Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,747,184

members

72

online now

1,905,782

discussions

Back to Top

Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Frequent Visitor

Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

The new TV app in iOS 10.2 & AppleTV allows a single sign on via a "TV Provider" setting. Currently, several of your competitors (CenturyLink, DirectTV, Dish, etc) are available. 

 

When will xfinity support this?

Service Expert

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


ZoneMaster wrote:

The new TV app in iOS 10.2 & AppleTV allows a single sign on via a "TV Provider" setting. Currently, several of your competitors (CenturyLink, DirectTV, Dish, etc) are available. 

 

When will xfinity support this?


for iOS smart devices install the Xfinity TV app. Login once and you are ready to use the app. Apple TV will use the browser to access https://tv.xfinity.com/ and that will require a login each time.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

That doesn't answer my question. I already do that (X1 TV app).

Please don't answer unless you are answering my actual question.
Service Expert

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


ZoneMaster wrote:

The new TV app in iOS 10.2 & AppleTV allows a single sign on via a "TV Provider" setting. Currently, several of your competitors (CenturyLink, DirectTV, Dish, etc) are available. 

 

When will xfinity support this?


What does it do that signing on to the TV App doesn't do?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

It provides alternative access to TV network apps using a single sign-on option. The new TV app provides a unified portal to TV & movies on all iOS devices & AppleTV 4th gen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207254
New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Why can I not access Xfinity on my 4Gen Apple TV.  


New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Why is Comcast always the last to play well with others! Apple TV is light years ahead of your dull and glitchy app! They have every other company for single sign in so we can access multiple apps in one app but as per usual Comcast has to control how we watch tv right up until they can no longer be out of the loop! No Airplay from their app to Apple TV! They were the last to allow us to sign on to apps on Apple TV like HBO etc! It's always the same story with Comcast! Always late to the Party!!!!!!!!!!!
Service Expert

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


bryanrobertson wrote:
Why is Comcast always the last to play well with others! Apple TV is light years ahead of your dull and glitchy app! They have every other company for single sign in so we can access multiple apps in one app but as per usual Comcast has to control how we watch tv right up until they can no longer be out of the loop! No Airplay from their app to Apple TV! They were the last to allow us to sign on to apps on Apple TV like HBO etc! It's always the same story with Comcast! Always late to the Party!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast is charged by outlet by the providers of the programming and that is why you must pay per outlet that is connected to a TV.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

This has nothing to do with the per-outlet issue. If you are a paid subscriber to a channel via Comcast, you can currently log into the individual channel provider apps via a clunky per app procedure: (1) get a login code in the app, (2) navigate the the suggested web site, & (3) enter the code - REPEAT FOR EACH PROVIDER.

The iOS provides a single, one-time login to ALL supported apps.
Service Expert

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


ZoneMaster wrote:
This has nothing to do with the per-outlet issue. If you are a paid subscriber to a channel via Comcast, you can currently log into the individual channel provider apps via a clunky per app procedure: (1) get a login code in the app, (2) navigate the the suggested web site, & (3) enter the code - REPEAT FOR EACH PROVIDER.

The iOS provides a single, one-time login to ALL supported apps.

bryanrobertson's post was about apple TV (connected to/part of a TV). You may state what you like but understand that other than using the TV as a monitor with a desk/laptop computer all TVs require a set top box (paid outlet) to play your Comcast subscription via your Cable TV service. The Roku is currently in a free beta and as such temporarily an exception. 




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

You may be an xfinity expert, but you have NO CLUE how the individual channel apps work on iOS & AppleTV.  Currently, there are three legal, supported, & available methods to watch channels that I subscribe to, via xfinity: 

 

(1) Via set-top box: This gives me access to current broadcasts & whatever xfinity decides to include via on-demand. I pay a fee for each DVR/outlet connected TV.

 

(2) Via the xfinity iOS app: This gives me the same access as option (1) above. There is no charge to use the app.

 

(3) Via individual channel apps (NBC, ABC, TBS, etc) on iOS & tvOS: This is the purpose of my original post & this entire thread. If a channel is included in my xfinity service, I can log into that app via a multi-step process, & view for free channel provider features, clips, & full episodes - including items not available by default via the xfinity app.

 

Several months ago, Apple introduced the TV app & a new way to connect to these channel specific apps: Single Sign-on. This option is supported by DirectTV, Dish, CenturyLink, & many other cable providers (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207035).

 

Please use your "EXPERT" status & tell Comcast to join the bandwagon, NOW!

 

~Stan

 

 

Problem Solver

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


Rustyben wrote:

bryanrobertson wrote:
Why is Comcast always the last to play well with others! Apple TV is light years ahead of your dull and glitchy app! They have every other company for single sign in so we can access multiple apps in one app but as per usual Comcast has to control how we watch tv right up until they can no longer be out of the loop! No Airplay from their app to Apple TV! They were the last to allow us to sign on to apps on Apple TV like HBO etc! It's always the same story with Comcast! Always late to the Party!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast is charged by outlet by the providers of the programming and that is why you must pay per outlet that is connected to a TV.


http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/iPhone-iPad-to-tv/m-p/2938003#M8638

Service Expert

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


ZoneMaster wrote:

You may be an xfinity expert, but you have NO CLUE how the individual channel apps work on iOS & AppleTV.  Currently, there are three legal, supported, & available methods to watch channels that I subscribe to, via xfinity: 

 

(1) Via set-top box: This gives me access to current broadcasts & whatever xfinity decides to include via on-demand. I pay a fee for each DVR/outlet connected TV.

 

(2) Via the xfinity iOS app: This gives me the same access as option (1) above. There is no charge to use the app.

 

(3) Via individual channel apps (NBC, ABC, TBS, etc) on iOS & tvOS: This is the purpose of my original post & this entire thread. If a channel is included in my xfinity service, I can log into that app via a multi-step process, & view for free channel provider features, clips, & full episodes - including items not available by default via the xfinity app.

 

Several months ago, Apple introduced the TV app & a new way to connect to these channel specific apps: Single Sign-on. This option is supported by DirectTV, Dish, CenturyLink, & many other cable providers (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207035).

 

Please use your "EXPERT" status & tell Comcast to join the bandwagon, NOW!

 

~Stan


yet again, the point is the Xfinity service provided 'signal' is not allowed to be connected to a TV (via HDMI) except through a set top box or currently through a Roku without payment for the outlet (assigned to an outlet). 3rd party providers can do as they will (like Chromecast). Is there something not clear on the restrictions on connecting a TV to a mobile device via HDMI?




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Is it not clear that I am NOT talking about an HDMI connection or a TV? Do you not read my whole comment?

I am talking about Apple SINGLE SIGN-ON support. This provides an easy way to sign on to individual channel provider apps that I already am allowed to access due to my xfinity subscription.

Why do you continually avoid answering my question & keep harping on HDMI connections?

I want xfinity to support Single Sign-on for iOS & tvOS, just like their competitors do.

~Stan
New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

He clearly does not own or use apple TV I came here to see a solution but unfortunately there is none. bummer

New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

NO - This didn't answer ZoneMaster question, and i have the same question.  Why oh why does Comcast not support what most do.  Time Warner and Comcast the two hold outs refuse to get on board and join the next generation!  I have the Xfinity TV app... that doesn't do what Apple TV does.  Apple TV is light years ahead of Comcast.  I wish that an actual comcast rep would answer instead of an 'expert' that can't really help.

New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

I have the same question, that guy obviously has no clue what your talking about. It's pretty frustrating. I've used all Apple products ever since the classic macintosh. I feel trapped. I moved up here from so cal & have no choice for internet or cable except to use Xfinity/Comcast. They are def behind! It would make a lot of people very happy customers if they grew a bit with tech advances in the present and future! Absolutely nothing wrong with being on the cutting edge of technology and they could do it if they chose to.

New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

I can guarantee that Comcast does not support Apple TV because they want us to use their on-demand service. They make more money that way and can control how we watch TV. They also don't support the STARZ app. Again, it all comes down to the fact that Comcast has horrible customer service. AT&T are about to move in and I can't wait to switch!
Official Employee

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Hi Hal0, the information provided above is correct. XFINITY Stream app is currently not supported on:

  • Windows phones and tablets
  • Roku
  • Apple TV
  • Smart TVs



Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

That still doesn't provide an answer to the original question, which was very clearly stated.

We wouldn't expect the Xfinity app to be available on the 4th gen Apple TV. However, we do have your (Xfinity/Comcast) content provider apps on the Apple TV. From a browser we can go to the content provider website (i.e. Comedy Central) and stream episodes using an Xfinity login. The question is... why is this not an option within the 4th generation Apple TV? Or if it is, how is it accomplished? Because hundreds of other cable companies are listed but Comcast is nowhere to be found.
Regular Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

The new beta of Apple’s iPhone and iPad operating system — called iOS 11 beta 3 — that Apple provided to app developers on Monday lists a slew of new TV providers, including AT&T U-verse, Cable One, CenturyLink, Charter Spectrum, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Mediacom, TWC Spectrum and Verizon Fios. The new beta for the Apple TV operating system — called tvOS beta 3 — also launched on Monday, but it’s not clear yet whether the new providers are included in that beta
Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

One more reason to look forward to Sep 19th!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Confirmed. Comcast/XFINITY is now an available option on iOS/tvOS 11.

New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

yes is is avalable as an option but it tells you that you cannot use single sign on.  It clearly states that you will have to sign on with every app.  Single Sign-On does not work with apple tv.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Not all apps support single sign on. It does work for the few that currently do. Now we need to get the channel app providers to get on board.
New Poster

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

I just bought a new Apple TV and I would like to use the HGTV app. It asked I sign in through my provider, I’ve done that with my last Apple TV no problem until Comcast and Xfinity are not listed as a provider. App after app and no Comcast, am I missing something? Any information would be helpful.
Service Expert

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV


sigep93 wrote:
I just bought a new Apple TV and I would like to use the HGTV app. It asked I sign in through my provider, I’ve done that with my last Apple TV no problem until Comcast and Xfinity are not listed as a provider. App after app and no Comcast, am I missing something? Any information would be helpful.

If Xfinity nor Comcast is listed then there is no agreement (read that as no money demanded by the 3rd party from Comcast) then no login available. Imagine our bill from Xfinity if each channel charged every customer (most don't use them) for 50 or 100 app access fees.




Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Questions:

  1. What model was your old AppleTV?
  2. What model is your new AppleTV?
  3. Do you have tvOS 11 installed on your new AppleTV?
  4. Did you select Comcast/XFINITY as the TV provider in the AppleTV settings?

Some channel apps still use individual sign-ins. Others use the new TV Provider option available since tvOS 10. Comcast/XFINITY was added to the list in tvOS 11.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Support for TV Provider Login on iOS & AppleTV

Also, I should add, you are only entitled to view a channel on iOS or tvOS if you have that channel is part of your paid subscription. Most channels allow this. Hallmark currently does not. I am not sure about HGTV.