Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Regular Visitor

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

"During this Beta phase, due to technical limitations, customers using the XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku (other than XFINITY Instant TV and XFINITY On Campus customers) can only use that app on secondary Service to Additional TV outlets and will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV Box or CableCARD in their home as their primary outlet. Customers using the XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku on Service to Additional TV outlets using Rokus do not require a Comcast-provided TV Box or CableCARD."

Does this mean I can turn in my Comcast DVR, move to a TIVO with a Comcast-provided cable card and that satisfies the Comcast-provided cable box requirement to use my Rokus on my other TVs to use Xfinity Stream?

Service Expert

@carandazzo wrote:

"During this Beta phase, due to technical limitations, customers using the XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku (other than XFINITY Instant TV and XFINITY On Campus customers) can only use that app on secondary Service to Additional TV outlets and will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV Box or CableCARD in their home as their primary outlet. Customers using the XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku on Service to Additional TV outlets using Rokus do not require a Comcast-provided TV Box or CableCARD."

Does this mean I can turn in my Comcast DVR, move to a TIVO with a Comcast-provided cable card and that satisfies the Comcast-provided cable box requirement to use my Rokus on my other TVs to use Xfinity Stream?

it appears it is for X1 service which TV would not meet. The Roku is for use as a customer owned any device solution that has no access to the home's DVRs. The Roku pricing has not been announced but 3rd party publicants predict monhly charges of $7 to $8 which is very near the rental of an x1 non-DVR set top box. I could give you more details if you like of the differences but trust me it is not the X1 set top box experience. for example it can only play back the 60 hours of cloud DVR recordings, can't fast forward, can't pause live TV, phone-app Roku search does not work...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Missing HD channels on Roku TV app

I have no HD as well,  have they fixed yours? I have no plans paying for their Roku app as it should be free with the service.

New Poster

This app is deplorable. Can't stream for more than 20-25 minutes without crashing the TV so bad it cold boots, or it hangs to the point that I have to pull the power cord on the TV and power it back on. I can't even navigate to a show to try watching it if I've used another app since powering the TV on, that freezes it so badly that I have to get up and pull the power cord on the TV.

It's been like this for around the 1 year that I've owned the TV, started day 1 with this app and everything else works fine. There's countless threads about all roku tv's (natively built in roku) being leggy and locking up / freezing / rebooting.

Getting ready to cut the cord.

ROKU TV 5136X
TCL MODEL 40FS3800
SW VER 8.0.0 BUILD 4142-08
New Poster

Re: roku app error (drm.-3)

From what we can see here when trouble shooting error and breaking it down.. it is a connect issue.. not so much the distance of the modem nut the connect to the modem.. Try to boast the wifi signal or increase Hardwire speed this is what we are finding resolve the issue. If you are using a customer owned modem , check to make sure that your modem can handle the speeds that are being push to the device as well a being current and up to date..please check the certifided modem list if you are not sure..

Thank you all for the feedback as we are working hard to improve are customer experiencing Smiley Happy

Contributor

What? I hope you are not a Comcast employee. What appears to be happening is a connection issue with the Roku and Comcast's server, not the Roku and the modem. Most, if not all having the issue, have no issue with other apps. What I have found though, is my approved modem loses the connection with Comcast internet. I was told by a tech that it is the was that Comcast uses what the he called "floating" ip addresses. I am assuming he means that Comcast does not use static ip addresses, so the modem forgets to update the new address, which makes it pose conection. Notice of late, my internet speed have been all over the place. Sometimes as low as <1Mbs and as high as 70Mbp. I am on Comcast's 60Mbs plan (this is measured over both wired and wireless conection).
Frequent Visitor

I have been using this app on my Roky since it was release. It has always been buggy, but have been able to deal with it. But now the DRM errors have gotten to the point that it's basically unusable.

Comcast, what is the latest on fixing the DRM issue? This has been going on for since the beginning.
Frequent Visitor

In response to L3t3's and asndad's comments... I have been receiving the drm-3 error message for months, but I have a Roku Ultra model with a hard wired connection to my modem. This is not just an issue centered around a wireless / wi-fi connection.

Frequent Visitor

For the information of anyone reading this message thread...

There are 2 (that I know of) separate, but simultaneous, message threads on the "Xfinity Help & Support Forums" concerning this issue:

XFINITY Stream on Roku (this one)
(http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/td-p/2834869)

and

Roku xfinity stream beta (Error DRM.-3)
(http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Roku-xfinity-stream-beta-Error-DRM-3/td-p/2920261)

New Poster

I have a HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver and TV, modem hardwired to a switch, roku hardwired to same switch and I was getting this all the time with the Roku app.  I finally gave up and went back to set top box, the roku app is unusable and I let customer service know as well.  I've worked in the cable industry as a network engineer, this is definitely a bug and not something I could find a box setting to fix.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

@ComcastDan wrote:

SamuriHL wrote:

@ComcastDan

Since someone responded to my question about whether the app only supports stereo sound (that is apparently the case), do you know if it's on the list to support surround sound in a future update?  Thanks!!

(I apologize to everyone if I sound like a broken record on surround sound but that feature is important to me and I suspect a few of you may agree if you have decent home theater setups)

Surround sound is important to me as well so I appreciate the question. I also saw this on a list of known issues with the beta so assume it is being looked into. I'll see if I can get more info on timing. 

@ComcastDan

I looked through this thread and don't think there were any other updates on the audio output in over a year. Are there plans to support anything beyond stereo audio? I use a projector and need to run the audio through a surround sound system, the stereo audio is just not cutting it. Thanks.

*******Edit: Surround sound is working now that I have personally tested. It was not in the release notes or discussion, but working great for me. This setup is a pretty strong box replacement after testing for a few days. I'll be ditching my aging cablecard/WMC/xbox 360 setup which has served well for 10+ years.

New Poster

local hd chan

I am using both a Roku Ultra and Roku express. When i run the stream app, I am missing the channel lineup for locals in HD.  They are there in SD.

If I login via my phone or computer they show up.  Is this a problem in the beta app?

Service Expert

Re: local hd chan

@gregorydb wrote:

I am using both a Roku Ultra and Roku express. When i run the stream app, I am missing the channel lineup for locals in HD.  They are there in SD.

If I login via my phone or computer they show up.  Is this a problem in the beta app?

examine your current Comcast bill. do you see a separate charge line for HD Technology @ $10 ?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

What is funny is, Comcast has to downgrade the broadcast to send it out in SD. The other nonsense is, even if HD is part of your package, as it is mine, unless there is some nonsense about HD on your bill, you only get SD, which Comcast has to downgrade.
New Poster

I just wanted to make a comment on the floating IP that you mentioned. I've been fighting with Comcast for over a year and a half to change my Cable modem public IP address because somebody is constantly trying to hack into my network. They have told me several times they'll look into it and have not done anything. It was even elevated to their security team and nothing was done. I traced back the IP address the hack attempts are coming from, it's a Comcast IP address. Just thought everybody should know.

As for the Roku app, they don't seem to maintain it. What's really sad is I have HD service and I can't get it through the Roku app.
Service Expert

@Unhappy-User1 wrote:
I just wanted to make a comment on the floating IP that you mentioned. I've been fighting with Comcast for over a year and a half to change my Cable modem public IP address because somebody is constantly trying to hack into my network. They have told me several times they'll look into it and have not done anything. It was even elevated to their security team and nothing was done. I traced back the IP address the hack attempts are coming from, it's a Comcast IP address. Just thought everybody should know.

As for the Roku app, they don't seem to maintain it. What's really sad is I have HD service and I can't get it through the Roku app.

while in beta, the Roku will only give you HD if you have a separate charge line on your bill for HD technology at $10/month. packages that include HD do not get HD on the Roku beta at this time.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

My X1 TV package includes HD Channels.  I get them on the stream app for IOS, Android and Web browsers  Just not the Roku App.

I signed up for a package that included HD, I will not pay an addition fee to stream them.

Contributor

Just another way for Comcast to scam customers. The sad part is, most, if not all, channels are sent out (broadcast) in HD, which means Comcast had to convert them to SD. I too, am supposed to get HD, but as it is part of my package, I don't get HD on their Roku app. Hence I very seldom even use it any more.
New Poster

Re: "Channel Install Failed"....cannot add Xfinity Beta to my Roku

Same problem here on my Dynex 32 inch.  Very inconvenient because if it worked it saves the cost of adding another box.  So far, no luck, not happy.

Service Expert

@Roland2 wrote:

Same problem here on my Dynex 32 inch.  Very inconvenient because if it worked it saves the cost of adding another box.  So far, no luck, not happy.

while in the beta test, limited devices are available. page one of this thread includes currently included devices. no Dynex brand is listed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

This concerns the DRM-3 error problem which has been discussed in this topic... From what I can determine, in the third week of April, Comcast installed a new version, 2.4.7, of the Xfinity Stream application on the Roku platform. Since this version installed itself on my Roku device, I have not encountered the DRM-3 error.

New Poster

Does the app work on Roku stick 3500X?

Does the stream app work on Riki stick 3500X?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Does the app work on Roku stick 3500X?

The paragraph headed What Roku devices can I use the app with? on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs does not list that model number.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the heads up, clearsky. I revisited the Xfinity app on my Roku and it works great! Looks like Xfinity is paying attention....'bout time...Now looking for the app to show up on my 2017 LG TV.

Contributor

@clearsky wrote:

This concerns the DRM-3 error problem which has been discussed in this topic... From what I can determine, in the third week of April, Comcast installed a new version, 2.4.7, of the Xfinity Stream application on the Roku platform. Since this version installed itself on my Roku device, I have not encountered the DRM-3 error.

This is good news! Thanks for the info!

Hearing this, we consider coming back and checking out Stream TV again. I'd be totally sold when I see an app for Amazon Fire TV.

New Poster

Roku Express /Xfinity Stream service

Having issue with stream app on my tv . I have a roku express hooked up 1 of two in the home and all it says Is "you haven't purchased anything" all of a sudden. The roku is updated to 8.0 the stream app is updated to 2.4 build 7 and I'm connected to my Xfinity in home wifi. I have went as far as to factory reset the roku np change
Service Expert

Re: Roku Express /Xfinity Stream service

@Mrgreen77 wrote:
Having issue with stream app on my tv . I have a roku express hooked up 1 of two in the home and all it says Is "you haven't purchased anything" all of a sudden. The roku is updated to 8.0 the stream app is updated to 2.4 build 7 and I'm connected to my Xfinity in home wifi. I have went as far as to factory reset the roku np change

do you have a smart device (apple or android) or a desk/laptop to test the stream app to see if your account has an issue?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Yes works fine on my phone and on another roku in the home on the same network
Service Expert

@Mrgreen77 wrote:
Yes works fine on my phone and on another roku in the home on the same network

try logging out of the channel and then remove and reinstall the channel and login. working?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Yea already did that a few time no luck
Regular Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:
Packages that include HD do not get HD on the Roku beta at this time. 

Does this include premium channels? I have Starz on my account, and I can only watch it in SD using the Roku app. This can't be right. 

Service Expert

@jlivius wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:
Packages that include HD do not get HD on the Roku beta at this time. 

Does this include premium channels? I have Starz on my account, and I can only watch it in SD using the Roku app. This can't be right. 

if I understand your question, you are asking if the Roku will play the HD channels. The Roku at this time includes HD during the beta period if your bill has a separate line for HD technology fee ($10). if the HD is included in your package then the Roku won't display the HD channels except for your local broadcast channels. That is the last I heard on the issue.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon