Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV app cutting shows off while trying to stream on mobile

Frequent Visitor

TV app cutting shows off while trying to stream on mobile

This has been going on for about two weeks or so now. I start watching, say, an hour long program on my phone (iPhone 5s) via a strong, secure wi-fi network, and shortly after starting (within the first 2 minutes), it skips forward a bit and then shows around 24m total as the show running time. Rebooting phone does nothing. When I go home and play on the set top box, the entire recording is there and it plays back fine. Ideas??

Service Expert

Re: TV app cutting shows off while trying to stream on mobile

jstep7262 wrote:

This has been going on for about two weeks or so now. I start watching, say, an hour long program on my phone (iPhone 5s) via a strong, secure wi-fi network, and shortly after starting (within the first 2 minutes), it skips forward a bit and then shows around 24m total as the show running time. Rebooting phone does nothing. When I go home and play on the set top box, the entire recording is there and it plays back fine. Ideas??

download the same show to the same device on same network if possible. Is it now full length and play properly?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

jstep7262 wrote:

Cloud DVR recordings are completely separate from those on your physical DVR. It sounds like the original Cloud recording is corrupted. I appologize.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

Dan, Is there a known problem to this issue, or a fix coming? It's still doing it today. It's frusturating because I watch a lot on my other devices and not necessarily on the set top boxes. Thanks so much!!

Frequent Visitor

Hey Ben, yeah, the problem happens on multiple networks and isn't just happeneing to one. I tried downloading one show and that failed. Another one kept restarting, but I'm looking to stream, not download, as it's not necessary for me to DL when I'm on a good wi-fi network. Thanks for the reply!

Frequent Visitor

Also, I deleted the app this morning and reinstalled it. First three shows that I tried to watch it cut them down again from an hour to between 20-30m total in app. Again, watching them at home on my set top box is fine and they are all there, so I do not think this is a recording issue. Something is getting messed up between the set top box and the app, perhaps?

Problem Solver

jstep7262 wrote:

Also, I deleted the app this morning and reinstalled it. First three shows that I tried to watch it cut them down again from an hour to between 20-30m total in app. Again, watching them at home on my set top box is fine and they are all there, so I do not think this is a recording issue. Something is getting messed up between the set top box and the app, perhaps?

Just an FYI, there is no communication between the set top box and the app. You can test this yourself by unplugging the set top box, and using the app. You will see that the app continues to work despite having the set top box being unplugged.

It sounds like there could be corruption happening on the Cloud recordings like ComcastDan pointed out. I'm not sure you ever said that you tested those recording outside your home on a different network. If they show the same issues on different wifi and wired networks outside your home (using both computers and smart devices) then Comcast needs to escalate why your Cloud recordings are getting corrupted.

Service Expert

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

jstep7262 wrote:

Just an FYI, there is no communication between the set top box and the app. You can test this yourself by unplugging the set top box, and using the app. You will see that the app continues to work despite having the set top box being unplugged.

It sounds like there could be corruption happening on the Cloud recordings like ComcastDan pointed out. I'm not sure you ever said that you tested those recording outside your home on a different network. If they show the same issues on different wifi and wired networks outside your home (using both computers and smart devices) then Comcast needs to escalate why your Cloud recordings are getting corrupted.

the easy test is to download a recording that fails to stream properly. Then does the playback have issues? If so, then it is the recorded asset as stored in the cloud DVR, if not, then it is something in the streaming path.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I've been having this same issue since November, except it's with tv.xfinity.com and not the Android app.  I spoke with a support agent back in November and was told I'd receive a call back in 3 days (suprise! no call!).  Chatted today with an agent and they said tier two support will call me between 8 and 9pm today (a half hour from now).  I referenced this thread for the agent so hopefully tier two support gets it in their head that this is affecting more customers than one and they need to get this corruption issue sorted out in short order.

Contributor

What a surprise. 10 minutes past when they said tier 2 support would call and NOTHING

EDIT: I chatted with an agent to see what was up, and apparently that status on the ticket is awaiting national tier 3 support... stay posted for updates

Service Expert

Littlesender wrote:

What a surprise. 10 minutes past when they said tier 2 support would call and NOTHING

my post (#8) above asks for a test. Would you try that diagnostic test?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

This problem IS related, but it ISN'T exactly the same.  As I said, I'm having this problem with the TV portal, not the mobile android app.  As such, I have no way (to my knowledge) of downloading a recording via Win10.

To clarify, I can view full recordings on the mobile android app, but not on tv.xfinity.com

Service Expert

Littlesender wrote:

This problem IS related, but it ISN'T exactly the same.  As I said, I'm having this problem with the TV portal, not the mobile android app.  As such, I have no way (to my knowledge) of downloading a recording via Win10.

To clarify, I can view full recordings on the mobile android app, but not on tv.xfinity.com

ios and android smart devices can download.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Ben,
I am aware one can download recordings on Android and iOS. I'm saying that for me to do that would be pointless because I can view the full recordings on those devices, but not on the web portal.

I would humor you with your test, but I'd rather not waste my now capped data usage.

Problem Solver

Littlesender wrote:

Ben,
I am aware one can download recordings on Android and iOS. I'm saying that for me to do that would be pointless because I can view the full recordings on those devices, but not on the web portal.

I would humor you with your test, but I'd rather not waste my now capped data usage.

There is no data usage downloading a recording to a smart device when on your home Comcast network.

Contributor

Ok I've performed the test. Despite being able to view the full episode while online an my android phone, one download interrupts at 52 percent. Another makes it to 80 percent and interrupts. After trying to resume the download numerous times, no further download progress is made
Service Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I still haven't gotten a PM from Comcast. Oh, and FWIW, I'm on an iPhone. I just DL a show that the app was once again screwing up on. It is still showing up incorrectly. In the iPhone app, it's showing that the 60m show (which plays fine on the set top box), has a running time of 32 minutes. It doesn't play past 32m and skips over parts. I've tried this streaming as well as downloading the show and then watching.

Contributor

I checked the status of my open ticket yesterday. It's still in the hands of tier 3 support. I'm guessing that based on their lack of ambition to release their TV app for roku and Samsung TVs as originally "planned" that this functionality won't be much of a priority either... All to get you to rent cable boxes
Frequent Visitor

It sounds like my issue may be similar to or identical to this thread that is about two months old,so obviously no solution as of yet: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-App/TV-App-not-downloading-complete-shows/m-p/2828312#M3258

Littlesender, it sounds like your issue is something different. Fingers crossed that they are able to figure out both of our issues shortly!

Contributor

I don't think our problems are as disparate as you may think - we are both having corruption-related issues with our recordings.

Figure I'll add a little bit more recent info too.

Watching on tv.xfinity.com - I set two recordings via the web portal from 4-4:30PM (it's now 4:04) and I can watch the in-progress recordings fine.  I also set another recording in the same manner from 3-3:30PM and I can watch the full recording.  I'm unsure if tier 3 actually fixed the issue or if setting the recording from the web portal is necessary to watch it from there.

Also, in response to a response by RustyBen in the thread you referenced above, only "DVR" is showing up in the bottom left corner of the screen, instead of "Cloud DVR" - this is true for both for the new (working) recordings and the old (corrupted) recordings.

Contributor

Well, the problem does appear to be getting better, but a few newly recorded episodes still have this issue.  

What is interesting is that an old series recording I set up (Judge Judy) is the one that's having the problem.  I set up new series recordings for other 3 other shows today and those all recorded just fine.  I've since cancelled the series recording of JJ and set it up again, so tomorrow will tell if this has anything to do with it.

Contributor

Sorry for all the excessive updates, but I just discovered that something I said earlier was inaccurate.

I mentioned that the corrupted recordings played on Android but not the TV portal, but this is untrue.  Android shows the full time as 30:01 (TV portal, 22:27), however, I'm playing them simultaneously right now and they both skip forward as described by OP at the same times.  Also, if you try to fast forward to the end of the video, it shows 22:26 on the left (current time) out of 30:01 on the right (full recording time).

My next update will be tomorrow around 5PM to inform of whether this issue has to do with series recordings set up prior to today (as my new series recordings are working fine).

Contributor

My daughter is having the exact same problem trying to stream recorded shows to her mobile device.  Anxiously looking forward to your resolution.

Contributor

Still having the same problem with all Judge Judy recordings, despite having reset the series recording... And now, a new error that doesn't let ANY of the episode play (really!? we are going BACKWARDS now!!!):

"This Video cannot be played.... Error 102100.5: Loading of the specified resource has failed"

Customer Service Diagnostics

Build number
OS
Windows 10
Browser
Edge 14.14393
Flash version
Status
in home
Entitlements
cdvr, cvod, clinear, est, tve-vod, tve-linear
Last fingerprint
cloudtv_web_polymer_0_prod_1484865823224_28068
Stream provider
primetime
Video ID
V6992500212361835000L200196000119210017
Media ID
comcast:dvr:schedule:V6992500212361835000L200196000119210017
Error code
Error description
Loading of the specified resource has failed
Error aux info
https://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/recording/V6992500212361835000L200196000119210017/stream.m3u8?rec...
Video Provider
WJBKD
Video Source
s:VideoObject/Recording
Video Title
Don't Keep on Truckin'!; Consignment Chaos

What I just don't understand is that I recorded 4 episodes of Impractical Jokers during the same hour Judge Judy was being recorded, and all 4 episodes play the full 30 minutes.. It seems Comcast's cloud DVR service just doesn't want people to watch Judge Judy!!!

Service Expert

Littlesender wrote:

Still having the same problem with all Judge Judy recordings, despite having reset the series recording... And now, a new error that doesn't let ANY of the episode play (really!? we are going BACKWARDS now!!!):

"This Video cannot be played.... Error 102100.5: Loading of the specified resource has failed"

Customer Service Diagnostics   Build number 234 OS Windows 10 Browser Edge 14.14393 Flash version 24.0.0.194 Status in home Entitlements cdvr, cvod, clinear, est, tve-vod, tve-linear Last fingerprint cloudtv_web_polymer_0_prod_1484865823224_28068 Stream provider primetime Video ID V6992500212361835000L200196000119210017 Media ID comcast:dvr:schedule:V6992500212361835000L200196000119210017 Stream ID Error code 102100.5 Error description Loading of the specified resource has failed Error aux info https://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/recording/V6992500212361835000L200196000119210017/stream.m3u8?rec... Video Provider WJBKD Video Source s:VideoObject/Recording Video Title Don't Keep on Truckin'!; Consignment Chaos

What I just don't understand is that I recorded 4 episodes of Impractical Jokers during the same hour Judge Judy was being recorded, and all 4 episodes play the full 30 minutes.. It seems Comcast's cloud DVR service just doesn't want people to watch Judge Judy!!!

tried playing on firefox or chrome browser?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Of course I have.  Chrome is my go-to, but there's an annoying bug that brings up the status bar at the bottom every few minutes and it's very distracting.

Really shouldn't be an issue though since this problem is also happening natively in the Android TV app.

Also, I was under the assumption we concluded the issue was corruption related to Comcast backend servers hosting the cloud dvr services, which would be an issue independent of the end-user's browser.

Contributor

Still haven't received word from any comcast employee, tier 2/3/national support... why is it so difficult for Comcast to supply updates, regardless of the issue?  Can't get an estimate on Roku app, or on when the TV app will even work properly....

Admin1

jstep7262 & Littlesender -- The downloading/recording playback issues are not known issue so support tickets have been opened for each of you. These will be worked through and you'll each be contacted once we've had a chance to figure out what's causing each problem. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

ComcastZach -

Don't forget about me - my daughter is having the same issue with recordings and playback on a mobile device.  Thanks.

Admin1

RKF -- What kind of mobile device is she using? I'll need to know make and model to open a proper support ticket. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

iPhone running IOS 10.2; app is current.  Same result on her MacBook Air.

I tried it on my iPad Pro also running 10.2 with the same result.

Contributor

ComcastZach,

It should be known that this problem is occuring on ALL of my devices that access CLOUD recordings, but does not happen on X1 boxes that access DVR recordings.

These OSes/devices include:

Windows 10 – Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and IE (tried on my desktop and surface)

Android 6.0.1 – xFinity TV app (tried on my Note 4)

As stated in earlier posts, it only happens on certain recordings.

So far, I’ve recorded DOZENS of episodes of Impractical Jokers and haven’t observed a problem with any of them.

Contrarily, every episode of Judge Judy I’ve recorded is missing anywhere between 15-60% of the recording… However, two episodes recorded just fine over the weekend, but strangely, every episode during the work week gets corrupted. 

Other shows that are getting corrupted include: Pure Genius, Chicago Med, Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence, Mom, and more than I’d really care to list here.

I contacted Comcast via live chat 4 times last week.  Every time, they said it was escalated and I’d be contacted within 24-48 hours.  Never received a call.  I really hate being lied to, as I’m sure all of you reading this do. 

I can understand a delay on your Roku app, but corruption on your backend servers for services you provide to your customers is unacceptable if you expect your customers to pay full price for such services.  At this point, I’d be willing to accept a statement credit for all the time I’ve had to “invest” in troubleshooting an issue that I shouldn’t have to in exchange for a cease of contact to your agents (to give you some time to breathe and sort out your problems). 

I think I speak for everyone here that we deserve statement credits of some sort, as this is a form of service outage.  Since you can’t advise on when we will see a proper resolution, please advise on the chances of reimbursing us for services we pay for in full, but are not necessarily rendered to the same degree.

Thanks in advance.

Admin1

RKF -- Thanks for the update. Got a support ticket opened for you as well. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Just got off the horn of chat again - and now I have two ticket numbers, here's the 2nd for your records - 

CR673040724

And the first again since that post was deleted twice now - CR669839273

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Zach - per your earlier post...

The downloading/recording playback issues are not known issue so support tickets have been opened for each of you. These will be worked through and you'll each be contacted once we've had a chance to figure out what's causing each problem. 

In the similar forum regarding the Xfinity website ( http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Consistent-skips-in-recordings-watched-on-website-or... ) ComcastDan has said... 

"There are 2 things I'm fairly certain of: 

1. This issue of missing segments of the recording is NOT caused by the app/website but rather the Cloud DVR recording itself. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Cloud DVR recordings are entirely separate from the recordings on your set-top box which is why they play back fine there but not via the apps/web.
  2. This issue is particularly bad in two areas of the country: Twin Cities and Detroit. I haven't heard of this specific issue outside these areas (but please let me know if I'm wrong on this).

Best, ComcastDan"

I am in the Twin Cities.  For the past several weeks almost all my cloud DVR recordings have been incomplete (ie. less than 30 minutes recorded on a 1 hour show).  The same incomplete recorded times show up on the Xfinity website, and with the Xfinity TV app on my ipad and my iphone.  The physical DVR has the full recordings.

If Xfinity support is not working on a systemwide fix for cloud DVR in the Twin Cities please open an individual support ticket for me.  Thanks.

Contributor

Great information you provided, vud999 - thanks for that!

I'd also like to note that I'm in metro Detroit, a half hour from the city.

It really sounds like Comcast Datacenters in these two areas have corruption issues.  For the last month, I assume the issue was attempted to be resolved remotely.  Maybe try sending your technicians to these locations directly?

Frequent Visitor

Littlesender, I'm in Macomb, about 30m from Detroit as well. You might be on to something!

Frequent Visitor

Now I'm also getting Playback Issue::8001 on some shows like last nights Chicago Fire, while still getting the appx. 20-30m worth of hour long shows (all on the TV app). 

Contributor

I'm sure if the engineers/technicians would just take a gander at this thread, they'd be able to diagnose the cause of the problem (and promptly fix it).  Unfortunately, it seems the only employees active on this forum have the same limited problem solving capacity as those we contact via chat or the 1-800 number.

Contributor

Copied from the TV website forum:

ohmaneyes wrote:

you can add jenison michigan to the list. heres what i have been told, problem is with the cloud. dvr box has 500 gigs of recording space. the cloud because of underestimated appeal has been limited to 60 hours of recording time. i have been on the phone to level three techs a lot (888-824-8988). i had a free service call, new cable from street through house to installed new DVR BOX & GATEWAY. one would believe this would solve prolem, WRONG. it does matter what channel is recorded, cbs, abc, hbo, nbc, the play back on ipad or iphone is usually this: 1) skips in the viewing, as if it was a bad editing job.msnbc Rachel Maddow 1/23/16 9pm had 35 skips in an hour show. 2) real time hbo, 1/20/16 10pm. show starts then stops, goes back to beginning for a second, then advances a little, then repeats the process again and again and again. the last word, msnbc 10pm, 1/24/16 @16:08 - 16:23 was in a continuous loop, would not STOP. i see from the fourm this stuff has been going on for over a year. IF THERE IS A CUSTOMER MOVEMENT OUT THERE TO JOIN LET ME KNOW. CLASS ACTION COMPLAINTS GET HEARD FASTER THAN INDIVIDUAL ONES. Special request to Comcast, the only TV, i can watch fom my hospital-bed is on my ipad pro, i just need a little from you.

heres to great tv viewing

Just contacted the phone number I highlighted in red and I must say, it was the most help I've received from Comcast to date.  I've been told that I'll be contacted directly by the tier three rep I spoke with on Friday (and he was kind enough to give me his extension in case he doesn't).  

Apparently, the issue is related to a shortage of storage space (so not necessarily corruption).  If you guys feel the need to contact them, use the number in red above and clearly explain what's going on.  However, this may not be necessary because I walked the CSR through how to access this forum and a few of the threads related to this problem so their team knows where to find their information.  

Creating tickets won't get results.  You've gotta speak to tier 3 via phone directly.  I'm quite happy with the way I was treated via this method.  I'm going to cease contact with Comcast until Friday.  I'll still be here if any of you want more information though. Smiley Happy

By the way, any future updates will be exclusively on the following thread - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Consistent-skips-in-recordings-watched-on-website-or... - since that thread has been around longer.  Please subscribe there for any updates Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

There was a known bug causing partial cloud DVR recordings when played from the Xfinity TV app. This is expected to be corrected via an update released  mid-morning on 01/26/2017. Any cloud recordings before that may still "skip"/"cut-off", however all future recordings should play back with no issues. 

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
New Poster

I too have the problem when I try to download recorded programs from my home XfinityX1 cloud system at home onto my iPad with a downloaded Xfinity app, some movies will download fully but most download about 90% then restart, over and over. IS THERE A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?   Seems to download consistently onto my Galaxy 7 smartphone. 

Service Expert

lgblatt wrote:

I too have the problem when I try to download recorded programs from my home XfinityX1 cloud system at home onto my iPad with a downloaded Xfinity app, some movies will download fully but most download about 90% then restart, over and over. IS THERE A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?   Seems to download consistently onto my Galaxy 7 smartphone. 

What version of iOS is your iPad running?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I am still having this playback issues. Unable to stream. Is this still a wide spread issue? When will it be fixed! Very frustrating!'
Service Expert

Reddokken wrote:
I am still having this playback issues. Unable to stream. Is this still a wide spread issue? When will it be fixed! Very frustrating!'

you didn't give much information. You posted in Stream TV area, are you using an iphone/ipad or an android device? Are you watching on the device's own screen or? Are you connected to your home Wifi's SSID or some other SSID (for example xfinitywifi, bobtheneighbor, etc?). 

do you receive any error code? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Hello, I am using Chrome and tried firefox and ie as well.  i get an error message when i try to play a recording.  i also have an issue when watching a 3hr show and it condenses it to 1 hour only.  this is the error message i get that doesnt allow me to watch a recording.

Build number
OS
Windows 10
Browser
Chrome 58.0.3029.110
Flash version
Status
in home
Entitlements
clinear, tve-linear, est, cdvr, tve-vod, cvod
Last fingerprint
cloudtv_web_polymer_0_prod_1496708437006_43089
Stream provider
primetime
Video ID
V6659196452903632400L200584520606000017
Media ID
comcast:dvr:schedule:V6659196452903632400L200584520606000017
Error code
Error description
Error aux info
https://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/recording/V6659196452903632400L200584520606000017/stream.m3u8?rec...
Video Provider
USAHD
Video Source
Video Title
Airdate: 6/6
Service Expert

covenantxxx wrote:

Hello, I am using Chrome and tried firefox and ie as well.  i get an error message when i try to play a recording.  i also have an issue when watching a 3hr show and it condenses it to 1 hour only.  this is the error message i get that doesnt allow me to watch a recording.

Build number
OS
Windows 10
Browser
Chrome 58.0.3029.110
Flash version
Status
in home
Entitlements
clinear, tve-linear, est, cdvr, tve-vod, cvod
Last fingerprint
cloudtv_web_polymer_0_prod_1496708437006_43089
Stream provider
primetime
Video ID
V6659196452903632400L200584520606000017
Media ID
comcast:dvr:schedule:V6659196452903632400L200584520606000017
Error code
Error description
Error aux info
https://xtvapi.cloudtv.comcast.net/recording/V6659196452903632400L200584520606000017/stream.m3u8?rec...
Video Provider
USAHD
Video Source
Video Title
Airdate: 6/6

your chome is behind (version 59 is latest) after you update check for windows updates and install/restart. same problem? does the same thing happen when using an android/iOS device to view the stream?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon