 1,586

squeakywheel wrote:
Why do my posts keep getting deleted? Starting to feel censored. Is it not a fact that a Comcast employee stated ... "I can no longer give any more information. I was told this information will be released by marketing " That plus there are now 17 days until the end of the year... I'm not allowed to put that into a fun little jingle? OK then let me ask an actual question If the app is not available in the next few weeks is there any chance xfinity will allow access to the shows on the Roku that I already pay for like Nick Jr, food network, stars, ect?

Shows cannot be "cherry-picked" until the absolute release of the App.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 267 of 1,586

squeakywheel wrote:

Don't worry, my post was deleted as well with no explaination since I didn't break any of the forum guidelines. All I was asking was for ComcastDan to verify that the Roku app was still on track for release this year since he said just that in this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/Xfinity-TV-on-Roku/m-p/2821313#M3566

Posted by
Visitor

Message 268 of 1,586

andyat1217 wrote:

you should have gotten the reps name otherwise your post is just speculation and giving false hope.I hope its true but just like in a court of law 2nd hand information is useless and never allowed..When we see an official annoucement directly from Comcast or the app auctually up and working all other information is worthless.

I believe her name was Emliy.  I didn't want to name names due to ComcastDan's post about not giving out any info.  We'll see tomorrow if her info holds true.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 269 of 1,586

Saxaroo,I guess youve found out what many of us already have learned,that most of Comcast reps will tell you what you want to hear,without any auctuall proof..This is what I personally dislike about Comcast,they need to moniter what thier reps are putting out there.I never take anything Comcast reps say as legitimate unless they show an official document..Its too bad,for myself if Comcast doesnt make an official annoucement or get app up by December 31 I can and will take my business elsewhere.I am able to do this as I can easily move over county line(only 3 miles away)and subscribe to charter,I was just hoping to have app up here for I can leave my Dad Comcast service without the extra set top box fees.(I temporarily live with father while he was recovering from a stroke)and I invested in 4 rokus ,1 for Dads house and the other 3 go with us to new house in other town.Was hoping to save us money.I will take Dad off Comcast and to another provider if Comcast doesnt at least put out official ETA on this app.I am just so frustrated with this whole ordeal

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 270 of 1,586

Another post in a separate thread from ComcastDan today (12/14) states "The Roku app will be released in 2016".

Posted by
Visitor
Message 271 of 1,586

I will believe it when I see it. I personally think Comcast is dragging their feet intentionally just to milk their customers for equipment fees and make their bottomline look better for 2016.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 272 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 273 of 1,586

While we wait, may I suggest DirecTV Now? I pre-paid for 3 months, which totalled $105. For that, they shipped me the latest Apple TV, which costs something like $150 by itself. I have it and it's working as expected. It's hard to beat $105 for a new Apple TV and three months of a service that's an awful lot like Xfinity. Already, $70 Comcast internet plus $35 DirecTV is better than what I was getting for $165 each month.

I would have preferred to just have Comcast's Xfinity app on Roku because that's what the rep told me two months ago, and that's what led me to buy a Roku unit. Now, at least, I see how I could switch Internet to CenturyLink and continue to use DirecTV. If Comcast+Roku (ComKu?) isn't a bag of pain I'll cancel DirectTV in three months. If ComKu is merely a fresh [heck] to savor, I've already had enough, thank you.

[EDIT] As pointed out in subsequent posts, yes there have been glitches with DirecTV Now. What I mean by working as expected is that I can have as many compatable devices as I want and I don't have to pay an extortion fee to watch (gasp) a second television in a home in 2016! Nor do I need to pay an extortion fee to watch HD in 2016. I think DTV limits me to two consecutive streams, but again, I'm talking about devices in my home and my ability to walk downstairs and turn on the TV without having to fork out $10 each month for each additional screen in my house. That's how DTV becomes a screaming deal for me pretty quickly. With four TVs in a house DTV costs $5 more than the $30 box fees from Comcast. Add HD, and Comcast extracts $40 extra per month to "enable" us to view HD on four screens, and this has nothing to do with your channel package, internet, phone, security, etc. Comcast provides fine channel lineup packages and other services--it's just that the pricing structure that seemed adequate in 1980 is antiquated and unreasonable today.

I've had my mobile phones through ATT for a long time. Now I can stream DTV via ATT without using my phone's data. Then I can use a thunderbolt to HDMI dongle/adapter and get HD DTV on any device, anywere. So I can finally get such services onto the TV on my boat without needing an antenna or dish. People with RVs, etc. can enjoy the same experience. The Xfinity app on my phone won't let me connect to any other screen, even in my house.

Again, I'd rather just have the Comcast app, but it's getting easier and easier to imagine life without them. Gosh, I've been a customer for more than twenty consecutive years. At $100 per month that's $24,000 in twenty years! Probably time to try something else.

If only Comcast would dare to make us a deal we couldn't refuse!

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 274 of 1,586

McLindy wrote:

While we wait, may I suggest DirecTV Now? I pre-paid for 3 months, which totalled $105. For that, they shipped me the latest Apple TV, which costs something like $150 by itself. I have it and it's working as expected. It's hard to beat $105 for a new Apple TV and three months of a service that's an awful lot like Xfinity. Already, $70 Comcast internet plus $35 DirecTV is better than what I was getting for $165 each month.

You must be lucky. Sounds like DirectTV Now has had major outages, inability to air some sports programming, and channels inconsistenly being authorized or not.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 275 of 1,586

PS Vue is 100x better than Directv Now. I signed up with Directv Now a few weeks ago because I was sick of waiting on this Roku app and also got an Apple TV. Huge mistake, minus getting the Apple TV for a little cheaper. I'll come back to Comcast if the app comes through so I don't have to pay for unlimited data, which I also think is ridiculous, but until that point I'm sticking with Vue.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 276 of 1,586

My directnow is working fine, and I got a new apple tv gen 4 for free. I've sinced cancelled all television from directv, and now only have them for internet. 

If they'd only not of dragged their feet on this....

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 277 of 1,586

Looks like no one from Comcast is monitoring the comments and this board.  Typical for them to just completely ignore a customer need and let it fester.  

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 278 of 1,586

codorizzi wrote:

Looks like no one from Comcast is monitoring the comments and this board.  Typical for them to just completely ignore a customer need and let it fester.  

Comments are monitored, but these forums are user-to-user support areas and NOT direct links to Comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 279 of 1,586
Oh they are monitoring them, They are just not allowed to publicly talk about the release anymore. I've have had multiple posts deleted when talking about FCC fees or the count down until the 2016 release lie becomes official. Still a slim hope for 2016 release but ehhh. Let's have a shocking Xmas present from Comcast. ComKu app release in 2016! Gotta have faith.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 280 of 1,586
Technically not. You payed $105 for it because you got the service for 3 months so if you cancel at that point, you got an Apple TV for $105 instead of $150, which most will if their service continues to stink. Anyways, let's not get away from the main topic here. RELEASE THE APP ALREADY!!!
Posted by
Contributor

Message 281 of 1,586

Not that they will do it any faster but I want to see this message board flooded with RELEASE THE APP posts. Let Comcast know we are tired waiting.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 282 of 1,586

Release the Kraken!!! ...and the app, too, please. :-)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 283 of 1,586

Around January of this year Comcast (without warning) altered the transmission of the majority of HD channels in the Tucson area from MPEG2 to MPEG4. Without going in to a long story of what happened in the months that followed, I have been looking forward to using this new app. since the announcement was made in April. Prior to January (2014-2015) my CableCards for my older Sony 1080i Tvs allowed me to receive anything Comcast offered (MPEG2 only). Now I have no choice of viewing all the HD channels unless I use the cable boxes provided. The simplicity I had before of using only one remote control (the TV one), is one of the features I'd like to continue. In this case by using the Comku app., after powering up the TV, I would only need the Roku remote to select cable channels. Please release the app. soon!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 284 of 1,586

Without giving my life story but the fact is I was in an accident a few years back that was no fault of my own. Now I am for the most part bedfast. I have the Comcast box only in my living room and have no hookup in my bedroom. Also the kids watch the TV in the living room. Being on a fixed income I need to watch my budget and can't afford certain things like new wiring and the extra 10 a month for another box. I only have a few fuzzy stations from my antenna and Netflix. I was so excited back in April when I heard about the app. I was given a Roku for my birthday but am still waiting. Like the rest of you I have been trying to be patient since April. Why tell people it will come out in the fall? I guess they can still meet that but the clock is ticking. The thing that worries me is they said the Samsung app would be released this year also but I was told on a different thread that it won't be released till 2017...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 285 of 1,586

Good call on that bud, fall goes until December 21.  I guess we have our release date again! Does anyone want to bet against me? I think it will be ready by then.

Lonniew wrote:

Without giving my life story but the fact is I was in an accident a few years back that was no fault of my own. Now I am for the most part bedfast. I have the Comcast box only in my living room and have no hookup in my bedroom. Also the kids watch the TV in the living room. Being on a fixed income I need to watch my budget and can't afford certain things like new wiring and the extra 10 a month for another box. I only have a few fuzzy stations from my antenna and Netflix. I was so excited back in April when I heard about the app. I was given a Roku for my birthday but am still waiting. Like the rest of you I have been trying to be patient since April. Why tell people it will come out in the fall? I guess they can still meet that but the clock is ticking. The thing that worries me is they said the Samsung app would be released this year also but I was told on a different thread that it won't be released till 2017...

Posted by
Visitor
Message 286 of 1,586
Posted by
Contributor

Message 287 of 1,586

Hi Jessie, do you have any updates for this app?  I have a smaller TV set up with a Roku 1 hoping it will work on it when it's released. I have three cable boxes now; the largest box is the HDDVR in the family room and the two other mini boxes in bedrooms. The tv and Roku are in an area that would be very difficult to run cable. Not to mention adding another box would hike up my bill. I have triple bundle plus Home Secure so I pay a lot now. Thanks 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 288 of 1,586

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [off topic]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 289 of 1,586
Posted by
Contributor

Message 290 of 1,586

Seems a lot of posts have been deleted. I honestly am starting to doubt we will see a Xfinity app for Roku, not just by the end of 2016, but it is looking like we may never see one. Directv Now has been solid for me so far other than a few glitches. Between Directv Now, Sling TV, PS Vue, the upcoming Hulu Live & Youtube Unplugged there are a lot more options out there for those who want to watch TV on their Roku, Fire Tv, Android TV, Apple TV, or gaming consoles. More competition/options is always a good thkng.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 291 of 1,586
Thank you to everyone that is being very patient for the release of the Roku app. They have had a few minor glitches on the release but I just got a update that it will be out very soon. I also got to read the upcoming blog post that will be posted very soon about the Roku app. It gave more information than what has been talked about here and I'm sorry I cannot release the information. I was not given any information about the date so I cannot say if it will be out this year or next, I was only told very soon.

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 292 of 1,586
Posted by
Visitor

Message 293 of 1,586

RELEASE THE APP

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 294 of 1,586

Maybe at this point of the testing process someone can tell us what Roku models the Xfinity app will work with. Will it work with all models or just the higher end, HD only models.

I'd like to know so I can take advantage of the discounts for the players that are going on now.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 295 of 1,586

workerdummy wrote:

Maybe at this point of the testing process someone can tell us what Roku models the Xfinity app will work with. Will it work with all models or just the higher end, HD only models.

I'd like to know so I can take advantage of the discounts for the players that are going on now.

Minimum system requirements have not yet been announced but I expect that you'd be safer purchasing a higher end model, particularly during the public beta period. The safest path, if this app is important to your purchase decision, is to wait until system requirements are announced when the app is released. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 296 of 1,586
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 297 of 1,586

ComcastDan wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

Minimum system requirements have not yet been announced but I expect that you'd be safer purchasing a higher end model, particularly during the public beta period. The safest path, if this app is important to your purchase decision, is to wait until system requirements are announced when the app is released. 

I would hope that Comcast doesn't forget like Roku did that not everyone has an HD TV or wants to buy one when we have SD sets that work just fine.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 298 of 1,586
The topic is where is the Roku app and why is it taking comcast so long to release it. So how is mentioning that Comcast makes tons of money on rentals and that could be part of the reason for "delays" (besides the FCC backing off) off topic??? That IS the whole point/issue/topic. We were told there would be a release date this Fall, then by year end , now we're being told nothing. Comcast put a lid on it and told comcast employees all future information will come from marketing. It's frustrating paying for channels that I can only watch on TVs that I dole our a rental fee for. If I'm already paying for the channels why do I also need to pay a separate rental fee to watch them. It's absurd.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 299 of 1,586

The app is in development.  There have been a couple release date announcements, even employees like comcastrick were surprised that it didn't launch 12/15.  This to me means that there was a bug that needed to be fixed, or a ROKU certification delay.  It could happen again and be delayed some more obviously. It was always expected to be released as a Public Beta this fall, meaning before December 22 (winter).  Being public beta, I expect that it will still contain quirks and bugs.  If you want to watch your tv channels right now, without renting something, hook a laptop or computer up to your tv.  Xfinity.com has had Cloud DVR/ON DEMAND/LIVE TV for a while.

Update: Well, I'm nervous now because I haven't heard anything lately (another comcast employee said it would be released this year) and I've read that sometimes it takes ROKU a minute to Certify Public channels.  If any Comcast higher ups are reading this, please share it as a Private channel to Beta test during certification if it is a certification delay.

Disclaimer: My opinions and assumptions are my own and do not represent Xfinity in any way.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 300 of 1,586
How does one get added to public beta??