Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

WatchESPN app no longer works

Regular Visitor

WatchESPN app no longer works

I can no longer access WatchESPN from my IPhone nor through aRoku. Both previously worked. It says that the service is not included in my subscription but it is. I called Xfinity support. They could not answer and said an expert would call back within 24 hours. They did not.
Regular Visitor

Re: WatchESPN app no longer works

Just to be clear, I know I can use The Xfinity app on my iPhone. I added the information so it was clear it was not just a Roku problem.
Service Expert

B_zorn wrote:
Just to be clear, I know I can use The Xfinity app on my iPhone. I added the information so it was clear it was not just a Roku problem.

I re-downloaded the watchESPN app and logged in. works fine here. Call 800-Comcast and ask that they do a complete refresh on your account (not set top box). They may call it a "UDB" update.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Easier said than done. Comcast has been promising to call back since Saturday. Just called for third time. Wonder why they keep on getting voted most disliked company in America.

My thought is that we recently upgraded whereby we can watch our dvr'd shows on the cloud. Perhaps this "upgrade" came with a downgrade.
Regular Visitor

I was able to get through to a Comcast rep that was helpful. The key is to tell the robot that you want to cancel services. Answer "No" when asked if it is because of a move.

They did perform the reset, but I still can not watch ESPN. I can watch ESPN3 live however. Don't know if this is new or if I just hadn't checked before.

Do Comcast employees monitor this forum?
Service Expert

B_zorn wrote:
I was able to get through to a Comcast rep that was helpful. The key is to tell the robot that you want to cancel services. Answer "No" when asked if it is because of a move.

They did perform the reset, but I still can not watch ESPN. I can watch ESPN3 live however. Don't know if this is new or if I just hadn't checked before.

Do Comcast employees monitor this forum?

it is primarily a user-to-user help forum. However your problem can often be solved by calling 800-Comcast and ask for billing and ask if ESPN is included in your package. If it is, then ask for an account refresh (can take up to an hour to finish).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I did all those things and it still does not work. It did work in December. I will try Comcast again.
Regular Visitor

I have figured out the problem but not the solution. I am at my daughters house. She has Xfinity internet but not TV. The app is authenticating based on her router/modem and not allowing me to sign into my account. It used to work.
Service Expert

B_zorn wrote:
I have figured out the problem but not the solution. I am at my daughters house. She has Xfinity internet but not TV. The app is authenticating based on her router/modem and not allowing me to sign into my account. It used to work.

Did you try turning off wifi, and connecting via cell data with username/pass and it worked? then change back to wifi after already authenticating.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I am now at my other daughrer's house. She has Centurylink as internet provider. The WatchESPN works fine. So the bottom line is that Comcast has modified the app so it uses the routers access level if it is a Comcast account. It asks the user to authenticate if it is not a Comcast account. There are workarounds but it is clearly a purposeful change on Comcast's part.

Thank you Rusty Ben for your help diagnosing the problem.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation