Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

When Will the Xfinity TV app be available (again?) for the Amazon Fire Stick?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 8

Hello,

I just purchased the latest version of the Amazon Fire Stick and the Xfinity app is not listed as available.  Will the app be updated in the near/foreseeable future to assure compatibility?  If not, should I consider getting a Roku stick instead since it's availability appears to be slated before year's end?  I haven't tried installing the various channel apps (e.g., CNN, Comedy Central, etc.) since each would theoretically need to be activated separately and clutter the main interface.  Please advise.

About my service:

• X1
  • Xfinity TV app iOS user
  • Xfinity TV Go iOS user on legacy device [until support was recently pulled]
  • HBOGo app user on iOS [and works on Fire Stick] 
7 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 8

IronWaffle wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased the latest version of the Amazon Fire Stick and the Xfinity app is not listed as available.  Will the app be updated in the near/foreseeable future to assure compatibility?  If not, should I consider getting a Roku stick instead since it's availability appears to be slated before year's end?  I haven't tried installing the various channel apps (e.g., CNN, Comedy Central, etc.) since each would theoretically need to be activated separately and clutter the main interface.  Please advise.

About my service:

• X1
  • Xfinity TV app iOS user
  • Xfinity TV Go iOS user on legacy device [until support was recently pulled]
  • HBOGo app user on iOS [and works on Fire Stick] 

Amazon Fire Stick is not supported but there's a Roku app in development which we're hoping to release soon (before the new year). I believe a standard Roku device will work but not familiar with Roku Stick. Probably best to spring for the more capable device which will be more "future proof" as well. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the speedy reply.  It's greatly appreciated.

Is it safe to assume, then, that there won't be an app for the Fire Stick?  I just want to be sure before making a decision.  For my purposes, this device is better than Roku but if you won't be supporting it then I will re-consider (reluctantly).

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 8

IronWaffle wrote:

Thanks for the speedy reply.  It's greatly appreciated.

Is it safe to assume, then, that there won't be an app for the Fire Stick?  I just want to be sure before making a decision.  For my purposes, this device is better than Roku but if you won't be supporting it then I will re-consider (reluctantly).

You're welcome. There are currently no plans for a Kindle Fire Stick app. Comcast has announced plans for a Roku app and another for Samsung TVs. There's a partner program to expand to other platforms but Roku will be first so I'd bias towards that if you have short-term needs.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 8

Thanks again.

One last question.  About Roku (with the understanding you don't represent them and aren't necessarily privvy to details): Is the Xfinity TV app likely to support all their current generation devices?  I'd be leaning towards the Streaming Stick (second lowest tier, above the Express).  I'd rather avoid the larger, more expensive device(s).  

Also, it's good to know about adding support for Samsung.  It could be useful on my other TV.  Always glad to hear when companies are adding not removing support.  I'm sure it's not easy or inexpensive, considering all competing operating systems and devices.  Now that my iPad (which needs to stay on iOS 6) is no longer supported with TV Go, I'm really missing the convenience.  Fingers crossed about the forthcoming Roku support. /ramble.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 8

IronWaffle wrote:

Thanks again.

One last question.  About Roku (with the understanding you don't represent them and aren't necessarily privvy to details): Is the Xfinity TV app likely to support all their current generation devices?  I'd be leaning towards the Streaming Stick (second lowest tier, above the Express).  I'd rather avoid the larger, more expensive device(s).  

Also, it's good to know about adding support for Samsung.  It could be useful on my other TV.  Always glad to hear when companies are adding not removing support.  I'm sure it's not easy or inexpensive, considering all competing operating systems and devices.  Now that my iPad (which needs to stay on iOS 6) is no longer supported with TV Go, I'm really missing the convenience.  Fingers crossed about the forthcoming Roku support. /ramble.

I know that the new app won't support Roku 1st generation but not familiar with Roku stick. If I were you, I'd spring for the extra $30-$50 and get a non-stick version. Performance matters and some of these low cost device just can't handle it. I usually go for mid-level or higher, personally. There's such a variety of devices out there so caveat emptor. Any glitch or slowness drives me nuts. How many hours are you planning to use this device? Amortize the extra cost over that period of time and I think you'll realize the best path for your situations. I may be a Comcast employee but this is my unofficial opinion. Smiley Happy

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 8

The app won't work unless your comcast modem can reach your roku. In my case, my guest home, which has no physical address, and can't see my home's comcast modem is out of reach, the app won't work.

It's completely useless, and multiple comcast agents I've spoken too have told me the app would work just like xfinity.tv - but it's not true. 

It was the final straw, and I've cancelled all comcast services.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 8 of 8