New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV app for Roku

ComcastRick wrote:
That is a very good question. I just got out of a meeting with our regional manager and I did get a chance to ask him about the app. He seems to think that Roku will stream the channels through the X1 box but from what I'm reading it will be an app. If it is a actual app then I would assume it is using the Internet only. That could explain why we just recently added data caps for Internet usage.
At this time I cannot find any solid information. But if I do get more information about this product I will share it with you.

You have got to be kidding me?  It should work similar to how I presently stream from my PC using the Xfinity TV portal at home, as well as use a smart device at home using the Xfinity TV app, and be using Comcast's proprietary network (and not the Internet). If it used data, that would make it a useless app. It would also make it impossible to stream ALL my linear LIVE TV channels while at home, since a majority of them are NOT allowed to be streamed through the Internet.

Roku is just another IP device on my network, that gets it data through my modem/gateway.  Comcast should most definitely be able to figure out that I am on my home network streaming Xfinity TV though a Roku device, and not count that as data.

Regular Contributor

Send me an invitation to the Beta program.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Official Employee

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

ComcastRick wrote:
That is a very good question. I just got out of a meeting with our regional manager and I did get a chance to ask him about the app. He seems to think that Roku will stream the channels through the X1 box but from what I'm reading it will be an app. If it is a actual app then I would assume it is using the Internet only. That could explain why we just recently added data caps for Internet usage.
At this time I cannot find any solid information. But if I do get more information about this product I will share it with you.

You have got to be kidding me?  It should work similar to how I presently stream from my PC using the Xfinity TV portal at home, as well as use a smart device at home using the Xfinity TV app, and be using Comcast's proprietary network (and not the Internet). If it used data, that would make it a useless app. It would also make it impossible to stream ALL my linear LIVE TV channels while at home, since a majority of them are NOT allowed to be streamed through the Internet.

Roku is just another IP device on my network, that gets it data through my modem/gateway.  Comcast should most definitely be able to figure out that I am on my home network streaming Xfinity TV though a Roku device, and not count that as data.

I can confirm that video consumption of non-TV Go content via the Roku app while connected to your in-home XFINITY network will not count against any data usage plans that may be in effect in your market. In this case, the video will be delivered over Comcast's managed network. It will include all the channels and On Demand content you subscribe to on your set-top box.

If there is TV Go content in the Roku app, it will be labeled as such and data charges may apply. Just like the XFINITY TV mobile apps and portal. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

Your right 

Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Service Expert

ComcastRick wrote:

Hoo boy!  Thanks for the heads-up, Rick!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

How does one get access to the beta for the Roku app, or will it be open to anyone?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Sorry I wish we had more information on the beta. Most of the time beta testing goes to employees first to gather their input. But I will keep everyone posted even if it's for beta testing.
Think Customer First

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: When will the Xfinity TV app be available on ROKU?

Just another squeaky wheel passing by waiting, waiting and waiting.  Kids are done trick or treating....   turkey time is upon us...  soon will be xmas.  Where the heck is the Cocast app for the Roku.

Or if thats too hard could you atleast allow the kids to watch some dang cartoons.  Comcast is the only provider that doesn't have an "AGREEMENT" to be an available service provider for half of the channels I'm already paying for.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Service Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

I'm a service tech for MN and we are sometimes the last to know about new products and the release dates. But i'm knocking on doors trying to find out more info on the release date. At this time Comcast is very busy working on other services. I can say two of the items on the plate is the fastest residential gateway and the release of the Xi6 wireless boxes. I just bought my first Roku Ultra and I'm ready for the app Smiley Happy 

If I get a update on the app I will be sure to post it right away..

And be sure to check out the Netflix app on the X1 platform. 
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I appreciate the comments from the employees about requesting everyone's patience, but this problem is one brought on by Xfinity marketing. When they announced that the app was going to be delivered in the fall, they set expectations. And there was one clear reason for doing so - they wanted to associate the brand with Roku to get the goodwill that goes along with it.

The problem is that companies routinely have individuals in them who make decisions like this in order to further their careers, increase sales, and other more nefarious reasons, but they don't really care about their ability to execute. If they hit the target, great. If not... who cares.

But the customers do! And even a piece of new code written from scratch to tie into existing APIs should not have taken more than maybe 90 days to get into beta. Here we are 6 months after the initial announcement. The assumption I would make is there have been a ton of delays like:

- The people inking the Roku deal didn't have development resources allocated to actually carry though, so had to go hunt those down after they did it

- The resources they wanted to use had other development on their plate, probably higher priority, and basically told them to go pound sand. They'll get to it when they get to it.

- When they did finally get to it (assuming there is actually some demo code as some have stated) most likely the developers have had all kinds of micromanagement dragging down their efforts on every nitpicky little thing.

I'm just getting started, but suffice it to say that I wouldn't expect to see something until well into next year because of the incredible beauracracy in organizations like this.

Regular Contributor

We have another post about this and I copied a email I received from corporate. This info is not set in stone and please remember this is not the only thing they are working on. The app team may have been taken away to work on other items, I'm not sure. But here is the email I received.

What programming and features will be available with the XFINITY TV partner app?
XFINITY Guide
Live and On Demand programming, including:
Local broadcasts
Cable programming
Premium networks
Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) Channels
Cloud DVR recordings

What customers will be eligible for the app?
At this time, we are still determining eligibility for the XFINITY TV partner app. More information will be available later this year when we are ready to launch the app.

Will customers still need a TV box to access the XFINITY TV partner app on Roku devices and 2016 Samsung Smart TVs?
No, the XFINITY TV partner app will provide access to the channels and features listed above without the need for a TV box.

Do you plan to partner with other companies to expand the offering of the XFINITY TV partner app to other devices?
Yes, we continue to explore and discuss opportunities with other companies to hopefully expand this offering to other devices in the future.

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

It's nice to know that the beta releases in 15 days, but, I'd really like to be a part of that beta, and or/know how long the beta will last. 

I've been very excited to see this app on the roku and have literally been waiting since April, when it was announced, anxiously.

Regular Contributor

Rick, your list doesn't mention 4K. Will 4k content be available via the app?

ComcastRick wrote:

What programming and features will be available with the XFINITY TV partner app?
XFINITY Guide
Live and On Demand programming, including:
Local broadcasts
Cable programming
Premium networks
Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) Channels
Cloud DVR recordings

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

I'm sure over time they will add 4k content, but at this time most boxes including some X1 boxes can't deliver 4k so they have no need for 4k ch's or on demand movies. Now i'm only guessing at this and field techs are usually the last ones to find out what the company is planning for the future. 

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Not sure where else to post this, but I just purchased the roku stick and tried accessing Watch ESPN through the roku, and it says ESPN isn't part of my package which it actually is. When using my television at home (not where my roku is set up and I'm also able to access watch espn with my phone anywhere) I have every version of ESPN to my disposal and pay a pretty penny for service so I don't understand why I can't access this on roku or my PS4 when selecting xfinity as my provider and logging in etc. what gives?
Silver Problem Solver

Some providers like Comcast limit a few channels to portable devices only. They basically say if you have a TV, get a cable box (and pay the rental fee.)

New Poster

I guess my frustration is that not only is Comcast delaying the app launch but they have also taken away our ability to access Starz via Roku? I think it is a little ridiculous that customers pay so much money for this service and I can't even get the same basic amenities that other providers have. And I don't want to hear it is about contracts. That is just a way of trying to make it seem like your hands are tied. You cannot possibly be the one service provider that can't get your contracts in order.

Contributor

Do "eligibility requirements" mean that not all Xfinity TV subscribers will be able to use the Roku app?  Also can you confirm that Roku app usage won't count against the data cap?

Regular Contributor

I would just like to say that I also get frustrated when I cannot stream certain channels through my roku and I have no knowledge of why it is not allowed. I will bring that up to leadership and see if they have a response on it.

As for the eligibility, I would assume you just need to have cable service, but again I am just assuming. And I still have no confirmation on the data use. But If the Ruku box is streaming from home then you would assume it is not going to count against you. But if a Ruku box on the Comcast network is streaming from a home that does not subscribe to cable service that could count against that subscriber. Again I don't know for sure how this will work I'm only taking guesses at it.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Yes it is very frustrating and I just replied and another post about the same issue. I will try to ask my leadership why Comcast has locked down viewing channels through smart devices. It may be because Comcast wants to build a partnership with certain companies. I know of only four that are allowed to have the Xfinity TV app and they are Xbox, Nvidia shield and the roku box. I did try sideloading the TV app on the Nvidia shield a few months ago and it worked great. As for the Roku box, obviously we are still waiting for that app

Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

mark.bidewell wrote:

Do "eligibility requirements" mean that not all Xfinity TV subscribers will be able to use the Roku app?  Also can you confirm that Roku app usage won't count against the data cap?

as per above, not determined yet. You can use a desk/laptop and connect via hdmi now. You can use a desk/laptop and the chrome browser and 'cast' the screen to a comcast dongle. 

my guess on the 'free' uncounted aka zero-rated data would be that it matches in-home use of the streams using your home network (comcast managed network then handles the data flow path). Linear channels, on-demand, DVR playback would be on that managed network.

edit: didn't see the post that arrived by comcast employee while I was typing Smiley Happy

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

There is the UHD Sampler App on select TVs in which Comcast has placed some 4K content (the most notable disaster was the Olympics). I was just wondering if that programming might be included, and even expanded upon.

ComcastRick wrote:

I'm sure over time they will add 4k content, but at this time most boxes including some X1 boxes can't deliver 4k so they have no need for 4k ch's or on demand movies. Now i'm only guessing at this and field techs are usually the last ones to find out what the company is planning for the future. 

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

That would be on the Samsung and LG TVs only at this time. Other technicians have told me they have seen 4K content but I have not come across them yet.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I have seen the content, as I have one of those Samsung TVs. The question was, will that content (in 4K) be available via this new app?

ComcastRick wrote:
That would be on the Samsung and LG TVs only at this time. Other technicians have told me they have seen 4K content but I have not come across them yet.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry I can't say for sure but I sure hope so Smiley Happy
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Customers will soon be able to access Comcast’s cable service on Roku devices. App will feature Xfinity's Emmy Award-winning guide, live and on demand programming and more.
PHILADELPHIA, PA

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-and-roku-bring-xfinity-tv-partner-ap...

Corporate press realese!!

Regular Contributor

We've already read the press release, some of us back in April. That's why this thread even exists in the first place. I echo Rick's question: Who is lying about what?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Contributor

Thanks for keeping us updated Rick. I am still waiting for the app. If you hear anything more please keep us informed and thank you.

Frequent Visitor

It would be nice if Comcast would at the least make an official announcement about where this stands. Being silent isn't helping matters. I for one feel like a fool for running out and purchasing a bunch of Rokus with the hope of getting rid of all my leased set top boxes. It's bad enough that Comcast is still charging for HD service. I mean back in the day, did Comcast charge for SD services? I've basically purchased my own set top boxes Comcast. Let me use them!!!!! Maybe now that At&t has introduced their $35 streaming service, Comcast's hand will be forced.
New Poster

If xfinity doesn't do something soon, i will be switching to the new At&t streaming service "Directv Now".  I have Roku's all around the house, been looking forward to losing the cable boxes, also losing the extra fees especially since the bill keeps getting hire and xfinity can't figure out a way to lower.  I have been keeping my eyes open, watching for the availability of xfinity making use of Roku's and At&t's streaming service.  Looks like At&t is going to beat xfinity to the punch, $35 a month is looking pretty good if you ask me.

Administrator
Administrator
Moved:

New Poster

Thanksgiving is this week! It was stated the Xfinity channel for Roku would be available by fall of 2016. I guess we won't be thanking Comcast for the app this year. Maybe they will release it by December 31st, so they can keep their word.

Regular Contributor

Trust me I feel your frustration. I bought my first roku box just for this app and even I cannot get any information on it. This morning I sent a email off to the president and vice president of engineering. I believe the people that make the Xfinity apps report to them. Hopefully I will hear something back from them.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thanks for your effort Rick, I was wondering once (if ever) we do get the app will the channels be in HD through the app if we are not paying for HD. I know I get ESPN and Discovery and a few other apps through Xfinity and they are n HD but unsure what they would look like through the Xfinity app?

New Poster

So do we wait to buy the latest Roku?  Will the app require a newer version making anyone of the ones we would buy now obsolete?

New Poster

The time it is taken to get this app is ridiculous. My daughter has TWC and their app is fabulous. It works just like the DVR Box. There is an app for the iPad, iPhone, Roku, Xbox and even Samsung tv. She only has one box in the house, pays less money than we do and has more channels. What's wrong with this picture? She's had this setup for years. Comcast used to have an app for the Xbox, but that went away. 

one month left in the year. 

New Poster

I do not have Xfinity TV.  I only have Xfinity internet.  Today I received from Comcast an offer to upgrade to Blast Plus with Streampix.  Without Xfinity TV and only a Roku box will I be able to watch the programming on Streampix through the Roku app or is there another method?  It says that you can "stream shows and movies with the Xfinity TV app.  Will this include Roku?

Regular Visitor

roku

I heard that XFINITY is going to be available on ROKU so we can do away with the top set boxes. when is this going to happen?,

Service Expert

Re: roku

ctizio wrote:

I heard that XFINITY is going to be available on ROKU so we can do away with the top set boxes. when is this going to happen?,

You can read the entire thread on this here:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/When-will-the-Xfinity-TV-app-be-available-on-ROKU/m-p/2799048#U2...

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Service Expert

Re: roku

ctizio wrote:

Comcast has not announced a roll-out date. Watch your Comcast billing account email for news and you may want to subscribe to twitter @comcast for news on services.

edit: and what geek said Smiley Happy

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Per this post that notes "your home network" as a requirement...does this mean that we will not be able to sign in and watch from a second household? That is, if I live in Chicago and have a roku/smart tv in Milwaukee, this won't work, and I still need a slingbox?

Thanks!
New Poster

I googled this question because I work for Time Warner and was telling my aunt about the feature using Roku with the Time Warner app. Thinking Comcast was superior to Time Warner, I just knew it was available up until we were on the phone with customer service a few minutes ago. Anyways to answer your question, if they do it like Time Warner, you have to have the cable and internet. It can recognize when your on your home network and will give you all the channels you subscribe to including OnDemand.
Regular Contributor

Yes to use the app on the roku box you will need to be on your home network. The app for phones and tablets will work anyplace.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

mordonez wrote:
Per this post that notes "your home network" as a requirement...does this mean that we will not be able to sign in and watch from a second household? That is, if I live in Chicago and have a roku/smart tv in Milwaukee, this won't work, and I still need a slingbox?

Thanks!

Correct. Comcast's terms of service do not allow use of a cable subscription for one home to be used in another location other than by members of the primary household for short periods of time (i.e. Travel). We offer specific "snowbird" packages (among other options) for 2nd homes.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

So the agent I spoke too, who said the application would be accesible via email and pass, like EVERYTHING else on ROKU, was LYING?

Cool, thanks ComcastDAN, I've cancelled my comcast service today, thanks to your information. At least your honest, and admit that your company's application on roku will not work as intended for most people. 

Good thing Playon has an xfinity app that works for those people who have to stick with comcast. I'll be moving over to directtv's streaming service, and leaving you guys in the dust, where you belong. 

Regular Contributor

I'm sorry but I do not see how the Roku app will not work as intended for most people. The app is designed to make a Roku box act like a cable box. It is not designed to share with family and friends so they do not have to pay for cable TV service. And I'm sure the agent did not intend to miss lead you. We are sad to see you leave and hope someday you will return as a customer.
Think Customer First

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Sounds like a delay-the-fools response to me. I've waited longer than I ever intended for this app to allow wireless TV access that Directv provides already. I will be switching in January if this app has not been released by then.

Contributor

RodneyPCB wrote:

Sounds like a delay-the-fools response to me. I've waited longer than I ever intended for this app to allow wireless TV access that Directv provides already. I will be switching in January if this app has not been released by then.

Same here, I was giving them to Thanksgiving but still no app but one of the Comcast people said something about " maybe" a beta test for the app 11-30 , so now I will give them till the end of the year than direct TV here I come, they even let you watch and install free in like 3 or 4 other rooms free. Seems Comcast doesn't care about their customers . The " think customer first thing is a joke" they are going to lose more customers than just us with their ways .

Service Expert

RodneyPCB wrote:

hi, another customer here. Just wondering why so much 'need' for the roku. Are you wanting to add Xfinity access to a location in your home without a current set top box, or perhaps to return a set top box and use the roku instead?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon