Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

UI does not disappear in full screen in chrome browser and on firefox it crashes while loading

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 12

I  am using my pc with windows 7 and chrome browser to access your xfinity tv website to watch tv shows episodes and when i start watching and click on fullscreen, it expands correctly but the ui never goes away, always stays and covers bottom of the screen, that is annoying especially when the tv show or movie has build in subtitles that normally appear right at the bottom that is under uio and impossible to see, it has been like that for months, started when you changed to your "new and improved" website.

I tried to see if my firefox can make the fullscreen not have ui bar on the bottom, but it has problems even loading your site that uses very outdated shockwave plugin technology, and it crashes that browser, chrome unlike firefox for now is able to run your website but your websites performance is ... lacking badly, its a slow site that for no reason uses too much resources just so it is grey and offers a lot less options than it used to offer.

I am clearly still unhappy with this whole "xfinity upgrade" and wish that in last few months comcast actually made any changes to improve its performance, features, user friendlines etc... but for now i see no improvements in any category.

11 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 12

Tamiraq wrote:

I  am using my pc with windows 7 and chrome browser to access your xfinity tv website to watch tv shows episodes and when i start watching and click on fullscreen, it expands correctly but the ui never goes away, always stays and covers bottom of the screen, that is annoying especially when the tv show or movie has build in subtitles that normally appear right at the bottom that is under uio and impossible to see, it has been like that for months, started when you changed to your "new and improved" website.

I tried to see if my firefox can make the fullscreen not have ui bar on the bottom, but it has problems even loading your site that uses very outdated shockwave plugin technology, and it crashes that browser, chrome unlike firefox for now is able to run your website but your websites performance is ... lacking badly, its a slow site that for no reason uses too much resources just so it is grey and offers a lot less options than it used to offer.

I am clearly still unhappy with this whole "xfinity upgrade" and wish that in last few months comcast actually made any changes to improve its performance, features, user friendlines etc... but for now i see no improvements in any category.

windows 7 support ended 2 years ago (end of life, no more updates). You might still be able to get windows 10 update free. Expect more and more things not to work as time goes on.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 12

its more about this websites technology being old and not fully supported anymore in most of the browsers than which windows i use.

also last update of windows 7 was in 10/2016 so not 2 years ago, please do not spread false information

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 12

Tamiraq wrote:

its more about this websites technology being old and not fully supported anymore in most of the browsers than which windows i use.

also last update of windows 7 was in 10/2016 so not 2 years ago, please do not spread false information

quick google search proves it (corp customers get updates to 2020 if they pay for the service).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

microsoft site verifies jan 2015 was last month of support.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 12

and yet my "unsupported" windows 7 got an update 2 months ago, so dont say there are no updates....

again you are not helping and just adding count to your msgs and changing subject on a topic that the technical support of x1 should know.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 12

just to clarify, other sites that use similar technology are working perfectly fine, the ui bar disappears in fullscreen mode, etc, its just on xfinity site that i have problems, so no, it is not my windows problem or the browsers i tried, even tho some try to go away from using flash, its just this site that has a problem with fullscreen when used not through the mobile app, this website is just not geared towards pcs and comcast does not do anything to fix it

the fullscreen problem was pointed out right after the "upgrade" to the newest version and it has been months, and from what i see none of the problems pointed out back then were fixed.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 7 of 12

Rustyben wrote: ... windows 7 support ended 2 years ago (end of life, no more updates). ...

Not quite correct. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet says Win 7 will be in "extended support" until January 14, 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15064 says

Extended Support lasts for a minimum of 5 years and includes security updates at no cost, and paid non-security updates and support.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 8 of 12

BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... windows 7 support ended 2 years ago (end of life, no more updates). ...

Not quite correct. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet says Win 7 will be in "extended support" until January 14, 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15064 says

Extended Support lasts for a minimum of 5 years and includes security updates at no cost, and paid non-security updates and support.

hi bruce, extended support is paid support by corps who don't yet wish to upgrade. This does not mean that current browsers, flash players, etc will continue to operate on the old platform. Primarily only zero-day exploits are updated as well as OS files as needed to continue to operate with microsoft programs like IE and outlook.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 9 of 12

Rustyben wrote:

BruceW wrote: ...

hi bruce, extended support is paid support ...

Did you miss the phrase "at no cost"? Can you provide an authoritative source that states extended support is only available for those who pay for it?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 12

wow thanks for side-tracking my topic....

like i said, its not like everything stopped working, everything else is working perfectly fine and other sites do not have any problems with "dead" windows, so stop giving comcast excuses to have this buggy site not fixed...

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 11 of 12

I am running Chrome in Win 7 pro.  Tonight when I stream episodes of programs the UI at the bottom and in the upper left and right corners does not disappear. I tried changing the time to disappear from 3 to 5 seconds and back and the UI is persistent.  I tried moving my mouse cursor off to the side as well.  This has not happened before this evening.  The UI used to pop up once in a while but now it is on all the time and covers up subtitles at the bottom as well as items in the upper right and left corners.  Mainly it is distracting.

Windows 7 with all the latest patches.  Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 12

JDLand wrote:

I am running Chrome in Win 7 pro.  Tonight when I stream episodes of programs the UI at the bottom and in the upper left and right corners does not disappear. I tried changing the time to disappear from 3 to 5 seconds and back and the UI is persistent.  I tried moving my mouse cursor off to the side as well.  This has not happened before this evening.  The UI used to pop up once in a while but now it is on all the time and covers up subtitles at the bottom as well as items in the upper right and left corners.  Mainly it is distracting.

Windows 7 with all the latest patches.  Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133

Thanks for the feedback and sorry about the inconvenience. I've heard this from several other customers but our engineering team has never been able to reproduce the issue. Anything unique about your system setup such as multiple monitors, wireless mouse, and etc.?  For me, the UI disappeares until I move my mouse or hit my keyboard?

There are some keyboard shortcuts which you can view by hitting the "?" key while playing back video.  Perhaps one of those shortcuts is available to hide the UI overlay.  Please report back if this works!

Thanks,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.