Service Expert
Moved:

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

It would be great to see the Roku 2 xs (3100) added to the list soon.

Also, improved training for support staff regarding Roku compatibility would be helpful. I had an excessively long online chat to find out two things: 1) the Showtime Roku App is not available for Comcast Showtime Subscribers and 2) I was getting an error message when trying to download the Xfinity Stream Beta App because my Roku 2 was the wrong Roku 2 model (I was unaware there was more than one Roku 2 model). I suppose I could have gone to Roku support; however, Comcast online staff should be able to quickly diagnose and provide this information.

Service Expert

Pluamb wrote:

Also, improved training for support staff regarding Roku compatibility would be helpful. I had an excessively long online chat to find out two things: 1) the Showtime Roku App is not available for Comcast Showtime Subscribers and 2) I was getting an error message when trying to download the Xfinity Stream Beta App because my Roku 2 was the wrong Roku 2 model (I was unaware there was more than one Roku 2 model). I suppose I could have gone to Roku support; however, Comcast online staff should be able to quickly diagnose and provide this information.

is your's a Roku 2 (4210)?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Today, it has barely worked. I keep getting "something went wrong" or DRM errors. Sometimes just trying to open the app, sometimes getting to the live TV listings or On Demand, or settings, or sometimes when trying to get a channel started, it just churns and churns forever. I tried reinstalling the app, updating the Roku stick software, rebooting, all combos of that in differing orders. It worked fine yesterday.
Regular Visitor

Hope this is the correct place for this

I bought a TCL TV with Roku about a week ago, and, so far, I've had few problems. 

What I'm wondering is if anyone has experience with VPN when used with the beta app. I am running my own router off the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode. Previously, I had my VPN running on the router, so that all my home network devices were behind the VPN. When I try to connect to the Xfinity beta app on Roku on the TV, connection fails because I'm supposedly not on my home network. If I turn off the VPN on the router, connection works.

I have seen some VPN mentions in the thread, but nothing definitive. Does anyone know of a workaround? Is there a way to contact Comcast to ask for a solution? I've tried going through support by phone, but kind of got nowhere. 

Service Expert

ercrons1 wrote:

Hope this is the correct place for this

I bought a TCL TV with Roku about a week ago, and, so far, I've had few problems. 

What I'm wondering is if anyone has experience with VPN when used with the beta app. I am running my own router off the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode. Previously, I had my VPN running on the router, so that all my home network devices were behind the VPN. When I try to connect to the Xfinity beta app on Roku on the TV, connection fails because I'm supposedly not on my home network. If I turn off the VPN on the router, connection works.

I have seen some VPN mentions in the thread, but nothing definitive. Does anyone know of a workaround? Is there a way to contact Comcast to ask for a solution? I've tried going through support by phone, but kind of got nowhere. 

Comcast has a system that inspects the packets and won't allow VPN to the devices in the home to count as 'in-home' connections.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Rustyben wrote:

Pluamb wrote:

is your's a Roku 2 (4210)?

He states that his is a Roku 2XS, Model No. 3100. As far as I know, this model, which I also own, is not supported by the Xfinity Roku App. Strange, as it is a high end Roku 2 model, with an ethernet port, and a built-in Angry Birds app Smiley Happy

New Poster

Just wanted to let you know Showtime is available on the Roku for Comcast subscribers. There are 2 different showtime apps on the Roku. 1 is called showtime and the other app is called showtime anytime. Showtime anytime is the app you want to use. It will give you access to all of showtimes programming and It works for Comcast subscribers. I just used it last night. Hope this helps you out.
Frequent Visitor

Same here.

few specs on this issue.. I am on my own top notch router/modem, and have two rokus here. One, an Ultra, connected to the TV which has an xfinity box and is connetced via ethernet cable. The second is a Roku3 connected via the 2.8ghz conection (that roku, on 5ghz will not connect), I get "sorry something went wrong" and a (error DRM.-3). Went through the issue with tech support just now, to no conclusion, forwareded to developers who are supposed to call back at a later time. This is night number 3 where this was first noticed. App has been deleted and reloaded an re-registered, I have signed out of the app and signed in, I have signed out of the network and signed back in and restarted the roku3. Still the same issue.. this happens with on demand as well as live channels.

edt: signed in wih different user name (other comcast user mail acct) and it started working for me.

New Poster

I have a TCL Roku tv. Using the beta app causes the tv to constantly freeze then completely shut down and restart. This happens even when I am watching a movie from on demand. It seems to be working fine then suddenly shuts down my tv. I'm pretty positive it is the application since my tv does not do this at any other time.
New Poster

Same problem here: TCL model 5107x running software version 7.6 freezes up and resets to the home screen after several minutes of running the xfinity app. This started with the update to 7.6 and only happens with the xfinity app, all other streaming apps work fine.  My roku stick, running software version 7.7 does not have this issue. The TCL tv and the Roku stick are the same distance and signal strength from the cable modem/router: Netgear model C7000.

Frequent Visitor

Now BOTH devices in my home are bunk with this "app"

"This device can only access XFINITY STream on your inhome XFINITY WiFi. Use the app on your smrtpohne, tablet, or laptop to watch n the go, any time you like [Exit App]" (error createDRMSession.403-102)

I AM an XIFINITY user, using this in my home, or at least trying to.

This is ridiculous. Not what I pay for.

Would someone please fix this app, or at least notify someone who will?! 

I have reset the modem/router.. it's a C7000 nighthawk.

Service Expert

Anon1213550 wrote:

Now BOTH devices in my home are bunk with this "app"

"This device can only access XFINITY STream on your inhome XFINITY WiFi. Use the app on your smrtpohne, tablet, or laptop to watch n the go, any time you like [Exit App]" (error createDRMSession.403-102)

I AM an XIFINITY user, using this in my home, or at least trying to.

This is ridiculous. Not what I pay for.

Would someone please fix this app, or at least notify someone who will?! 

I have reset the modem/router.. it's a C7000 nighthawk.

what device are you using? If not a Roku, are you trying to connect the device to a TV via HDMI?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I'm with you on this one... someone needs to fix the issues with this app. We haven't been able to watch anything on our DVR with the app in over 2 weeks. It always says Oops! Something went wrong DRM-1or DMR-1 can't remember exactly. Very frustrating!!

Frequent Visitor

yes, 3 posts up, 2 different rokus, a 3 and an ultra, neither work. Same thing 001.JPG

Service Expert

Anon1213550 wrote:

yes, 3 posts up, 2 different rokus, a 3 and an ultra, neither work. Same thing

Does your smart device running the xfinity Stream TV app work fine on the home system?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have the same issue, I can't access any channels I have a premier+
New Poster

I tried to hook my Roku up in the bedroom using my Xfinity home wi-fi network and was able to successfully log in to all the apps except the xfinity beta stream app.  When I went to the activation screen on my iPhone (also running on the home wi-fi network) I put the code in and then got the same message about the app only being available for use on your home wi-fi network.  I never even got to the screen where it asked me to log in to my Xfinity account.  The Xfinity stream app on my phone is working fine.  The only thing I could think of was that I purchased this Roku from my parents after they tried to hook it up but were disappointed with streaming and went back to cable boxes, so maybe it's still trying to log in to their Xfinity account?  They deactivated the box and I set it up on my account and my wi-fi, so I don't know how.  But I know the Xfinity stream app works on that Roku, because it was logged into their Xfinity account at their house a week ago and I played a show through it to try to demonstrate how it works to them.  

Service Expert

tmsenn14 wrote:

I tried to hook my Roku up in the bedroom using my Xfinity home wi-fi network and was able to successfully log in to all the apps except the xfinity beta stream app.  When I went to the activation screen on my iPhone (also running on the home wi-fi network) I put the code in and then got the same message about the app only being available for use on your home wi-fi network.  I never even got to the screen where it asked me to log in to my Xfinity account.  The Xfinity stream app on my phone is working fine.  The only thing I could think of was that I purchased this Roku from my parents after they tried to hook it up but were disappointed with streaming and went back to cable boxes, so maybe it's still trying to log in to their Xfinity account?  They deactivated the box and I set it up on my account and my wi-fi, so I don't know how.  But I know the Xfinity stream app works on that Roku, because it was logged into their Xfinity account at their house a week ago and I played a show through it to try to demonstrate how it works to them.  

on the roku use the menu to get to settings (in the stream app) and verify you are logged out. Uninstall the app then reinstall and login to the app. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks, that worked!  I was definitely logged into Roku with my account, and was logged into the Xfinity Stream app and all the other cable apps on my iphone with my account, but somehow on Google chrome it had me logged into Xfinity on my parents' Comcast account, so once I switched that, and tried to authorize again, it worked.

New Poster

I started having the exact same error message too.  Everything worked fine around a week ago and now after I authorize, I get this message.  My Roku is directly connected to my ethernet through Xfinity and support verified that it should work when directly connected without Wifi. 

New Poster

Sometime this past week, I only get this message.  My Roku is directly connected to ethernet through my Xfinity service.  Suport claims it should work fine.Sometime this past week, I only get this message. My Roku is directly connected to ethernet through my Xfinity service. Suport claims it should work fine.

Frequent Visitor

It's a ROKU Ultra.

Everything else works beautifully. XStream is the only app that is incoherent.

Frequent Visitor

Went through once again with xfinity chat support, trying to resolve the issue.. nothing worked.

Shivendra
4:02 PM
Sorry (-----), I really apologize for the inconvenience.
Shivendra
4:03 PM
As we have checked, the problem may not be with your device nor the line. The only thing that needs to be done is for us to investigate what's causing this issue.
Shivendra
4:03 PM
I will be creating an open ticket for our back office engineers to analyze the possible causes and resolve the issue remotely.

I would hope app deveolpers are noting this post and trying to save these xfinity customers the same time consuming steps (for supprot and the customer like me) I have taken today.
Regular Visitor

Same here!!! in RE: to

"I have a TCL Roku tv. Using the beta app causes the tv to constantly freeze then completely shut down and restart. This happens even when I am watching a movie from on demand. It seems to be working fine then suddenly shuts down my tv. I'm pretty positive it is the application since my tv does not do this at any other time."

Frequent Visitor

It did register and starting working just now. Hope it stays that way.

Frequent Visitor

There has been little improvement for Roku TV users since this app became available for beta. While everything works great on my Roku Premiere, it's pretty much unusable on my Insignia Roku TV. Likely owing to less RAM and a slower processor. This is a shame, since the only real reason I wanted this app was to use on a Roku TV without any extra cables. Luckily some channels that I watch frequently (ESPN, NBCSN, MLB TV) have standalone Roku apps that work perfectly on a Roku TV.

Regular Visitor

I'm in the same boat with Insignia Roku TV.  Bought a second one when I needed one just for this reason.  Both were working fine until the last update.  I'm guessing there is nothing that can be done to make this work.  Will probably end up getting a Roku Express just for this.  Bought one for my son and it works great.

Frequent Visitor

The same exact thing happens on our Insignia tv with built in roku, using the xfinity app. My daughter has given up after a few months of this.

New Poster

Before I run out to buy a new Roku -- will I be able to watch NFL Red Zone on the app? Also will live games show up (sometimes they don't show on my ipad)... 

Frequent Visitor

When will the Final Version come out.

It has been in Beta for quite a long time now.

Is Comcast delaying Final Version for some reason on purpose thinking nobody will make any changes until Final Version is out.

Regular Contributor

crunch32 wrote:

When will the Final Version come out.

It has been in Beta for quite a long time now.

Is Comcast delaying Final Version for some reason on purpose thinking nobody will make any changes until Final Version is out.

Considering how many people are still having issues with it, I don't think it will ever come out of Beta.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Gave me ONE hour use that night, and playing the same game.. this thing is trash not worth messing with. Seriously considering dropping comcast and hopping on over to direct TV service, they have a new roku app that actually works. .

New Poster

He said it was Roku 2xs 3100 series...I too have two of those units and am unable to use them for the xfinity app.  Please advise if they will be supported in short order

Service Expert

mpalumbo521 wrote:

He said it was Roku 2xs 3100 series...I too have two of those units and am unable to use them for the xfinity app.  Please advise if they will be supported in short order

Did you read this?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/m-p/2834869#M3522

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

twos50 wrote:

Same here!!! in RE: to

"I have a TCL Roku tv. Using the beta app causes the tv to constantly freeze then completely shut down and restart. This happens even when I am watching a movie from on demand. It seems to be working fine then suddenly shuts down my tv. I'm pretty positive it is the application since my tv does not do this at any other time."

Had the same problem until the roku tv updated to version 7.7.0. Now it works fine again.

New Poster

I just bought an Insignia Roku TV (43", model NS-43DR620NA18) from Best Buy after learning that Xfinity had a Roku App.  The entire reason for the purchase was because I could stream my Xfinity service onto this TV.  However, as I have found out, unfortunately, this app is pure junk.  When it works, it stays on for 5 minutes and then an error message pops up that says something went wrong and to try again later with an error code of (DRM.-3).  Yesterday the app stopped working completely and this same message popped up everytime I tried accessing any channels.  I had to delete the app and reinstall for it to start working again...only to get this every 5 minutes again.  Every other App plays flawlessly.  MLB.TV will play an entire game without crashing once.  Since the app says its a "Beta" I might expect problems, but it seems this app has been out for at least 8 months.  Way to go, Comcast!

Service Expert

COArsenal wrote:

I just bought an Insignia Roku TV (43", model NS-43DR620NA18) from Best Buy after learning that Xfinity had a Roku App.  The entire reason for the purchase was because I could stream my Xfinity service onto this TV.  However, as I have found out, unfortunately, this app is pure junk.  When it works, it stays on for 5 minutes and then an error message pops up that says something went wrong and to try again later with an error code of (DRM.-3).  Yesterday the app stopped working completely and this same message popped up everytime I tried accessing any channels.  I had to delete the app and reinstall for it to start working again...only to get this every 5 minutes again.  Every other App plays flawlessly.  MLB.TV will play an entire game without crashing once.  Since the app says its a "Beta" I might expect problems, but it seems this app has been out for at least 8 months.  Way to go, Comcast!

i'm a customer like you but have no Roku to try. However there are thousands in use during the beta that are successfully using it. A real test would be to try a Roku Dongle and see if you have better luck. for Tech assistance would you verify your Roku version level and the version of the Xfinity stream app? It is very possible that your TV/built-in Roku may be the actual problem and if the dongle works you will have the proof you need to have your retailer/Insignia work out a fix. Personally I don't like built in apps (like netflix) as they are rarely brought up to current features and work differently in a slow/bad way.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I don't know if I would rush it to much. I would almost bet we will eventually start being charged per device registered to use it. Just a hunch.
Service Expert

troyfitz wrote:
I don't know if I would rush it to much. I would almost bet we will eventually start being charged per device registered to use it. Just a hunch.

yes they stated that in the beta. It will cost something less than a companion set top box and much of that fee goes to the producers of the entertainment - not retained by Comcast as profit.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Sure, Rusty, I bet you believe that also. As you do not have a Roku, nor probably any other streaming device, you would not know that other "cable" companies provide free streaming. With Comcast, it is only about more profits, and not caring about their customers.
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity App performance on my Roku TV has improved to the point of being usable. The guide doesn't populate speedily, but no problem watching live TV (even HD channels) the last few days.
Contributor

Rusty, perhaps you could take some time and explain why, as "a customer like you but have no Roku to try", you can be one of the most prolific responders to this thread solving issues with the ROKU app. The ROKU app has been out for how long in BETA format???? An app in BETA usually responds with a rapid succession of updates, leading up to an actual release. This BETA app feels more and more like an abandoned product with no release in sight. Someone, somewhere, still needs to provide a rational argument about why the ROKU would require compensation to content providers, but somehow, playing the same content on a 27" computer monitor would not require the same compensation.

Service Expert

plummerl wrote:

Rusty, perhaps you could take some time and explain why, as "a customer like you but have no Roku to try", you can be one of the most prolific responders to this thread solving issues with the ROKU app. The ROKU app has been out for how long in BETA format???? An app in BETA usually responds with a rapid succession of updates, leading up to an actual release. This BETA app feels more and more like an abandoned product with no release in sight. Someone, somewhere, still needs to provide a rational argument about why the ROKU would require compensation to content providers, but somehow, playing the same content on a 27" computer monitor would not require the same compensation.

hi, I did request a 'loaner' Roku but it was not provided. I don't need a Roku as I have 3 DVRs and an XG2 in a two person household.  The experts as well as the other Problem Solvers donate their time and expertise to try to help other customers. The Beta for Roku devices is 'open' to all Comcast customers and is free while in Beta. Comcast's stated goal is to have the Roku be a customer choice to replace a companion device in the home. The computer monitor is allowed under the apparent licensing terms between Comcast and the suppliers of the entertainment (networks and channels). Similarly connecting via HDMI from a lap/desktop to a TV is a 'grandfathered' allowed connection under the same contracts. 

I personally use a chromebook and iPad mini (as well as my iphone 7+ when out of home) to stream TV as a second screen or to use my IPod bluetooth ear buds for early morning watching without disturbing my sleeping wife.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

All of that says nothing. ALL other "cable" companies, such as AT&T, Spetrum, etc., offer their steam on Roku, free of charge to their subscribers. As I have some understanding of licensing policies, they licence user accounts, not number of devices, just as Comcast does. This is further evidenced by the fact that broadcast fees are the same for one Comcast devices or four. The only extra charge is for renting the equipment. It is further shown by the fact that you can stream over mobile, computer, and other devices for free, even on Comcast. If you really want to be an "expert" for the Roku app, you should buy a Roku and see how it work ( or doesn't at times), then you will know what people at talking about. To me, it seems you are a paid still for Comcast, and not an expert in Roku apps. Most of your advice is terrible, and solves nothing. Examples include, you say for people to buy a different Roku device instead of using the person's Roku TV, when acording the Comcast employees, Roku Tv's are supported. You have given absolutely no usable advice throughout this entire thread, other than try to restart the device, and any person with even a small intelligence would try that anyway.
Frequent Visitor

As I've increased use of the app recently, I thought I'd mention that it has been acting as designed on two streaming sticks without errors for a few weeks now.  To reiterate things written before, these things would be great improvements:

Easy way to go straight back to the last channel being viewed immediatly upon opening the app.

Not having to select a channel, wait for the description to load, and then being able to click "watch" would be nice.  I want to select a channel in the guide and be watching it without having to click twice.

Have the current channel still playing in the corner while perusing the guide, like a normal cable box.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

ComcastDan wrote:

tasewell wrote:

Any information yet about getting Starz On Demand content in HD?  I have the option to select one of 2 streams, so I select the one with the "HD" symbol, but as soon as it starts playing, I can see from the fuzzy title and fuzzy parental rating that it is not HD.

I get Starz in HD resolution for Live TV and the Starz app for Fire TV provided me HD resolution before Xfinity stopped authorizing it for Fire TV.

Any update on this issue?

I saw this listed on our technical team's list of known issues with the Roku beta.  It is still being investigated so I don't have an ETA on resolution.

It has been over 6 months and I still don't get the majority of Starz in HD for On Demand content even though live tv content is HD for Starz.  This seems more like a server or provisioning problem and not a problem with the Xfinity app.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity app on Roku

Around September 11th I started noticing something odd with Live TV on the Xfinity App from my Roku Stick.  In the middle of the night (early morning) it would shut down and go back to the home page.  I could just hit OK and restart the process.  It got progressively worse to the point that last night and this morning Xfinity will only be on for maximum 2 minutes (I timed it) before it shuts down!  What's going on?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I should also mention, this is only happening on my tv in my room.  The living room has the Xfinity box that can record programs.  

Thanks

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity app on Roku

sbtgran wrote:

Around September 11th I started noticing something odd with Live TV on the Xfinity App from my Roku Stick.  In the middle of the night (early morning) it would shut down and go back to the home page.  I could just hit OK and restart the process.  It got progressively worse to the point that last night and this morning Xfinity will only be on for maximum 2 minutes (I timed it) before it shuts down!  What's going on?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I should also mention, this is only happening on my tv in my room.  The living room has the Xfinity box that can record programs.  

Thanks

hi, I moved your post to the roku mega-thread. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon