Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Stream tv app

New Poster

Stream tv app

When will the issue be resolved so that my tv dvr and stream app show the same amount of space used up by recordings.  The app is way off - so much higher than the tv dvr.  I was told by xfinity escalation team the issue is wide spread and they are working on it.

the tv and app have the same amount of recordings.  So frustrating!  If the app continues to go higher for space used, some of the programs will not appear on the app, only the tv.  I use the app a lot for viewing my recordings.

Official Employee

Re: Stream tv app

Ellieboulder wrote:

When will the issue be resolved so that my tv dvr and stream app show the same amount of space used up by recordings.  The app is way off - so much higher than the tv dvr.  I was told by xfinity escalation team the issue is wide spread and they are working on it.

the tv and app have the same amount of recordings.  So frustrating!  If the app continues to go higher for space used, some of the programs will not appear on the app, only the tv.  I use the app a lot for viewing my recordings.

The Cloud DVR stores 60 hours of recording while the physical DVR holds over 100 hours. Very sorry that the support team is not aware of this and gave you incorrect information.  Please see the Cloud DVR FAQ for more info:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastDan, I know this is a reply to a post from you over 10 months ago, but I noticed this same issue on the app storage (cloud DVR) compared to the DVR device storage and wanted to verify that the cloud DVR storage was substantially less than the device storage.

Your response here answered that question.

But it reminded me of another question (even newer than this) that was archived with no answer, so I can't ask there.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/DVR-recenty-deleted-list-is-deleting-shows-on-its-own/td-p/...

Does the 100/60 (device/cloud) hour recording difference explain why deleted recordings are removed from the Recently Deleted list on the device when they haven't been cleared manually and the DVR device itself is no where near 100% capacity?

If that is the case, then this answer should be applied to that archived post.

In using the mobile app I see the same deleted recording list that the DVR device itself shows. But if the cloud DVR can only handle a max of 60 hours, then the 100 hour capacity of the DVR device is NOT the controlling factor of when space is required for new recordings and recordings in the recently deleted list are removed from the DVR device. If the deleted recordings are also syncing to the cloud DVR, the cloud DVR capacity (being less by 40 hours) is the controlling factor of when space is required for new recordings, not the DVR device capacity.

Is that correct?

Service Expert

@eraym wrote:

ComcastDan, I know this is a reply to a post from you over 10 months ago, but I noticed this same issue on the app storage (cloud DVR) compared to the DVR device storage and wanted to verify that the cloud DVR storage was substantially less than the device storage.

Your response here answered that question.

But it reminded me of another question (even newer than this) that was archived with no answer, so I can't ask there.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/DVR-recenty-deleted-list-is-deleting-shows-on-its-own/td-p/...

Does the 100/60 (device/cloud) hour recording difference explain why deleted recordings are removed from the Recently Deleted list on the device when they haven't been cleared manually and the DVR device itself is no where near 100% capacity?

If that is the case, then this answer should be applied to that archived post.

In using the mobile app I see the same deleted recording list that the DVR device itself shows. But if the cloud DVR can only handle a max of 60 hours, then the 100 hour capacity of the DVR device is NOT the controlling factor of when space is required for new recordings and recordings in the recently deleted list are removed from the DVR device. If the deleted recordings are also syncing to the cloud DVR, the cloud DVR capacity (being less by 40 hours) is the controlling factor of when space is required for new recordings, not the DVR device capacity.

Is that correct?

the cloud DVR is 60 hours. the home DVR is based on space available (in in what format like mix of HD/SD, mpeg2 and mpeg4). The cloud DVR is a free add on service and if it becomes full recordings will drop off as needed not affecting the home DVR. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Rustyben, I fully understand what you are saying, but that is not my question at all.

The standard answer for the DVR device as to when deleted recordings are removed from the Recently Deleted (RD) folder is:

1), you clear the folder manually by deleting all content,

2) you delete an individual recording in the folder manually, or

3) the DVR device requires more space for new recording(s) and it deletes recordings in the RD folder

This answer may ONLY be correct up to the time the cloud DVR service was added.

But, what is really happening is recordings in the RD folder are removed every few days by some other method, no one manually removes them and the DVR device may only be 40% full - therefore NOT requiring additional space yet to record new programs on the DVR device itself.

The question in the other post was asked as to why this happened and there was no answer ever posted as to why this happens on the DVR device.

My question here is simple:

Because of the syncing between the DVR device (about 100 hrs max) and the cloud DVR (about 60 hrs max), and the fact that the syncing ALSO syncs the RD folder, if the cloud DVR requires more space for new recordings that will fit on the DVR device with no issues, will the cloud DVR actually remove content in the cloud DVR folder and THAT REMOVAL syncs back to the DVR device and removes the same recordings in the RD folder on the DVR device even though it isn't required on the DVR device?

I know the cloud DVR service is a free add-on.

I know the DVR device holds about 100 hours of recordings.

I know the cloud DVR holds about 60 hours of recordings.

BUT I also know that the cloud DVR is SYNCED to the home DVR device. But not the full impacts of that syncing.

That could mean the controlling factor for automatically deleting items in the RD folder on the DVR device where space available is not an issue (the answer to the question that was never answered) could be related to the cloud DVR requiring more space for new recordings, and then syncing to the DVR device and removing them there also.

Because of the space differences and the deleted recordings also being present, but not included in the number of current recordings and (from doing simple math) I don't think the deleted recordings are included in the % space used either.

That leads to a situation as in this example:

DVR device        % Used      cloud DVR            % Used

40 1 hr current       40%        40 1 hr current         66%      What we normally see as space being used

10 1 hr deleted       10%        10 1 hr deleted        17%      Not really reported, just the number present

12 1 hr new             12%       12 1 hr new              20%     

62%                                        103%    Total space required to hold everything

In this example the cloud DVR would be required to free up space and the logical (& correct) place to start is in the RD folder. In this example the cloud DVR would probably delete a minimum of 4 recordings from the RD folder.

But then does it sync those deletions back to the DVR device?

If it does, then that easily explains why recordings just disappear from the RD folder on the DVR device when no person did it and no new recordings required it to happen. Hence, my question to ComcastDan related to the lesser space available on the cloud DVR.

I also know that people say it's not an issue as anything in the RD folder has been deleted by "someone" to begin with, so what's the issue.

The issue is that when more than 1 PERSON has access to the DVR device or cloud DVR and they watch something recorded by SOMEONE ELSE, then delete it, the person who actually requested the recording may never get to watch them as they disappeared before they even realize SOMEONE ELSE deleted them!

This never happened prior to the cloud DVR service being introduced. So given the 40% less space available on the cloud DVR, it is important to know what is happening with the syncing between the 2 sources to understand the impacts on the DVR device. It should be simple for the engineers who wrote the code for the cloud DVR service to document fully how it impacts the DVR device when the storage space available is so different.

I also know this really is an expansion of the question originally asked here, but it is related.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation