New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Posted by
Administrator

Message 160 of 1,717

As of, 01/31/2017 at 1:00 PM EST, we are pleased to announce the release of the Xfinity BETA TV app on  ROKU devices.

The Xfinity TV Beta app on Roku is available in the Roku Channel Store! The Beta trial allows XFINITY TV customers to access their XFINITY TV cable service, including live and On Demand programming as well as cloud DVR recordings (for X1 Cloud DVR customers), on a Roku streaming device or Roku TV.

What programming and features will be available with the XFINITY TV partner app?

• XFINITY Guide
  • Live and On Demand programming, including:
    • Local broadcasts
    • Cable programming
    • Premium networks
    • Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) Channels
  • Cloud DVR recordings

Eligibility:

• Customers must purchase their own Roku device and device must be on firmware version 7.5
    • Compatible Roku Devices:
      • Roku TV (5XXX, 6XXX: Models within the 5000 and 6000 range)
      • Streaming Stick (3600)
      • Express (3700, 3710)
      • Express+ (3710)
      • Premiere (4620)
      • Premiere+ (4630)
      • Ultra (4640)
      • Roku 4 (4400)
      • Roku 3 (4200, 4230)
      • Roku 2 (4210)

**Note: The XFINITY TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices.**

• XFINITY TV (Legacy or X1) and Internet Customer; or a Stream TV Customer:
  • Legacy or X1 Customer: Requires a Video subscription, and Comcast Internet with Device (No Internet speed tier restrictions)
  • Stream TV Customer: Wireless Gateway Access Required (No Internet speed tier restrictions)

**Note: Customers of 3rd party Internet Service Providers will be able to use the Roku app in a future phase**

• Existing XFINITY TV App users are eligible to use the XFINITY TV Partner App - Beta - Roku, with an eligible Roku device.
  • If you are a current XFINITY Internet customer, you don't need any additional equipment because your Internet gateway can also be used as your cable service gateway. If you're not an XFINITY Internet customer, we are working hard to make cable-only gateway equipment available soon.
  • During this Beta phase, due to technical limitations, customers using the XFINITY TV Beta app on Roku (other than Stream customers) can only use that app on secondary TV outlets and will need to have at least one Comcast-provided TV box in their home. You do not have to connect the Comcast-provided TV box and Roku to the same TV.

Getting Started:

• Once we launch, Customers can access the XFINITY TV Beta App from XFINITY Channel in Roku Channel Store
  • Customers will need to activate their device and sign in with XFINITY credentials to enjoy benefits of the XFINITY TV App
    • See Activation Process
  • There will be no additional outlet charge for the Roku device during the Beta trial; standard charges may apply after the trial.

Activation Process:

1.PNG

1. When using the App for the first time, with is the screen you will see when you launch the app. Click the “Get Started” button to continue.

Roku 3.png

1. This screen lets you know how to activate/authorize your device. You must go to xfinity.com/authorize form a mobile, tablet or desktop device web browser (not from the Roku device).

Roku4.png

1. From the web browser (not the Roku device) enter the six digit code provided form the Roku screen.

Roku5.png

1. From the web browser (not Roku), enter your XFINITY username and password, then select “Sign In”.

Roku6.png

1. Success! The web browser will display a message, that the Roku device screen will update shortly.

Roku.PNG

1. Activating device loading screen. Customer has entered activation code and authenticated with XFINITY login. The Roku screen will let you know your device is being activated.

Roku7.png

1. On the Roku device you must select “Yes’ to continue. If you select “No Thanks”, you will go back to step 1. **Note: Only Cloud DVR users will see the bottom paragraph (under “Terms of Activation”.**

Roku2.PNG

1. On the Roku device, name your device.

Roku8.jpg 

1. Home Screen on the Roku device. You are now ready to use the App!

Frequently Asked Questions:

What Roku devices can I use the app with?

• Eligible devices are listed above. The XFINITY TV Beta channel will only appear in the channel store for eligible devices.

Is there a charge for using a Roku device?

• There will be no additional outlet charge during the Beta trial for using a Roku device.

Can Customers return their Set Top Boxes and use a Roku instead?

• During the Beta Trial, customers must keep their primary Set Top Box, but additional Set Top Boxes can be returned. They will not receive a Customer Owned and Managed equipment credit because we are not charging an Additional Outlet fee at this time.

I’m an XFINITY X1 Customer. Can I keep my X1 Set Top Boxes?

• The Beta App gives you the option of getting Xfinity TV on a Roku device, but if you’re happy with your X1 boxes you can keep them. The X1 entertainment operating system delivers an interactive TV experience. With X1 your voice is your remote control, you can turn your TV into a scoreboard with real-time scores and stats, stream life’s moments live from your smartphone to your TV, and take advantage of built in Apps such as: Comcast Voicemail, XFINITY My Account App, Pandora, Netflix, Weather and Traffic.

Can I take my Roku device to my friend’s house, or vacation home and access XTV Partner App – Roku Beta App?

• The Beta App provides access to your in-home Xfinity cable service only.

How many Roku devices can a Customer use?

• Customers can stream up to 5 devices simultaneously, with a total of 45 devices registered on the account. The streaming total of 5 simultaneously includes Roku devices, mobile devices (iPad, tablets, phones), and computers.

Does using the XFINITY TV Partner App: Beta – Roku count against my Internet data usage?

• No, the Xfinity TV Beta App delivers an in-home cable service over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet. Therefore, the Beta app usage will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage.

Can I purchase a Roku device from Comcast?

• At the present time, no. Future phases will include the ability to purchase new devices from Comcast.

Wireless Network Connectivity Tips:

For an optimum streaming experience on a Roku device or TV, keep within range of the wireless router. Avoid placing on top of other devices, and keep clear of obstructions. Do not place in an enclosed area or direct sunlight. To receive a stronger wireless signal, try moving or rotating into different positions. Even a few inches can help.

For additional information about the Xfinity TV App on Roku see the following links:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps/navigating-roku-app

To learn more about the Xfinity TV app for Roku and provide feedback, visit www.xfinity.com/xfinitytvbeta

***UPDATE 04/10/2017***

The following updates will be made on 04/10/2017 on the Roku Version 2.0 release:

• The XFINITY TV Roku App will be renamed to XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku
  • XFINITY customers will now have access to and be able to view purchases
  • University access/support

***UPDATE 09/18/2017***

The following updates have been made with the release of the XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku (v2.2.3):

• Rename On Demand section to Browse, and add additional menus 
    • This was completed last month for iOS, Android and the Web Portal
    • Within Browse, Customers can browse Live TV and On Demand programs by TV, Movies, Networks, Sports, Kids, News and Latino
  • Addition of programmed rows in Browse and For You that link directly to live content 
  • Addition of audio guide (voice over) functionality on certain Roku devices
    • Access by navigating to Settings > Accessibility > Audio Guide
  • Addition of Common Sense Media badging on TV series entities
  • Updated images for Sports entities  

If you are experiencing any issues with the App or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know on this thread.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
1,716 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 1,717

When will a Xfinity TV app be available on ROKU??

I need to use it with the new stream service I purchased

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 2 of 1,717

I installed the Watch Foodnetwork app and the Watch HGTV app on my IPad and was able to activate since Xfinity/Comcast was a listed provider-----however on my Roku when I installed the Watch Foodnetwork Channel and the Watch HGTV Channel I couldn't activate because Xfinity/Comcast is not a listed provider----WHY NOT?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 1,717

great question and would love to see an answer on this.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 1,717

I want answers to this too!? Why oh why? No HGTV or Food Channel...come on Comcast, we pay lots for your service!

Noreenie wrote:

I installed the Watch Foodnetwork app and the Watch HGTV app on my IPad and was able to activate since Xfinity/Comcast was a listed provider-----however on my Roku when I installed the Watch Foodnetwork Channel and the Watch HGTV Channel I couldn't activate because Xfinity/Comcast is not a listed provider----WHY NOT?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 1,717

Time Warner has their own app on Roku, which allows you to view any of their channels via Roku.  I haven't seen it, but I have heard that Cox has the same thing.  Why doesn't Xfinity have this? We have a home in the Atlanta area where we have Xfinity X1.  We want to watch local Atlanta shows and regional sports on a TV at our home in Texas where we have Time Warner without having to run it through a tablet or smartphone.  We can do it with a Slingbox, but it would be much simpler if Xfinity had a Roku app like the other major cable providers.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 1,717

It is very disappointing to see that there are no plans for an Xfinity app for Roku, especially given that the other major cable TV providers (Time Warner, Cox) have apps for Roku (and especially given how much we pay for Xfinity X1).  We have Xfinity X1 at our home in the Atlanta area and Time Warner at our home in Texas.  We want to be able to watch local Atlanta shows and regional sports on a TV at our home in Texas without tying up a computer or tablet.  We can do this with a Slingbox, but it would be much simpler to do it via a Roku app.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 7 of 1,717

I agree with OP it's terribly frustrating swapping back and forth from roku when I'm watching netflix and vudu then back to comcast. Also when I travel I want to be able to take my Roku with me to watch NESN on the road so I don't miss any Bruins games.. I can stream the NBCSN games from my tablet via the xfinity tv go ap, but NESN isn't provided on that app. Comcast. come up with some solution to let us watch our local stuff while we're on the road. I don't see how time warner can and you can't and yet you want to declare yourselves the best cable company...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 1,717

I suggest filing a Better Business Bureau complaint, in order to get Comcast's attention. Whether Comcast believes it or not having access to those apps allows them to increase their customer base because I consider their prices more resonable than their competitors. I think we should bring this to their attention. I am filing one today because I love watching Food Network, I want access to all of the content, especially if I pay for a subscription to their channel. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 1,717

Will my ROKU pick up Xfinity to GO?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 10 of 1,717

I am so disappointed with Comcast Xfinity.  I was told that I would be able to stream many channels that are just not available...and with the Roku...Charter Spectrum and many others allow access to their app on Roku...but with Xfinity / Comcast you can't even get the stations that you pay for, more less the app...seems like Xfinity is very incompetent?  I have found that a computer is best....better than the service providers and ROKU...everything that they offer, and more, is usually available via a PC at the individual websites...like CBS PBS HBO etc...CBS shows more than one day old are free on a PC...but you have to pay on the ROKU app etc...  I bought the ROKU for convience...but I think that I will now return it, as a PC is much better...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 1,717

This would be great to allow TV watching without running new cables and adding another box.  Perhaps since soon we might have regulations stopping comcast from charging so much for Box's this will be allowed.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 1,717

This is just one more reason that Comcast is the most hated company in the US.  I'm trying to get MTV on my Roku and they aren't listed as a provider.  

Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 1,717

I agree with you and we need a answer to this. They have an agreement with them for the watch foodnetwork app for phones but not for roku. Makes no sense at all

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 1,717

That's the name of the game right there.  Comcast doesn't WANT us to be able to get rid of a box we have to pay monthly rates for.  The only thing that will stop this is not legislation or the Government.  It never does because it's too easy for Comcast to pay off the politicians.  No, the only thing that will stop this is COMPETITION.  This is why I'm seriously going to look at Google Fiber (I live in Nashville).  I've been a Comcast customer for 15 years.  Comcast.....give me some reasons to continue.  Give us a Roku TV streaming App for in home network use.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 1,717

Even if there is not an Xfinity Roku app, we should be able activate the channels we like to watch on Roku in bedroom without setting up a laptop.  Xfinity appears to be the only major providers which is not activation codes.  I am in the process of migrating from Direct TV to Xfinity and this was a big surprise,  I have a 30 day guarantee and holding off canceling Direc TV for another week to fully understand this and my other surprises. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 1,717

There is a list of well over 100 tv service providers that work with Roku listed at the Roku site.  Comcast/Xfinity is the only major tv service provider who refuses to work with Roku or any other companies that provide a similar service such as Amazon TV.  This action fits in with Comcast's notorious poor customer service.  We have paid for these channels with Comcast yet they will not let use Roku to  view these channels.  We need to complain to the FCC and BBB possibly politicians,  but most of the politicians are already in the pockets of companies like Comcast.

In Europe, the lines, infrastructure for internet and tv service is owned by the government and companies like Comcast have to compete to provide tv services.  The result is about half the cost of what we pay and the customers receive much better service.  More competition works.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 1,717

Centurylink Prism has just released a roku app too ...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 1,717
This is very disappointing considering when we had xfinity installed we were told that the signal into our apartment was too weak to have another box installed and apparently fixing the signal strength wasn't on the techs agenda. So we have Roku in the bedroom since xfinity wouldn't install in the bedroom and we watch 75% of our tv in bed... perhaps it is time for us to cut the cord on our tv service.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 1,717
That's exactly right!!
Posted by
Admin1

Message 20 of 1,717

Hi IChaudhry -- Apologies for the tech. I reviewed your account and the health check on it showed great signal strength. It is common for apartments to have restrictions on wiring new outlets in their units. Is that what you were trying to have to done or were you asking for the tech to just run cable to a box? 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 1,717

Aren't there new FCC regs out there that make this app a necessity? I thought the day of the extra digital converter set-top boxes was over and we would be able to view our subscribed TV through any streaming device. This better include ROKU. Of course Comcast will be fighting this tooth and nail when ALL their customers want this to happen. Maybe be nice to us and we'll be happier customers. Just sayin' maybe it is time to listen to what your customers want instead of nickel and diming us to death with forced equipment and over charges (not to mention fees that pretty much don't need to be taken from us).

Posted by
Admin1

Message 22 of 1,717

whataslacker -- The FCC hasn't made that a necessary app yet. They have taken steps towards creating a system where customers can choose their own equipment to use vs getting what service providers have available so that is something that could happen in the future. You can read about that here: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/fcc-set-top-box-rules/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 1,717

So Comcast isn't interested in giving CUSTOMERS what they request, they are only interested in doing what they are FORCED to do by the FCC?  What a crock of bull!

The minute my contract is up, Comcast is going to be relegated to the proverbial gutter.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 24 of 1,717

Per Comcast's announcements today!

Comcast today announced a partnership with Roku Inc. that will continue to expand the range of retail devices Comcast’s customers can use to access their Xfinity TV service. Later this year, Xfinity TV customers will be able to enjoy their cable subscription in the home via the new Xfinity TV Partner app designed specifically for Roku® TV™s and Roku streaming players.

"Roku is one of the largest providers of streaming TV devices and an innovative pioneer in the space, and we are thrilled to provide Xfinity TV customers with access to their subscription across Roku devices," said Mark Hess, Senior Vice President, Office of the Chief Technology Officer, Business and Industry Affairs, Comcast Cable. "We want to give our customers the ability to watch what they want, when and where they want, and we will continue to explore new partnerships to bring Xfinity TV content and user experience to even more retail devices."

Featuring Xfinity’s Emmy Award-winning guide, the Xfinity TV Partner app for Roku devices will provide customers with access to their live and on demand programming, including local broadcast, cable and premium networks, Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) channels, as well as their cloud DVR recordings.

"Roku customers enjoy the ability to access their pay TV subscription using their Roku player or Roku TV without the need to lease a set-top box. These types of channels are very popular on Roku and offer a lot of convenience to our customers," said Steve Shannon, GM of Content at Roku. "Comcast is one of the most popular pay TV operators in the U.S. and since many Roku customers are also Xfinity subscribers we believe the new Xfinity channel will be very popular when it launches this fall."

In addition to the new Xfinity TV Partner app for Roku, Comcast recently launched its broader Xfinity TV Partner Program which enables Xfinity TV customers to receive their Xfinity TV cable service on connected TVs and other IP-enabled third-party devices. Partners who are interested in including the new Xfinity TV Partner app on their devices should visithttps://developer.xfinity.com/cableapp or contact Comcast directly via email at partner@comcast.com.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 1,717
I literally just got off the phone with your customer service rep who said there is NO REASON that I shouldn't be able to get the Xfinity app to come up on Roku. But it doesn't and from reading the forums it sounds like it's not available. So someone is incorrect...please advise!
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 26 of 1,717

It's coming out in the fall for Roku.  Keep monitoring the Roku blog for updates.

https://blog.roku.com

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 27 of 1,717

I would believe more of what you read in the forum than what a phone rep would tell you. Their track record for telling the truth is sub par at best.

Helpmeplease189 wrote:
I literally just got off the phone with your customer service rep who said there is NO REASON that I shouldn't be able to get the Xfinity app to come up on Roku. But it doesn't and from reading the forums it sounds like it's not available. So someone is incorrect...please advise!
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 28 of 1,717

As stated, the Xfinity TV (partner) App (Channel) is not yet available on Roku... but soon. However, the FoxNow, HBOGo, NBC, and ABC Channels are available on Roku. Moreover if you're a customer of Xfinity, or Xfinity Stream TV (even the 1 month free version), you can access those channels via Roku with your Xfinity sign-on credentials. That's somewhat of a limited selection, but it's a step in the right direction.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 29 of 1,717

I just heard the ROKU CEO on CNBC talking and he said they are going to launch an Xfinity app after they came to an agreement with Comcast.  Do you know when this is going to happen? 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 1,717
You know with a samsung phone they have a screen mirror option where you can mirror your phone using the roku. Just load up the comcast TV or x1 app and have your phone on landscape and your set
Posted by
New Poster

Message 31 of 1,717

I came across the same problem and everything kept directing me to sign up for slingtv which includes all the channels not listed on those sites. For an extra 20 a month. Laughing because that is ridiculous after already paying a cable/internet company so much. Use the roku that has the TV without the router. 

Anyways the work-around is here http://verysimple.com/content/xfinity/

All you have to do is sign in to your provider, pick your channel in the list and put in the code that roku gives you. Worked like a charm once I opened up the activation window. 

I now have the channels my providers provides on my roku. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 1,717

Will this Roku app eliminate the need for HD cable boxes? I'd save $20 a month right there.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 1,717

that link isn't working for me...any tips?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 34 of 1,717

Can I access my comcast cable proframs with roku

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 35 of 1,717

Hi hondaroy,

If you have a subscription for HBO or Showtime, you can access HBO Go and Showtime Anytime on the roku device. Comcast will be launching a XFINITY TV partner app on Roku devices later on in the year. Below are some of the  programming and features that  will be available with the XFINITY TV partner app.

• XFINITY Guide
  • Live and On Demand programming, including:
    • Local broadcasts
    • Cable programming
    • Premium networks
    • Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) Channels
  • Cloud DVR recordings

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 36 of 1,717

Why wait!  If you have an android phone or pad running 4.4 or later version, get yourself a google cromecast unit for $35.  Download the chromecast app. to the phone or pad  In the app, open the settings.  It allows you to cast the screen and audio to the cromecast unit.  Then start up xfinity tv go app.  You are connected!

I use this on the road, just take the cromecast with you (fits in your pocket).  The only stations that you cannot get live are NBC, ABC, and CBS.  You get all the movies and tv you will ever need.

(Does not work with iPhones)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 37 of 1,717

Will the new Xfinity App for Roku play 4K content?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 38 of 1,717

Is there a release date set for the Roku app? or do you know when it will be availabe on Roku? I've been looking but I haven't seen it. Already subscribed to streamTV and it's great on laptop, however it is kind of useless on the Roku since you have to go to each individual channel's app and even then it's still limited because some of the apps don't have a live TV service yet. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 39 of 1,717

I had the same question! the stream service is pretty useless on a roku without the app! 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 40 of 1,717

Is there a release date for the app on Roku? Is it a for sure thing that will be released? 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 41 of 1,717

No.  After their failed timeline the Xi4 box then the Xi5 box then for the Olympics in 4k, I'd be surprised if it even comes out this year.

sarabahnsen wrote:

Is there a release date set for the Roku app? or do you know when it will be availabe on Roku?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Administrator

Message 42 of 1,717
Posted by
New Poster

Message 43 of 1,717
Exactly why I just canceled all TV except for one and got a discount on that. The Internet is all I really need. Vote with your wallet folks.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 44 of 1,717

How can you stream on a Roku?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 45 of 1,717
1. X1 cable TV service has nothing to do with Roku. At least not yet.
2. If you are interested in Roku, you will need to buy a device that provides Roku.
3. If you have an internet connection, you can stream on a Roku device. If you have a Roku device.
3. I have Comcast internet service and I also have three Roku boxes. They work just fine.

TPruitt wrote:

How can you stream on a Roku?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 46 of 1,717

Hello 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 1,717

Are you kidding me. Just bought a Roku device for tv in garage to find out I can't stream many channels that I pay for on xfinity 1 platform. So once my contract is up I'm done with Comcast. Antenna and sling tv here I come. Come on Comcast get with the program! So frustrating!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 48 of 1,717

Isn't there a xfinity app coming out for the roku?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 49 of 1,717
Yes there was an extremely vague announcement about some afilliation between Comcast and Roku.

The announcement created more questions than it answered.