Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Unlink old inactive account number; incorrectly listed as default main account

ANSWERED
New Poster

Unlink old inactive account number; incorrectly listed as default main account

Whenever I try to login with the Xfinity TV App to watch video online, it says "Access not Authorized" because it treats an old inactive account as the default main account. I need my new and active account to be listed as the main account. The old account number can also be deleted or unlinked.

Full background:  I was a Comcast customer, canceled my service for a year, then signed back up with Comcast in June.

When I renewed my subscription, Comcast gave me a new account number instead of using my old existing one. However, it kept my old username and password for my login.  Therefore, I have two account numbers with identical login/username, street address, contact email, and contact phone number. However, it says the old account number is the main account and I cannot change it. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlink old inactive account number; incorrectly listed as default main account

It took 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone to resolve this.  Basically, the routine was this:  I explained the problem to an agent, have an agent attempt to fix it, agent places me on hold when they cannot solve the issue, then they transfer me to someone with a higher level of technical expertise/access.  I had to do this around five times before finally climbing to a high enough rung on the technical support ladder.  Nick in Denver resolved the issue in around 10 minutes by disassociating my username/login with the old account number.  I was really hoping to avoid spending a couple of hours on the phone, but unfortunately that's what was required.  There's no way to solve this issue on your own.  You're going to have to call, wait, be transfered, re-explain, rinse, repeat, and hopefully reach someone who can actually resolve the issue.

When you call the automated system, ask for billing.  It will probably try to tell you how to find your account number on your bill or solve some other easy frequently asked question, but then say AGENT to get a real person.

View answer in context
Service Expert

Re: Unlink old inactive account number; incorrectly listed as default main account

KnoxZ wrote:

Whenever I try to login with the Xfinity TV App to watch video online, it says "Access not Authorized" because it treats an old inactive account as the default main account. I need my new and active account to be listed as the main account. The old account number can also be deleted or unlinked.

Full background:  I was a Comcast customer, canceled my service for a year, then signed back up with Comcast in June.

When I renewed my subscription, Comcast gave me a new account number instead of using my old existing one. However, it kept my old username and password for my login.  Therefore, I have two account numbers with identical login/username, street address, contact email, and contact phone number. However, it says the old account number is the main account and I cannot change it. 

You may want to call 800-Comcast and select billing and describe the issue to the representative. Billing will probably be able to sort out the problem you are experiencing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

It took 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone to resolve this.  Basically, the routine was this:  I explained the problem to an agent, have an agent attempt to fix it, agent places me on hold when they cannot solve the issue, then they transfer me to someone with a higher level of technical expertise/access.  I had to do this around five times before finally climbing to a high enough rung on the technical support ladder.  Nick in Denver resolved the issue in around 10 minutes by disassociating my username/login with the old account number.  I was really hoping to avoid spending a couple of hours on the phone, but unfortunately that's what was required.  There's no way to solve this issue on your own.  You're going to have to call, wait, be transfered, re-explain, rinse, repeat, and hopefully reach someone who can actually resolve the issue.

When you call the automated system, ask for billing.  It will probably try to tell you how to find your account number on your bill or solve some other easy frequently asked question, but then say AGENT to get a real person.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation