members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 201 of 1,586

egnlsn wrote:
Hopefully, the channels will be at the resolution the content provider originally provides to Comcast. 1080p for all would be even better.

I'm just speculating here, but I'm sure the Live TV and recorded content resolution will be whatever Comcast is currently using for streaming through the Xfinity TV app and the Xfinity TV web portal. Just because Roku has been thrown into the mix doesn't mean that Comcast is going to let them stream at a higher resolution than what is already available.

Only Comcast knows what their "High Video Playback Quality" actually translates to when streaming HD content.

EDIT: And according to ComcastDan in this post, "set-top box would be higher resolution on your TV than the IP stream", and the Roku will be an IP stream.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 202 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
I asked again and I was told 12/12. Keep in mind the 11/30 date was not given to me from the engineers. He did say the app looked fantastic and beta will be 12/12 pending the Roku certification.

I'm sure you know what I'm going to ask him next 😉

This beta will be for my Samsung TV?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 203 of 1,586
This will be for the roku media box. If you have a tv with roku built in then I'm sure it would be the same.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 204 of 1,586
andyross wrote:

Is the HD limited to broadcast channels, or also regular cable channels? The HD Tech Fee isn't required for Limited Basic. Otherwise, it sounds like a bit of a loophole that Comcast may close someday.

I am able to watch all Limited Basic HD channels on my laptop and iPad in actual HD when I am on my home network.  Outside of my home network, I can watch GO channels in HD.

HD content appears to be part of the standard package.  Where it seems one must pay extra is for an HD set top box. While I'm writing on a XFinity's forum where a policymaker may see what I have to say, I heartily disagree with this policy, given the state of the art and that nearly all TV's in the US of A are 16:9 HD.  HD is standard and should be treated as such.  It's free all online providers, Netflix, Sling, Amazon, Hulu, and even Dish.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 205 of 1,586

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

And according to ComcastDan in this post, "set-top box would be higher resolution on your TV than the IP stream", and the Roku will be an IP stream.

Well, that's sad, then. What's delivered to the STBs is 720p. That suggests that the IP stream will be comparable to SD (480i or 480p).

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 206 of 1,586
Comcast sends out 1080 and 720 depending on what network channel it is received from. Unlike other providers Comcast does not upscale to 1080 if the channel is received in 720. I have streamed the online content to my TV and I cannot tell the difference between that high quality and the 1080 coming from the set-top boxes. I'm sure we will all be happy with the quality and the ability to eliminate a $10 charge per box
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 207 of 1,586

Or 480 if it's an SD channel. While Comcast doesn't upscale from 720p to 1080i, as has been discussed multiple times in various threads and forums they do downscale from 1080i to 720p. Eventually that will be nationwide.

The 1080 coming from the STB is, indeed, upscaled for the vast majority of the channels, as the vast majority of the channels Comcast sends out at 720p, even though they receive them at 1080i. The STB then sends it to the TV at whatever resolution it's configured to sent it out at (480, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p).

That's frightening if you see no difference between the streamed version of a program and the STB version of the same program. This Sunday, compare the Comcast version of an NFL game with the OTA version of the same game. They're both 1080, with the OTA version being "i" and the Comcast version being whatever you have your box set to, which I'm assuming is 1080p.

If many of us are not happy with the picture quality now and you say there's no difference between the streamed version and the transmitted version, how can you say that we'll all be happy with the streamed version.

I'm starting to regret my having come back to Comcast from D*.  But, money talks...

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 208 of 1,586

So, while we wait for this app, and Sling TV makes it's improvements and DirecTV Now launches, what will the Xfinity app offer over the competition? Sling now has a Cloud DVR... Xfinity is working on this. DirecTV Now lets you take ALL of your channels with you, no having to be tethered to your home WiFi or being stuck with "TV GO" channels... can Comcast offer me all of my channels on the go yet?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 209 of 1,586

So, Directv NOW is streaming and now available, - they have a roku app (that works with user and password), which is what our guest home on our property needs, as the WIFI isn't a part of my cable package. 

It costs 35 a month, and has built in VOD and a beautiful guide. 

BYE BYE 200 something a month bill. BYE Xfinity. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 210 of 1,586
I will have to check on what you are saying but I don't ever recall hearing anything about us sending video quality out at 720 then upscaling it to 1080. I remember on the older boxes you could actually see the resolution information on the TV and some channels would say 720 some would be 1080. But we did have a way to force the cable box to always stay at 1080 because some TVs like Sony did not like switching between 720 and 1080 and would lock up. Also over the air is not compressed and I will agree it will look much better than what you see on the set-top box.
If the picture quality looks good and the video run smooth I'm not going to complain. After all it is a free app and we will be eliminating a $10 box charge.
As for what I said above I will check on that information. Now that we are switching to MPEG-4 and we have X1 I am not sure how the video quality or size is sent out.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 211 of 1,586

What will you use for your Internet service?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 212 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
I will have to check on what you are saying but I don't ever recall hearing anything about us sending video quality out at 720 then upscaling it to 1080.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Comcast-downgrading-all-1080i-HD-channels-to-720p/m-p/28...

In the 3rd post, there is a link to another thread. Post #13 in that thread comes from a Comcast representative.

The X1 STB has the capability to set the output resolution. If it can output 1080p, which has never been on cable, then it must upscale it.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 213 of 1,586
With your information I definitely learned a little bit more. The new X1 mpeg4 is definitely different than our older legacy. The engineer did tell me that all local channels are currently sent out in the format they are received in. I did forget to ask him if that was across all regions or just here Minnesota.
Sorry I didn't see your response when I replied. I will look over the links when I get home, I'm just finishing up in the field. From what I was told it sounds like keeping the set-top box at 720 would be much better just for the 60 fps rather than 30.
I definitely understand the frustrations with the picture quality. when I show off my TV to my friends I stream the 4K video on YouTube lol
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 214 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
This will be for the roku media box. If you have a tv with roku built in then I'm sure it would be the same.

No I have a samsung tv with samsung smart hub software

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 215 of 1,586

omcastRick wrote:
With your information I definitely learned a little bit more. The new X1 mpeg4 is definitely different than our older legacy. The engineer did tell me that all local channels are currently sent out in the format they are received in. I did forget to ask him if that was across all regions or just here Minnesota.
Sorry I didn't see your response when I replied. I will look over the links when I get home, I'm just finishing up in the field. From what I was told it sounds like keeping the set-top box at 720 would be much better just for the 60 fps rather than 30.
I definitely understand the frustrations with the picture quality. when I show off my TV to my friends I stream the 4K video on YouTube lol

I think you are correct in that the locals are sent out in the resolution in which they are received (CBS and NBC are 1080i while ABC and Fox are 720p).  Because of the compression, though, they are a far cry from OTA.  I showed my wife the difference the other day.  Maybe now I can get a real OTA DVR. Smiley Wink

Too funny about the YouTube videos.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 216 of 1,586
I started thinking about the new X1 boxes and I forgot they do not have a native setting. I was also told that I cannot comment on the newer format, they have a talking point document that we should use. So pretty much everything I said above was regarding the older mpeg2 and older boxes. When the app is released let me know what you think of the quality, right now when my computer is connected to my TV I think it's pretty good for not having to pay an extra $10 a month. And yes Comcast still charges us to rent boxes. I'm hoping to replace 4 boxes with the Roku's Smiley Happy
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 217 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
I started thinking about the new X1 boxes and I forgot they do not have a native setting. I was also told that I cannot comment on the newer format, they have a talking point document that we should use. So pretty much everything I said above was regarding the older mpeg2 and older boxes. When the app is released let me know what you think of the quality, right now when my computer is connected to my TV I think it's pretty good for not having to pay an extra $10 a month. And yes Comcast still charges us to rent boxes. I'm hoping to replace 4 boxes with the Roku's Smiley Happy

I've been told that the 1080p setting on a Cisco RGN 150N STB is a native setting. Not the same for my ARRIS XG1-A box, though.

At least you get to save on the basic service. Smiley Wink

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 218 of 1,586
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 219 of 1,586

Reply Removed from the Forums ( User Deleted Post - "Nevermind" )

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 220 of 1,586

There is only 3 more weeks left in the year, is this app going to be released within the next 3 weeks? 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 221 of 1,586

telc wrote:

There is only 3 more weeks left in the year, is this app going to be released within the next 3 weeks? 

The latest date is 12/12.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 222 of 1,586

Where did you hear that? I haven't heard any dates other than 'end of year'.

Thanks!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 223 of 1,586
From a ComcastRick, a Comcast technician who is a regular poster on this forum.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 224 of 1,586

I dont pay for HD but when I stream content on apps like AMC, ABC and Disney junior app it is in HD. The content providers apps dont seem to care about my service I am paying for, they probably only upload HD content.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 225 of 1,586

Well Today is already 12/10/16.

This leaves only 2 more days until 12/12/16.

I would be very surprised if this app comes out by then if at all.

If this does not happen I will be done with Comcast

Posted by
Contributor

Message 226 of 1,586
All over the Web, it is stated that xfiniry/comcast is working on a app for Roku. Why does this person say they are not. I call xfinity, and was told they hope to have the app by years end.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 227 of 1,586

asndad wrote:
Why does this person say they are not.

You'd have to ask that person why they contradict everyone else.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 228 of 1,586
Hi andyross. Can you possibly provide a link stating as such? Many people would like to verify the many posts of this thread, if nothing else, for those folks searching google to possibly purchasing Comcast services. validity can only help this thread guide those new to cable & role services.

Again, your posts are valued & serve as useful suggestions for everyone, including me :-)

Thanks for your time.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 229 of 1,586
Hi egnlsn. Could a link possibly be posted stating as much?

Thanks for your time
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 230 of 1,586
Let's start a count down.... What is there 20 days until 2017. 20 days until the lie becomes official.

On the 20th day of roku app there was still some hope.....
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 231 of 1,586

Could you check in the morning with the team?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 232 of 1,586

squeakywheel wrote:
Let's start a count down.... What is there 20 days until 2017. 20 days until the lie becomes official.

On the 20th day of roku app there was still some hope.....

Re-read post #1 from 11/30 there has been no official date announced yet.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 233 of 1,586
ComcastAndrew I'm not going to attack you but it was clearly implied that this app would be done this year. It should have been done in the fall. Couple more days left we can hope and dream. If it's not done by year end it will be absurd. Comcast should have just stated available on 2017 Samsung smart TVs. Everyone knows they are dragging their feet because every extra month it takes just means a lot more $$$ for the company. Only reason Comcast would hurry the project up is they were afraid of another FCC fine. Its worth more money to collect box top fees vs Losing a few scribers here and there. The only thing to topple that scale would be a fine which looks unlikely now which means drag your feet as long as possible. Just makes sense profit wise.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 234 of 1,586
Here is the quote from corporate... "Later this year, Xfinity TV customers will be able to enjoy their cable subscription in the home via the new Xfinity TV Partner app designed specifically for Roku® TV™s and Roku streaming players". So not sure how this wouldn't be a lie... Specifically States THIS YEAR.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 235 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:
Well if I don't see the app tomorrow how long should I wait before sending off emails, 2 mins, 5 mins or 6 lol
I really hope all goes well and Roku gives it the certification.

12/12 goes until 23:59:59, so I guess we really can't say anything until 12/13 @00:00:00.

It will be one of the first things I check when I get home from work, though.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 236 of 1,586

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Xfinity-TV-app-for-Roku/m-p/2838160#M69028

Post #64 and 69.

mastercoin wrote:
Hi egnlsn. Could a link possibly be posted stating as much?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 237 of 1,586

Just a note that there are two threads about this. I think this one should be closed and redirected to the one under TV Apps:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/Xfinity-TV-on-Roku/m-p/2834869

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 238 of 1,586

squeakywheel wrote:
Here is the quote from corporate... "Later this year, Xfinity TV customers will be able to enjoy their cable subscription in the home via the new Xfinity TV Partner app designed specifically for Roku® TV™s and Roku streaming players". So not sure how this wouldn't be a lie... Specifically States THIS YEAR.

That press release was put out in April of 2016.  Last I checked, today was in the middle of December of 2016 -- same year as the press release.  And, there's still 19 days left in the year.  According to their press release, they're right on schedule.

How is that a lie?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 239 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 240 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:

Thanks for the heads up andyross. I have merged them both into this one. 

Here is a recap: 
The app has a new date of 12/12 PENDING Roku certification, that date came from Tony W, a top engineer at Comcast. 
The app will only work while connected to your home network.
It will not count against your data usage. 

If the app is not released today I will do my best to check on a update. 

Thank you for the update. As soon as the Roku app is verified, then all I need here in Denver, Colorado is the ability to sign up for Comcast's streaming service without a set top box.

Looking forward to it all!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 241 of 1,586

Roku has private channels for software that they don't certify. Is that a possiblility?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 242 of 1,586

ComcastRick wrote:

Thanks for the heads up andyross. I have merged them both into this one. 

Here is a recap: 
The app has a new date of 12/12 PENDING Roku certification, that date came from Tony W, a top engineer at Comcast. 
The app will only work while connected to your home network.
It will not count against your data usage. 

If the app is not released today I will do my best to check on a update. 

Well, it's 11:45 and no app yet. I'm glad I'm not holding my breath today.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 243 of 1,586
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 244 of 1,586

not sure why the pictures are turning on their side when i post.

20161212_124702.jpg
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 245 of 1,586

Claire-Ann wrote:

not sure why the pictures are turning on their side when i post.

I wonder if that means Xfinity is making preparations to upload the app. That's on my box too.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 246 of 1,586

that  has been on roku for  months,means nothing.Keeping fingers crossed for 12/12 release.If Roku doesnt certify theres going to be issues.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 247 of 1,586

Only available in home network? Come on? Absolutely rediculous move. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 248 of 1,586

@

I'd love it if it were available outside of the home, but TWC and Charter both limit you to in your home too. It's not weird at all that they're limiting it. To my knowledge, the only company that offers full out of the home control and viewing is Dish, and they advertise it as a feature.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 249 of 1,586
I will check on mine as I write this. But if Comcast was to allow people to use this app outside the home then customers would share this app with non-paying customers. And if you were outside your home you would be using a phone or tablet to watch TV not a Roku box.
And I'm still new to my Roku box so how do I look for the app? I go into streaming channels and try typing in the name and I see nothing like the photos above.
I just got done looking and I still see nothing, sorry.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 250 of 1,586

You can also search on https://channelstore.roku.com/browse. I couldn't find it either.