Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Stream TV Extortion because cable box needed can't use with fire tv

Regular Visitor

Stream TV Extortion because cable box needed can't use with fire tv

I pay for Comcast internet and tv. But I do not have my television hooked up to cable because I do not have a comcast box. That would be additional money per month. I am able to watch all the tv channels I pay for using the stream TV app. However I am blocked from viewing them on my television. Instead limited to viewing the app on devices like a phone or tablet. The whole family can not gather around a tablet to watch TV at night. For that I want to use my tv. Why is Comcast blocking device mirroring to a tv, connecting a device to the tv with HDMI, and blocking the use of the stream TV app on a multitude of smart TV devices (firetv etc). <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. It's one thing to say certain devices aren't supported, or aren't supported yet, but to program the app to know when it's being casted or mirrored to a tv or hooked up by an HDMI cable is specifically designed to block me from using it on my tv. What if I am at a hotel and want to hook up to that tv. I am already paying for internet and TV why should I also pay for a cable box. I miss the old days when you just plugged you tv into the wall with coax cable no middle man needed. Get the stream TV app working on firetv or allow mirroring or casting or HDMI connectivity.

Regular Visitor

Re: Stream TV Extortion because cable box needed can't use with fire tv

Just wondering where you able to put the stream tv app on the Firestick? I have a Firestick that I just got for Christmas, and would like to use it when I go on Vacation. Only thing is it seems that every App on the Firestick is blocked by Xfinity.

Service Expert

InfoFreedom wrote:
I pay for Comcast internet and tv. But I do not have my television hooked up to cable because I do not have a comcast box. That would be additional money per month. I am able to watch all the tv channels I pay for using the stream TV app. However I am blocked from viewing them on my television. Instead limited to viewing the app on devices like a phone or tablet. The whole family can not gather around a tablet to watch TV at night. For that I want to use my tv. Why is Comcast blocking device mirroring to a tv, connecting a device to the tv with HDMI, and blocking the use of the stream TV app on a multitude of smart TV devices (firetv etc). I believe it is a legitimate scam forcing already paying customers to pay more for a Comcast box so we can view entertainment on our large tv screens. There is no other reason why in 2018 I cannot use my smart TV device to bypass my cable box and stream TV right from the internet. Please explain how this is not Extortion. It's one thing to say certain devices aren't supported, or aren't supported yet, but to program the app to know when it's being casted or mirrored to a tv or hooked up by an HDMI cable is specifically designed to block me from using it on my tv. What if I am at a hotel and want to hook up to that tv. I am already paying for internet and TV why should I also pay for a cable box. I miss the old days when you just plugged you tv into the wall with coax cable no middle man needed. Get the stream TV app working on firetv or allow mirroring or casting or HDMI connectivity.

are you by chance taking advantage of the instant TV free beta (with cloud DVR and no hardware attached to TV access)?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Kati90 wrote:

Just wondering where you able to put the stream tv app on the Firestick? I have a Firestick that I just got for Christmas, and would like to use it when I go on Vacation. Only thing is it seems that every App on the Firestick is blocked by Xfinity.

when away from your home only a desk/laptop or a smart device (phone or tablet) can access your recordings, many of the on-demand programming, and your TVgo channels (must be in USA).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Rusty,
Have not heard of instant tv free (beta). If no hardware is needed, what does it run on? How does it work?
Regular Visitor

Kati,

No the stream TV app will not work on the Amazon fire TV or fire stick. That's the whole thing. If I can use the app on my Amazon fire tablet, the fire TV uses the same OS, so it will work on fire TV IF Comcast unlocks that ability. By blocking it were forced to use a tiny screen not our 50in TV's without renting another box from Comcast.
Regular Visitor

Rusty,

Just looked it up. First it is only for new customers, I've been on for 15 years. Second, it's not available in my area. Third, it costs $18/month. That further defends my point of Extortion. There is already an app that gives me access to live TV for no more money than I currently pay, it is blocked from my Amazon device because Comcast wants more of my money to give me the same thing I am already getting, just on an actual tv screen. If I used an old desktop and a huge pc monitor in my living room it would work and not cost any more per month. I have a right as a consumer to pick what brand of hardware I want to use to access Comcast's services they are forcing me to is there "brand" so they get a piece of the action. Went through the same thing with TiVo. Comcast tried to chargee for a cable card for my TiVo box. Law says they had to supply one free of charge because I had a right to choose to use tivos box not Comcast's.
Service Expert

InfoFreedom wrote:
Rusty,
Have not heard of instant tv free (beta). If no hardware is needed, what does it run on? How does it work?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Instant-TV-Beta/td-p/2975728

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

InfoFreedom wrote:
Rusty,

Just looked it up. First it is only for new customers, I've been on for 15 years. Second, it's not available in my area. Third, it costs $18/month. That further defends my point of Extortion. There is already an app that gives me access to live TV for no more money than I currently pay, it is blocked from my Amazon device because Comcast wants more of my money to give me the same thing I am already getting, just on an actual tv screen. If I used an old desktop and a huge pc monitor in my living room it would work and not cost any more per month. I have a right as a consumer to pick what brand of hardware I want to use to access Comcast's services they are forcing me to is there "brand" so they get a piece of the action. Went through the same thing with TiVo. Comcast tried to chargee for a cable card for my TiVo box. Law says they had to supply one free of charge because I had a right to choose to use tivos box not Comcast's.

first month is free so you can try it out. by new they mean not current TV set top box customers. It is specifically for established Xfinity internet customers (congrats on the long time with Comcast!). you pick your hardware (pc/laptop/roku) to connect to the TV. for regular TV service you can use devices that accept The cablecard like TiVo so you can own your own equipment. for me, as a customer, I almost got the Tivo system but it has had 2 complete technology upgrades since then with next one on the way. With the tech changing all the time, for me, the way to go is a Comcast rental box. I wish they rented TiVo equipment if they were modern and new like the X1 set top boxes.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

InfoFreedom wrote:

I pay for Comcast internet and tv. But I do not have my television hooked up to cable because I do not have a comcast box. That would be additional money per month. I am able to watch all the tv channels I pay for using the stream TV app. However I am blocked from viewing them on my television. Instead limited to viewing the app on devices like a phone or tablet. The whole family can not gather around a tablet to watch TV at night. For that I want to use my tv. Why is Comcast blocking device mirroring to a tv, connecting a device to the tv with HDMI, and blocking the use of the stream TV app on a multitude of smart TV devices (firetv etc). <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. It's one thing to say certain devices aren't supported, or aren't supported yet, but to program the app to know when it's being casted or mirrored to a tv or hooked up by an HDMI cable is specifically designed to block me from using it on my tv. What if I am at a hotel and want to hook up to that tv. I am already paying for internet and TV why should I also pay for a cable box. I miss the old days when you just plugged you tv into the wall with coax cable no middle man needed. Get the stream TV app working on firetv or allow mirroring or casting or HDMI connectivity.

Use a laptop and the stream website and you can cast or hdmi to a tv. Only option available.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation