Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Contributor

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Comcast Dan, I really don't get it. I reused for another year for my service, as part of the deal, the rep gave me HD service and an HD box for free. I get HD on the box, my Android app, and in the window's app. Only the Roku app is now missing HD. They fixed this once after a three hour phone call, now with the last update, HD is no longer on Roku. I really should not have to spend another three hours to fix the issue. It is not worth the trouble, especially since the app has many more issues such as slow loading, no guide while watching live TV, and constant buffering. This app is no better than the poor app DIRECTV put out. I was willing to upgrade to a higher package if this worked, but as far as I can tell, you will be charging for each outlet, the app has issues, and it is probable I won't be able to access it away from home.
New Poster

Xfinity roku app

I have questions about the beta roku app. 

1) It was allowing my son to watch everything in his room, but after about an hour it would go back to our home screen. Does anyone have an idea what would cause that? 

2) To fix the first problem I thought I may have set a setting wrong so I removed the app the added it back, but now every time we try watching something we get "SORRY SOMETHING WENT WRONG TRY BACK LATER (ERROR DRM.-6) Does anyone know what the error code means?

Frequent Visitor

Same here, i get HD on my set top box and the android app, just not on Roku. I dont mind paying a little extra to have access to the app when that happens, but not going to pay extra to get it in HD when i already get HD everywhere else.
Contributor

So I go to catch up on Scandal and find that some but not all episodes are in HD. Same with Greys Anatomy and a couple series on CBS. Live channels HD is working fine. I call and get transferred to someone in apps department who tells me it is normal and that they sometimes dont get some episodes in HD. So I am wondering why we are paying an HD fee and not getting every on demand episode in HD. Seems like I am getting ripped off. Luckily there are the TV Everywhere apps where everything is in HD. But well part of the point of the Roku app is to save on data usage. Totally unsatisfactory.

***Update*** I didn't quite buy the explanation that Comcast sometimes gets episodes in SD only, so I checked those episodes on the Android Stream app and they are in HD on it. So I called the guy back and told him that, and now he agrees there is some problem. He had me unplug the Roku and plug it back in and when that didn't help he had me change the picture on the Roku from 1080p to 720p. That didn't work. So I told him some of the episodes and he said he will check on a Roku there and figure out what to do after that. Is anyone else not getting Scandal Season 6 Episodes 1 and 5 and Greys Anatomy Season 13 episodes 15 and 16 in HD on ABC on demand? I have tried signing out and signing back in and that didn't help. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that didn't help. I have Model: 4630X-Roku Premiere+, Software Version 7.5.1 build 4111-29. And Yes I am paying the HD Technology Fee. It was verified by the tech on the phone. As I said. The live HD works fine and most of the on demand content is there. It is just a few on demand episodes of a few series that are not in HD on the Roku app for some reason, but are in HD on the Android and web app and on the cable box.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, did this, i now have the "FORMAT" option in settings, but i still dont get any HD channels.
Regular Visitor

I seem to have to authorize and name my Roku device every time I go into the app.  It takes me 10 mins just to start watching tv.  Anyone else experiencing this?  How do I get the authorization to remain?

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity roku app

SandyJane1 wrote:

1) It was allowing my son to watch everything in his room, but after about an hour it would go back to our home screen. Does anyone have an idea what would cause that? 

2) To fix the first problem I thought I may have set a setting wrong so I removed the app the added it back, but now every time we try watching something we get "SORRY SOMETHING WENT WRONG TRY BACK LATER (ERROR DRM.-6) Does anyone know what the error code means?

DRM = digital rights management. If the roku is connected directly to a TV you should not see a DRM message. If it is connected directly to a TV then unplug and reseat the device or cable. If a cable, reseat both ends. To reseat, unplug and plug in the same socket several times. Did that fix the issue?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

bdw4791 wrote:

So I go to catch up on Scandal and find that some but not all episodes are in HD. Same with Greys Anatomy and a couple series on CBS. Live channels HD is working fine. I call and get transferred to someone in apps department who tells me it is normal and that they sometimes dont get some episodes in HD. So I am wondering why we are paying an HD fee and not getting every on demand episode in HD. Seems like I am getting ripped off. Luckily there are the TV Everywhere apps where everything is in HD. But well part of the point of the Roku app is to save on data usage. Totally unsatisfactory.

***Update*** I didn't quite buy the explanation that Comcast sometimes gets episodes in SD only, so I checked those episodes on the Android Stream app and they are in HD on it. So I called the guy back and told him that, and now he agrees there is some problem. He had me unplug the Roku and plug it back in and when that didn't help he had me change the picture on the Roku from 1080p to 720p. That didn't work. So I told him some of the episodes and he said he will check on a Roku there and figure out what to do after that. Is anyone else not getting Scandal Season 6 Episodes 1 and 5 and Greys Anatomy Season 13 episodes 15 and 16 in HD on ABC on demand? I have tried signing out and signing back in and that didn't help. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that didn't help. I have Model: 4630X-Roku Premiere+, Software Version 7.5.1 build 4111-29. And Yes I am paying the HD Technology Fee. It was verified by the tech on the phone. As I said. The live HD works fine and most of the on demand content is there. It is just a few on demand episodes of a few series that are not in HD on the Roku app for some reason, but are in HD on the Android and web app and on the cable box.

I checked a few of the episodes you reference in the XFINITY Stream app (iOS) and see no HD for Scandal S6 Ep1 and Grey's Anatomy S13 Ep16 (screenshot of this one is below). Note that in the apps you will see a "TV Go" version which is playable out of home but that content isn't available via the Roku app (i.e., Roku is in-home only content). I suspect you will find this same lack of HD content on your set-top box as well. 

However, I did see HD available on a couple. For example Scandal S6 Ep5. I don't have access to my Roku at the moment but would expect that to be available (perhaps it the original file was bad and recently redeliverd by the network).

IMG_0342.PNG

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Contributor

ComcastDan wrote:

bdw4791 wrote:

I checked a few of the episodes you reference in the XFINITY Stream app (iOS) and see no HD for Scandal S6 Ep1 and Grey's Anatomy S13 Ep16 (screenshot of this one is below). Note that in the apps you will see a "TV Go" version which is playable out of home but that content isn't available via the Roku app (i.e., Roku is in-home only content). I suspect you will find this same lack of HD content on your set-top box as well. 

However, I did see HD available on a couple. For example Scandal S6 Ep5. I don't have access to my Roku at the moment but would expect that to be available (perhaps it the original file was bad and recently redeliverd by the network).

IMG_0342.PNG

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Roku app and now Scandal Episode 5 and Greys Anatomy Episode 15 are in HD. But Scandal Episode 1 and Grey's Anatomy Episode 16 are not. I see what you mean about those episodes only being in HD on the Android and Web apps for TV Go. I checked my box and Episode 1 of Scandal is not available on the box. All of the episodes that are available are marked as HD though. ***Edit***( But last night when Scandal episode 5 was not available on the Roku app in HD I checked the tv box and that episode was available in HD on the box.) I checked Grey's Anatomy on the tv box and none of the episodes are marked HD so I checked a few other series and every show I checked doesn't have any episodes marked HD. I played an episode from Greys Anatomy and it had the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen so I am guessing that means it isn't in HD. Weird, it's an HD box of course and I am paying an HD Technology Fee so I don't know why almost all of the on demand content on the box would not be in HD. Perhaps what the tech told me was correct but there is the question of why last night episode 5 of Scandal was in HD on the tv box but not on the Roku app.

New Poster

I guess there's no fix yet for the loss of HD channels??
Contributor

Re: Xfinity roku app

Rustyben wrote:

SandyJane1 wrote:

DRM = digital rights management. If the roku is connected directly to a TV you should not see a DRM message. If it is connected directly to a TV then unplug and reseat the device or cable. If a cable, reseat both ends. To reseat, unplug and plug in the same socket several times. Did that fix the issue?

I have 3 roku's and 2 of them always get the DRM error. For some reason with the roku's connected to smart tv's always get the error. I have a dumb 55in and it never gets the DRM error. 

Official Employee

bdw4791 wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

bdw4791 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Roku app and now Scandal Episode 5 and Greys Anatomy Episode 15 are in HD. But Scandal Episode 1 and Grey's Anatomy Episode 16 are not. I see what you mean about those episodes only being in HD on the Android and Web apps for TV Go. I checked my box and Episode 1 of Scandal is not available on the box. All of the episodes that are available are marked as HD though. ***Edit***( But last night when Scandal episode 5 was not available on the Roku app in HD I checked the tv box and that episode was available in HD on the box.) I checked Grey's Anatomy on the tv box and none of the episodes are marked HD so I checked a few other series and every show I checked doesn't have any episodes marked HD. I played an episode from Greys Anatomy and it had the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen so I am guessing that means it isn't in HD. Weird, it's an HD box of course and I am paying an HD Technology Fee so I don't know why almost all of the on demand content on the box would not be in HD. Perhaps what the tech told me was correct but there is the question of why last night episode 5 of Scandal was in HD on the tv box but not on the Roku app.

I'll explain a little about how On Demand content gets into our system which may explain the discrepancy. There are 2 types of VOD (Video On Demand) content: 1) TV Everywhere (also know as "TV Go" content in the apps) which can be watched anywhere in the USA; and 2) "Title 6" VOD which is only available to watch while in your home and connected to your XFINITY network.  The TVE rights are separately negotiated with studios/networks and not always available (which explains why not everything is available to watch outside the home). TV Everywhere content isn't in the Roku app but is merged into the mobile apps and online portal.  The Title 6 (in-home only) content delivered to the Roku and apps should match what is available on your set-top box. However, there are a couple extra steps in the pipeline to make it available so there could be delays in certain situations.

Both types of VOD content are sent to Comcast by the networks themselves. The TV Everywhere (TVE) content comes via a separate path than the in-home content.  In both cases, once the content is "pitched" by the networks, the "mezzanine" (high quality) files are then transcoded into multiple formats and matched up with the "metadata" (information about the show such as season, episode, cast, and etc.). There is a QA (quality assurance) process along the way - some automated and some manual. If a versions of the VOD content fails QA, we reject the submission and ask the network to "repitch" the "asset" (video file) or correct the "metadata". Sometimes QA misses issues (e.g. distorted audio or incorrectly marked commercial break locations). In these cases, we have a team of people with "eyes on glass" (watching via the products) and get feedback from customers like yourself which then go to the content team to correct (usually in conjunction with the networks/studios).

Probably too much detail already... but, as you can see, there are several points of potential failure which can cause a delay in VOD availability which is largely out of Comcast's control and requires close cooperation with the networks to resolve. There are things we can and are doing to speed up some of the processing and more quickly alert programmers to missing versions (episodes in the middle of a season with in-home availability but without TV Everywhere versions are the WORST!). With about 40,000 On Demand choices available at any time, the system works pretty well - but as you point out - it still isn't perfect.

Hope this peak behind the curtain helps explain some of what you are experiencing in the products!

Best,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Contributor

ComcastDan wrote:

I'll explain a little about how On Demand content gets into our system which may explain the discrepancy. There are 2 types of VOD (Video On Demand) content: 1) TV Everywhere (also know as "TV Go" content in the apps) which can be watched anywhere in the USA; and 2) "Title 6" VOD which is only available to watch while in your home and connected to your XFINITY network.  The TVE rights are separately negotiated with studios/networks and not always available (which explains why not everything is available to watch outside the home). TV Everywhere content isn't in the Roku app but is merged into the mobile apps and online portal.  The Title 6 (in-home only) content delivered to the Roku and apps should match what is available on your set-top box. However, there are a couple extra steps in the pipeline to make it available so there could be delays in certain situations.

Both types of VOD content are sent to Comcast by the networks themselves. The TV Everywhere (TVE) content comes via a separate path than the in-home content.  In both cases, once the content is "pitched" by the networks, the "mezzanine" (high quality) files are then transcoded into multiple formats and matched up with the "metadata" (information about the show such as season, episode, cast, and etc.). There is a QA (quality assurance) process along the way - some automated and some manual. If a versions of the VOD content fails QA, we reject the submission and ask the network to "repitch" the "asset" (video file) or correct the "metadata". Sometimes QA misses issues (e.g. distorted audio or incorrectly marked commercial break locations). In these cases, we have a team of people with "eyes on glass" (watching via the products) and get feedback from customers like yourself which then go to the content team to correct (usually in conjunction with the networks/studios).

Probably too much detail already... but, as you can see, there are several points of potential failure which can cause a delay in VOD availability which is largely out of Comcast's control and requires close cooperation with the networks to resolve. There are things we can and are doing to speed up some of the processing and more quickly alert programmers to missing versions (episodes in the middle of a season with in-home availability but without TV Everywhere versions are the WORST!). With about 40,000 On Demand choices available at any time, the system works pretty well - but as you point out - it still isn't perfect.

Hope this peak behind the curtain helps explain some of what you are experiencing in the products!

Best,

ComcastDan

Thanks ComcastDan. I can accept that as an explanation for the few on demand episodes not in HD on the Roku app. I can't accept it as an explanation for having almost no on demand content on the set top box in HD though. But this forum is about the Roku app, and also I wouldn't watch on demand content on the set top box any way as long as your Roku beta app and the TV Everywhere apps are available.

***Update*** I have Internet Plus which has Limited Basic TV and does not come with the X1 box. So I have the old Motorola HD TV box. I was searching on demand by show and almost no shows were showing up in HD.(***Update*** I just searched by show again and I noticed that they are categorized by letters of the alphabet and there is the option for SD and HD in each alphabetical category. I don't know how I missed that before. Sorry.) But I just searched by network and when doing that all the shows had the SD and the HD option. 

***ComcastDan I can't figure out how to mark your post as a solution or I would. Thanks for explaining.***

Frequent Visitor

Turned this back on after using an antenna so I can watch HD for free and see there's no update yet which is a shame. A few suggestions I have are...

1) HD should be included free with everything at this point. When a basic $10 antenna gets you free HD it time Comcast gets with the times and gets rid of the fee. My local stations are broadcast in HD only so Comcast is literally downgrading the signal and trying to charge me a fee for it. How this isn't criminal I'll never know.

2) Come out with a new plan with 200mbps internet and a streaming only package with different levels depending on the number of Rokus being used simultaneously.

It's time to get with the times or be left behind. Comcast was always the leader in technology and innovation but have fallen light years behind in the streaming age and it's to the point people will just choose to move on. The problem I see mostly is greed. Comcast 100% put a data cap to prevent people from leaving and going with DirecTV Now, Sling TV, PSVUE etc. That and the ones that do stay will have to pay more for unlimited as 4k streaming being the norm is just around the corner. The HD.... Sigh...Like I already stated, once the digital format became the norm a few years ago this fee should have been dropped.
Contributor

I agree we should not be paying extra for HD since it is the standard now. Cable and internet service are outrageously priced as it is and they shouldn't be tacking on extra fees for things like HD and for using the Roku app. The only reason I subscribed to their TV service is because A) the Roku app allowing me to watch live local channels through the Roku and they offered me a deal on Internet Plus that was lower than I was paying for Performance 25 internet alone. With the HD fee and broadcast networks fees and taxes it will only be around $5 more than I was paying for internet alone and if they charge me $7.50 for the Roku app it will be $12.50 more than internet alone. It includes Showtime at no additional charge which is an $11 value. So it's a good deal. When the 12 month promotional rate ends it will increase to only $7.50 more than the internet only non promotional rate would be. I got a booklet in the mail shortly after I upgraded to that plan and it showed the regular cost of Internet Plus to be $25 more than I was told it would be after my promotional rate ends. So I called them and asked again what my regular rate would be after the promotional rate ends and told them what the booklet says and they assured me that I would be getting the regular price I was told when I signed up. If it ever does go up to what it says in the pricing booklet they sent me then I will cancel and get Hulu and the new Mohu Airwave antenna that is coming out soon to watch local channels live. Its just me with 1 TV, a Roku, 1 PC, 1 smartphone, so I only use a fraction of the data they allot each month and I have the option to go elsewhere for TV if I can get a better deal.

New Poster

I recently installed the beta app on Roku but didn't realize that the service would only be available on Comcast's internet network.  Since our vacation home is located in WI we do not have access to their internet service.  When available, will the cable-only gateway equipment allow us to use the service on the Roku app outside of Comcast's coverage area?  I guess I'm not sure why I can stream Xfinity from anywhere on a computer or mobile device but can't cast it to the television set.  Why does Comcast differentiate the two ways of using their service at this point.  Finally, is there a way to set up a VPN at our home outside of Comcast's coverage to make their network think we're accessing their service from our home which has service?  Thank you.

Contributor

Roku will not workout side of your home. Doesn't matter what type of modem or gateway you have. If you setup a vpn then the roku devices will work outside of the home.

Regular Visitor

Using the beta app on a TCL Roku TV and seeing stability issues. The Xfinity app appears to clog up memory/resources, even after I exit the app. Other apps like Netflix stutter and freeze after I've run Xfinity, even if I shut the TV off and restart. Only a complete power cycle (unplug) seems to restore normal operation after using the Xfinity channel.

Contributor

stephndudb wrote:

Using the beta app on a TCL Roku TV and seeing stability issues. The Xfinity app appears to clog up memory/resources, even after I exit the app. Other apps like Netflix stutter and freeze after I've run Xfinity, even if I shut the TV off and restart. Only a complete power cycle (unplug) seems to restore normal operation after using the Xfinity channel.

Try refreshing your network connection on your tv. 

New Poster

I am not sure where best to provide beta test feedback, so this thread seems like it will do the trick.  

• The number of clicks to get to a particular show in the On Demand menu is extremely high.  While I am dealing with it, this could be mitigated with the addition of a favorites menu that lists only shows identified as favorites.
  • I notice that my Roku has to do a complete restart frequently when I click the back button on the app to try and return to the previous screen.  I have not identified any other part of the pattern yet, beyond just the back button.
  • When watching Live TV, the TV listing does not refresh to the current time when you use the back button to return to the listings. This requires that you push back to the main menu and then reenter the TV listing page in order to get to the current shows.  This could be solved by updating the listings when the back button is used to return to them.
  • Could the Original Air Date be added to the TV listings in On Demand menus? It is very difficult to find where we left off in episodes based on the information that displays.
  • Is there a way to add an indicator if a show will have the restriction on fast fowarding?  This is an issue when selecting a show that I fall asleep to and then have no way to "finish" without starting all over

I have to say that while I am not a fan of the app structure or the requirement to pay for HD, I LOVE that I can stream TV without it counting against my data cap.  Our household flirts with the limit within 100 gigs each month and this app has dropped us to where that is no longer an issue.  Would I rather watch half the stuff on Hulu even with the commercials? Yep...it's a cleaner app and easier to use.  I even go to Hulu to identify what shows I haven't watched yet and then switch to Xfinity to search and watch them.  That said, as long as this does not hit my data cap I will continue to suffer through using it and hope it gets better as we provide feedback.

New Poster

Xfinity Roku App Not Working

The Xfinity app had been working without issue on my Roku until now. I get error code DRM.0. It is working fine on a Roku installed on another TV. I reinstalled the app but that did not resolve the issue. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity Roku App Not Working

kpd77 wrote:

The Xfinity app had been working without issue on my Roku until now. I get error code DRM.0. It is working fine on a Roku installed on another TV. I reinstalled the app but that did not resolve the issue. Any help would be much appreciated. 

did you try power unplug reset of device and TV? Did you reseat the HDMI connection (both ends) several times to refresh the electrical connections?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Rustyben - thank you! I just did that and it resolved the issue immediately. Very much appreciate the help!

Frequent Visitor

My xfinity channel disappeared from my roku. 

New Poster

I checked tonight and noticed the app updated to 1.1.6
No HD fix yet.
Contributor

Comcast, this has to be one of the lamest excuses for a BETA, that I have ever seen. If you keep posting updated versions, how about providing some kind of clue about what the new version has either fixed or added. The entire purpose of a BETA is to allow people to test it with some insight into current issues! A simple list of known problems and fixes could actually help you.

Contributor

plummerl wrote:

Comcast, this has to be one of the lamest excuses for a BETA, that I have ever seen. If you keep posting updated versions, how about providing some kind of clue about what the new version has either fixed or added. The entire purpose of a BETA is to allow people to test it with some insight into current issues! A simple list of known problems and fixes could actually help you.

Comcast will post the info shortly. They did for 1.1.5 if you go back to page 1. 

Regular Visitor

Still massive buffering until a death freeze in other apps like Netflix after using the Xfinity app on my Roku TV. Complete power disconnect only fix. Would NEVER pay for this service.
Contributor

JoeB86 wrote:

plummerl wrote:

Comcast will post the info shortly. They did for 1.1.5 if you go back to page 1. 

The first post was updated but there is only a 3 item list of changes, not a simple list of known issues.  I would love to see a list of known problems/bugs.

New Poster

So there is a v2.0 coming next month according to the first page of this forum. 

The part about the renaming to xfinity stream does not bode well.

Below is a Comcast page about the xfinity stream app as it exists now in its limited release to certain markets and the charges. Let us hope against all hope that there are no charges in store for the future. I for one have been an advocate for this app with the expectation that this would likely become a niche product for a relatively small portion of users. Realistically I cannot see all comcast customers going this route. Alas, the lack of real back and forth in this forum with real comcast folks (apologies comcastdan) makes me worry that this was nothing more than govt appeasement under the now lifted Obama administration mandate to find ways to remove stbs.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/stream-faqs/?currentTopicId=624fac04-667f-42de-88d8-ef79da5...

I was never naive enough to not expect charges but I suppose one can always hope eh?

Service Expert

ftrain99 wrote:

Below is a Comcast page about the xfinity stream app as it exists now in its limited release to certain markets and the charges. Let us hope against all hope that there are no charges in store for the future. I for one have been an advocate for this app with the expectation that this would likely become a niche product for a relatively small portion of users. Realistically I cannot see all comcast customers going this route. Alas, the lack of real back and forth in this forum with real comcast folks (apologies comcastdan) makes me worry that this was nothing more than govt appeasement under the now lifted Obama administration mandate to find ways to remove stbs.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/stream-faqs/?currentTopicId=624fac04-667f-42de-88d8-ef79da5...

I was never naive enough to not expect charges but I suppose one can always hope eh?

Stream service is based upon no comcast set top boxes. You get the cloud DVR and access to the programs on your devices.

The Stream App allows you to access your Cloud DVR recrodings and other on-demand programs as well as many stream anywhere channels and while in the home your entire programming is available.

Why fret about what charges may be for using a Roku, it is free now and that is purpose of the beta to test and improve until full release.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

ftrain99 wrote:

Stream service is based upon no comcast set top boxes. You get the cloud DVR and access to the programs on your devices.

The Stream App allows you to access your Cloud DVR recrodings and other on-demand programs as well as many stream anywhere channels and while in the home your entire programming is available.

Why fret about what charges may be for using a Roku, it is free now and that is purpose of the beta to test and improve until full release.

Why fret about what charges may be for using a ROKU??????

Are you absolutely O)U*#$()U#???????

So the purpose of the BETA is to test and improve an app that we were led to believe would be a no cost option, when in fact it appears that it will be nothing approaching that? In all these months of BETA exposure and the intended users of this ROKU channel being led to believe that it would be a no cost option, you think that we should just willingly perform a BETA test for the benefit of COMCAST?

Unbelievable.

If we should feel privledged to spend time BETA testing a ROKU channel for the benefit of COMCAST, and then to begin charging us to use the channel after the BETA, you're on the wrong planet.

Contributor

JoeB86 wrote:

plummerl wrote:

Please read the post on page 1, as you have apparently not done that.

What you will see is the posting from 1/31/2017 announcing the release of the BETA. Above that is a new posting (3/22/2017) with regards to a release on 4/10/2017, this being V2.0.x. So we're going from a TV Roku App to a Stream Beta app on Roku. This is so exciting, I can't wait! Update heaven!

Please tell me how this explains away my complaint.

Oh, and what exactly is "University access/support"???????

I can't wait.

Contributor

ftrain99 wrote:

The Android and IOS apps as well as the xfinity.tv website have been rebranded to xfinitystream, so I think this change is just branding.

Service Expert

plummerl wrote:

JoeB86 wrote:

plummerl wrote:

Please read the post on page 1, as you have apparently not done that.

What you will see is the posting from 1/31/2017 announcing the release of the BETA. Above that is a new posting (3/22/2017) with regards to a release on 4/10/2017, this being V2.0.x. So we're going from a TV Roku App to a Stream Beta app on Roku. This is so exciting, I can't wait! Update heaven!

Please tell me how this explains away my complaint.

Oh, and what exactly is "University access/support"???????

I can't wait.

some universities and colleges have xfinity service in dorms, etc. The Roku beta is adding the university access to the Roku beta test.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

So I just tried to fire up the Xfinity Tv app and at first it complained that I wasn't on the Xfinity home Wifi.  I have the Xfinity modem with built in wi-fi and I have a separate router that all my devices use for Wifi that sits wired behind it.  Initially the Roku was connected to that Wifi.  I change the Roku to use the Xfinity router Wifi directly and I get the same error after I authorize the connection.  I have Internet and TV service and I have 2 cablecards each in a Tivo box.  But I am definitely using my Xfinity Wifi to connect, not sure why I'm getting unauthorized errors.  The exact error is:

Welcome!

This device can only access XFINITY TV on you in-home XFINITY Wifi.  Use the app on your smartphone, tablet or laptop to watch on the go, any time you like.

Exit App

(error createDRMSession.403.102)

Any help is appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

While it came out as alpha it has reached the beta stage. But don't forget it is proprietary and not open source
Frequent Visitor

Really really hoping that with this new branding release, they will choose to allow streaming in HD without having to pay the technology fee just like they do on their IOS and Android Xfinity stream applications.

Service Expert

DarrinCanote wrote:

Really really hoping that with this new branding release, they will choose to allow streaming in HD without having to pay the technology fee just like they do on their IOS and Android Xfinity stream applications.

for traditional home cable subscriptions, your local HD channels are allowed in HD without the fee. is that causing the confusion?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

The app appeared again, now, I have to keep entering a code from xfinity.com/activate. I enter the code, my ipad says sucess and my roku xfinity channel tells me welcome to xfinity please log on to xfinity and enter the code, over and over. 

Frequent Visitor

I restarted my roku and it works now. 

New Poster

Re: XFINITY TV on Roku

Hi Comcast Jessie. This news is extrememly exciting to me since my house is very old and running additional cablts for new outlets is next to impossible; however, I noticed one ENORMOUSLY disappointing note in your updates. That note is that once the beta test concludes and a "full" app is launched, there are going to be standard fees for using this app? So this means that despite the fact that we will have dropped $30-$120 on a Roku device, that we are still not going to avoid the $9.95/ month outlet fee for an additional box? Where is the savings? It was my impression that this app was supposed to have benefits on 2 fronts. The first being the fact that you wouldn't need to run new wires in your house (just use your WiFi instead), and the second being the fact that you'd avoid the $9.95/month rental fee for a box. Once again, this news is very disappointing. I hope Xfinity realizes this and can work out a better structure that actually saves the costumers hassle AND a reasonable amount of money. 

Contributor

Evergreen19 wrote:

Hi Comcast Jessie. This news is extrememly exciting to me since my house is very old and running additional cablts for new outlets is next to impossible; however, I noticed one ENORMOUSLY disappointing note in your updates. That note is that once the beta test concludes and a "full" app is launched, there are going to be standard fees for using this app? So this means that despite the fact that we will have dropped $30-$120 on a Roku device, that we are still not going to avoid the $9.95/ month outlet fee for an additional box? Where is the savings? It was my impression that this app was supposed to have benefits on 2 fronts. The first being the fact that you wouldn't need to run new wires in your house (just use your WiFi instead), and the second being the fact that you'd avoid the $9.95/month rental fee for a box. Once again, this news is very disappointing. I hope Xfinity realizes this and can work out a better structure that actually saves the costumers hassle AND a reasonable amount of money. 

Roku Might cost $7.45 per device. Using the roku gives you the option to be able to watch tv anywhere in the home without running wires. Offers to have all the streaming services on one device. Not limited to slow software updates on a normal cable box. Only reason I'm playing around with the app because its free right now. Still needs a lot of work.

New Poster

I've had the xfinity app installed in my roku for a few weeks and besides the app asking to re-activate my (same) device several times it's worked great.  But three days ago it will not re-activate.  I keep getting the same message on the app after I enter the code.  

"Device can only access XFINITY TV on your inhome xfinity wifi.use the app on your smartphone.......   error createdrmsession.403-102)

ive restarted my modem and router, and removed and reinstalled the xfinity app.  I keep getting the same message.  Any suggestions?

Contributor

RudyRudeDog wrote:

I've had the xfinity app installed in my roku for a few weeks and besides the app asking to re-activate my (same) device several times it's worked great.  But three days ago it will not re-activate.  I keep getting the same message on the app after I enter the code.  

"Device can only access XFINITY TV on your inhome xfinity wifi.use the app on your smartphone.......   error createdrmsession.403-102)

ive restarted my modem and router, and removed and reinstalled the xfinity app.  I keep getting the same message.  Any suggestions?

Why does the app say I need to be on my home network? I am on my home network!
Be sure you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network and not the network called "XFINITYwifi," which is a WiFi hotspot that guests who are XFINITY Internet customers can use, so you don't need to give out your password. If your modem or gateway is provided by XFINITY, the network name is usually on the side or bottom of the modem or gateway. If you're not sure, just give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY, and we can walk you through it.

New Poster

Options
RudyRudeDog wrote:
I've had the xfinity app installed in my roku for a few weeks and besides the app asking to re-activate my (same) device several times it's worked great. But three days ago it will not re-activate. I keep getting the same message on the app after I enter the code.

"Device can only access XFINITY TV on your inhome xfinity wifi.use the app on your smartphone....... error createdrmsession.403-102)

ive restarted my modem and router, and removed and reinstalled the xfinity app. I keep getting the same message. Any suggestions?
Why does the app say I need to be on my home network? I am on my home network!
Be sure you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network and not the network called "XFINITYwifi," which is a WiFi hotspot that guests who are XFINITY Internet customers can use, so you don't need to give out your password. If your modem or gateway is provided by XFINITY, the network name is usually on the side or bottom of the modem or gateway. If you're not sure, just give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY, and we can walk you through it.

The Roku is joined to my private home network. It's the same that was networked some time ago when it worked.

Frequent Visitor

If someone asked my opinion of this service so far I'd have to say it is WORTHLESS. Do not pay for it or subscribe thinking you can use this. I'd say 70% of the time my experience has been spent receiving 1 of 2 errors. Either I'm not on my home network, which of course I am, how else would I be online? Then the other error being DRM.-6 which I have no idea what this is but it's been the most common one recently.

On the off chance I do get the service to work, it's been fantastic being able to stream live TV in HD or catching up with shows on demand. However that's been few and far in between of frustration of clicking half a dozen times to get to something I want to watch only to receive an error. Then having to exit out and find the app for that network so I can stream it that way. I'd much rather use your app since it's all in one, even with all of its incessant clicking, but it's just not even an option due to errors. 

Contributor

iceman413 wrote:

If someone asked my opinion of this service so far I'd have to say it is WORTHLESS. Do not pay for it or subscribe thinking you can use this. I'd say 70% of the time my experience has been spent receiving 1 of 2 errors. Either I'm not on my home network, which of course I am, how else would I be online? Then the other error being DRM.-6 which I have no idea what this is but it's been the most common one recently.

On the off chance I do get the service to work, it's been fantastic being able to stream live TV in HD or catching up with shows on demand. However that's been few and far in between of frustration of clicking half a dozen times to get to something I want to watch only to receive an error. Then having to exit out and find the app for that network so I can stream it that way. I'd much rather use your app since it's all in one, even with all of its incessant clicking, but it's just not even an option due to errors. 

If the app wasn't beta I'd agree with you. It a start in the right direction and one can only hope it gets better before having to pay to use it. Hopefully comcast is reading the feedback and going to fix the issues. 

New Poster

I keep getting Error createDrmSession.403-102 on my home network. It's just not worth me calling in for, since there is no way that I'm going to pay a fee when this goes live. Really wish I could have tested out the app. Thanks anyway.

New Poster

Re: ROKU: first HD channels disappeared, now PBS Create is gone

Yes, my HD channels disappeared as well. Very annoying!