New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Stream on Roku

Service Expert

Re: XFINITY TV on Roku

jthrash wrote:

I have xfinity at my house and I am wondering if I can use my Roku at my camper which has a Comcast Internet account. I can receive

Xfinity streaming on my computer there, will Roku work also?

the roku will work when you are connected to your home internet only.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

You might want to clarify that with a "maybe at home'. I can't use mine at all.

New Poster

Thank you. I have seen a lot of conflicting reports. My question is answered.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Rustyben wrote:

asndad wrote:
I get HD on the Android app, on the Windows application, and on my cable box. My local channels only broadcast in HD, as required by the FCC. Yet, the Roku app only has SD, except for HBO. Also, Comcast's SD dose not "fill" the screen, another issue. I had it fixed after a three hour call to tech, then after they updated the app, boom, HD gone again. Another three hour tech call, and they tell me the Roku app will only alow HD for those paying for HD or showing an HD feed, yet many people do not have that on their bill due to agreement with Comcast, such as myself. I believe it is a programming issue. They need to get the programmer to fix it, but that person is too busy to help out customers. I understand how much Comcast dislikes their customers, hence they always have such a bad reputation.

when you see a program in SD that is 'postage stamped' (curtains all around) notice if the channel icon and captions (if turned on) appear within that 'stamp' frame. If so, the SD channel is broadcasting with AFD (automatic Format Descriptor) metadata that the broadcaster (if local) honors (processes the instructions) or ignores (postage stamp or even a square).

Comcast as well as other cable providers will probably process this data properly in the future during the recoding process as equipment is upgraded. If you google the AFD term there are many articles explaining it. TVLand has completed conversion but Comcast is not passing the AFD instruction to the x1 set top boxes nor to any streaming apps recoding process.

the purpose of AFD is to give you wide near-full screen images for older 4:3 (using pan and scan) and actual full screen for content originally in 16:9. The same SD channel showing an original movie in 2:39:1 format will appear full screen horizontally with a small top and bottom curtain even though it is in SD format. look at MeTV or Movies! or Antenna TV (usually local broadcast) to see AFD properly processed screens.

You're deflecting.

What we're saying is that we can watch  HD on our home sets, on the Xfinity mobile apps and in OnDemand programming but not on the Roku and you give us technical detail unrelated to the fact that the Roku app doesn't tune HD channels for us.

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert
Moved:

Roku charge Xfinity TV on Roku

Service Expert

pdhenry wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

asndad wrote:
I get HD on the Android app, on the Windows application, and on my cable box. My local channels only broadcast in HD, as required by the FCC. Yet, the Roku app only has SD, except for HBO. Also, Comcast's SD dose not "fill" the screen, another issue. I had it fixed after a three hour call to tech, then after they updated the app, boom, HD gone again. Another three hour tech call, and they tell me the Roku app will only alow HD for those paying for HD or showing an HD feed, yet many people do not have that on their bill due to agreement with Comcast, such as myself. I believe it is a programming issue. They need to get the programmer to fix it, but that person is too busy to help out customers. I understand how much Comcast dislikes their customers, hence they always have such a bad reputation.

when you see a program in SD that is 'postage stamped' (curtains all around) notice if the channel icon and captions (if turned on) appear within that 'stamp' frame. If so, the SD channel is broadcasting with AFD (automatic Format Descriptor) metadata that the broadcaster (if local) honors (processes the instructions) or ignores (postage stamp or even a square).

Comcast as well as other cable providers will probably process this data properly in the future during the recoding process as equipment is upgraded. If you google the AFD term there are many articles explaining it. TVLand has completed conversion but Comcast is not passing the AFD instruction to the x1 set top boxes nor to any streaming apps recoding process.

the purpose of AFD is to give you wide near-full screen images for older 4:3 (using pan and scan) and actual full screen for content originally in 16:9. The same SD channel showing an original movie in 2:39:1 format will appear full screen horizontally with a small top and bottom curtain even though it is in SD format. look at MeTV or Movies! or Antenna TV (usually local broadcast) to see AFD properly processed screens.

You're deflecting.

What we're saying is that we can watch  HD on our home sets, on the Xfinity mobile apps and in OnDemand programming but not on the Roku and you give us technical detail unrelated to the fact that the Roku app doesn't tune HD channels for us.

you seem to have two issues, please verify. When you tune a local channel to your city that is rebroadcast on cable and tune to that channel on the X1 is it in HD? verify the actual HD channel number if the X1 box tunes automatically to the HD version of the channel. If it is in HD, then using the Roku go to that same 'local' channel. Is it in HD? Local channels don't require the same entitlement as HD cable channels so it is a good test of the hardware. If it is not in HD sign out on the Roku and unplug it from power, remove power from the TV and any switcher for HDMI. plug them all back in and log back in to your Roku. does that channel now appear in HD (the local HD version of the channel)?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

kd5dmq wrote:

Hi Dan,

I have the same issue and am currently on the phone with the internet support team. They first asked me to contact Roku and then after I pressed told me that the Xfinity TV Beta app on Roku had been discontinued. Is this accurate?

you did not hit the quote button so no way to determine your actual issue. The Roku Beta app is running and has not stopped.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I can not talk for others, but on my account, I have a "regular" HD box, not X1. I tune to all available channels in the HD range, as it does not "automatically" tune in HD channels. My Android app tunes in HD channels. My computer, Windows machine, tunes in HD. My Roku app will not tune HD, not even local channels. My local channels only broadcast in HD, so Comcast downgrades the signal to SD. My account has free HD, per agreement to get me to sign up for another year. There is no line item on the bill for HD. I was told, after three more hours on the phone with technical support, that if your bill dose not show HD, dose not matter if it is included in your plan or not, you will not get HD on the app. This is just plain dumb. I do not do their billing, but negotiated free HD. I should get HD, regardless if it is on the bill or not.
Regular Contributor

***UPDATE 03/22/2017***

The following updates will be made on 04/10/2017 on the Roku Version 2.0.x release:

• The XFINITY TV Roku App will be renamed to XFINITY Stream Beta app on Roku
  • XFINITY customers will now have access to and be able to view purchases
  • University access/support

So, it's April 10th.

Did any of the above happen?

Are our older Roku's getting closer to being usable with the app?

Are we getting closer to a definitive answer if we are going to be charged to use the app?

Answers from official Comcast reps only please. No speculation or guesses.

Contributor

workerdummy wrote:

***UPDATE 03/22/2017***

The following updates will be made on 04/10/2017 on the Roku Version 2.0.x release:

So, it's April 10th.

Are we getting closer to a definitive answer if we are going to be charged to use the app?

Also, any chance 'XFINITY Customers' also includes the Internet Only folks, or do people still need a cable subscription at this time to help continue testing the streaming app?

Service Expert

DKPeppard wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

***UPDATE 03/22/2017***

So, it's April 10th.

Also, any chance 'XFINITY Customers' also includes the Internet Only folks, or do people still need a cable subscription at this time to help continue testing the streaming app?

see Official employee on post 1251 on this same thread. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Administrator
Administrator

workerdummy wrote:

***UPDATE 03/22/2017***

So, it's April 10th.

This update does not specifically mention that the Xfinity Stream app will be allowed to work on those older Roku devices. You will notice a complete list of compatible devices on the main post of this thread. If anything changes or any additional devices are added to that list, we will be sure to update the main post with that information. 

As for cost, there is no word yet. As mentioned in the main post, we are still in Beta trials. If there are any updates or word about changes to prices, you will notice that it will be included in any updates on the main post. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

DKPeppard wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

***UPDATE 03/22/2017***

So, it's April 10th.

Not sure how this answer qualifies as a proper answer to DKPeppard's question, especially coming from a "Xfinity Forum Expert". Post 1251 refers to an auto HD issue, not having anything to do with requiring a cable subscription to use the Roku app.

Here is an image of post 1251 to show this:

1251.jpg

Much easier to give a link (message 1251) to the post your are referring to, than to make the user search for what you posted. Not even sure why a forum admin kudoed the post being that the information was wrong.

Frequent Visitor

Roku announced an upgrade to its OS today, so that's probably why the Xfinity Stream App Beta for Roku is supposed to debut this week. Hopefully just a day or two time lag from the announced 4/10 date.

Regular Contributor

marjsdad wrote:

Roku announced an upgrade to its OS today, so that's probably why the Xfinity Stream App Beta for Roku is supposed to debut this week. Hopefully just a day or two time lag from the announced 4/10 date.

I doubt the two upgrades are connected. It could take as long as June for your Roku to update to the new version.

Frequent Visitor

So it's April 11th and I'm still on 1.1.6. When is 2.0.X coming? The original post still says April 10.
Frequent Visitor

Just checked. Version 2.0.5 

Service Expert

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

DKPeppard wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

***UPDATE 03/22/2017***

So, it's April 10th.

Not sure how this answer qualifies as a proper answer to DKPeppard's question, especially coming from a "Xfinity Forum Expert". Post 1251 refers to an auto HD issue, not having anything to do with requiring a cable subscription to use the Roku app.

1251.jpg

Much easier to give a link (message 1251) to the post your are referring to, than to make the user search for what you posted. Not even sure why a forum admin kudoed the post being that the information was wrong.

Post 1251 points out that for the Roku beta that the charge for the service (and therefore a rate code) must be on the account to get HD for Roku (at least for the beta program). It was asked and addressed in that post by an Official Employee. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

DKPeppard wrote:

1251.jpg

Post 1251 points out that for the Roku beta that the charge for the service (and therefore a rate code) must be on the account to get HD for Roku (at least for the beta program). It was asked and addressed in that post by an Official Employee. 

SMH. I know what post 1251 states, I even posted a screen grab to show it. DKPeppard asked if the Roku beta app would now be open to "Xfinity Internet ONLY" customers.  DKPeppard didn't ask about not getting HD channels. Not sure what else I can say about this.

New Poster

STREAM TV App for Roku Live TV Filter - FAVORITES ABSENT

STREAM TV App for Roku is missing a crucial TV Listings filter.  Favorites.  When is this feature coming to the Steam TV App?

Service Expert

Re: STREAM TV App for Roku Live TV Filter - FAVORITES ABSENT

Aikitroyw wrote:

STREAM TV App for Roku is missing a crucial TV Listings filter.  Favorites.  When is this feature coming to the Steam TV App?

the Roku app is in beta and features are being added as they are developed and approved for beta. Please be patient during this beta period.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: STREAM TV App for Roku Live TV Filter - FAVORITES ABSENT

Both the Roku Express+ and the Stream app updated this morning.

New Poster

So I have version 2.0.5, almost none of the non-premium live channels are in HD (they all were a while back). I think now, all the premium live channels are back in HD.

For on demand, none of the content is is HD (I have HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Xfinity Streampix).

I don't have the "HD Technology fee" on my account.

Of course, the HBO and Showtime content is in HD on the Roku when I use HBO Go and Showtime Anytime.

When I use the Xfinity Stream app on the tablet/phone, all of the live and on demand content is in HD.

Is this what is intended? If so, why is the on demand content in SD (it's my only app to watch Streampix and Cinemax) versus HD on a tablet?

Service Expert

Anon173869 wrote:

So I have version 2.0.5, almost none of the non-premium live channels are in HD (they all were a while back). I think now, all the premium live channels are back in HD.

For on demand, none of the content is is HD (I have HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Xfinity Streampix).

I don't have the "HD Technology fee" on my account.

Of course, the HBO and Showtime content is in HD on the Roku when I use HBO Go and Showtime Anytime.

When I use the Xfinity Stream app on the tablet/phone, all of the live and on demand content is in HD.

Is this what is intended? If so, why is the on demand content in SD (it's my only app to watch Streampix and Cinemax) versus HD on a tablet?

per post earlier in the thread http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-TV-on-Roku/m-p/2879656#M6493 the beta Roku app will not play all HD channels unless there is a charge (rate code) on the customer account for HD. Remember, this is a beta program and not all features may be available on the Roku.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: XFINITY TV on Roku - Inconsistent Picture Size on HD Channels

All of the HD channels which I have watched display correctly.  ESPN HD, however, displays with a "shrunken" picture.  Note that if I use the Xfinity Streaming app on my iPad to watch ESPN, the picture displays correctly.  the following photos show ESPN HD and another HD channel.

New Poster

I am having trouble accessing live tv on my roku. I have installed the xfinity stream beta channel on roku and activation was successful. When I go to the channel home screen I see 5 options: saved, Live TV, On Demand, Search and Settings. When I try to access Live TV, I get an error message: "Sorry! something went wrong. Please try again later." In the bottom left of the screen it says "(Error getChannelMap.400)". 

Where am I going wrong?

Contributor

It keeps telling me I have to be on our network... and we're on our network. The Roku box hasn't moved, haven't added any new network equipment. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Contributor

Everything was working fine until the update.
Regular Contributor

I've given up on the app. I'm not going to pay for a limited functionality app that will also require me to buy and replace 3 perfectly good Roku boxes. I'm especially not going to spend the money with the number of outages and connection crashes increasing to the point that I'm ready to pay the early termination fee and dump Comcast.

New Poster

agordo81 wrote:
Everything was working fine until the update.

Same here.  The app was working fine until the latest update, now it loses the signal and freezes.

Contributor

It's not you, it's the app. It has been getting worse with each new "update". I yhink they are trying to make it so bad that they can say "we tried" then just drop the entire thing.
New Poster

I was also enjoying the app until the update on 4-10.  The message I get now gives me the impression that I need to be connected to an Xfinity brand modem/router for it to work, but of course I have my own modem and router.  When I get home I'll try again and if it fails I'll post the exact message.

New Poster

Why do I need to authenticate every time I want to use the app? Plus, why is the weather channel not available?
Highlighted
Official Employee

Flyskimmy wrote:

I was also enjoying the app until the update on 4-10.  The message I get now gives me the impression that I need to be connected to an Xfinity brand modem/router for it to work, but of course I have my own modem and router.  When I get home I'll try again and if it fails I'll post the exact message.

Sorry you're having trouble. You do not need to use an XFINITY modem - you can use your own. The "not on my home network" issue is more common with customer owned modems. It can typically be resolved by calling us at 800-XFINITY and ensuring that your "modem has been assigned to an outlet" on your account.

I would expect that you'd have the same issue accessing the in-home (not "TV Go") content with the Stream website or mobile apps.  HTTPS://tv.xfinity.com

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

For the last week, I have been unable to receive ABC on my roku app. When I turn channel 13 on, I receive WAGV which is channel 14 and yes I have check channel 14. The programs are on that channel as they are scheduled to be. The only problem I can find is ABC and that includes both the regular and the HD channel.
Regular Visitor

Dan,

I contacted support with that request. I would bet 5 bucks that the tech on the other end of the phone had the deer in the headlights look. Absolutely clueless. Any other suggestions?

Service Expert

Sallard wrote:
For the last week, I have been unable to receive ABC on my roku app. When I turn channel 13 on, I receive WAGV which is channel 14 and yes I have check channel 14. The programs are on that channel as they are scheduled to be. The only problem I can find is ABC and that includes both the regular and the HD channel.

does the same channel work fine on both the x1 set top box in the home as well as a smart device (phone/tablet) running the Stream tV app?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU

Thanks, Andy. I will try it when I am next remote. Do you know if Xfinity Stream will still be restricted to the home network when it is out of Beta?

New Poster

It would be great if there was a way to pause, skip 30 seconds, rewind, and fast forward on the app.  Is this going to come to the Xfinity stream app?  Also, is the cloud dvr storage going to increase with the new app?  Also, is there going to be a way to lower the pricing by picking different a la Carte packages?  And is there going to be a way to order pay per view and or movies and shows through the application as well?

Thank you.

New Poster

Thanks for your response.  Sure enough, after re-trying this week it has allowed me to get back on.  I was ready to call 800-XFINITY but I figured I should try it first before calling.  I never had an issue using the iOS apps or the website, but I don't use them often enough to say for certain that they weren't also having a problem at the time.  I'm glad it is working again, because I really enjoy using the Roku app on TV's where I don't already have a box.  Thanks again for your help.

New Poster

Channel Filter

I setup filter in myXFINITY Stream on my phone to only display channels in HD.  However, I can't do the same on the XFINITY Stream app on my Ruko stream box.   Anyone know how?

New Poster

How to setup filter to only display HD channel under Live TV -> TV Listing?

Service Expert

Re: Channel Filter

toiday wrote:

I setup filter in myXFINITY Stream on my phone to only display channels in HD.  However, I can't do the same on the XFINITY Stream app on my Ruko stream box.   Anyone know how?

please do not cross-post or add a topic that already exists (roku app).

Roku is in development, the engineers check this thread for suggestions like yours.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

toiday wrote:

How to setup filter to only display HD channel under Live TV -> TV Listing?

Roku doesn't yet have an HD filter but there is a setting (on by default if you subscribe to HD) to auto-play the HD version if an HD channel exists for the network you are trying to watch.

Community Icon

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Xifinity Stream App on Roku

I have Sharp Roku TV. The Xfinity app runs very slow. In the app when I leave a live channel, the app usually freezes, and causes the entire TV to either freeze or restart.

All other Roku apps, including those that stream live TV (such as CNN and NBC) run smoothly.
Service Expert

Re: Xifinity Stream App on Roku

adamchenchen wrote:
I have Sharp Roku TV. The Xfinity app runs very slow. In the app when I leave a live channel, the app usually freezes, and causes the entire TV to either freeze or restart.

All other Roku apps, including those that stream live TV (such as CNN and NBC) run smoothly.

I moved your post to the Roku Beta thread.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

adamchenchen wrote:

This is exactly how it behaves on my Insignia Roku TV. As far as I can tell, this is normal at this stage of the beta (it's better than it used to be, but not by much). I haven't heard of anyone having great luck with the app on a Roku TV.

New Poster

Starting today I just get oops something went wrong for all features within the app.  I had to restart my Roku to even get into the app, as the message was presenting instead of the splash screen.

Regular Visitor

I too have the same issue that NainRogue just mentioned.

"Oops Something Went Wrong" when I go to launch the app on my Roku 3.

*Update*

Check that about about 5ish minutes it is up and running again.

Xfinity App is  Version 2.0 Build 5

Roku 3 ver 7.6.0 Build 4116-04

Anyhow  my guess it seems to have been a backend issue on Xfinity's part.

*Update 2* 

And it's down again.