New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR records not available to cDVR

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 18
Only a portion of the programs that I have on the X1 DVR are available to me on the Stream cDVR. My cDVR is only at about ~30 hours full, so should have ~30 hours more capacity. How can I get more programs to be available?
17 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 18

GoPokes90 wrote:
Only a portion of the programs that I have on the X1 DVR are available to me on the Stream cDVR. My cDVR is only at about ~30 hours full, so should have ~30 hours more capacity. How can I get more programs to be available?

Did you just recently get Cloud DVR? If so, only recordings since it was set up will be available in the Cloud.  If you've had it longer, it is possible that some of the recordings failed in the Cloud (and we're very sorry).

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 3 of 18
I've got programs that I recorded in January that I do see on cDVR. I've got programs I've recorded since that I don't see on cDVR. If it's a cloud failure, then it impacted multiple records (for example, 32 episodes of one title on my X1, only 8 show up on cDVR. Yet, cDVR has 48% capacity remaining). This is an unacceptable failure rate by any standard.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 18

GoPokes90 wrote:
I've got programs that I recorded in January that I do see on cDVR. I've got programs I've recorded since that I don't see on cDVR. If it's a cloud failure, then it impacted multiple records (for example, 32 episodes of one title on my X1, only 8 show up on cDVR. Yet, cDVR has 48% capacity remaining). This is an unacceptable failure rate by any standard.

Did your cDVR ever hit 100% full?  If so, the oldest recordings not marked as "Save for 1 year" would be deleted to make room for new recordings (ones you may have since deleted - bringing you back down to 48%).

Are the shows from January marked as "Save for 1 year" in "Recording Options"?  That would explain why they are still there but newer ones are not.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 18
Hi Dan..My X1 DVR has never hit 100% and all recordings (new & old) are set to 'Save 1 Year'. That said, I did compare record dates and noticed that any records I did after 19 January are available to X1 & cDVR. Any records done prior to 19 January (the next oldest being 13 January) are available to X1 only. It seems that items were not pushed to cDVR prior to 19 January, but seems to sync going forward.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 18

GoPokes90 wrote:
Hi Dan..My X1 DVR has never hit 100% and all recordings (new & old) are set to 'Save 1 Year'. That said, I did compare record dates and noticed that any records I did after 19 January are available to X1 & cDVR. Any records done prior to 19 January (the next oldest being 13 January) are available to X1 only. It seems that items were not pushed to cDVR prior to 19 January, but seems to sync going forward.

that is not how it works, there is no 'push'. The format for cloud DVR recrodings was changed in June 2016 and recordings on/after the change date are available to the X1 DVR to play back in the home. The cloud DVR is a separate 'device' independent of the home 'plant' equipment.

The cloud DVR is currently limited to 60 hours of recordings where oldest go first (if same set length of keep settings) as new recordings are added. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 18
Thanks for clarifying the functionality. However, the point remains. Items after 19 January are available to both platforms. Items recorded prior to 19 January are only available to X1. It seems the sync failure issue occurs at that point. As I've noted previously, only ~30 hours have ever been on cDVR at any point, so capacity is not the issue for records dropping off.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 8 of 18

GoPokes90 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying the functionality. However, the point remains. Items after 19 January are available to both platforms. Items recorded prior to 19 January are only available to X1. It seems the sync failure issue occurs at that point. As I've noted previously, only ~30 hours have ever been on cDVR at any point, so capacity is not the issue for records dropping off.

there is no 'sync' only two different DVRs recording what you have scheduled or what you record 'hot' (at the moment hitting the record button). are you by chance in the chicago area?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 18
Hi..Not sure why we're getting caught up in semantics of "push" & "sync". The simple gist of the problem is that programs should be available to both devices and they are not. Whether they push, sync, record independently, whatever...matters not to me.

Re-stating the problem: I have plenty of cDVR capacity (nowhere near 60 hours), yet only a portion of the programs on X1 (those recorded after 19 January) are also available for me to watch on cDVR. All I want to know is why more X1 programs (recorded before 19 January) aren't available for me to watch since I have ~30 hours of cDVR space.
Highlighted
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 18
Solution

GoPokes90 wrote:
Hi..Not sure why we're getting caught up in semantics of "push" & "sync". The simple gist of the problem is that programs should be available to both devices and they are not. Whether they push, sync, record independently, whatever...matters not to me.

Re-stating the problem: I have plenty of cDVR capacity (nowhere near 60 hours), yet only a portion of the programs on X1 (those recorded after 19 January) are also available for me to watch on cDVR. All I want to know is why more X1 programs (recorded before 19 January) aren't available for me to watch since I have ~30 hours of cDVR space.

Cloud DVR recordings are entirely separate from those on your physical DVR.  When you schedule a recording, they go to "The Scheduler" (I know, creative name!) which tells your set-top box to record the show and also tells the Cloud DVR to record the show. For your TVs, when a recording fails to record on your physical DVR, we'll check and see if there is a Cloud DVR recording and play that back on your set-top box. If the Cloud DVR recording also failed, we'll play back the On Demand version, if available. 

The problem is, if the Cloud DVR recording fails (for whatever reason - capacity, glitch, IP streams are down, and etc), there is no way to play the recording from your physical DVR on a mobile device or PC (i.e., physical DVR recordings can ONLY play back on the set-top boxes within your home). Also, if you just recently got the Cloud DVR added to your account, only recordings made AFTER that point will be made in the Cloud.

Finally, in an earlier post you mentioned that you have all your recordings set to "Save for 1 year".  This can be risky, once your Cloud DVR hits capacity, no new recordings will take place in the Cloud.  Cloud DVR has a 60 hour capacity while your physical DVR is 100+ hours (depending on HD/SD and compression, etc.).

You can learn more here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 18
Hi Dan...I apologize as I am only just now seeing your reply. So I know my cDVR has never hit capacity (30-35 hours recorded, max). I'm fairly sure cDVR has been on my account for some time (perhaps you can see when it was rolled out to 80012). I'm willing to accept that these were Cloud failures but, when the X1 has 50+ records and only 30 are on the Cloud, the 40% failure rate seems excessive.

That all said, I appreciate your explanation! I understood that these were individual paths (X1 and cDVR), but now understand the mechanism of how they work together (or sometimes don't ☺). Thank you for your help!
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 12 of 18

This is all news to me but I think I understand the concept as explained. I do however believe I still have this problem as my iPad says 6 recordings and my set top dvr says 16 and they were all recorded within the last 2 weeks. What's my issue, that many failures to record to the cloud? Is that to be acceptable fail rate? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 13 of 18

Girubato wrote:

This is all news to me but I think I understand the concept as explained. I do however believe I still have this problem as my iPad says 6 recordings and my set top dvr says 16 and they were all recorded within the last 2 weeks. What's my issue, that many failures to record to the cloud? Is that to be acceptable fail rate? Thank you for any help you can provide.

are you by chance in the detroit or twin cities area?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 14 of 18
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 18

Girubato wrote:

I am not. PA

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 16 of 18

Hi Girubato, I can look into your Cloud DVR issue but I need some clarification:

1) Could you please provide titles and dates of the recorded shows that are missing on Xfinity Stream app?  

2) Have you checked XFINITY Stream  website to see what recordings are missing? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 17 of 18

Ella, my apologies. Did not receive a notification that anyone else had responded. Obviously the shows are different now. Today everything looks okay so I can't provide any details right now.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 18

Please let us know if/when  you see any other issues. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.