Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Why can't I stream the new tv app to my smart tv when I use screen mirroring?

ANSWERED
New Poster

Why can't I stream the new tv app to my smart tv when I use screen mirroring?

The older app works just fine when I use screen mirroring or connect my laptop with a hdmi cable to my smart tv. I want to be able to stream live tv though with the new app.
Accepted Solution

Re: Why can't I stream the new tv app to my smart tv when I use screen mirroring?

Heather68 wrote:

I would love to see an answer to this question. I purchased a new tablet and now I get an error when I am in my kitchen I can't screen mirror with my new tablet. I can with my old tablet.

Programmer contracts do not allow mirroring, AirPlay, GoogleCast or HDMI connections to external displays. You can, however, use the website (tv.xfinity.com) to cast with the Chrome browser or connect to a TV via HDMI (there's no reasonable way to block this since PCs require external displays. 

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Re: Why can't I stream the new tv app to my smart tv when I use screen mirroring?

I would love to see an answer to this question. I purchased a new tablet and now I get an error when I am in my kitchen I can't screen mirror with my new tablet. I can with my old tablet.

Official Employee

Heather68 wrote:

Programmer contracts do not allow mirroring, AirPlay, GoogleCast or HDMI connections to external displays. You can, however, use the website (tv.xfinity.com) to cast with the Chrome browser or connect to a TV via HDMI (there's no reasonable way to block this since PCs require external displays. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

On my android tablet this url just rolls to "launch the app" screen.

Service Expert

jc30075 wrote:

Can you give us more detail - are you accessing your Comcast network, what are you using to connect to the TV, etc?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Visitor

I have a somewhat similar problem. Is this the same issue of licensing?

Using Xfinity TVGO app on iPhone 6s... works fine.

Purchased an AVOTCH Lightning to HDMI adaptor to display TVGO app to TV. When Avotch adapter is connected to iPhone the TV channel being viewed hangs on the iPhone. When cable removed I can restart TV channel OK. 

Other TV displaying from the iPhone, i.e. pics, videos, general screens display fine, so it appears to be the TVGO app that gets hung when lightning display cable plugged in. 

Thanks, 

Steve

Service Expert

SteveCom wrote:

I have a somewhat similar problem. Is this the same issue of licensing?

Using Xfinity TVGO app on iPhone 6s... works fine.

Purchased an AVOTCH Lightning to HDMI adaptor to display TVGO app to TV. When Avotch adapter is connected to iPhone the TV channel being viewed hangs on the iPhone. When cable removed I can restart TV channel OK. 

Other TV displaying from the iPhone, i.e. pics, videos, general screens display fine, so it appears to be the TVGO app that gets hung when lightning display cable plugged in. 

Thanks, 

Steve

the TVGo app is no longer supported. If you are using the Xfinity TV app, see message 3 in this thread that details that mobile phone/tablets can't be used to connect to a TV in a mirroring fashion.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

jc30075 wrote:

Did you install the android app on your tablet? The Xfinity TV android app gives access to the same portal as the https://tv.xfinity.com web portal. The web portal will not work on android devices because it requires flash which android devices do not natively support. That's why it is redirecting you to the android app.

Frequent Visitor

This for all the world feels like a Comcast cop-out. HDCP protocol over the HDMI connection protects the content, so there's no "real" reason this is being denied. This severely cripples the usefulness of this App.

My main use was for family vacations.... I want access to my recordings and regular cable programming that I pay for, even when I'm away from home... I pay for 24/7/365 service, I expect it.

I can't huddle all of my family around my Android phone to watch our TV programs... nor will I expect each member of my family to go off to a different corner of the hotel room to watch TV on their own Apps... a vacation is a FAMILY TOGETHER time... and by doing this, Comcast is forcing us to do things apart!

Technically, there's no reason HDCP support can't resolve this... it's what it was created for in the first place!!!

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Ronbot,

You make a great point. I have not seen a satisfactory response from Comcast. I hope they do the right thing and negotiate a better deal for their customers.
Service Expert
Moved:

Contributor

The comcast response was untrue.  You are streaming in your house on your home router where you have comcast service.  There is no icensing say you can't watch on your own Tv's in you house.  Most of the real reason is they want people to keep renting over priced boxes.

Service Expert

bobs99 wrote:

The comcast response was untrue.  You are streaming in your house on your home router where you have comcast service.  There is no icensing say you can't watch on your own Tv's in you house.  Most of the real reason is they want people to keep renting over priced boxes.

Comcast collects revenue for all TV set connections (called outlets). A set top box, or a Roku (in free beta) is required on each outlet and they have a monthly charge that pays for the content delivered. The connection to a TV from a desktop or laptop is allowed as the TV is being used for a second monitor.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 12 in conversation