Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Show download painfully slow

Regular Visitor

Show download painfully slow

Recently, downloading shows in the Xfinity Stream TV app have become painfully slow. It could take an hour or more to download a 60 minute show, and often the download is so slow that the download restarts from the beginning. A couple weeks ago this would only take a couple minutes.

I'm on an iPhone X with the newest iOS (11.1.2). This is true whether I'm on Wi-Fi or LTE. My wife's on an older iPhone, older iOS, and older app version and is able to download shows at full speed. Yes, to be clear, we are both on the same Wi-Fi network and she's downloading at full speed while I'm creeping along.

Things I've tried: reinstall Stream TV app, hard reboot phone, reset iPhone network settings, and hard reboot modem/router/cable box.

Anyone have any ideas? Help!

Regular Visitor

Re: Show download painfully slow

Oh, one more thing: things appear to stream at full speed, the problem is only downloading for offline play

Expert

kevin112 wrote:

Recently, downloading shows in the Xfinity Stream TV app have become painfully slow. It could take an hour or more to download a 60 minute show, and often the download is so slow that the download restarts from the beginning. A couple weeks ago this would only take a couple minutes.

I'm on an iPhone X with the newest iOS (11.1.2). This is true whether I'm on Wi-Fi or LTE. My wife's on an older iPhone, older iOS, and older app version and is able to download shows at full speed. Yes, to be clear, we are both on the same Wi-Fi network and she's downloading at full speed while I'm creeping along.

Things I've tried: reinstall Stream TV app, hard reboot phone, reset iPhone network settings, and hard reboot modem/router/cable box.

Anyone have any ideas? Help!

are you on the 5 ghz radio if available? for a 60 minute show the count is at rate of almost one percent per second. Sometimes it is faster (SD especially). yours at about that rate?

Regular Visitor

The speed is the same regardless of 2.4 ghz vs. 5 ghz. My speed used to be what you said -- about 1% per second. Now it's about 1% per 30-60 seconds.

Expert

kevin112 wrote:

The speed is the same regardless of 2.4 ghz vs. 5 ghz. My speed used to be what you said -- about 1% per second. Now it's about 1% per 30-60 seconds.

did you try a hard reboot power cycle of the device? If so, and not fixed, log out of the app and uninstall it and reinstall it, and log back in. did the speed increase?

Regular Visitor

I did all of those things before my first post, it had no effect.
Expert

kevin112 wrote:
I did all of those things before my first post, it had no effect.

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Official Employee

Hi kevin112, slow download speed could be due to a poor signal coming from your modem. I can check into your network and make sure there no issues coming from outside but first I need to verify some information. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same issue - taking 45 minutes to an hour to download an hour program, and often having that program stop downloading and restart the download process due to some erroneous reason.  This seemed to start around 11/30/17 - begging the question if it has anything to do with Comcast pulling the record function for legal reasons?  Tried the same remedies as kevin112, multiple times. No improvement.  Actually seems to be slower this week.  Incidentally, Ookla clocked WiFi speeds at home at over 100 mbs- so WiFi download speed doesn’t seem to be the answer.  Love the streaming app when it works, but this is irritating!

Official Employee

kevin112 wrote: I'm not sure why, but downloads have started going fast again like they used to. Thanks for your help!

RickLoC53, I can assist you with your issue as well. Can you please send me a private message with your account information? 

Regular Visitor

Same here. Just a few days ago this started happening. I can download HQ videos from Netflix with no issue, but even leaving the download process over night isn’t enough to complete even one episode. Ridiculous. To make matter even more interesting, just so happen to get an email from Comcast saying my modem needs to be updated to their new wireless modem. Seems a little too coincidental along with the current net neutrality issue. 

Official Employee

Hi doyoulikemybird, you modem may need to be replaced so that you get all the speed you pay for and I am confident that it will resolve your download issue. You can replace the modem by going into a local Comcast service center or we can ship you one via direct mail. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.