New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

X1 DVR "All Times" vs "This Time Only"

ANSWERED
Contributor

X1 DVR "All Times" vs "This Time Only"

When I set a series recording, once in awhile there is an option at the bottom called "When to Record," and the choices are "This Time Only" and "All Times."  What is the difference between these, and why does the option only appear for some shows?  It doesn't matter which I pick, the resulting Scheduled Recordings list seems to look the same either way.All vs This.JPG

Accepted Solution

Re: X1 DVR "All Times" vs "This Time Only"

Hi Dennis

IIRC, you shouldn't get more than one recording of the same listing, even if All Times is chosen. If a different episode is airing at one of the other times, or there is a conflict that would prevent the original time from recording, other times will be recorded. Does that make sense?

LHC

View answer in context
Service Expert

Dennis25 wrote:

When I set a series recording, once in awhile there is an option at the bottom called "When to Record," and the choices are "This Time Only" and "All Times."  What is the difference between these, and why does the option only appear for some shows?  It doesn't matter which I pick, the resulting Scheduled Recordings list seems to look the same either way.All vs This.JPG

there are two ways to add recordings of a particular named series. one is to do a search (voice or typing the numbers corresponding to the letters and then selecting the show), and the second by locating a show in the guide and selecting record from the guide. The first is basically telling the scheduler to search in the listings for what you set (as in your example). the second designates the channel/network/HD preferred.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Thanks, but I don't think that would apply in my case, as I selected the show on a specific channel from the programming guide in the stream app.  (The only reason the channel doesn't show is because I switched to the "SD only" option in the channel dropdown box.  Originally the channel number showed there.)

Any other ideas?

Service Expert

Dennis25 wrote:

Thanks, but I don't think that would apply in my case, as I selected the show on a specific channel from the programming guide in the stream app.  (The only reason the channel doesn't show is because I switched to the "SD only" option in the channel dropdown box.  Originally the channel number showed there.)

Any other ideas?

no, it is still a 'search' the way you have set up the series recording.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I think this applies to a channel that repeats the same show in different time slots on any given day. For example, religious channels often repeat a particular talk show in the morning and again late in the evening… You are specifying this time slot only. I think this happens when you start setting the recording by selecting an episode in the guide listings.

Contributor

BiggJ wrote:

I think this applies to a channel that repeats the same show in different time slots on any given day. For example, religious channels often repeat a particular talk show in the morning and again late in the evening… You are specifying this time slot only. I think this happens when you start setting the recording by selecting an episode in the guide listings.

Thanks.  Yes, as mentioned above I did start by selecting an upcoming show from the guide.  But before starting this thread I had already discovered that the "All Times" vs "This Time Only" option is only offered for a show that repeats multiple times during the day (though the option is only offered up after you set the series recording and then go back in to modify), and figured it was meant to do exactly what you say here.   However, upon testing that assumption, it recorded only one of the occurrences even if I chose "All Times"  So I concluded  "All Times" vs "This Time Only" must actually mean something else, and so posted the original question to find out what that might be.  (Maybe I should have given more background.)  Or, maybe it's just not functioning the way it's supposed to?

Problem Solver

Hi Dennis

IIRC, you shouldn't get more than one recording of the same listing, even if All Times is chosen. If a different episode is airing at one of the other times, or there is a conflict that would prevent the original time from recording, other times will be recorded. Does that make sense?

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastLoriHC wrote:

Hi Dennis

LHC

Yes, that makes perfect sense, and so I'll mark it the solution even though it doesn't explain what "This Time Only" should do.  In fact, "This Time Only" does not seem to do anything based on tests I did:  If I go back in to one of the series' scheduled recordings (remember, the option *only* shows upon *modifying*) and change it from the default "All Times" to "This Time Only" nothing changes as far as what remains on the schedule.

E.g., let's take a program that is on 6-7, 7-8 and 8-9 (different episodes, airing adjacent to each other).  In the stream app I choose series recording.  (Again, the "All Times" vs. "This Time Only" option doesn't appear at this stage.)  Then I click on the 6-7 airing in the schedule, select modify, and select series.  Then I change it from All Times to This Time Only, and give it awhile to "take."  What I end up with is that all three timeslots are still scheduled for each day.  And if I go in to modify any of thme (*not* just 6-7), they now *all* say "This Time Only."

IOW, the "This Time Only" option appears to be of no use.

Service Expert

Dennis25 wrote:

ComcastLoriHC wrote:

Hi Dennis

LHC

Yes, that makes perfect sense, and so I'll mark it the solution even though it doesn't explain what "This Time Only" should do.  In fact, "This Time Only" does not seem to do anything based on tests I did:  If I go back in to one of the series' scheduled recordings (remember, the option *only* shows upon *modifying*) and change it from the default "All Times" to "This Time Only" nothing changes as far as what remains on the schedule.

E.g., let's take a program that is on 6-7, 7-8 and 8-9 (different episodes, airing adjacent to each other).  In the stream app I choose series recording.  (Again, the "All Times" vs. "This Time Only" option doesn't appear at this stage.)  Then I click on the 6-7 airing in the schedule, select modify, and select series.  Then I change it from All Times to This Time Only, and give it awhile to "take."  What I end up with is that all three timeslots are still scheduled for each day.  And if I go in to modify any of thme (*not* just 6-7), they now *all* say "This Time Only."

IOW, the "This Time Only" option appears to be of no use.

if the show you are recording shows up on a channel at 7PM and is repeated at 8PM but you are viewing the info screen for 7m then you are instructing the scheduler to only choose the 7PM showing of the episode.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation