Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Starz app not supported

Contributor

Starz app not supported

The apps for Showtime, HBO etc work great, but the app from STARZ is not supported by Comcast / Xfinity.  I called STARZ and they point to Comcast.   I have had a few discussions with Comcast / Xfinity (on the phone as well a chat sessions) and am told that it is the fault of STARZ.  Would someone please fix this?    To watch STARZ on my smartphone and requiring us to log into Xfinity first is very difficult and annoying, please allow the direct app like you do for Showtime, etc. 

Tags (1)
Service Expert

Re: Starz app not supported

wrote:

The apps for Showtime, HBO etc work great, but the app from STARZ is not supported by Comcast / Xfinity.  I called STARZ and they point to Comcast.   I have had a few discussions with Comcast / Xfinity (on the phone as well a chat sessions) and am told that it is the fault of STARZ.  Would someone please fix this?    To watch STARZ on my smartphone and requiring us to log into Xfinity first is very difficult and annoying, please allow the direct app like you do for Showtime, etc. 

Comcast doesn't stand in the way they just are not going to pay Starz and others so some customers can use the 3rd party app.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

This is a terrible excuse from Comcast/Xfinity.

Why is it that EVERY OTHER service provider can be used to log into the Starz app -- except for Comcast? Comcast apparently has no problem with HBO and Showtime. My issue is that certain places block the Xfinity app or website (e.g., airplane Wi-Fi, etc.).

Whereas I can stream HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, I can't stream Starz because the Xfinity app is blocked and Xfinity doesn't support Starz like it does HBO, Showtime, etc. 

If we're PAYING for Starz, why can't we use our Xfinity account to verify that we are customers?

Regular Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Comcast doesn't stand in the way they just are not going to pay Starz and others so some customers can use the 3rd party app.

Then Comcast should at least release their Stream TV app for other devices not just for Roku. No support for Fire TV, Apple TV or Android TV. Either support the 3rd party TV Anywhere apps on all deveices or at least provide an app for all devices. It is ridiculous that Comcast has to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting the technologies of the 21st century. Once the OTT streaming services mature even more there will be better TV service options available.

Service Expert

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Then Comcast should at least release their Stream TV app for other devices not just for Roku. No support for Fire TV, Apple TV or Android TV. Either support the 3rd party TV Anywhere apps on all deveices or at least provide an app for all devices. It is ridiculous that Comcast has to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting the technologies of the 21st century. Once the OTT streaming services mature even more there will be better TV service options available.

Comcast earns revenue by charging per TV outlet (streaming rights are separate) so we pay for each TV connection. Currently you can use a Roku dongle for free during the test beta program or hook up a desk/laptop to the TV via HDMI and use a web browser to play using the TV as a monitor.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Comcast earns revenue using obsolete business practices like the per outlet charge. If it is due to them making bad business deals with the content providers, I guess it is only fair that they pass the ramifications of those bad deals down to their customers. Not that the content providers are any better. They are one of the main reasons our bills are so high. Greed, stubborness and refusal to accept current realities including current technologies is the motto of these businesses.

Comcast is dealing with some of those realities though. As there has been a somewhat large exodus of Comcast TV service subscribers. Now that there are other options available for TV/streaming service. Not that those streaming services are infinitely better. Most of them are owned by big satellite/cable companies. Plus they still have to deal with the stubborn content providers.

Comcast can relish in the fact that they still have a near monopoly in many areas when it comes to broadband service. Since many people really don't have any other option for true broadband internet, Comcast has an almost herculean grip on those customers.
New Poster

Comcast or Starz should provide us with a user name or password for the app, if they are at some sort of impass with allowing the use of the xfinity account to authenticate.
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation