Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

TV App freezes some downloaded DVR programing

Contributor

TV App freezes some downloaded DVR programing

Using an iPad Pro, with OS 10.2 and the Xfinity TV App.  

I am recording programs from X1 DVR at home.  I download the program to my iPad Pro at home on my Xfinity wifi network using the TV app.  The download is successful.

When I use the App, I turn the wifi OFF.  I select the downloaded program and push WATCH.  But as it plays, some programs (but not all) will freeze up during playback.  Rarely at the start - most of the time 10-15 minutes into a 60 minute show.

Sometimes, I am able to push the 15 sec forward button and the downloaded program will start playing again (but 15 seconds forward).  Other times, the program will reset itself back to time 0:00:00 and ask me to start playing it again.  If I use the manual time slider, I can push the timeline past the "freeze point" and the TV App will play from that point.  (or at least until it hits another freeze point)

Interestingly, I returned one program that seemed to freeze every couple minutes to X1 cloud and watched it at home - without a single freeze up!!  Re-downloaded the program to the iPad/TV app - and it still froze up every couple minutes.

This happens more frequently with sports programs than regular shows.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
Expert

Re: TV App freezes some downloaded DVR programing

ust82gopher wrote:

Using an iPad Pro, with OS 10.2 and the Xfinity TV App.  

I am recording programs from X1 DVR at home.  I download the program to my iPad Pro at home on my Xfinity wifi network using the TV app.  The download is successful.

When I use the App, I turn the wifi OFF.  I select the downloaded program and push WATCH.  But as it plays, some programs (but not all) will freeze up during playback.  Rarely at the start - most of the time 10-15 minutes into a 60 minute show.

Sometimes, I am able to push the 15 sec forward button and the downloaded program will start playing again (but 15 seconds forward).  Other times, the program will reset itself back to time 0:00:00 and ask me to start playing it again.  If I use the manual time slider, I can push the timeline past the "freeze point" and the TV App will play from that point.  (or at least until it hits another freeze point)

Interestingly, I returned one program that seemed to freeze every couple minutes to X1 cloud and watched it at home - without a single freeze up!!  Re-downloaded the program to the iPad/TV app - and it still froze up every couple minutes.

This happens more frequently with sports programs than regular shows.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?

the home DVR recording records what is on your coax line. The cloud DVR copy is recorded at one of two (last I heard) Comcast head-end-in-the-sky (aka cloud) centers fed by glass fiber from the providers/local stations. Sometimes there may be problems in the signal received by either the home or the cloud DVR. The cloud DVR can't play back the local DVR recordings (from set top boxes) but the home DVRs can play back cloud recordings made since mid-June 2016 that are still on the cloud DVR.

Contributor

Rustyben,

It was my understanding that with the Xfinity Cloud service, any recorded program rests in the cloud - there is nothing stored locally on any of my cable boxes.

So if I record a program - its in the cloud.

If I watch it at home, it comes down from the cloud to my Xfinity Box then to the TV

If I watch on my iPad, it comes down from the same cloud, to my TV App then to the iPad.

So in both cases, the cloud transfers the program.  So if there was a cloud problem, I should experience it on both TV and iPad.  But I do not - my problem is iPad only.

So the next possibility is that the Xfinity 1 Box or the TV App is not working properly in transferring the cloud info to the device.  I am starting to believe there are bugs in the TV app.

Does this make sense?

Tim

Problem Solver

ust82gopher wrote:

Rustyben,

It was my understanding that with the Xfinity Cloud service, any recorded program rests in the cloud - there is nothing stored locally on any of my cable boxes.

So if I record a program - its in the cloud.

If I watch it at home, it comes down from the cloud to my Xfinity Box then to the TV

If I watch on my iPad, it comes down from the same cloud, to my TV App then to the iPad.

So in both cases, the cloud transfers the program.  So if there was a cloud problem, I should experience it on both TV and iPad.  But I do not - my problem is iPad only.

So the next possibility is that the Xfinity 1 Box or the TV App is not working properly in transferring the cloud info to the device.  I am starting to believe there are bugs in the TV app.

Does this make sense?

Tim

Your understanding is incorrect. Your set-top DVR box has a hard drive that records programs locally. IF you have the Cloud DVR rate code on your account, when you schedule a recording, that recording should occur BOTH locally on your set-top box and the Cloud DVR server.

When you watch a recording from your set-top box, that recording should come from the hard drive on the set-top DVR box. Even non DVR set-top boxes pull the recordings from the local DVR hard drive.

The only time it won't is if there was a problem with the recording happening on the set-top box at the scheduled time (i.e. a power failure at your home, etc). Then the recording can be streamed from the Cloud server to your set top box (as long as it is available), but the default is first the local hard drive.

Anything you watch on a smartphone/tablet is ONLY streamed from the Cloud server.