Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Stream TV

Frequent Visitor

Stream TV

Here's something I don't see discussed here. I don't have a cable package; I have StreamTV. Since there is STILL no Roku app (or smart TV app for that matter), to watch content on our TVs we've been using - as instructed by xfinity - separate network apps for HBO, NBC, etc., which give us access through the xfinity account.

Until recently...

A couple weeks ago these apps all asked for reactivation via entering a displayed code. When I follow instructions and enter the code on the provided URL (e.g., nbc.cm/activate) I'm sent to the xfinity site and a message telling me the network is not included in my service. 

Over the past week, I've had 4 chats on xfinity.com to try to solve this issue. Each chat was long because you need to find an 'analyst' who knows about StreamTV or tell them enough about it that they'll be able to contribute. Each chat ended with a tech phone call scheduled, but no phone calls received. My internet service started to suffer from outages (perhaps due to techs working on the problem?).

Last night I called the hotline provided to discuss. Ended up being told that because these networks ARE part of my service, my issue is with Roku.

I was sceptical since Roku is a hardware company and the issue seems to be that the apps aren't getting the proper authentication. The (patient) guy at Roku ended up by confirming this, passing the buck to the networks. I haven't bothered asking the HBOgo people since their apps are doing what they are supposed to - and they've been working fine up to now. If all of them are unable to reactivate then the problem must be elsewhere.

Here's my speculation: Is it coincidence that this problem occured after the end of 2016 when xfinity promised we'd be happily watching Colbert on our Roku xfinity TV app? Did the agreements to carry Roku viewers on those apps expire? Is it coincidence that my monthly internet charges just doubled for no reason (rate was NOT a limited time deal).

So far, I haven't found any answers and this is extremely frustrating, especially since I'm seeing plenty of press for competitor streaming services. 

Anyone else having a problem like this? Any help from moderators?

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming Service

gamera23 wrote:

Here's something I don't see discussed here. I don't have a cable package; I have StreamTV. Since there is STILL no Roku app (or smart TV app for that matter), to watch content on our TVs we've been using - as instructed by xfinity - separate network apps for HBO, NBC, etc., which give us access through the xfinity account.

Until recently...

A couple weeks ago these apps all asked for reactivation via entering a displayed code. When I follow instructions and enter the code on the provided URL (e.g., nbc.cm/activate) I'm sent to the xfinity site and a message telling me the network is not included in my service. 

Over the past week, I've had 4 chats on xfinity.com to try to solve this issue. Each chat was long because you need to find an 'analyst' who knows about StreamTV or tell them enough about it that they'll be able to contribute. Each chat ended with a tech phone call scheduled, but no phone calls received. My internet service started to suffer from outages (perhaps due to techs working on the problem?).

Last night I called the hotline provided to discuss. Ended up being told that because these networks ARE part of my service, my issue is with Roku.

I was sceptical since Roku is a hardware company and the issue seems to be that the apps aren't getting the proper authentication. The (patient) guy at Roku ended up by confirming this, passing the buck to the networks. I haven't bothered asking the HBOgo people since their apps are doing what they are supposed to - and they've been working fine up to now. If all of them are unable to reactivate then the problem must be elsewhere.

Here's my speculation: Is it coincidence that this problem occured after the end of 2016 when xfinity promised we'd be happily watching Colbert on our Roku xfinity TV app? Did the agreements to carry Roku viewers on those apps expire? Is it coincidence that my monthly internet charges just doubled for no reason (rate was NOT a limited time deal).

So far, I haven't found any answers and this is extremely frustrating, especially since I'm seeing plenty of press for competitor streaming services. 

Anyone else having a problem like this? Any help from moderators?

I moved this to X1 for now you might want to edit your post's subject to reflect streaming servcie. I've asked for input from the forum admins on proper area for Xfinity Streaming questions.

That said.. I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Re: Xfinity TV on Roku

Admin1

Hi gamera23 -- I reviewed your account and a support ticket has been opened for further investigation into your issue. Some questions I had for this, are you seeing this issue only when you're accessing these networks through Roku? Do you see any authentication errors if you use Xfinity TV App, web portal, or direct network apps themselves? 

To clear some things up about your Internet; your service rate is a limited time deal however that's not why it changed. Your offer gave you an extra discount when you sign up for EcoBill & AutoPay. You're given time to sign up for those and this discount is applied initially however if you don't sign up for them then that discount goes away. Since you didn't sign up for EcoBill & AutoPay that discount went away as intended so you saw a rate difference. Your Internet issues are due to signal degradation. These signal issues will cause your Internet service to suffer connectivity issues or slow speeds. You would need a tech to resolve those issues. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response. The xfinityTV app and others work fine on iPad, iPhone, and we can access the tv.xfinity.com site. As far as I can tell the issue is only with the network Roku apps like NBC, HBOgo, etc.

I did sign up for ecobill & autopay but never received confirmation. Also, I was not told by reps that the price was dependent on this fine print item. But then, my paper bill still has the wrong name on it, even though I corrected it on my account.

My service interruptions (requiring router reboot) began right after I reported this issue with the apps, never before, and don't seem to be tied to usage. We've had dropouts when only one person is home using an iPad.

Thanks again, and I hope we can resolve this problem soon. Are we near release of an xfinity app for Roku or Smart TV?

Admin1

Since the apps are working with all other avenues besides Roku, then the issue starts to point to Roku. Your support ticket will still be worked in order to verify where this issue is occurring from.

Your account does not show EcoBill & AutoPay were activated. You can try activating them again which does re-apply that discount to your account. 

You may still see those connection issues as long as these signal issues are present. If you do continue to see them then I would have a tech come out.

We were initially shooting for end of 2016 for Partnership App launch. Development has taken longer than anticipated. We are looking at this year for launch but have not set a launch date yet. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I do not use the network  apps on iPhone, etc. because xfinityTV app works fine. But since this raises an issue I decided to try a couple on my phone.

I'd used the HBOgo app on my iPhone once before. Dialog asked me to choose my provider, after which I was once again sent to the xfinity HBO page. Downloaded the NBC app and tried to watch a show. Dialog asked for my provider to log in, then loaded a login dialog. Entered my username and password. Message reads "This network is not included in your XFINITY TV service. This page is on the xfinity site and is the same one that results when I try to activate the Roku apps. 

So the login from networks is now not recognizing my Stream TV subscription as an xfinity TV service, whereas it did recognize it and allow access a few weeks ago.

Roku and Apple iPhone do not have anything to do with the function of these apps and how they authenticate a login. There has been a change in how the software runs a login, how it obtains account data, or how the account is identified.

Tags (3)
Admin1

Thanks for the update. As stated before, our support team will still work through your ticket to find what's causing that to happen. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Service Expert

gamera23 wrote:

I do not use the network  apps on iPhone, etc. because xfinityTV app works fine. But since this raises an issue I decided to try a couple on my phone.

I'd used the HBOgo app on my iPhone once before. Dialog asked me to choose my provider, after which I was once again sent to the xfinity HBO page. Downloaded the NBC app and tried to watch a show. Dialog asked for my provider to log in, then loaded a login dialog. Entered my username and password. Message reads "This network is not included in your XFINITY TV service. This page is on the xfinity site and is the same one that results when I try to activate the Roku apps. 

So the login from networks is now not recognizing my Stream TV subscription as an xfinity TV service, whereas it did recognize it and allow access a few weeks ago.

Roku and Apple iPhone do not have anything to do with the function of these apps and how they authenticate a login. There has been a change in how the software runs a login, how it obtains account data, or how the account is identified.

to test the NBC app on my home network I streamed this is us series current episode. after commercial the episode began playing. did you try logging out of the NBC app or perhaps deleting it and reinstalling the app?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for trying to help, but this was a fresh install of the NBC app on my iPhone.

another factor making things confusing is that some content on network apps is available without a provider, so I need to be sure when testing that I'm testing the right content.

Admin1

gamera23 -- Our support team is indicating this issue is resolved. Can you confirm? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

No I cannot confirm as nothing has been done to identify the source of the problem and remedy it.

Admin1

I'll check with our support team again to see if I can get you more answers. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I will be trying this out if available tonight.

http://usat.ly/2jRM49T

Admin1

Ok. Keep us updated. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation