New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV App not downloading complete shows

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

TV App not downloading complete shows

In the past couple weeks, I have seen more and more of my shows that I try to download from my DVR to the TV App are not completely downloading. I'm getting only about 10 minutes of the show. The app is showing the show as complete and ready to watch, but when I start it only shows the shorter time on the time line. The show does start to play as if it's ok. 

Anyone else have this? It's really frustrating as I travel a lot and want to watch shows on the plane. 

Accepted Solution

Re: TV App not downloading complete shows

pbrown95 wrote:

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I've been busy!

I am still having this issue. I thought it was limited to one particular show, but this week I was only able to download 10 minutes of Designated Survivor, a 60 minute show on my DVR.

I have tried on both my iPad and iPhone. Both shows will only download the first 10 minutes.

tv.xfinity.com also gives me only 10 minutes of the show when trying to watch in the browser. So it is probably a Xfinity backend problem?

The randomness is what is so annoying. HBO shows work pretty consistently. Basic cable shows seem to have the most trouble, and broadcast stations have been fine up until now.

I wonder if not many people use this feature? Or I'm just unlucky? Try a new main DVR?

Sorry you're having trouble. It is most likely that the Cloud DVR failed to record the entire show for some reason. That is why the download and streaming both show a truncated duration. The Cloud DVR is separate from your physical DVR so swapping that hardware will have no impact. 

No excuses but, as you can imagine, Cloud DVR is pretty advanced technology and still being fine tuned. At Comcast's scale, at any point in time, we are recording tens of millions of recordings to virtual DVRs across about 12,000 channels across the country. The Cloud DVR team is continually working on improving the reliability so hopefully these failures diminish over time.

"Designated Survivor" is also available On Demand to help fill in this gap.

Again, sorry.

-ComcastDan

View answer in context
Service Expert

pbrown95 wrote:

In the past couple weeks, I have seen more and more of my shows that I try to download from my DVR to the TV App are not completely downloading. I'm getting only about 10 minutes of the show. The app is showing the show as complete and ready to watch, but when I start it only shows the shorter time on the time line. The show does start to play as if it's ok. 

Anyone else have this? It's really frustrating as I travel a lot and want to watch shows on the plane. 

does the progress bar show the proper length end time (like 1:00 for 1 hour)?  have you tried logging out of the app, uninstalling and reinstalling the app and logging back in to see if that restores your playback time?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The progress bar does not show the proper time. It shows only the actual time of the download, usually about 9:00 for a 30 min show. 

I have tried logging out/in but not reinstalling. Will do that next. 

Seems like more more of a server side issue but will report back. 

Frequent Visitor

Deleted, reinstalled, relogged in, same behavior. 

Screen shot attached. Should be a 31 minute recording. All is fine on actual DVR.

IMG_0619.PNG
Service Expert

pbrown95 wrote:

Deleted, reinstalled, relogged in, same behavior. 

Screen shot attached. Should be a 31 minute recording. All is fine on actual DVR.

on your ipad select settings (gear) app. select General. select Storage and iCloud useage. what is shown for your available storage (not iCloud)?

Would you record last 5 minutes of an SD program (on for example TVland or MeTV). Also last 10 minutes of another SD show. download the 5 minute one and see if it works. delete it and download the 10 minute one. did it work?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I have 8.08 GB of space available. I will try some SD shows. Over the weekend, I was able to download 4 shows, two of them gave me the full length show, two of them were shortened. 

Service Expert

pbrown95 wrote:

Thanks. I have 8.08 GB of space available. I will try some SD shows. Over the weekend, I was able to download 4 shows, two of them gave me the full length show, two of them were shortened. 

just thought of something.. try the same shows you downloaded (have to return it first) on the cloud DVR using browser at tv.xfinity.com and see if the show is full length or short there. the copy you get to download is from the cloud DVR.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I was able to try some partial SD recordings and got all of what I should have from those. I also tried some different HD ones and those were good too. I will try your suggestion on the website. 

Rustyben wrote:

pbrown95 wrote:

just thought of something.. try the same shows you downloaded (have to return it first) on the cloud DVR using browser at tv.xfinity.com and see if the show is full length or short there. the copy you get to download is from the cloud DVR.

Service Expert

pbrown95 wrote:

I was able to try some partial SD recordings and got all of what I should have from those. I also tried some different HD ones and those were good too. I will try your suggestion on the website. 

Rustyben wrote:

pbrown95 wrote:

If you are 15 minutes into watching a 30 minute show, and hit record, only the part of the show after hitting record will be recorded. That buffer (per TiVo's enforced patent) can't be recorded without paying TiVo for using their patent. TiVo's (now bought by RoVi) patents expire during the end of this year through the end of 2018.  Time will tell if we get that feature back again.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am still having this issue. I thought it was limited to one particular show, but this week I was only able to download 10 minutes of Designated Survivor, a 60 minute show on my DVR.

I have tried on both my iPad and iPhone. Both shows will only download the first 10 minutes.

tv.xfinity.com also gives me only 10 minutes of the show when trying to watch in the browser. So it is probably a Xfinity backend problem?

The randomness is what is so annoying. HBO shows work pretty consistently. Basic cable shows seem to have the most trouble, and broadcast stations have been fine up until now.

I wonder if not many people use this feature? Or I'm just unlucky? Try a new main DVR?

Service Expert

pbrown95 wrote:

try watching the screen while the download is in progress (the percentage will climb. If you switch to another app, currently the TV app will go idle after some 10 minutes or so of being in the background. We have been told by a comcast employee that the iOS update to 10.1.2 will happen in a week or less and that should allow the download to finish even while in the background and you are using another app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

pbrown95 wrote:

Sorry you're having trouble. It is most likely that the Cloud DVR failed to record the entire show for some reason. That is why the download and streaming both show a truncated duration. The Cloud DVR is separate from your physical DVR so swapping that hardware will have no impact. 

No excuses but, as you can imagine, Cloud DVR is pretty advanced technology and still being fine tuned. At Comcast's scale, at any point in time, we are recording tens of millions of recordings to virtual DVRs across about 12,000 channels across the country. The Cloud DVR team is continually working on improving the reliability so hopefully these failures diminish over time.

"Designated Survivor" is also available On Demand to help fill in this gap.

Again, sorry.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

This is a tremendously great answer. Thanks for the honesty about the product. I don't imagine that many are really taking advantage of this feature as obsessively as I do, but it has really changed the way I consume TV as a frequent flyer.

It leads me to a question though, are shows still recording to my physical DVR for local use along with the cloud DVR? I was under the impression that once I switched to cloud my local DVR stopped recording things locally. I haven't had any issues with shows not recording properly for home TV use, so I suspect the local DVR is still working.

Thanks again. Looking forward to watching the product improve.

Service Expert

adding (not answering for ComcastDan)...

you can tell the source of any recording playing on your home X1 equipment. While an asset is playing and no menu/progress bar is on the screen, press the OK button. In the upper left corner you will see either "DVR" or a cloud icon followed by "DVR" (this is for recordings made after June 6, 2016). This a a great addition to the feature set of the X1 entertainment equipment.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

pbrown95 wrote:

This is a tremendously great answer. Thanks for the honesty about the product. I don't imagine that many are really taking advantage of this feature as obsessively as I do, but it has really changed the way I consume TV as a frequent flyer.

It leads me to a question though, are shows still recording to my physical DVR for local use along with the cloud DVR? I was under the impression that once I switched to cloud my local DVR stopped recording things locally. I haven't had any issues with shows not recording properly for home TV use, so I suspect the local DVR is still working.

Thanks again. Looking forward to watching the product improve.

Appreciate the compliment.

Yes, when you have Cloud DVR, recordings take place on both the physical DVR and in the Cloud. At this point, it is more efficient on the network to play back local recordings from the physical DVR when they are available. As stated in my previous post, we fall back to the Cloud DVR for playback on your TV if there was a failure on the physical DVR recording. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to do the opposite if the Cloud recording fails which is why you'll generally experience these as missing or corrupted recordings on your mobile device or PC. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation